PDA

View Full Version : Jamon Meredith waived; Mansfield Wrotto promoted

Coach Sal
10-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Jamon Meredith waived; OL Mansfield Wrotto promoted to active roster

Coach Sal
10-04-2010, 03:21 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Wrotto-called-up-to-53-Meredith-waived/a84f39ab-09a8-4593-bf6b-9eda3c8e0168

bigbub2352
10-04-2010, 03:22 PM
i dont like that guys name...that being said he has to be better than meredith...who was actually worse than green who is worse than any other RT in the league...so sad

SABURZFAN
10-04-2010, 03:25 PM
seriously, did this help the team get any better? i think not.

patmoran2006
10-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Yep...

trapezeus
10-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Gailey's decision to can people every time the team underperforms will result in no one being able to be canned in week 8.

either way, this make no difference. i'm not sure there is a lot to do now, other than trade for picks and hope those teams fail miserably.

Michael82
10-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Wow! I'm shocked how fast Meredith fell out of favor. I still feel that he was better than Cornell Green and should have gotten a chance at RT....but they both suck.

don137
10-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Wasnt he kind of a head case as far as being motivated and was thought of as lazy in practice? I thought that was a knock on him coming out of college and why he dropped so far. Maybe Gailey was sending a message.

DraftBoy
10-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Another player Gailey coached at Georgia Tech, not a bad player, plays with good strength and leverage, but he's always been more of an OG to me. Not sure how he will fare at OT, not the swiftest on his feet.

Jan Reimers
10-04-2010, 03:57 PM
We're reshaping the roster one very small piece at a time. At this rate, we might be good in 15 or 16 years.

Beebe's Kid
10-04-2010, 04:02 PM
We're reshaping the roster one very small piece at a time. At this rate, we might be good in 15 or 16 years.

Jan, I am disappointed in you!!! This is a 12 year plan.

More seriously though...didn't Nix mention 3 years, on more than one occasion. I thought I had caught them all, but I must have missed the "Week 4" declaration.

HHURRICANE
10-04-2010, 04:03 PM
This is hilarious. Meredith is another guy who got snaps all of OTAs, Camp, and pre-season and we just figured out now that he's not good enough. That's what getting down to the 53 man roster is for.

Now we have another Georgia Tech alum.

Maybe Gailey is trying to get the Tech team back together in another attempt to beat Georgia.

Philagape
10-04-2010, 04:07 PM
This is hilarious. Meredith is another guy who got snaps all of OTAs, Camp, and pre-season and we just figured out now that he's not good enough. That's what getting down to the 53 man roster is for.

Maybe Gailey is trying to get the Tech team back together in another attempt to beat Georgia.

I'll take Georgia minus the spread.

The last buffalo fan
10-04-2010, 04:07 PM

0-17! :ill:

trapezeus
10-04-2010, 04:15 PM
to gailey's defense he is rating players playing other weak players. therefore, big fish in small ponds, seem quite large. Once they are playing the actual talent level they'll be facing, it's probably a little startiling on how bad they are.

YardRat
10-04-2010, 04:17 PM
I haven't had time to catch up on all of the new threads yet, so I'll apologize in advance if this has been addressed elsewhere...

Wrotto being promoted to take Meredith's place means somebody else will lose their roster spot when Nelson is eligible to return.

Buddo
10-04-2010, 05:03 PM

The reason he got those snaps was due to Bell's unavailability coming off of injury.

I think that Gailey's evaluations, are going to be season long, and if you can't perform adequately in actual games, your time will be increasingly numbered.

I also think, that from here on in, we could see a lot of action around the fringes of the roster, with plenty of cuts/signings as they whittle their way through the chaff.

patmoran2006
10-04-2010, 05:06 PM
The reason he got those snaps was due to Bell's unavailability coming off of injury.

I think that Gailey's evaluations, are going to be season long, and if you can't perform adequately in actual games, your time will be increasingly numbered.

I also think, that from here on in, we could see a lot of action around the fringes of the roster, with plenty of cuts/signings as they whittle their way through the chaff.

The issues with Meredith didnt stem from his performances during the games.

TigerJ
10-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Gailey's decision to can people every time the team underperforms will result in no one being able to be canned in week 8.

either way, this make no difference. i'm not sure there is a lot to do now, other than trade for picks and hope those teams fail miserably.

Since Meredith was inactive for the game, I don't think the game results had anything to do with the decision to cut him. The handwriting was on the wall for Meredith having been inactive for two straight games. I agree this move makes no immediate difference, and in the long run it probably means little more than nothing, but whether a team is good or bad it will always try and get better. Some moves will be big and get lots of attention. Some moves are nothing more than minor tweaking. That's what this one was. The team decided Meredith was never going to develop, so they elevated a player that might develop.

better days
10-04-2010, 06:05 PM
to gailey's defense he is rating players playing other weak players. therefore, big fish in small ponds, seem quite large. Once they are playing the actual talent level they'll be facing, it's probably a little startiling on how bad they are.

Plus no hitting is involved. That is why Trent always looked good in practice.

Mad Max
10-04-2010, 06:12 PM
The issues with Meredith didnt stem from his performances during the games.

Hmmm, ok I'll bite. Care to elaborate?

X-Era
10-04-2010, 06:37 PM
How many Guards do we need? I know Urbik and Wrotto have played T, but they really are more guards. So now we have Howard, Urbik, and Wrotto and cut Meredith who played T.

Whos our backup T?

better days
10-04-2010, 06:40 PM
How many Guards do we need? I know Urbik and Wrotto have played T, but they really are more guards. So now we have Howard, Urbik, and Wrotto and cut Meredith who played T.

Whos our backup T?

Maybe Wood gets moved to Center soon & Hang to the bench.

X-Era
10-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Maybe Wood gets moved to Center soon & Hang to the bench.How does this affect our OT situation?

patmoran2006
10-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Hmmm, ok I'll bite. Care to elaborate?

Gonna write more later, but the very short version is he's extremely lazy, doesn't practice well and doesn't work hard in general.

Which from what I remember was also his criticism coming out of college.

DynaPaul
10-04-2010, 07:17 PM
I like the move. Gotta hold the players accountable. I hope we cut some more heads next starting with Kelsay.

zone
10-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Maybe Wood gets moved to Center soon & Hang to the bench.
Right after being named captain?

better days
10-05-2010, 07:24 AM
How does this affect our OT situation?

Just saying the reason for the extra Guard.

Dr. Lecter
10-05-2010, 07:31 AM

Whos our backup T?
Howard has played tackle the last two games.

DraftBoy
10-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Gonna write more later, but the very short version is he's extremely lazy, doesn't practice well and doesn't work hard in general.

Which from what I remember was also his criticism coming out of college.

That is correct.

DraftBoy
10-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Howard has played tackle the last two games.

How has he fared in your opinion?

Howard (like Wrotto and Urbik) has always struck me as more of a OG than OT.

Dr. Lecter
10-05-2010, 08:00 AM
How has he fared in your opinion?

Howard (like Wrotto and Urbik) has always struck me as more of a OG than OT.

He has not played a ton (a series here and a series there). When I saw him Sunday, he did badly miss one block (think a Cornell Green like wiff) and Fitz almost got killed. He did the same thing the week before.

All in all he seems to be fine if he can engage the defender. But he has a pretty good chance of missing the defender. I think he is not quite quick enough on his feet to get a good edge rusher - i.e. Maybin or somebody with his quickness would do well against him.

But he is as good as Green right now (faint praise!) but at least he is young and might impove.

This is all based on a small number of plays at RT.

I almost wonder if putting Levitre at RT and letting Howard play guard would not be worth a shot. Levitre has the footwork - but are his arms OK at RT?

EDS
10-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Anyone else here what the announcers said during the pregame about how Gailey said he doesn't think the o-line is big and strong enough?

None of the current group of offensive lineman are particularly big. Though going huge with Dockery and Walker didn't work so well either.

madness
10-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Anyone else here what the announcers said during the pregame about how Gailey said he doesn't think the o-line is big and strong enough?

None of the current group of offensive lineman are particularly big. Though going huge with Dockery and Walker didn't work so well either.

:wave:

I think they mentioned it in the game too as our DL was submitting a restraining order against the Jets OL.

k-oneputt
10-05-2010, 10:59 AM
As long as Levitre has two arms and they are both functional, then I will take him over Green.

DraftBoy
10-05-2010, 11:06 AM
He has not played a ton (a series here and a series there). When I saw him Sunday, he did badly miss one block (think a Cornell Green like wiff) and Fitz almost got killed. He did the same thing the week before.

All in all he seems to be fine if he can engage the defender. But he has a pretty good chance of missing the defender. I think he is not quite quick enough on his feet to get a good edge rusher - i.e. Maybin or somebody with his quickness would do well against him.

But he is as good as Green right now (faint praise!) but at least he is young and might impove.

This is all based on a small number of plays at RT.

I almost wonder if putting Levitre at RT and letting Howard play guard would not be worth a shot. Levitre has the footwork - but are his arms OK at RT?

What makes you say Levitre has the footwork?

Levitre was beyond horrendous in college at LT and it wasn't just due to his arms.