PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hubbard

DesertFox24
10-07-2010, 09:41 AM
I did some research on this guy and he was a track start at Wisc, ran under a 4.4 is 6'3 225 pounds.

I did not see anything from the preseason and was wondering if anyone here knew anything about him or if he could develop and maybe make the roster next year.

OpIv37
10-07-2010, 09:43 AM
I wouldn't hold my breath- track stars tend to be epic failures in the NFL.

Oaf
10-07-2010, 09:45 AM
We definitely added him late in the game. Don't know much about him from the other teams he's been on, except he must not have stood out. This probably means he's got a decent shot to start next year for us.

Beebe's Kid
10-07-2010, 09:51 AM

Thanks, bro...I read DF's post and immediately held my breath...

He has to be able to be serviceable in some way...****, Gump ran back kicks.

I thought this was interesting:

From NFL.com Combine Profiles

In Our View: Blessed with tremendous size, athletic ability and natural gifts, Hubbard has work to do in order to shed the "track guy playing football" label. His injury-laden senior season didn't help, and Hubbard didn't stand out at the East-West Shrine practices. He does have upside and, in the right offense, would benefit from being broken in slowly.

A slow break in...we should be able to accommodate that. Take your time, bro...we're currently in the middle of the eternal rebuild. You've got 3 years.

On second thought... many fans are pretty sure the rebuild is an epic failure after 4 weeks, so we are going to need 10 catches out of you this weekend, or you get the **** out.

Yasgur's Farm
10-07-2010, 10:01 AM
NFLDraftScout.com had him projected round 4 in '08
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=12649&draftyear=2008&genpos=WR

Draft Scout Snapshot: DS Rating on 08/12/07: #8 WR, #46/750 Overall, Projected: Rnd 2 rising
2007: Despite missing five games after suffering a right knee medial collateral ligament sprain vs. Nevada-Las Vegas, Hubbard was named All-Big Ten Conference honorable mention by the league's coaches…Started eight games at split end, ranking sixth on the team with fourteen receptions for 305 yards, but had no touchdowns…His 21.8-yard average marked the third time in school history that a starting receiever averaged more than 20 yards per catch in a season. 13 GP; 13 GS; Rec: 38-627-16.5-5 in '06. 5 GP; 0 GS; Rec: 1-4-4-0 in '04. Saw action in nine games as backup receiver and on special teams in '04. Redshirted in '03 after joining football team as a walk-on. Participated with Badger track team, 2003 Big Ten indoor and outdoor champion in the long jump, placed fourth in the triple jump at the 2003 conference indoor meet and sixth at the outdoor meet.

Mindbender
10-07-2010, 10:04 AM

Ummm, wasn't Spiller a track star?

Yasgur's Farm
10-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Yup... And OJ Simpson was a complete bust... IN CANTON!!

justasportsfan
10-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Lee Evans

DraftBoy
10-07-2010, 11:02 AM
I want to say I liked this kid coming out and he was drafted by the Browns and basically either got injured or flamed out. FTY may know more.

Mr. Pink
10-07-2010, 03:50 PM
I want to say I liked this kid coming out and he was drafted by the Browns and basically either got injured or flamed out. FTY may know more.

You don't want to hear what I got to say about him.

3 teams now with weak receiving corps, Cleveland, Oakland and now here and this guy hasn't gotten a sniff of real action.

In Cleveland he got beat out by Syndric Steptoe for a roster spot.

Do I need to go any further?

Buddo
10-07-2010, 04:18 PM
I recall seeing somewhere, that while he has tremendous athletic ability, both his route running, and hands, leave a lot to be desired.
Will make a terrific catch one moment, then drop two regulation ones, that sort of thing.
If he improves his catching, he might be somewhat better off having landed with us, as from the sounds of it, Gailey is very hot on having his receivers run precise routes.
I just hope they don't waste too much time on him, although with the athletic ability he has, he could end up being something of a 'sleeper'.

stuckincincy
10-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Ummm, wasn't Spiller a track star?

He's not *quite* an impact player yet...

http://www.nfl.com/players/c.j.spiller/profile?id=SPI347627

Crisis
10-07-2010, 05:40 PM
brian moorman was a track star!

bflojohn
10-07-2010, 06:04 PM
A good example of waiting on a WR is Danny Amendola in St. Louis! I remember him being on Hard Knocks when the Cowboys were featured, and he bounced around too! He incidently had a hightlight moment last week on a catch he made off of a throw from super rookie Sam Bradford. Just saying.....

TigerJ
10-07-2010, 06:04 PM
A project player. You stash a guy like that on your PS because he's got great measurables, and you hope you can turn him into a football player. The odds are against it just because most guys like that never do cut it, but there is always a chance.