• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ublinkwescore
    Sab and TD are insignificant
    • Sep 2002

Forget QB...

we have to solidify this line otherwise, we're gonna continue to ruin careers behind center. start by getting a franchise left T. Let's go ape$#!t for OL and see what Brohm, Fitz, or even with some polishing even Brown can do with more than .5 of a second (if that) while dropping back.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire
  • Mad Max
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
    • Mar 2003

Re: Forget QB...

Gotta disagree for many reasons.

A.) A good enough QB can carry a team, no OT can, not Jonathan Ogden,not Tony Boselli,not O. Pace, the position is not by itself a game changing position whereas QB is.

B.) Franchise QB's sell tickets Lineman don't (something Ralph is going to start worrying about really soon).

C.) It takes time to develop a QB, so the longer we wait to draft him the longer we suck.

D.) It's harder to find a stud QB than a stud Lineman. So if we see him we gotta grab him.

E.) We have young WR's, let's let them grow with our Franchise QB...how about some Aikman to Irvin type mojo for 10 years? Montana to Rice?

...the list goes on.

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

After seeing what Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford and Sam Bradford are doing/did with ****ty lines....I completely disagree. I'm more convinced than ever before that we need to find our franchise quarterback and build the team around him starting in 2011. I want Ryan Mallett, but I would be fine with Andrew Luck or even Jake Locker.

Comment

• airdog32
        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by madmaxwell

A.) A good enough QB can carry a team, no OT can, not Jonathan Ogden,not Tony Boselli,not O. Pace, the position is not by itself a game changing position whereas QB is.

B.) Franchise QB's sell tickets Lineman don't (something Ralph is going to start worrying about really soon).

C.) It takes time to develop a QB, so the longer we wait to draft him the longer we suck.

D.) It's harder to find a stud QB than a stud Lineman. So if we see him we gotta grab him.

E.) We have young WR's, let's let them grow with our Franchise QB...how about some Aikman to Irvin type mojo for 10 years? Montana to Rice?

...the list goes on.
        must agree the line is one of the better part of this team this year with a horrible year I think they can get some contanuaty and will be better for as the saying goes you have to hit rock bottom to get any better and we are at rock bottom. A franchise QB will change the direction of this organization such as it did when Buffalo drafted Jimbo 25+ years ago and like the Colts did with Manning..

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
          We play to win the game!
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Michael82
          After seeing what Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford and Sam Bradford are doing/did with ****ty lines....I completely disagree. I'm more convinced than ever before that we need to find our franchise quarterback and build the team around him starting in 2011. I want Ryan Mallett, but I would be fine with Andrew Luck or even Jake Locker.
          Stafford hasn't proved anything yet. He had 20 INTs last year and has been injured twice likely due to that OL. But I agree with rest of guys. Bradford is making it look smart

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

A great QB can overcome a multitude of sins. Look at Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. They make average WRs look like Pro Bowlers, they win with very average running games, they succeed behind quite ordinary O-lines, and they hide mediocre defenses.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
              • Jul 2005

I agree with all those that disagree.

With any luck, this will be the highest draft pick we have for a long time, in a year with some decent QB options.

It's time for Buffalo to find their first franchise QB since Kelly.
              Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                Will not tolerate vandalism.
                • Apr 2006

Would Peyton Manning be the same without Jeff Saturday? Would Jim Kelly have been the same without Kent Hull? Would Bart Starr have been the same without Jim Ringo? I don't think so. You can call them average at best, but the line is incredibly important in this league.

Comment

• TedMock
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
                  Would Peyton Manning be the same without Jeff Saturday? Would Jim Kelly have been the same without Kent Hull? Would Bart Starr have been the same without Jim Ringo? I don't think so. You can call them average at best, but the line is incredibly important in this league.
                  Well, you're right - we do need a new center. I wouldn't draft one in the 1st, but we do need one.

Seriously though, I don't actually think Bell is playing that bad. He's not a franchise LT at this point, but he's not the biggest concern on the OL. Center and RT have been downright horrendous.

Truth is you need both an OL and a QB to succeed. Chicken or the egg, I guess. IF a QB is worth taking at our 1st pick, then that's most likely where I would go right now. We are also in desperate need of LB help, so I wouldn't be completely opposed if that person is number one on the board either. Most likely though it's going to be a QB. I just hope we grab the right one. Right now I still like Luck, but there's a lot of football left and I never lock into a particular order of preference until April anyway.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
                    For the record Jeff Saturday was an undrafted FA. Kent Hull and Jim Ringo were 7th rounders. OL is very important but it's easier to find OL later in the draft than franchise QB's.

Bills fans are either off the ledge or their toes hanging off. If the Bills go 2-14 and draft OL instead of a franchise signal caller my guess is someone finally goes postal on Ralph Wilson. But I'd rate the odds of that happening at .0001%.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                      • Sep 2002

are you guys watching the same games I'm seeing - we're gonna lead the league in sacks given up - no QB can survive that kind of onslaught... and did I just hear someone call the pats and colts OL's average? you're kidding right? both of those lines have at least two probowlers on them so try again.

Comment

• topher180
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ublinkwescore
                        are you guys watching the same games I'm seeing - we're gonna lead the league in sacks given up - no QB can survive that kind of onslaught... and did I just hear someone call the pats and colts OL's average? you're kidding right? both of those lines have at least two probowlers on them so try again.
                        Dude you are missing the point, the two are somewhat interdependant. A good QB, who makes plays, pressure or no pressure, makes everyone around them look better. This includes linemen.

Many of us have been super fustrated at baseless arguments like this in the past, but I think this thread is indicative of the overall fan base now. The majority of fans recognize, after years of poor play at that position, that it's where we need to start.

Name a good team with a bad QB. Very difficult to make an argument when you view it that way.

inĀ·ept
                        Adjective: Having or showing no skill; clumsy.

:historian:

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by madmaxwell

No QB is going to carry a team if he's getting beat up all day - it's just not happening - see the Pats Giants SB - brady got sacked 5 times in that game - result - giants win. BTW, Eli Manning had superior pass protection

The bills need to stop worrying about selling tickets, and start worrying about winning first - because winning is ultimately the best way to put @$$es in seats.

We've seen even Fitz make a case for my point - when he's had time, people (not seriously I'm sure) have compared him to Joe Montana - if we fix this line, what if we've already got our franchise QB? you can't say that you know for a fact that we don't because this line is not giving anyone time behind center to show what they can do.

I'm not gonna debate this, I do agree, but if we do grab him, we need to sit him and groom him until our OL instills some confidence that he's not gonna get hit before he even hands off to a RB.

We have mostly crap gimmick type WRs and Lee Evans even appears to be underachieving this year. D. Nelson is our lone bright spot.

...the list goes on.
                          done.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Michael82
                            I watched the Jets o-line dominate Sunday in person which gives a young player like Sanchez time to build confidence. His pump fake for a TD was excellent and developed because the lin gave him the 5 seconds required to pull that play off.

It's sickening that these stupid mother ****ers have taken 5 years and still don't have a frickin o-line to show for it.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ublinkwescore
                              Is anyone arguing we don't need OL help? The draft does have more than one round. We could draft a QB in the first, which we almost certainly will, and still draft OL. By the way, how many 1st round picks do the Colts and Pats have on their OL's?

Comment

Working...
                              X