• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

How do you rebuild a team?

Seems like this keeps popping up so I thought I would give my two cents as to how I think an NFL team should rebuild. Why express my opinion, because even still no one in this organization can nail it down.

Year One:

I think you start big picture you disect your franchise by position. So we have

QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, DB, ST.

You look at those 9 areas and you say ok were are we getting our ass kicked the most? And what does that area effect. So if your QB looks terrible and your backs are running spotty, you think Offensive Line. If we can make a few improvements here we might be able to ignore RB and QB for another year. As this correction will help us get a little more out of our existing players. So you look at FA's and you look at the draft, in this teams case it's got to be in the draft since no FA's will sign here. IMO you spend your top 2 picks on fixing this need.

You then consider where you feel like you're close in our case I would say DB. So you think about rounds 3-4 locking down that position. By locking it down its off the list to address next season.

So in our first 4 rounds of the draft we have now made significant improvements on our weakest area, hopefully increasing the efftectiveness of your QB and RB's which you know you'll have to address next year. You've also eliminated a position from your list.

Your late round picks should be used for depth or trade bait, we know we need two difference makers in those early rounds use a late pick to help land that second guy and jump a few spots.

Year Two:

The following season, you hope you made the right choices to fix that line. You now re-evaluate....

You're O-line should only require minor attention now. Your DB's are locked. So what position now will make the most impact... a QB sure, but is there one that fits both where we draft and quality wise? That's something that has to be considered. Is there a player in the first round who can instantly cross one of these positions off the rebuilding list? A DE, or LB? One of these guys now makes your defense 2/3 complete...

Well I am rambling on now, but these are the questions you need to ask yourself as a franchise. I dont think you can rebuild looking at a big picture you really need to chip away into little areas, until you have it all pieced together... The better you draft the better you play. And eventually you're filling holes with FA's.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: How do you rebuild a team?

2011: QB and LT, TE

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

Owner.

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

I think you rebuild a team simply by drafting better.. I shouldn't say simply because when it comes to this front office making early picks its a discgrace.

Look at this way, just in the last five years see how many 1st and 2nd rounders we took instead of players taken after them, in the same round and often the same position. Every team misses on future stars but nobody does with the regularity of the Bills.

Just this alone..
        Maybin instead of Cushing or Matthews
        Poz instead of David Harris
        James Hardy instead of DeSean Jackson

Thats only three picks.. Three guys who went in the same round AFTER we took our guys, who play the exact same position.

How much closer to being a good team we would be if we just had David Harris, Brian Cushing and DeSean Jackson on this roster?

I wont even get into things like taking Whitner instead of Ngata, or McCargo instead of Mangold, or Lynch over Revis. Again, all teams miss, but none quite like we do.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Prov401
          President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by King Bedard
          Seems like this keeps popping up so I thought I would give my two cents as to how I think an NFL team should rebuild. Why express my opinion, because even still no one in this organization can nail it down.

Year One:

I think you start big picture you disect your franchise by position. So we have

QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, DB, ST.

You look at those 9 areas and you say ok were are we getting our ass kicked the most? And what does that area effect. So if your QB looks terrible and your backs are running spotty, you think Offensive Line. If we can make a few improvements here we might be able to ignore RB and QB for another year. As this correction will help us get a little more out of our existing players. So you look at FA's and you look at the draft, in this teams case it's got to be in the draft since no FA's will sign here. IMO you spend your top 2 picks on fixing this need.

You then consider where you feel like you're close in our case I would say DB. So you think about rounds 3-4 locking down that position. By locking it down its off the list to address next season.

So in our first 4 rounds of the draft we have now made significant improvements on our weakest area, hopefully increasing the efftectiveness of your QB and RB's which you know you'll have to address next year. You've also eliminated a position from your list.

Your late round picks should be used for depth or trade bait, we know we need two difference makers in those early rounds use a late pick to help land that second guy and jump a few spots.

Year Two:

The following season, you hope you made the right choices to fix that line. You now re-evaluate....

You're O-line should only require minor attention now. Your DB's are locked. So what position now will make the most impact... a QB sure, but is there one that fits both where we draft and quality wise? That's something that has to be considered. Is there a player in the first round who can instantly cross one of these positions off the rebuilding list? A DE, or LB? One of these guys now makes your defense 2/3 complete...

Well I am rambling on now, but these are the questions you need to ask yourself as a franchise. I dont think you can rebuild looking at a big picture you really need to chip away into little areas, until you have it all pieced together... The better you draft the better you play. And eventually you're filling holes with FA's.
          Starts with getting a good coach.

As for players, you need a franchise QB, and build the trenches.

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
            • Jan 2010

1) get the qb
            2)protect the qb
            3) give the qb weapons

priorities for offense at least

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
              • Mar 2004

Start with football mined personal Not Ralph Not Modrak not Nix not Gailey start there.

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
                !?!?!?!?!?
                • Mar 2006

protect the QB before you get the QB i think...then you get your RBs (which we already have) then you get yourself QBs and WRs together so they can go through the maturation process together and build a very close relationship...that's the key to offensive success...in the meantime we should get more andra davis' (hopefully a little younger and better) as stop gaps at the LB position, but at the same time upgrades...this should all take a year or two if we do it correctly and then we are well on our way

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

Don't do what the Bills have done.

Comment

• malo
                    • Sep 2009

You don't sit on your hands during the off-season.

Buddy Nix is a buffoon.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Wish in one hand, Bills in the other...See which one fills up first.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• tampabay25690
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Historian
                        2011: QB and LT, TE
                        QB
                        OL
                        DL
                        LB
                        TE
                        This would be a good start.

I think if we can get a Franchise type QB we can start to work around him.
                        We definitely have the franchise back.
                        To be honest i really wish we drafted Clasuen, at least Carolina has there guy of the future getting reps.
                        GO Gators!!!!!!
                        GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

You immediately find help for the D Front 7, which keeps you in games while the O is built and comes together.

If you can't stop ANYONE on defense, you don't come close to winning. No O can consistently catch up from 10-14 points down early and even a wider margin early in the 2nd half.

See Buffalo.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DynaPaul
                            • Sep 2003

Year 1: LT, DT/DE
                            Year 2: C, DT/DE
                            Year 3: QB, LB
                            Year 4: RB, WR
                            Year 5: CB, TE

Comment

• X-Era
                              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                              • Feb 2005

You can address both the QB position and the RT position in this years draft. There are plenty of guys out of round 1 who could be solid prospects as RT's. Address the QB spot early in round 1, go RT, pass rushing DE or DT, and add LB help... throw in a SS and a TE and we are better.

Next year, go WR, and continue on the D.

Comment

Working...
                              X