PDA

View Full Version : New England trading Moss back to Minny??

Blame Canada
10-05-2010, 07:00 PM
from what I am hearing in league circles it looks like a deal is going to get done between NE and Minnesota sending Randy Moss back to the vikings.

Mr. Pink
10-05-2010, 07:02 PM
If this deal goes down and Favre develops chemistry with Moss, the Vikes are back to one of the top teams in the NFC.

Blame Canada
10-05-2010, 07:04 PM
deal is contingent on vikings reaching a contract extension with moss who is a free agent to be

Mad Max
10-05-2010, 07:05 PM
That would be a shocker.

I hope it doesn't happen, because they'd likely extract a 2nd rounder from Minny which they'll then trade during the draft for some hapless teams #1 in 2012 and thus the cycle will continue.

NE #1 pick 2011 - Mark Ingram
NE #1 pick 2012- Andrew Luck

New Ro's Greatest
10-05-2010, 07:06 PM
WOW! GO BILLS:sigh:

Prov401
10-05-2010, 07:09 PM
That would be a shocker.

I hope it doesn't happen, because they'd likely extract a 2nd rounder from Minny which they'll then trade during the draft for some hapless teams #1 in 2012 and thus the cycle will continue.

NE #1 pick 2011 - Mark Ingram
NE #1 pick 2012- Andrew Luck

lol, Brady just signed a huge extension and is in his early 30's. That Luck pick isn't happening.

Buddo
10-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Now that would be a surprise.
I dont suppose you've heard anything else regarding the Bills moving more players?

BILLSROCK1212
10-05-2010, 07:11 PM
WOW, GENIUS!! Both sides...this would be an awesome trade for the NFL...gives Jets opportunity to win division and Vikes an opportunity to rise up...imagine Monday Night...Favre and Moss vs. Jets...EPIC!! I'm rooting for this trade because at this point the Bills are hopeless

Buddo
10-05-2010, 07:12 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1655

Glazer apparently is reporting this also

kingJofNYC
10-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Jay Glazer confirming that a deal is in the works, contingent upon a new extension for Moss.

BILLSROCK1212
10-05-2010, 07:15 PM
i'm 90% sure Blame Canada is Schefter or Graham...thanks for the love whoever you are and recognizing that we are huge football fans!! Go Bills!!!!

Mad Max
10-05-2010, 07:15 PM
lol, Brady just signed a huge extension and is in his early 30's. That Luck pick isn't happening.

2012 draft is over a year and a half away. Quarterbacks have sat and waited behind incumbents for several years in the past, most recent example being Aaron Rodgers.

Not saying it is going to happen, but it is hardly out of the realm of possibility with a forward thinking team.

Mr. Pink
10-05-2010, 07:16 PM
2012 draft is over a year and a half away. Quarterbacks have sat and waited behind incumbents for several years in the past, most recent example being Aaron Rodgers.

Not saying it is going to happen, but it is hardly out of the realm of possibility with a forward thinking team.

If there is no salary cap, I could see this happening.

With a salary cap and the dollars you'd have tied up at one position, hard to see happening.

mikemac2001
10-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Ya blame canada is solid

once i saw the post i text my co-worker (huge vikes fan)

blame canada knows people or is the source

Mad Max
10-05-2010, 07:24 PM
If there is no salary cap, I could see this happening.

With a salary cap and the dollars you'd have tied up at one position, hard to see happening.

Rookie cap solves that problem.

Anyway, this is all left field hypothetical....just looking at a worst case scenario from the point of view of a fan of a team thats been beaten silly in every way imaginable by the Pats.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-05-2010, 07:24 PM
The Bills should offer Lee to the Vikes to drive down the price.

Mr. Pink
10-05-2010, 07:25 PM
The Bills should offer Lee to the Vikes to drive down the price.

Because Lee is anywhere near the class of Randy Moss, right?

Prov401
10-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Brandon Tate is looking like the real deal in NE. I'm guessing that's why they are considering this. If I'm correct, wouldn't this give the Pats 2 first, 2 second, and 2 third round picks next year? Ouch.

Buddo
10-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Brandon Tate is looking like the real deal in NE. I'm guessing that's why they are considering this. If I'm correct, wouldn't this give the Pats 2 first, 2 second, and 2 third round picks next year? Ouch.

That's getting downright ridiculous. They'll probably be given three compensatory picks as well (as usual).

Lexwhat
10-05-2010, 07:51 PM
If this is true, I'm surprised the Pats didnt draft Dez Bryant at the 24th overall pick this year. They instead chose to trade down with the Cowboys.

Anyways, this Moss trade is SHOCKING to me. I'm baffled.

Blame Canada
10-05-2010, 07:59 PM
don't shoot the messenger if this doesn't go through. Just know that they are talking and both sides want to get it done.

Lexwhat
10-05-2010, 08:02 PM
don't shoot the messenger if this doesn't go through. Just know that they are talking and both sides want to get it done.

I don't think anyone thinks that about you. We appreciate the info.

Prov401
10-05-2010, 08:05 PM
If this is true, I'm surprised the Pats didnt draft Dez Bryant at the 24th overall pick this year. They instead chose to trade down with the Cowboys.

Anyways, this Moss trade is SHOCKING to me. I'm baffled.

The Pats usually shy away from divas. And at the time, Bryant was presented as a selfish and questionable personality. Moss came with baggage, but the Pats gave him a shot and looked brilliant because of it in the first year. But Moss is showing his true colors this year, and the Pats want none of it.

This is shocking to me as well though. Makes me wonder if the Pats somehow pull off a trade for VJ? I' realize those odds are slim to none, but you got to think of it this way. All the success the Pats have with Welker is pretty much credited to Moss stretching the field. Then when teams clamp down on Welker and leave Moss one on one, that's when Brady takes his shots. I just don't see Brandon Tate scaring teams into double coverage.

As usual, the Pats have probably found the next Tom Brady of WR's in Tate for all we know.

Lexwhat
10-05-2010, 08:24 PM
The Pats usually shy away from divas. And at the time, Bryant was presented as a selfish and questionable personality. Moss came with baggage, but the Pats gave him a shot and looked brilliant because of it in the first year. But Moss is showing his true colors this year, and the Pats want none of it.

This is shocking to me as well though. Makes me wonder if the Pats somehow pull off a trade for VJ? I' realize those odds are slim to none, but you got to think of it this way. All the success the Pats have with Welker is pretty much credited to Moss stretching the field. Then when teams clamp down on Welker and leave Moss one on one, that's when Brady takes his shots. I just don't see Brandon Tate scaring teams into double coverage.

As usual, the Pats have probably found the next Tom Brady of WR's in Tate for all we know.

Maybe you're right about Moss showing his true colors. But Vincent Jackson? The guy is a huge diva himself, and was suspended because he violated the league's personal conduct policy. To add insult to injury, VJ wants a TON of money. He's a fool.

Anyways, Randy Moss is not replaceable, IMO. This is not the kind of move I expect from a Super Bowl contender. The current Patriots need to win by out-scoring people. Their Defense (i.e. their Secondary) is not elite.

On a side note, Logan Mankins and Vince Wilfork have made similar comments as Moss. Wilfork eventually got an extension, and Mankins? Well, we will see.

lightningbolt444
10-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Just to note the reported compensation the pats will get is ONE third rounder ..... dont know where you guys are getting two firsts from.........

better days
10-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Because Lee is anywhere near the class of Randy Moss, right?

Well, he is a LOT younger.

better days
10-05-2010, 08:49 PM
WOW, GENIUS!! Both sides...this would be an awesome trade for the NFL...gives Jets opportunity to win division and Vikes an opportunity to rise up...imagine Monday Night...Favre and Moss vs. Jets...EPIC!! I'm rooting for this trade because at this point the Bills are hopeless

The Jets will win the East this year if that trade happens or not.

Ickybaluky
10-05-2010, 09:18 PM
This would be happening because the Moss wants a new deal and forced it. He hasn't been happy because he wants a new contract, and the team is going to dump him because they are worred he would be a malcontent. I can't for the life of me figure out why Minnesota would give him an extension when they have Sidney Rice to worry about after this season, but I guess they are going for broke.

I doubt they get much more than a 3rd round pick given the circumstances, if a deal is made.

I would love them to turn around and deal for V-Jax. They reportedly have really liked him a for a long time, but I am not sure San Diego would trade him to NE. They have the ammo to make it happen as they have their own picks along with Oakland first, Carolina's second and anything they can get for Moss.

Nighthawk
10-05-2010, 09:22 PM
This would be happening because the Moss wants a new deal and forced it. He hasn't been happy because he wants a new contract, and the team is going to dump him because they are worred he would be a malcontent. I can't for the life of me figure out why Minnesota would give him an extension when they have Sidney Rice to worry about after this season, but I guess they are going for broke.

I doubt they get much more than a 3rd round pick given the circumstances, if a deal is made.

I would love them to turn around and deal for V-Jax. They reportedly have really liked him a for a long time, but I am not sure San Diego would trade him to NE. They have the ammo to make it happen as they have their own picks along with Oakland first, Carolina's second and anything they can get for Moss.

Moss has done this before in Oakland and he is doing it again in NE. He looks like garbage right now and is just going through the motions. He wants out and it is pretty clear. Knowing NE, they'll rape a team for a pick again...it's just what they do.

mrbojanglezs
10-05-2010, 09:22 PM
who would replace him on the pats

Nighthawk
10-05-2010, 09:25 PM
who would replace him on the pats

Brandon Tate...

Stewie
10-05-2010, 09:38 PM
honestly people, can we al stop pretending we have inside sources? Don't we all realize there are datestamps on the internets? So when a real actual reporter twitters it at 7:30, then at 8 o clock someone hears it in "circles", we are supposed to believe that person is an insider? Because they or their friends have a radio? Or the internet? Vtext make one an insider?

So anyway, my sources tell me that all professional football teams based in great lakes cities are going to be ****ty the rest of this season. and next year probably too, says my circles.

Ickybaluky
10-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Brandon Tate...

Tate is a different kind of player. He is a burner who can take a pass and run after the catch, not a guy who is going to go up and take a deep ball. He runs like a deer, but he isn't as big as Moss.

I think you would see the Pats return to what they were prior to 2007, which was a team that didn't have a real deep threat but had a lot of guys who could work intermediate routes. They used to have Troy Brown, Deion Branch and David Givens. Now they have Wellker, Aaron Hernandez (who is more WR than TE, but is going to be a hell of a player), Tate, Edelman, Gronkowski and the like. It would be a return of Brady spreading the ball around with precision passing (which you saw against Miami), but they would hit fewer deep plays.

psubills62
10-05-2010, 10:10 PM
A lot of people are overrating Tate. I liked the kid coming out of UNC, but he's nowhere near the receiver Moss is. He's an excellent kick returner, and has upside as a receiver, but dealing Moss would be a significant blow to New England's Super Bowl hopes this year.

If the Patriots turned around and got Vincent Jackson, especially if they did it without giving up one of the 1st round picks they have...that would certainly be frustrating.

Mr. Pink
10-05-2010, 10:11 PM
A lot of people are overrating Tate. I liked the kid coming out of UNC, but he's nowhere near the receiver Moss is. He's an excellent kick returner, and has upside as a receiver, but dealing Moss would be a significant blow to New England's Super Bowl hopes this year.

If the Patriots turned around and got Vincent Jackson, especially if they did it without giving up one of the 1st round picks they have...that would certainly be frustrating.

Look at the receivers that team had when they won their first and second titles.

Losing Moss would not be a significant blow.

Hell, he didn't even catch a pass last night.

psubills62
10-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Look at the receivers that team had when they won their first and second titles.

New England also had a really good defense when they won their first and second titles.

While Brady can still do quite well even without Moss, I still don't see them beating really good teams without him.

New Ro's Greatest
10-05-2010, 10:35 PM

They also had fantastic camera footage those years too! GO BILLS:limpclap:

Lexwhat
10-06-2010, 03:47 AM

You said it. The Vikings are in absolute panic mode and it's comical to watch. Brett Favre shouldn't have sat on his ass in Mississippi all Summer.

Childress has to have noticed how low the Arizona Cardinals have sunk (without Warner), and can't help but see his own future. Maybe he's seeing it now, watching Favre's regression.

Anyway, your characterizations of Randy Moss:
"wants a new contract"
"malcontent"
...are phrases you can just as easily use to describe V-Jax. This clown violated probation stemming from his first DUI by getting a second DUI. V-Jax is pulling these contract demand stunts after all that??

AJ Smith is playing hardball too, so I imagine the Pats will need to give up a lot to get him. Smith has already rejected trade offers from unknown teams.

If the Pats wanted a deep threat, they could've just traded for Santonio Holmes. They could have also drafted Dez Bryant.

All I'm saying is -- based on what NE has been doing, acquiring V-Jax makes very little sense to me. Besdies, if they trade for him and reward him with big money, what message does that send to Logan Mankins?

Lexwhat
10-06-2010, 04:12 AM

PSUBills already said it. This Defense is not nearly the same as those ones when they won 3 titles in 4 years. Hell, even the pathetic BILLS scored 30 points against the Patriots in Gillette Stadium.

Brady is still playing at a very high level, but that Offense will be completely different without Moss. Remember that opposing team's #1 CBs are always covering Moss.

Dr. Lecter
10-06-2010, 06:16 AM
Adam_Schefter

Filed to ESPN: When the Randy Moss-to-Minnesota trade is completed later, Patriots will receive a third-round pick in return from Vikings.

Dr. Lecter
10-06-2010, 06:17 AM
Adam Schefter Adam_Schefter

Good business: NE traded a 4th-rd pick to Oakland for Randy Moss and will get back a 3rd -- after 300+ receptions and a few dozen TDs.

Johnny Bugmenot
10-06-2010, 06:35 AM
It amazes me how much trading in the NFL defies the conventional wisdom of "a bird in the hand" (a live player) "beats two in the bush" (draft picks). We see top players traded around left and right for a single mid-round pick apiece. You oughtta bet that's a good deal for the team getting the player. They get a contributor now. What does a fourth-round pick get you? Chances are, a non-contributor.

Ickybaluky
10-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Pats now have extra picks in the 1st (Oak), 2nd (Car), 3rd (Min) and 4th (Den) rounds.

I guess they continue getting younger.

Jeff1220
10-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Pats now have extra picks in the 1st (Oak), 2nd (Car), 3rd (Min) and 4th (Den) rounds.

...and, hopefully, crappier. Not likely, but one can dream.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
10-06-2010, 07:14 AM
I LITERALLY have an inside source with the Vikes. My friend from college actually sells beer and peanuts at the Metrodome.......

He has heard nothing about this.

NorthCarBills
10-06-2010, 07:15 AM

As much as I can't stand the Pats I equally admire the way they build their team year after year. My hatred runs in parallel with my jealously.

DraftBoy
10-06-2010, 07:44 AM
They will dump some vets with something still left in the tank but they always cut bait at the right and they just draft so well.

Brady spreading the ball around should scare the ever loving **** out of the right of the AFC. That's when he's at his best, imo.

Stewie
10-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Deal is officially done. says my source.

RockStar36
10-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Where are the people who bashed the Bills trade of Lynch yesterday?

cocamide
10-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Besides Hernandez and Welker, what receivers do the Patriots have? Obviously they know more about their team than I do, but Moss leaving seems like a pretty significant blow to their offense.

Ickybaluky
10-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Besides Hernandez and Welker, what receivers do the Patriots have? Obviously they know more about their team than I do, but Moss leaving seems like a pretty significant blow to their offense.

Hernandez is listed as a TE, although he plays a more WR-like role.

At WR, Welker and Brandon Tate probably start, with Hernandez and Edelman also lining up outside a lot. They also have rookie Taylor Price, inactive every game so far, and ST-er Matthew Slater.

They line up Alge Crumpler and Rob Gronkowski as more traditional TE. With this move, they likely use the TE sets more and the multiple WR less, which they were doing anyway this year even before dealing Moss.

And, yes, Moss was pretty critical to what they did. I imagine they are going to spread the ball around more, but unless Tate proves to be the kind of deep threat teams fear they are going to be easier to defend. They probably will run it more, and have fewer big plays (and points).

Extremebillsfan247
10-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Just to note the reported compensation the pats will get is ONE third rounder ..... dont know where you guys are getting two firsts from......... You were correct. It was for a 3rd rounder. There may be a compensation late rounder with it that hasn't been disclosed yet. Everyone is still waiting on the details of the trade. He was traded because he fell out of favor with Bill Belechick. Moss tried to bite the hand that was feeding him, and the Patriots said bye bye. Now there are rumblings that they will go after Vincent Jackson. JMO

Bill Cody
10-06-2010, 10:09 AM
And, yes, Moss was pretty critical to what they did. I imagine they are going to spread the ball around more, but unless Tate proves to be the kind of deep threat teams fear they are going to be easier to defend. They probably will run it more, and have fewer big plays (and points).

The 2007 Moss was as great a player as you could ask for, almost unbelievable really. But then the Patriots choked in the SB. Moss has not been nearly the same player since. Good not great. Would he have been great if the Pats had won that game? Who knows, Moss has a good sized portion of bow wow in him to go along with his all world talent, just ask his previous employers. The fact is the Patriots still have better receivers now than they did when they won 3 titles, none with Moss btw. Offensively they should be fine. But the question remains whether the defense will improve enough to allow them to win, right now you'd have to say probably no but it's a long season. NE pretty much always gets rid of guys that whine about their contracts except maybe Wilfork. My guess is the Patriots are going to say mostly nice things about Moss but they are thrilled to be rid of him despite his talent.

Nighthawk
10-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Where are the people who bashed the Bills trade of Lynch yesterday?

Exactly! Good franchises don't trade away great players for 3rd rounders in the middle of the season, especially when they have a chance at the Super Bowl! [sarcasm]

Lexwhat
10-06-2010, 02:05 PM
The 2007 Moss was as great a player as you could ask for, almost unbelievable really. But then the Patriots choked in the SB. Moss has not been nearly the same player since. Good not great.

In 2008 (with Cassel) and 2009 (with Brady), the guy had 152 catches for 2,272 yards, and 24 TDs.

That's not great?

Obviously if you compare him to 2007, that's unfair. You can't expect him to get 20+ touchdowns every year.

I agree his production has "declined," but the guy is still a great player.