PDA

View Full Version : The Lynch Trade and the Bills Front Office

Ingtar33
10-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Grand title for what I’m going to say... but.

A professional well run front office does not go into the season with Marshawn Lynch on the roster after taking CJ Spiller in round 1.

A professional well run team does not cut it's opening day starter at QB 3 weeks into the season

A professional well run front office does not cut it's 1st backup OT option 3 games into the season (yes... Meredith sucks, he should never have made it out of training camp if we were just going to cut him)

A professional well run front office does not pick a coach who doesn't even know who's on the roster of the football team on the day he signs.

A professional well run front office does not skip choosing a QB/OT/DE/ILB/OLB high in the draft or signing some vets when we don't have anyone on the roster who could start on another team at ANY of those positions, for the flashy little back out of Clemson, when you have 2 healthy and uninjured RBs on the team already

-a 4th rounder is probably the most we could have expected... a "late round" conditional is probably a 5-7th... that said, a well run organization could have got about that before training camp started for Lynch.

malo
10-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Buddy Nix is a dumb idiot.

EDS
10-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Agreed.

OpIv37
10-05-2010, 03:14 PM
But it's a NEW front office- let's wait and see how they do! :rolleyes:

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

malo
10-05-2010, 03:21 PM
But it's a NEW front office- let's wait and see how they do! :rolleyes:

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

I absolutely cringe when I hear or read people telling others to be patient because it's all part of a plan. A plan? A PLAN? :rofl: There ain't no plan. Ing pretty much summed it all up.

Bulldog
10-05-2010, 03:23 PM
The problems start and end with one person :

RALPH

I may be done with this franchise until he's no longer a part of it.

RoscoeMagic
10-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Yep, solid points.

Won't change till Ralph goes to the big luxury box in the sky.

YardRat
10-05-2010, 03:51 PM
A professional, well run team, after a slew of OTA's, training camp, and four preseason games should know which QB on their roster gives them the best chance to succeed during the regular season.

Just ask New England.

Oh...Wait a second...

Extremebillsfan247
10-05-2010, 04:01 PM

A professional well run front office does not go into the season with Marshawn Lynch on the roster after taking CJ Spiller in round 1.

A professional well run team does not cut it's opening day starter at QB 3 weeks into the season

A professional well run front office does not cut it's 1st backup OT option 3 games into the season (yes... Meredith sucks, he should never have made it out of training camp if we were just going to cut him)

A professional well run front office does not pick a coach who doesn't even know who's on the roster of the football team on the day he signs.

A professional well run front office does not skip choosing a QB/OT/DE/ILB/OLB high in the draft or signing some vets when we don't have anyone on the roster who could start on another team at ANY of those positions, for the flashy little back out of Clemson, when you have 2 healthy and uninjured RBs on the team already

-a 4th rounder is probably the most we could have expected... a "late round" conditional is probably a 5-7th... that said, a well run organization could have got about that before training camp started for Lynch.

Lynch was kept to maximize profitable outcome in the event of a trade. This was all planned. They would've been lucky to even get a 6th for him in the offseason where the buzz of his off the field antics were still pretty loud around the league. Meredith was released because he was a nonfactor. The same goes for Mitchell. Edwards needed to be tested in a live game for Gailey to get a clear evaluation on him in a Gailey run system, not a Jauron run system. This is what you call rebuilding. Why act surprised by it?

Philagape
10-05-2010, 04:04 PM
I think it's pretty clear the FO knew Lynch would be gone eventually the minute they took Spiller. Just a matter of when, not if. I'm not going to cry over four lost games in a lost season.

Tbuffalobills
10-05-2010, 04:05 PM
I say! Trade more players- We need tons and tons of draft picks the next two years to save this team

HHURRICANE
10-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Lynch was kept to maximize profitable outcome in the event of a trade. This was all planned. They would've been lucky to even get a 6th for him in the offseason where the buzz of his off the field antics were still pretty loud around the league. Meredith was released because he was a nonfactor. The same goes for Mitchell. Edwards needed to be tested in a live game for Gailey to get a clear evaluation on him in a Gailey run system, not a Jauron run system. This is what you call rebuilding. Why act surprised by it?

Dude, you really aren't trying to sell this becuase nobody is buying.

The reality is that the team does whatever moves are necessary to field a team and net between 10-15 million a year. That's a fact.

Winning directly conflicts with this strategy. This is exactly why Peters, Dockery, and Walker were shown the door in the same year. Good teams just don't start cutting players randomly but fill and build over time.

Extremebillsfan247
10-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Dude, you really aren't trying to sell this becuase nobody is buying.

The reality is that the team does whatever moves are necessary to field a team and net between 10-15 million a year. That's a fact.

Winning directly conflicts with this strategy. This is exactly why Peters, Dockery, and Walker were shown the door in the same year. Good teams just don't start cutting players randomly but fill and build over time. I'm not selling anything. If Lynch would have stayed the entire year, every single person on this board complaining right now would be outraged that this team didn't get anything for him when they could. You can't have it both ways. JMO

Ingtar33
10-05-2010, 04:13 PM

nice touch of condescension.

Unfortunately for you I know what rebuilding looks in the NFL; having seen it first hand…

This is not rebuilding. To rebuild you need a plan. This is aimless and directionless "reaction"... there is no plan.

X-Era
10-05-2010, 04:17 PM
They get a pass on this, the real judgment comes based on what they do now.

Its not that you cut your starting QB who has proven over and over he is never going to be the guy, its what you do now to significantly upgrade the spot. You have a roster spot and playing time open, and just got back salary money. Show that you have a good football mind and make a serious upgrade.

Its not that you trade a starting caliper RB when you already have two others. Its what you do now with the new found money and draft picks. If your going to get significant better by re-investing in the team, prove it by spending that money you re-couped and more in FA in other areas of need. Dont waste those draft picks on scrubs.

Its not that you cut the only backup OT thats got experience for you. Its what you do now to upgrade your backup OT spot. I think we all see that we need a RT and that should come from fairly high in the draft unless you plan to spend real coin in FA.

I wont judge them on these moves, these are smart moves to clear personnel of your team that shouldnt be here. Its what you do now to show your serious and to make your team significantly better. It will take a while to be able to judge their savvy. If they do little or nothing, well then they were part of the problem not the solution. If they translate these moves into getting a franchise QB, a solid young RT, and adding solid young players in other areas, I will think it was a good move.

I will vent my frustration for a bit, where did this money go?:

Terrell Owens 6.5 mill for one year
Aaron Schobel 6 or so mill per
Trent Edwards 3.5-5 mill per
Marshawn Lynch 3.5-5 or so mill per

What significant re-investment have they made with all that money... and that doesnt include the 20 or so mill they already had under the cap (when they had a cap).

That's what I mean, prove you are for real and start spending.

dannyek71
10-05-2010, 04:21 PM
We have TH, we use a 1st on Willis. We trade TH for a midround pick. We trade Willis for a midround pick and draft Lynch with a 1st. We use our 1st on Spiller and trade Lynch for a midrounder.

Guess what we will be doing with Spiller in 2-3 years!

X-Era
10-05-2010, 04:21 PM
nice touch of condescension.

Unfortunately for you I know what rebuilding looks in the NFL; having seen it first hand…

This is not rebuilding. To rebuild you need a plan. This is aimless and directionless "reaction"... there is no plan.
Maybe we haven't seen it in action fully yet? Maybe there in fact is a plan that will include significant moves in this offseason. Maybe this is the evaluate and purge phase, maybe the next phase is to keep what we want and start to add.

If its just from the draft, I will consider this regime a failure. Were not going to get better fast enough that way... and were too far hurting to wait that long.

Look, I hope for the best and expect the worst. I hope we are at rock bottom and are about to land significant talent through wise, but large FA spending, and very good draft choices. But, I expect more of the same in FA and more picks that will do little for us in the first several years.

We will have to just wait and see.

Extremebillsfan247
10-05-2010, 04:24 PM
They get a pass on this, the real judgment comes based on what they do now.

Its not that you cut your starting QB who has proven over and over he is never going to be the guy, its what you do now to significantly upgrade the spot. You have a roster spot and playing time open, and just got back salary money. Show that you have a good football mind and make a serious upgrade.

Its not that you trade a starting caliper RB when you already have two others. Its what you do now with the new found money and draft picks. If your going to get significant better by re-investing in the team, prove it by spending that money you re-couped and more in FA in other areas of need. Dont waste those draft picks on scrubs.

Its not that you cut the only backup OT thats got experience for you. Its what you do now to upgrade your backup OT spot. I think we all see that we need a RT and that should come from fairly high in the draft unless you plan to spend real coin in FA.

I wont judge them on these moves, these are smart moves to clear personnel of your team that shouldnt be here. Its what you do now to show your serious and to make your team significantly better. It will take a while to be able to judge their savvy. If they do little or nothing, well then they were part of the problem not the solution. If they translate these moves into getting a franchise QB, a solid young RT, and adding solid young players in other areas, I will think it was a good move. I couldn't agree more. Great post. JMO

X-Era
10-05-2010, 04:24 PM
We have TH, we use a 1st on Willis. We trade TH for a midround pick. We trade Willis for a midround pick and draft Lynch with a 1st. We use our 1st on Spiller and trade Lynch for a midrounder.

Guess what we will be doing with Spiller in 2-3 years!Resigning the perennial pro-bowler long term, to a monster 10 year deal, after getting a franchise QB and having a real passing attack?

One can hope.

trapezeus
10-05-2010, 04:28 PM
again, what makes this so painfully frustrating is that it has been dragged over 2 full seasons. the rebuild should have been starting after the 2008 season. jauron shouldn't have been part of this team.

instead they waste last year, and add a few wins in a coaching change. now 2010 starts with a new coach who is slow on the uptake making changes that could have been done at the end of 2008. and one draft was wasted with the maybin pick.

the bills taking spiller wouldn't have been an issue if they could have shown some free agency savy and picked up missing pieces. Mcneill comes to mind as a solid move for a LT that tightens up the line immediately for a 3-4 year period.

this season feels like last where joe costanzo becomes a LB that is supposed to contribute. Even stupar was a ps pickup, and all of a sudden he's our bonafide starter. it's a joke.

it's so funny now that it doesn't even hurt like it used to.

X-Era
10-05-2010, 04:32 PM
again, what makes this so painfully frustrating is that it has been dragged over 2 full seasons. the rebuild should have been starting after the 2008 season. jauron shouldn't have been part of this team.

instead they waste last year, and add a few wins in a coaching change. now 2010 starts with a new coach who is slow on the uptake making changes that could have been done at the end of 2008. and one draft was wasted with the maybin pick.

the bills taking spiller wouldn't have been an issue if they could have shown some free agency savy and picked up missing pieces. Mcneill comes to mind as a solid move for a LT that tightens up the line immediately for a 3-4 year period.

this season feels like last where joe costanzo becomes a LB that is supposed to contribute. Even stupar was a ps pickup, and all of a sudden he's our bonafide starter. it's a joke.
It's so funny now that it doesn't even hurt like it used to.Take a look at my past thread on Polians timeline for building a SB team. It included many trades.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=196247&highlight=polian

If this team had any idea what to do, they would use a pick ro two to get a solid player before the deadline.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
10-05-2010, 05:59 PM

Powerful. Well stated. :goodpost:

Nighthawk
10-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Ralph is and always has been the #1 problem with this organization.

shelby
10-05-2010, 06:15 PM
My question is this:

How much control does Ralph have over the decisions the FO is making?
Does he really run this show?

trapezeus
10-05-2010, 06:25 PM
i suspect ralph is the worst person in that he doesn't actually have a conviction, he will listen to another idea, and then modify it to feel like he's done something.

there is a famous piece by michael silver of the bills running their 2007 draft. the "brain trust" had been doing their thing, but ralph just liked dwayne wright, another rb and asked to draft him. he had a feeling about him. and they had to waste a spot on an RB who isn't even in the league and was off the team the following year.

it'd be easier to stomach if he was forthright about what he wanted. instead he handcuff's people while they do their thing.

X-Era
10-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Lets not forget that this likely means 4 picks in the top 100. Its worth noting.

Jeff1220
10-05-2010, 06:44 PM
If Ralph were serious, he'd pay Parcells as a consultant, now that he's free, and give him the keys to the ship. The team would be contending in a year or two.

If only it wasn't just a dream.