PDA

View Full Version : What I think is happening with the Bills

TigerJ
10-06-2010, 09:41 PM
These are just my thoughts based on what I'm seeing, and not on any inside information whatsoever.

1. I think the Bills have reconciled themselves to the fact they aren't going to have a successful season, successful being defined as more wins than losses with a chance to make the playoffs. I don't think that's what they expected going into game one of the season, so this represents a change in thinking.

2. Given that realization, I think they have decided to make personnel moves that will position themselves that in Nix's and Gailey's opinion help position the team for a better chance at success next year, even if it means increasing the chance for more losses this season (trading Lynch).

3. I think Nix and Gailey both feel their job's are safe after the season at this point. Whether or not Wilson has told them so, I could not say, though it wouldn't surprise me to learn he did. That would mean Wilson has become convinced that the team's troubles this season are related to player personnel. Clearly, Nix and Gailey have the freedom to make dramatic player personnel moves, and that seems to indicate Wilson has expressed confidence in them.

trapezeus
10-06-2010, 10:05 PM
i'll buy what you are saying. it begs the question, do you think nix and gailey were forced into proving the team sucks to get the sway and patience for total rehaul?

we all wanted total rehaul, but i get the sense that the team didn't. now they get it.

Beebe's Kid
10-06-2010, 10:22 PM
These are just my thoughts based on what I'm seeing, and not on any inside information whatsoever.

1. I think the Bills have reconciled themselves to the fact they aren't going to have a successful season, successful being defined as more wins than losses with a chance to make the playoffs. I don't think that's what they expected going into game one of the season, so this represents a change in thinking.

2. Given that realization, I think they have decided to make personnel moves that will position themselves that in Nix's and Gailey's opinion help position the team for a better chance at success next year, even if it means increasing the chance for more losses this season (trading Lynch).

3. I think Nix and Gailey both feel their job's are safe after the season at this point. Whether or not Wilson has told them so, I could not say, though it wouldn't surprise me to learn he did. That would mean Wilson has become convinced that the team's troubles this season are related to player personnel. Clearly, Nix and Gailey have the freedom to make dramatic player personnel moves, and that seems to indicate Wilson has expressed confidence in them.

I thought that Nix, really, couldn't have been any clearer that they were not really ready to roll this year. That must just have been what I took out of the press conferences where...well...he said exactly that.

Gailey's job is to do the best he can with the team he has. Always. Whether or not he thinks it is the Super Bowl champs or not. You have to bread winning and the ability to think you are going to win in the players you have. All of our players are not going to be replaced, so you don't just tank a season and not try.

Before the season, during the season, after the season....who cares? Just make the moves. The timing is a message board debate that will never be proven or provide any difference...just leave a bunch of computer chair GM's to say how the FO screwed the pooch, again.

Truth is we're cleaning house, and the weird feeling I am left with is that in the case of some of these player moves, we'll see addition through subtraction. I never rode Lynch's nuts about not screaming and crying during a loss, but I will say that without him joking when we are losing (his fumble didn't help our cause on Sunday, in fact it was the beginning of it spiraling out of control) the team may gain some focus. Jackson always ran better when able to get the majority of the carries, and when he does get a break...it's Spiller Time.

I agree with your assessment. I just think that this season was what it is, long before it started. They are evaluating, and acting. I like action. It sure as **** is a lot better than watching **** collapse and not doing anything. This past off-season was the hardest one in recent memory, as far as FA's go. I think we handled it well. We didn't pay exorbitant amounts of money, with no clue what the cap will be next year, or maybe the year after. We did sign Cornell Green...I don't really give a ****. If he would have worked out, awesome...now you can just add him to the cleaning list.

This next off-season, is going to be ****ing brutal if there is no CBA. This is a bad time to be serious about a rebuild, but we didn't really have a choice, did we?

I have put faith in Nix the from the first presser...and really, what choice to I have? He isn't an elected official, and my team isn't changing. He seems to be a little sharper than posters would give him credit for...which is probably why he has a job in an NFL front office, and we are posting on a message board. (I bet he knew what Lynch's contract was)

I will say that I was positive that Nix had absolutely nothing to do with signing Kelsay, and he probably just put his head on his desk for 15 minutes or so...but what are you going to do? If the owner wants to keep a guy...who really is a stand up dude...you put the deal together for him. Kelsay could have been on the chopping block, and Ralph said, "No way, you give the nice Kelsay boy an extension...and a raise. He's a high motor guy, and a leader. "

Either way...I have little choice, but I am supporting this regime. I will sour on Gailey, quickly, if we don't start making some in game adjustments, and running the ball more than 9 times per game.

psubills62
10-06-2010, 10:33 PM
I agree, Tiger. However, does this mean they actually thought they had a competitive team prior to the season? Why didn't they do this fire sale before the season started?

BillsWin
10-06-2010, 10:36 PM
I agree, Tiger. However, does this mean they actually thought they had a competitive team prior to the season? Why didn't they do this fire sale before the season started?

I think Gailey believed in Trent and his own ability to fix him. He must have thought that had Edwards proved he would be a competent QB, they would win a good amount of football games.

Sadly, the only thing Trent proved is that he blows. So delayed or not, the fire sale is on.

HAMMER
10-07-2010, 01:33 AM
I think I can't read the overly verbose posts above.

Johnny Bugmenot
10-07-2010, 06:43 AM
I think I can't read the overly verbose posts above. I think you need a longer attention span, then.

ddaryl
10-07-2010, 07:26 AM
II will say that I was positive that Nix had absolutely nothing to do with signing Kelsay, and he probably just put his head on his desk for 15 minutes or so...but what are you going to do? If the owner wants to keep a guy...who really is a stand up dude...you put the deal together for him. Kelsay could have been on the chopping block, and Ralph said, "No way, you give the nice Kelsay boy an extension...and a raise. He's a high motor guy, and a leader. "

I really do not beleive Ralph had nothing to do with Kelsay extension. Nix and Gailey were very involved, and they obvioulsy like something about him.

Ralph is not that involved in personel decisions these days.. That's what people want to believe so they can have a place to vent their frustration and hate for the guy.

TigerJ
10-07-2010, 08:15 AM
I thought that Nix, really, couldn't have been any clearer that they were not really ready to roll this year. That must just have been what I took out of the press conferences where...well...he said exactly that.

Gailey's job is to do the best he can with the team he has. Always. Whether or not he thinks it is the Super Bowl champs or not. You have to bread winning and the ability to think you are going to win in the players you have. All of our players are not going to be replaced, so you don't just tank a season and not try.

Before the season, during the season, after the season....who cares? Just make the moves. The timing is a message board debate that will never be proven or provide any difference...just leave a bunch of computer chair GM's to say how the FO screwed the pooch, again.

Truth is we're cleaning house, and the weird feeling I am left with is that in the case of some of these player moves, we'll see addition through subtraction. I never rode Lynch's nuts about not screaming and crying during a loss, but I will say that without him joking when we are losing (his fumble didn't help our cause on Sunday, in fact it was the beginning of it spiraling out of control) the team may gain some focus. Jackson always ran better when able to get the majority of the carries, and when he does get a break...it's Spiller Time.

I agree with your assessment. I just think that this season was what it is, long before it started. They are evaluating, and acting. I like action. It sure as **** is a lot better than watching **** collapse and not doing anything. This past off-season was the hardest one in recent memory, as far as FA's go. I think we handled it well. We didn't pay exorbitant amounts of money, with no clue what the cap will be next year, or maybe the year after. We did sign Cornell Green...I don't really give a ****. If he would have worked out, awesome...now you can just add him to the cleaning list.

This next off-season, is going to be ****ing brutal if there is no CBA. This is a bad time to be serious about a rebuild, but we didn't really have a choice, did we?

I have put faith in Nix the from the first presser...and really, what choice to I have? He isn't an elected official, and my team isn't changing. He seems to be a little sharper than posters would give him credit for...which is probably why he has a job in an NFL front office, and we are posting on a message board. (I bet he knew what Lynch's contract was)

I will say that I was positive that Nix had absolutely nothing to do with signing Kelsay, and he probably just put his head on his desk for 15 minutes or so...but what are you going to do? If the owner wants to keep a guy...who really is a stand up dude...you put the deal together for him. Kelsay could have been on the chopping block, and Ralph said, "No way, you give the nice Kelsay boy an extension...and a raise. He's a high motor guy, and a leader. "

Either way...I have little choice, but I am supporting this regime. I will sour on Gailey, quickly, if we don't start making some in game adjustments, and running the ball more than 9 times per game.

Granted, Nix knew there was more work to do on this team than could be done in one offseason, but I still think they believed they were further ahead than they are in the process. As far as Kalsay is concerned, I really don't have any thoughts beyond a little incredulity at signing him. I agree with everything else, including the part about Gailey's job responsibility to do the best he can with what he's got. I think he is doing that. The only thing that has changed is that they are now making personnel decisions based on what is good for the team next year and beyond rather than this year. Trading Lynch now for draft choices cannot help the team this year

TigerJ
10-07-2010, 08:17 AM
I think I can't read the overly verbose posts above.

I can't hold a candle to Wys.