PDA

View Full Version : Gailey was a mistake!

HHURRICANE
10-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Gailey looks lost on the sidelines and on the podium.

As I said this summer my biggest fear was that Gailey was going to go with the "we will be the fittest team in the league approach". Those practice with pads really helped.

Gailey has already lost the locker room. The Bills are paying Jauron 3 million a year to sit at home and most likely they'll be paying this knuckled head 3 million to sit at home.

Would we really be 0-4 with Billick on the sideline? I doubt it.

EDS
10-05-2010, 11:41 AM
I too am worried about Gailey. The team has the same line as last season yet is not running the ball, something they did decent at last season. Against the Jets the game did not get out of hand until towards the end of the third quarter. No reason they should not have been running the ball before that.

BuffaloBlitz83
10-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Gailey is clueless. I'd guess Gailey is top 5 least paid HC in NFL. One of the reasons he was hired

Mahdi
10-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Gailey looks lost on the sidelines and on the podium.

As I said this summer my biggest fear was that Gailey was going to go with the "we will be the fittest team in the league approach". Those practice with pads really helped.

Gailey has already lost the locker room. The Bills are paying Jauron 3 million a year to sit at home and most likely they'll be paying this knuckled head 3 million to sit at home.

Would we really be 0-4 with Billick on the sideline? I doubt it.
I don't agree. Gailey looks mad to me not clueless.

I find it funny that people agree that we have the worst talent in the NFL yet you blame the coach that we're losing.

Typical.

trapezeus
10-05-2010, 11:53 AM
the fact that we have made no meaningful adjustments in the 4 games has me very worried.

i expected to be a bad team this year. i expected the coaches to get rid of the kelsays, and be more competitive in the second halfs after adjustments.

he's done neither.

but at the same time, he isn't telling everyone that they are a winner and clapping through it. if he's got a leash, he's cutting people that shouldn't be here. i give him a pass on edwards. with the 3 he was given, and no new options, starting edwards was the ebst decision in terms of upside. and he bailed pretty quick. he didn't sugar coat it.

but the fact that the offense isn't doing anything to mask it's problems is a bad sign.

i'm trying to stay on board through the season, but it's starting to get dark.

HHURRICANE
10-05-2010, 11:55 AM

I find it funny that people agree that we have the worst talent in the NFL yet you blame the coach that we're losing.

Typical.

I agree that our talent here is piss poor. But the one player that Gailey insisted we get was CJ Spiller. So he's here and he's hardly being utilized. If your job is to turn the team around than at least show me some signs that you know how to do it.

He's showed me nothing.

bigbub2352
10-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I agree . when u shop at the bargain store this is what you get..Nix signing Kelsay deflated any hope i had for change

then not dealing Lynch and keeping Edwards and signing Cornell Green man those are all bad moves

Add that they brought no depth in or anything else and then taking spiller at 9 instead of an Olineman its like satus quo is the way to go at OBD...gotta get some new blood in here from outside the organization and oh yeah a new OWNER!

DraftBoy
10-05-2010, 11:59 AM

Typical.

Wait we blamed the coach last year. So last year it was ok, but this year not?

That is also typical.

WeAreArthurMoates
10-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Id rather have Billick as well but I'm not killing Gailey yet. If anyone should be fired it should be George.

Nighthawk
10-05-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm now starting to have my doubts about Gailey's abilities. I also don't like the excuses he is starting to provide the day after games.

EDS
10-05-2010, 12:07 PM

Typical.

I think it is the fact that Dick Jauron got more out of the same group of misfits.

Now you are going to tell me Chan just needs the right players for his system. I think that is bunk. A good coach adjusts his system to fit his players.

Bill Cody
10-05-2010, 12:08 PM
from man boobs to mularkey to jauron to gailey these threads are as predictable as the sun coming up in the morning. Scheme matters some, play calling matters some, preparation matters some we can all agree on that. But an all star coach is worth maybe 3 games a year, which is very significant but we're mainly talking about a Bills roster that isn't good enough talent wise. Repeat that to yourselves as often as necessary. Bill Cowher isn't turning Fitz into Peyton or Maybin into Demarcus Ware.

Mahdi
10-05-2010, 12:13 PM
I agree that our talent here is piss poor. But the one player that Gailey insisted we get was CJ Spiller. So he's here and he's hardly being utilized. If your job is to turn the team around than at least show me some signs that you know how to do it.

He's showed me nothing.
He took CJ because he was the best player available at 9. Just because he is not producing big numbers it doesn't mean he was the wrong pick or that Gailey is at fault. Vernon Davis did zilch for 2 or 3 years and now he is considered one of the best TEs in the league.

No draft pick was going to come onto this team at 9 and do anything of note. Once the team is more settled Spiller's role will expand.

This is an over-reaction.

Beebe's Kid
10-05-2010, 12:15 PM
I agree . when u shop at the bargain store this is what you get..Nix signing Kelsay deflated any hope i had for change

then not dealing Lynch and keeping Edwards and signing Cornell Green man those are all bad moves

Add that they brought no depth in or anything else and then taking spiller at 9 instead of an Olineman its like satus quo is the way to go at OBD...gotta get some new blood in here from outside the organization and oh yeah a new OWNER!
You forgot cutting Whitner and Maybin.

As for the bold...I will bet 10 to 1 that this was not Nix's idea.

This entire ****ing post is a regurgitation of the same ****. "...oh yeah a new OWNER!" Funny thing is...you're serious. The team doesn't get a new owner, the owner sells the team. Do you understand how this works?? You're computer needs to get a new owner.

Ingtar33
10-05-2010, 12:16 PM
I think it is the fact that Dick Jauron got more out of the same group of misfits.

Now you are going to tell me Chan just needs the right players for his system. I think that is bunk. A good coach adjusts his system to fit his players.

EXACTLY

delectrolux
10-05-2010, 12:17 PM
The Bills are paying Jauron 3 million a year to sit at home and most likely they'll be paying this knuckled head 3 million to sit at home.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but since Jauron is working, the Bills aren't paying him anything.

Mahdi
10-05-2010, 12:20 PM

There is no system that was going to fit these players. Our offense can be decent once we sort out the QB position because I personally like the skill players and the OL is young and a work in progress.

The defense though is a mess and this probably had to happen for it to be fixed in the future. We simply don't have good football players on defense right now. Some are too young and inexperienced and some are just no good.

Too Young/experience lacking: Maybin, Troup, Moats, McKelvin, Byrd, Carrington.

No Good/old: Sp. Johnson, Kyle Williams, Davis, Poz, Whitner, Ellison, Kelsay.

Solid Contributors: Florence, Edwards, McGee and Stroud.

6 have started for the defense this year from the No good group. This defense would struggle no matter what.

Mahdi
10-05-2010, 12:21 PM
EXACTLY
lol. Show me what system is tailored to the group of guys we have on defense. I mean really, that's called fantasy land.

Nighthawk
10-05-2010, 12:25 PM
lol. Show me what system is tailored to the group of guys we have on defense. I mean really, that's called fantasy land.

Our DC is in way over his head and it shows. Edwards should be fired immediately. When you don't have as talented players as the other team, the last thing you do is leave them on an island and not bring some heat to help them out. Just sitting back and getting kicked in the nuts over and over and over and over again is plain stupid.

Historian
10-05-2010, 12:31 PM
With a different coach we would be:

Billick: 2-2
Schottenheimer: 4-0
Martz: 1-3
Jauron: 0-4
Cowher: 3-1
Shanahan: 3-1
Parcells: 4-0
Haslett: 2-2
Mora: 3-1
Reeves: 2-2
Levy 3-1
Carroll: 1-3

Every player in the NFL has the physical tools to play the game...that's why they're there.

It's the Coaches that prepare their teams mentally that win games.

TheBrownBear
10-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Gailey was a failure in the weakest FBS conference in the country. Not sure why anyone expected him to succeed in the meat-grinder of the NFL.

EDS
10-05-2010, 12:50 PM

The defense stunk last year, so only modest improvements need be made to show the fans this thing is heading in the right direction.

How did last years coaching staff get a pro bowl year out of Byrd and now he is a situational player?

madness
10-05-2010, 12:52 PM

He's showed me nothing.

Just because he isn't getting carries doesn't mean he isn't being utilized.

Spiller Most Frequently-Used RB (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/10/2/1726333/bills-stat-crunch-spiller-remains-big-part-of-game-plans)
One of my biggest complaints to date this season has been the lack of touches for rookie running back C.J. Spiller (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108613/c-j-spiller). I was somewhat surprised to discover that Spiller has gotten more playing time than both Marshawn Lynch (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16657/marshawn-lynch) and Fred Jackson (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1876/fred-jackson) through three games.
Spiller has been on the field for 37.8% of Buffalo's offensive plays. That's a slightly higher figure than the 36.59% of plays that Lynch has seen, and the 32.93% of plays that Jackson has gotten. (For those of you adding, keep in mind that the Bills have used more than one back on the field on a small percentage of plays.) The fact that no Bills running back is seeing a significant amount of time may bother some, but to their credit, they've gotten production out of all three guys.
Targets Per Reps
Continuing to talk about Spiller, he's by far the most frequently-targeted Bills player in the passing game when playing time is considered. Lee Evans (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1866/lee-evans) leads the team in targets, but he's on the field much more than most of Buffalo's offensive weapons. Targets-per-rep gives us an idea of players that Chan Gailey and the quarterbacks are targeting in game plans.
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg
Here's the full list of the nine Bills players that have been targeted, and how frequently they're targeted:

C.J. Spiller: targeted on 20.97% of his reps
David Nelson (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/109627/david-nelson): 16.67%
Steve Johnson (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34862/steve-johnson): 11.45%
Lee Evans: 10.43%
Roscoe Parrish (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1893/roscoe-parrish): 9.27%
Fred Jackson: 9.26%
Jonathan Stupar (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34883/jonathan-stupar): 5.88%
Marshawn Lynch: 3.33%
Corey McIntyre (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1164/corey-mcintyre): 1.79%

EDS
10-05-2010, 12:56 PM
If I were coaching this team right now I go back to a 4-3, with Stroud and Williams starting at tackle, and the ends rotating depending on down and distance, but with guys like Johnson and Carrington getting time at end on first down and other short distance situations. I might even keep them in on passing downs because no one on this team can rush the passer so it does not matter.

Byran Scott is the best linebacker on the team sadly. I move him there because he is the only one with a chance of providing any help in coverage. Whitner goes to strong safety and Byrd starts at free safety.

billz83
10-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Nix and Gailey are just a buncha clowns and yes men for senile old man wilson...Gailey has no offensive genius..hes as clueless as the rest of the bums the bills bring in...this roster is literally the worst in the league..name a team that has LESS talent then this one...u wont find it..

bigbub2352
10-05-2010, 12:59 PM
You forgot cutting Whitner and Maybin.

As for the bold...I will bet 10 to 1 that this was not Nix's idea.

This entire ****ing post is a regurgitation of the same ****. "...oh yeah a new OWNER!" Funny thing is...you're serious. The team doesn't get a new owner, the owner sells the team. Do you understand how this works?? You're computer needs to get a new owner.

WHAT?

so spinning your wheels for 10 years making decisions that no one else in the entire NFL agree's with drafting players that dont fit or were not what we needed is your answer?

RW has run this team into the ground with his decisions not our decisions..not the media's decision's..so what exactly are you talking about? you like the teams directions os far?
you like kelsay?
you like cornell green?
You think the money spent on Stroud and Kyle Williams and spencer Johnson and lee evans were good moves?
you like what we have done in the draft?
you like what we have done in free agency?
you like the personnel decisions over the last 10years? u realize modrak and jim overdorff are still employed?
good call
you serious?

If there a buying team in place...or any other option out there it has to be better than RW running the show...we got to learn our fate sooner or later ...so i say sooner and lets get an owner in here serious about building a championship team...not making his wallet bigger

cocamide
10-05-2010, 01:06 PM

Levy 3-1

Every player in the NFL has the physical tools to play the game...that's why they're there.

That's some pretty scientific research you've done there.

Ickybaluky
10-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Seems a little unfair to judge Gailey 4 games after taking over a team that hasn't been real good for a while. You have to give the guy some time.

Mahdi
10-05-2010, 01:15 PM
The defense stunk last year, so only modest improvements need be made to show the fans this thing is heading in the right direction.

How did last years coaching staff get a pro bowl year out of Byrd and now he is a situational player?
This is a new defense that is missing critical parts to function properly. You can say all you want that its the Coach's job to make the system fit the player but that is not how the NFL operates. If a Coach comes into a situation where a unit is ineffective when he inherits the team he will use the system he feels is best and either get the players to adapt to that system or replace them with players who fit the system better.

KC, Denver, Dolphins, Jets, Cards, Niners all went through that process. KC is an example very similar to ours. They sucked at 4-3 like us and they sucked in their first year at 3-4. Now they are playing decent ball and have converted some players and replaced some.

Derrick Johnson, Haggan, Ron Edwards, Hali and Glenn Dorsey were all converted to 3-4 starters. Tyson Jackson, Alex Magee, Belcher and Vrabel were brought in as players who suited 3-4.

People are just being unrealistic in expecting instant improvement.

billz83
10-05-2010, 01:44 PM
he will set this team back a few years..it doesnt matter anymore this team will not be successful as long as wilson owns the team..get used to it.

djjimkelly
10-05-2010, 01:50 PM
i think gailey has done ok on offense im very disappointed in the defense however i still think gailey will prove to be a solid hire. we truly dont have many players.

2 drafts till we are something provided we get our qb this year.

pats-were-right
10-05-2010, 02:56 PM

Levy 3-1

Lombardi himself wouldn't have done any better than 2-2 with this team. 4-0? Just because Schott runs the ball? Pass what you're smoking over to me.

Mr. Pink
10-05-2010, 03:00 PM

Typical.

People blamed Dick Jauron for not getting a playoff team out of the worst talent in the NFL.

Risin
10-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but since Jauron is working, the Bills aren't paying him anything.

They are paying him the difference, depending on what his current salary is.

ie: If he was making 3 million w/ the Bills, and his new job pays him 1 million/yr, then the Bills are paying him the other 2 million per until his contract expires with us. I'm assuming he's making less then 1 million per, in his current position, so please don't hold me to these numbers.

Typ0
10-05-2010, 05:35 PM
you can ***** about the talent but Gailey wasn't even in the NFL in years and now he's a head coach and OC. The day he said he wasn't going to hire an OC I knew this was going to be crap and nothing but a money grab by RW.

Saratoga Slim
10-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Seems a little unfair to judge Gailey 4 games after taking over a team that hasn't been real good for a while. You have to give the guy some time.

Yeah. Especially with regard to defense. Anyone who thought that the defense WOULDN'T be giving up 30 points a game this year was smoking something. We switched schemes, drafted some of the personnel that we're going to need to run the new one right, and signed a couple free agents (Edwards, Davis, Torbor, Ayodele) that should be good role players once things are going in the right direction, but that aren't enough to turn the tide now.

I'm tired of the "a good coach fits the system to his players" argument as applied to the Bills. The Bills' defense was total crap, and needed to be burned down and rebuilt. The burning down left it a little worse than it started perhaps, and it's going to take time before a) the players we currently have starting can execute the new scheme at something approaching an acceptable level, and b) the players we need to have starting either develop (Carrington, Troup) or get here (unnamed FAs and draftees). It may not ever happen under Gailey, but Week 5 is too early to know either way.

That's my thoughts as far as defense goes. As for the offense....I was and am hoping for more progress. Hopefully the lack of a starting caliber QB is the biggest factor, and that gets remedied this offseason.

SquishDaFish
10-05-2010, 06:25 PM
You are a mistake

Thief
10-05-2010, 08:54 PM

That is also typical.The difference is the last coach had more to do with this roster's lack of talent and had several years to make it his team.

Thurmal
10-05-2010, 09:17 PM
But he took the TVs out of the weight room! That's the ultimate key to success!

better days
10-05-2010, 09:24 PM

That is also typical.

The HC last year was reported to be responsible for much of the talent or lack there of that are now on the team. He also had more than 4 GAMES before people started calling for his head.

Zero
10-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Gailey was a failure in the weakest FBS conference in the country. Not sure why anyone expected him to succeed in the meat-grinder of the NFL.

Agreed!. This should surprise no one. Gailey and Nix were on nobody's radar before Ralph hired them. The writing was on the wall with this one.

Mr. Pink
10-06-2010, 06:11 AM
Why anyone wonders why we look so offensively inept, well on top of the fact we have no talent, Gailey was fired from his last offensive job. As the OC of Kansas City, at the same time we were firing Turk Schonert.

I wonder why Turk hasn't got an NFL job yet.

Oh yeah, because no other organization scrapes the bottom of the barrel for a HC.

Mahdi
10-06-2010, 07:22 AM

That is also typical.
I never blamed Jauron. I defended him to the end almost. I agreed with his firing because I thought the whole franchise needed change.

IMO Jauron was a smart football coach, he had a good defensive system in place but unfortunately he didn't have the players to make it elite. His defense though was good enough to win ball games. The problem for him was he hedged his future on Edwards and that was his downfall.

If he had a QB in Buffalo and previously in Chicago, he would have had playoff teams. Not SB teams but playoffs at least.

The years Buffalo finished 7-9 could have been 10-6 with good QB play.

Blaming Gailey right now is just ridiculous and shows a lack of understanding.

Mahdi
10-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Why anyone wonders why we look so offensively inept, well on top of the fact we have no talent, Gailey was fired from his last offensive job. As the OC of Kansas City, at the same time we were firing Turk Schonert.

I wonder why Turk hasn't got an NFL job yet.

Oh yeah, because no other organization scrapes the bottom of the barrel for a HC.
Gailey was fired because Todd Haley wanted control of the offense. Gailey did a great job the year before with average players and has always done well as an OC and even in Dallas as HC he did a good job.

Bill Cody
10-06-2010, 09:02 AM

I dunno. I think if we handed the reins to Bill Parcells he would have redone the defense into a 3-4. He waited one year to do it in Dallas but then blew it up and he did it everywhere else he's been. That's what he knows. Personally I'm ok with that decision even though we knew we'd be taking a step back first. Either way I'm not sure that argument holds any water for us since our defense was not nearly good enough talent wise regardless of scheme. Just look at our games with NE to see that. It's not like we should be saying "remember the good old days with Jauron when we blew dogs but could still win 7 games"?

Bill Cody
10-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Speaking of Parcells he's looking for something to do. No offense to Nix who might end up being ok but Parcells has proven he knows how to build a team. He gets itchy and bored after a couple years, he's ornery but if I owned the team I'd be on the phone with him right now. Tell Nix he's in charge of bringing Bill his coffee. People may forget this but Bill Parcells (along with Bob Kraft) are the biggest reasons NE even has a team right now. They were as big a laughingstock franchise as we are and the fans had basically given up on them, they were down to 25k season tickets, they won 2 games the year before Parcells got there. Parcells drafted Drew Bledsoe and made the playoffs in his second year, the Super Bowl in his 4th. Parcells knows how to build a team but perhaps more importantly he knows the difference between Drew Bledsoe and Rick Mirer, something we need next April. The coach is important but we need more groceries.

Mr. Pink
10-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Gailey was fired because Todd Haley wanted control of the offense. Gailey did a great job the year before with average players and has always done well as an OC and even in Dallas as HC he did a good job.

26th in scoring and 24th in yards is a great job?!?

That's downright laughable.