PDA

View Full Version : According to Chris Steuber (NFLDraftScout)

DraftBoy
10-07-2010, 07:49 AM
via his twitter account;

The Bills are interested in Andrew Luck and Christian Ponder as QB's, and Greg Jones as a LB.

He was asked directly if he knew what QB's the Bills liked and if there were any LB's they'd been eyeing and that was his response. If Luck doesn't come out, there are going to be a lot of pissed off Bills fans if we dont go QB in Round 1 or 2.

Obviously its still very early, but it tells you something, especially given the trend of the games their scouts have been attending that Ive been posting weekly.

Dr. Lecter
10-07-2010, 07:56 AM
If the Bills draft Ponder I will be fine with that. I like the kid, although I am a tad bit biased.

k-oneputt
10-07-2010, 07:57 AM
And that is the problem in a nutshell, the "trend" of our scouts.

I have no confidence that these so called "scouts" actually would know a player if the kid tripped over them.

streetkings01
10-07-2010, 08:06 AM
If the Bills draft Ponder I will be fine with that. I like the kid, although I am a tad bit biased.Being a Noles fan I'm a bit biased myself. Ponder just seems like a QB that'll be a better pro than he is college QB.

Dr. Lecter
10-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Being a Noles fan I'm a bit biased myself. Ponder just seems like a QB that'll be a better pro than he is college QB.
Ha!!

That is the line I have used a bunch of times.

psubills62
10-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Fine by me. Jones is a beast, Luck is really good and Ponder...I'm a little unsure about him, but I'd be willing to give him a chance.

Bills Juggernaut
10-07-2010, 08:17 AM
They are talking Ponder as a 2nd rounder right?

WeAreArthurMoates
10-07-2010, 08:56 AM
I have no problem with Ponder, the kid is a gamer. I personally think Richard Quinn in the first seems like a strong possibility.

tampabay25690
10-07-2010, 08:57 AM
If the Bills draft Ponder I will be fine with that. I like the kid, although I am a tad bit biased.

It would be so hard to ROOT for a Seminole as the Bills QB....

dannyek71
10-07-2010, 09:00 AM
I've heard that we are high on Mark Ingram and are targeting him with our #1.

ZAZusmc03
10-07-2010, 09:10 AM
I wouldn't mind Ponder, even though it will be hard to root for a nole, I still think it would be nice to take an OT or pass rusher with our first and snag him with a 2nd or 3rd

DraftBoy
10-07-2010, 09:11 AM
They are talking Ponder as a 2nd rounder right?
I'm not sure I would say that. His stock has been up and down this season, and right now Id say more of a 3rd round pick than a 2nd.

TacklingDummy
10-07-2010, 09:13 AM
It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that the Bills QB position has sucked the past 10 + years and that they probably are scouting many QB's.

dannyek71
10-07-2010, 09:23 AM
It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that the Bills QB position has sucked the past 10 + years and that they probably are scouting many QB's.

This is the Bills we are talking about.

mrbojanglezs
10-07-2010, 09:29 AM
I hope that luck declares:pray:, you think he will draftboy?

WeAreArthurMoates
10-07-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm not sure I would say that. His stock has been up and down this season, and right now Id say more of a 3rd round pick than a 2nd.

Unfortunatly if were are that enamoured with him we will reach a little earlier than we should and snag him in the 2nd like Troup. I do think once the workouts are done, he will be a 2nd rounder. Also DB, whats your thoughts on him?

Michael82
10-07-2010, 09:41 AM
I hope they are scouting Ryan Mallett too....

k-oneputt
10-07-2010, 10:05 AM
They're probably scouting the Sunbelt Conf. qb's.

X-Era
10-07-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure I would say that. His stock has been up and down this season, and right now Id say more of a 3rd round pick than a 2nd.Agree

DraftBoy
10-07-2010, 11:02 AM

Yes but the lack of the names Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett should be eye opening to more than a few people.

DraftBoy
10-07-2010, 11:05 AM
I hope that luck declares:pray:, you think he will draftboy?

Honestly I have no earthly idea, what I do know is this;
-He and Harbaugh are very close
-He will get his degree before he finishes school
-He is not afraid to take on a challenge at QB (ie playing for a bad team)

In the end I think he will defer to what Harbaugh thinks because I believe (with aboslutely no evidence) that he is on track to graduate early.

DraftBoy
10-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Unfortunatly if were are that enamoured with him we will reach a little earlier than we should and snag him in the 2nd like Troup. I do think once the workouts are done, he will be a 2nd rounder. Also DB, whats your thoughts on him?

Its going to be close, this weekends game will tell us a lot.

I like Ponder, he makes good decisions, has underrated athleticism, and is a leader on the field.

I question his arm strength not because he cant make all the throws (because he can) but because in Buffalo the winds swirl and it makes everything harder.

Overall I think Ponder has a lot of ability and will to win and he's definitely a gamer which is more than I can say for our previous QB's. I think Ponder is a very good choice in Round 3, and an iffy one in Round 2, but not bad.

DraftBoy
10-07-2010, 11:07 AM
I hope they are scouting Ryan Mallett too....

Really dont know what you see in him.

DraftBoy
10-07-2010, 11:08 AM
They're probably scouting the Sunbelt Conf. qb's.

Dwight Dasher could be a solid WR in the NFL Randle-El style and Jeff Van Camp at FAU is a big guy with a big arm. I hope they are looking at QB's in every conference and at every subdivision.

TacklingDummy
10-07-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't want a QB outside of round 1. I want round 1 talented QB's. You know the round #1 QB's that have started in over half the Super Bowls. Not take a 3rd round chance on a QB that we hope will be good, example Trent Edwards.

WeAreArthurMoates
10-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Its going to be close, this weekends game will tell us a lot.

I like Ponder, he makes good decisions, has underrated athleticism, and is a leader on the field.

I question his arm strength not because he cant make all the throws (because he can) but because in Buffalo the winds swirl and it makes everything harder.

Overall I think Ponder has a lot of ability and will to win and he's definitely a gamer which is more than I can say for our previous QB's. I think Ponder is a very good choice in Round 3, and an iffy one in Round 2, but not bad.

Awesome, thanks for your input, ya his arm is def strong enough in a dome or SD, don't know about Buffalo. Though it can't be weaker than Fitz. What about Devlin?

Buffalo Thriller
10-07-2010, 11:56 AM
I've heard that we are high on Mark Ingram and are targeting him with our #1.
Why the hell would we draft another RB?

justasportsfan
10-07-2010, 11:56 AM
In the end I think he will defer to what Harbaugh thinks .

does this mean Mallet will pull an Elway/Eli Manning if drafted by buffalo?

Buffalo Thriller
10-07-2010, 11:58 AM
It would be so hard to ROOT for a Seminole as the Bills QB....

Once he goes NFL you can cut all of the "GATOR HATE". The Seminoles are no threat to you anyways.

DraftBoy
10-07-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't want a QB outside of round 1. I want round 1 talented QB's. You know the round #1 QB's that have started in over half the Super Bowls. Not take a 3rd round chance on a QB that we hope will be good, example Trent Edwards.
True and I understand that point of view, I just dont agree with it.

THATHURMANATOR
10-07-2010, 12:02 PM
You don't like Mallet?

DraftBoy
10-07-2010, 12:03 PM
You don't like Mallet?

No...

BidsJr
10-07-2010, 12:11 PM
You don't like Mallet?

I think Mallett is a poor mans Drew Bledsoe.

So no I don't want him either.

Prov401
10-07-2010, 12:13 PM
I've been more impressed with Mallett than Luck this season.

And there is absolutely no reason at all that Jake Locker should not be in discussion. The guy just beat USC, and without a doubt has the lesser talented players around him between him, Mallett, and Luck.

Prov401
10-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I think Mallett is a poor mans Drew Bledsoe.

So no I don't want him either.

Yea, I hear ya. 55,000 yards passing isn't quite a career.

BTW, the dude is quick with his decisions, unlike Bledsoe.

Prov401
10-07-2010, 12:16 PM
does this mean Mallet will pull an Elway/Eli Manning if drafted by buffalo?

In this rediculous top QB 50 million dollar rookie contract era, I'd highly doubt anybody would hold out.

Prov401
10-07-2010, 12:19 PM
No...

The only QB who has ever got it done up here in the 'swirling winds' of Buffalo was big, strong, tough, smart, and had swagger. Mallett gets a check mark next to all of that. He has improved this season, and nobody can deny that. I've been impressed by this guy more than I've been impressed by Luck.

WeAreArthurMoates
10-07-2010, 12:25 PM
True and I understand that point of view, I just dont agree with it.

I'm with you, you don't take a qb just for the sake of taking one. Even as badly as we need one. If they dont feel Mallett or Locker is the guy dont take him. I have no problem if they take a guy like Richard Quinn as long as if we get a Devlin, Ponder or Ricky Stanzi in the 2nd or 3rd to groom.

billz83
10-07-2010, 12:45 PM
i dunno i have zero confidence in these scouts so i would say who ever they are thinking about draft the OTHER GUY..they were thinkin maybin they shoulda got orakpo and so on..usually the guy they like ends up being GARBAGE for the team..and SERIOUSLY they need to stop drafting DEVELOPMENTAL players in the 1st round!!! that is KEY!

Michael82
10-07-2010, 01:01 PM
I like his size, arm strength, accuracy, and ability to throw the intermediate passes (something the Bills have lacked for a while) plus footwork and just think he would be a good fit for this kind of weather and team. Although we would need to build a really good line around him. I still like him a lot and loved what I saw from his against Alabama a couple weeks ago, until the 4th quarter. I want to see more of him against good teams before I am 100% sold on him though. But he's one of my top choices, just from watching him.

What don't you like about him?

k-oneputt
10-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Dwight Dasher could be a solid WR in the NFL Randle-El style and Jeff Van Camp at FAU is a big guy with a big arm. I hope they are looking at QB's in every conference and at every subdivision.

Yes, they are nice SBC players not Nfl players.
I'm still waiting for our newest Sunbelt guys to show anything.
Who uses half of their draft on the Sunbelt Conf. ???????

dannyek71
10-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Why the hell would we draft another RB?

Why not. Think about the unstoppable running attack we would have.

Eventually
10-07-2010, 03:22 PM
There's actually a ton of QB talent this year. Luck, Locker, Mallet, Ponder, Devlin, Foles, Stanzi, Pryor(yeah I know a lot of you hate him but he'll be fine just as long as it's not in 1 or 2) and Robinson(not sure of his eligibility though)

Anyhow I'll be personally disappointed if they are sitting there with the first pick and don't get the franchise QB right then and there, but if they don't there will be very good options still available in round 2 while picking up a stud player at another position with their first.

I do like Christian Ponder but it just would be sooo typical Bills to miss out on having LUCK on our side left only to PONDER the future

jpdex12
10-07-2010, 03:41 PM

you don't look at historical stats and trends that show improvement year to year? How many 300 yard games he's had compared to otehrs... his TD to Int ratio compared to others, yardage, arm strength...etc..etc...

I'd consider him high on any list!

Ingtar33
10-07-2010, 03:52 PM

Mallet's hard to eval... he's got me all over the map at the moment where i think he should be. i am thinking late 1st rounder, with a no.1 overall arm (something luck doesn't have).

If you asked me last year i would have said Mallet is basically a 3rd rounder... but he's improved dramatically this year.

That makes me excited... and really... the Alabama game didn't sour me on him. I liked what i saw... how he pushed the ball down field relentlessly, in the face of pressure; how he had an almost insane faith in his arm to hit some really small windows... and how he did for the most part.

what bothered me was how many of his passes were to guys facing him and stopped. comebacks and sit-downs are fine... but i would have liked to see him hit more guys moving in space through the zone that 'bama was playing.

color me cautiously positive on him... i'd like to see how the rest of the year plays out though.

Mr. Pink
10-07-2010, 03:57 PM
You mean we're not scouting Mark Ingram?!?

RoscoeMagic
10-07-2010, 04:09 PM
There's actually a ton of QB talent this year. Luck, Locker, Mallet, Ponder, Devlin, Foles, Stanzi, Pryor(yeah I know a lot of you hate him but he'll be fine just as long as it's not in 1 or 2) and Robinson(not sure of his eligibility though)

Anyhow I'll be personally disappointed if they are sitting there with the first pick and don't get the franchise QB right then and there, but if they don't there will be very good options still available in round 2 while picking up a stud player at another position with their first.

I do like Christian Ponder but it just would be sooo typical Bills to miss out on having LUCK on our side left only to PONDER the future

You guys all need a reality check. Not just you...all the fans who proclaim themselves "draft experts" who are "evaluating" QB prospects right now...

Jevan Snead and Tony Pike were thought to be 1st round picks last September/October. Snead was in competition for the #1 overall pick. Pike went in round 7, Snead went undrafted.

Get a life people...and this is coming from someone who has no life. Prospect rankings fluctuate all the time up until draft day. I'm not wasting my time now and neither should any of you. Whatever you say now, will not be true in January. Whatever you say then, won't be true in March. Whatever you say then won't be true on draft day. And whatever you say then, won't be true when these kids step on the NFL field.

/rant off.

Ed
10-07-2010, 05:32 PM
You guys all need a reality check. Not just you...all the fans who proclaim themselves "draft experts" who are "evaluating" QB prospects right now...

Jevan Snead and Tony Pike were thought to be 1st round picks last September/October. Snead was in competition for the #1 overall pick. Pike went in round 7, Snead went undrafted.

Get a life people...and this is coming from someone who has no life. Prospect rankings fluctuate all the time up until draft day. I'm not wasting my time now and neither should any of you. Whatever you say now, will not be true in January. Whatever you say then, won't be true in March. Whatever you say then won't be true on draft day. And whatever you say then, won't be true when these kids step on the NFL field.

/rant off.
I agree that opinions and grades and what not will fluctuate greatly from now until April. However, our team blows right now, so discussing future prospects is a lot more exciting than talking about the Bills.

Nighthawk
10-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Why not. Think about the unstoppable running attack we would have.

It's not funny anymore...it was the first 50 times you posted it, but it's long since lost it's humor.

X-Era
10-07-2010, 05:36 PM

/rant off.I'm actually agreeing with both of you. Arguing over where someone falls plus or minus one round is inane at this point, much less in a round.

You get a feel for a guy and a general range which becomes more honed until the draft, and then some team will blow your notion right out of the water.

But, I also agree its interesting to discuss.

clumping platelets
10-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa :nod:

The rebuilding started in 1985 with this guy named Bruce Smith

BidsJr
10-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Mallet's hard to eval... he's got me all over the map at the moment where i think he should be. i am thinking late 1st rounder, with a no.1 overall arm (something luck doesn't have).

If you asked me last year i would have said Mallet is basically a 3rd rounder... but he's improved dramatically this year.

That makes me excited... and really... the Alabama game didn't sour me on him. I liked what i saw... how he pushed the ball down field relentlessly, in the face of pressure; how he had an almost insane faith in his arm to hit some really small windows... and how he did for the most part.

what bothered me was how many of his passes were to guys facing him and stopped. comebacks and sit-downs are fine... but i would have liked to see him hit more guys moving in space through the zone that 'bama was playing.

color me cautiously positive on him... i'd like to see how the rest of the year plays out though.

Huh sounds like a poor mans Drew Bledsoe.....

RoscoeMagic
10-07-2010, 09:51 PM
I agree that opinions and grades and what not will fluctuate greatly from now until April. However, our team blows right now, so discussing future prospects is a lot more exciting than talking about the Bills.

I disagree. Essentially what you will be doing is discussing players who will play for another team around the league. Unless you can successfully predict who we will draft, it's pointless.