Bills failed drafts - scouting or coaching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Bills failed drafts - scouting or coaching?

With the most recent house-cleaning of crap from this team (Lynch, Edwards, Hardy, soon to be McCargo) much has been said about the scouting of this team.

But how many of these players were ruined/damaged by bad coaching? Is it all on the scouting? Or has the coaching ruined some of these players?
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • bigbub2352
    • Feb 2005

Re: Bills failed drafts - scouting or coaching?

scouting and who ever has the last say in who we take may it be DJ or RW or Brandon or levy or Modrak

someone severly sucks thou at it
    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

Lately I've been considering that it's a bigger issue.

What if just being with this franchise has a depressing effect? Constant losing, national joke reputation, small declining city, no hope on the horizon, etc.
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Philagape
        WIN NOW
        • Jul 2002

As for the question, why can't it be both?
        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

This is something I've been saying for a long, long time. Yes, the scouting is a problem.

But at some point, it becomes the coaching, the player development while he's on our roster, and the scheme. With some teams (particularly New England, Indy on offense and Baltimore, New York Jets on defense), it seems that pretty much anyone can be a star in their system. I don't think it's just scouting - it's coaches putting their players in a position to succeed.

As I've said over and over, the only players who succeeded here under Jauron seemed to do it despite Jauron, not because of him. Guys like Fred Jackson, Jabari Greer, Jairus Byrd, etc. only managed to get on the field due to injuries then did really well when they did. Why weren't these guys on the field to begin with?

I think that both scouting and coaching have played a significant role in why our draft picks simply don't pan out, year after year. People seem to forget that latter reason, though.
          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

Both.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Bill Cody
              • Sep 2004

the thing is if Ralph wanted to be cheap he could have hired me a decade ago (or someone else from this board) and I'd go the combine and then tweak an off the rack draft guide. Pay my expenses to stay in the Holiday Inn for a couple days and I'll make the picks. I can tell you right now I'd have done 1000% better than we have, pretty much anyone above a chimp IQ could. If it wasn't so GD depressing it would be comical. But it is the "scouting". It's not like guys we cut go on to play well elsewhere. I mean John McCargo didn't get coached to suck he just sucks. You could make a long list of these guys.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

Scouting.

A bum is a bum.

Example. If you want to say coaching...look at what the Bills tried to do for Losman. They brought in Sam Wyche to personally tutor him. Sam Wyche had a track record. Wyche got the most out of his players. So unless you want to make the leap that Wyche suddenly sucked when he got here, it's the scouting.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                  Give me a minute...
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DrewBlueFan
                  the thing is if Ralph wanted to be cheap he could have hired me a decade ago (or someone else from this board) and I'd go the combine and then tweak an off the rack draft guide. Pay my expenses to stay in the Holiday Inn for a couple days and I'll make the picks. I can tell you right now I'd have done 1000% better than we have, pretty much anyone above a chimp IQ could. If it wasn't so GD depressing it would be comical. But it is the "scouting". It's not like guys we cut go on to play well elsewhere. I mean John McCargo didn't get coached to suck he just sucks. You could make a long list of these guys.
                  The real key to the scouting is "fit" and "chemistry". Yes, the player has to be able to play but they also have to fit with your team. If you have a no huddle offense that throws the ball 50 times a game do you want a conservative stay at home QB? No. The guy will look like a complete baffoon. The team has had so little direction that we don't even know if they have a system.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

How much of what the pats have done with guys drafted in the 5th rd. (Brady) and 7th rd. (Cassell) can be attributed to talent ? If it's talent then why were they drafted late? If they were drafted late because they were "raw" then they were developed well.

Welker although already good prior to ending up in NE was made elite by BB. Moss was given up for a 4th by the raiders because they though he was worth a 4th and see what the Pats did with him.

Look at that kid the Pats took from the jets? They actually don't have elite rb stable but they are ranked 13 in the league. Sure they make mistakes every now and then like drafting Maroney .

Marrio Hagan who was a nobody here with no talent other than being just an ST player is now considered one of the better Lb'ers with the Broncos.

McGahee is a TD machine they way they are using him in Balt in the redzone.

Leonard is doing well in jets.

This leads me to believe that some, if not a lot of our players would've been better than they are if they ended somewhere else and guys like Ngata and other like him who we "should have taken" wouldn't have been as good as they are now if we drafted them.

IMO, we have/had some talent. We just didn't know how to develop them and didn't know how to use them wisely.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Scouting.

Unless the coaches have had final say when the picks rolled around, it isn't their fault we've been drafting (and trading back into the first to draft) guys that have no business being picked where they are and leaving better players for the teams behind us to snap up.

Look at the list...

Maybin - reach.
                      Whitner - reach.
                      McCargo - trade up for a reach.
                      Losman - trade up for a reach.

Not to mention we've whiffed on guys in the second round, that obviously dropped down for reasons everybody but us apparently saw...Hardy, the POS, Kelsay.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
                        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                        Scouting.

Unless the coaches have had final say when the picks rolled around, it isn't their fault we've been drafting (and trading back into the first to draft) guys that have no business being picked where they are and leaving better players for the teams behind us to snap up.

Look at the list...

Maybin - reach.
                        Whitner - reach.
                        McCargo - trade up for a reach.
                        Losman - trade up for a reach.

Not to mention we've whiffed on guys in the second round, that obviously dropped down for reasons everybody but us apparently saw...Hardy, the POS, Kelsay.
                        Well were just about as bad as the Pats so I'm not sure how bad we really are.

Get are real QB and things will drastically change for the better. Because decent players on decent teams look better than decent players on bad teams... thats just reality.
                        Last edited by X-Era; 10-06-2010, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by X-Era
                          Well were just about as bad as the Pats so I'm not sure how bad we really are.

Get are real QB and things will drastically change for the better. Because decent players on decent teams look better than decent players on bad teams... thats just reality.
                          That's because 'decent players' on decent teams are surrounded by actual talent that are 'better' than they are, not scrubs that are 'worse'.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
                            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                            That's because 'decent players' on decent teams are surrounded by actual talent that are 'better' than they are, not scrubs that are 'worse'.
                            Where does the worth of the draftee come into that equation? That's supposedly what we are debating right? And that's my point, put up the Pats drafts over the past 5 years and ours and argue we are so much worse.

Comment

• JD
                              Sabres Zone
                              • Sep 2003

Both.

It seems the players weren't great to begin with, but a good coach can bring out the best in it's players. With the Bills, we've been constantly rebuilding so there is just no patience for players that need to be worked with. The coach is under constant pressure to not **** up that it might hamper down to much on young players.

Since 2007, all but 2 players have been ousted from their starting positions.
                              Last edited by JD; 10-06-2010, 06:52 PM.
                              “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

Working...
                              X