• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Nix comments on Kelsay extension

Here comes the 5 pages of whines

Bills GM Buddy Nix addressed the media on several topics concerning the Bills recent roster moves. One in particular was the extension that was given to veteran OLB Chris Kelsay. Here was Nix’s take as to why they wanted Kelsay as a part of the team’s future going forward.

“The thing you don’t want to do is take your core guys and your leaders out of your system,” said Nix. ”We decided obviously that we’ve got four, five or six guys like that, they maybe are not great players, but good players that set the tone for what you want everybody else to be. Chris Kelsay is a good player. He’s exemplifies what we want players to do and how we want them to be. So that’s the reason he’s here.”

A forgotten part of what it’s going to take to turn around the Bills franchise is eliminating the culture of losing that exists in the locker room. In no way does any player in Buffalo’s locker room want to lose, but when a team loses games as much as Buffalo has it can become a self-fulfilling type thing. Even Nix said though players may not realize it, it can become an accepted thing.
    “I don’t care whether you want to admit it or not, but losing gets to be a habit and it gets to be something you accept and we’re not going to do that,” Nix said. ”We’re going to demand that we get the proper attention to (changing that culture). To be honest with you it’s the hardest thing you have to do.”

basically he admits he is not a great player, but his locker room prescence and his willingness to be a team player is what they are rewarding him for...

Obvioulsy, and IMO, they do not have enough players on the roster that don't subscribe to the loser metality and Kelsay although average at best at least doesn't appear to radiate that mentality to others in the locker room.

I'm not enamored with Kelsay, but it's not like we have any chance in becoming a winning franchise for a few more years. By the time we bring in enough new players to circumvent the present loser mentality, Kelsay will be heading out the door anyways.

now lets begin the 5 pages of discontent

• The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Nix comments on Kelsay extension

I agree 100% with the part about losing becoming habit.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

It was still a horrendous extension, I dont care how he spins it.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
        • Feb 2005

I'm OK with the Kelsay extension... I've seen him put some licks on ball carriers this season. I understand they were a bit downfield... But none the less he punishes.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Trent was a team player which is why they voeted him Capt. He kept taking one of the team ....sacks I mean.
          Last edited by justasportsfan; 10-07-2010, 12:11 PM.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

So, how the hell are we supposed to change the losing culture by re-signing guys like Kelsay who are PART OF IT?
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RockStar36
              Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
              • Sep 2004

I hate the extension, but I can at least buy that reasoning. At least Nix didn't come out and try to sell us on Kelsay actually being good.

D & S Sports

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

i just don't get how signing an average player who likes winning to an overextension changes the losing attitude.

cutting average players for better players changes the attitudes.

either way, it's so hard to ***** about what's going on. we've gone from bad to a different kind of bad. it doesn't matter.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

they maybe are not great players, but good players that set the tone for what you want everybody else to be.
                  so you want everyone else to be overpaid mediocre players?
                  sacrifice1

Comment

• madness
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                    Trent was a team player which is why they voeted him Capt. He kept taking one of the team ....sacks I mean.
                    Best updated nicknames I've seen on the internet describing Trent and Marshawn's exit ---> Capt. Check-out and Trade Mode

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

let me pose my original thought this way. if we were all in a company that i ran, and i said to one coworker, "you are subpar, but i like that you walk in that door every day and try to sell our product. you royally suck at it, and the product is truly awful. I want to offer you a bigger salary."

Does that make you want to work harder or just show up and pretend that you are trying? And if you agree that it just makes you show up but make no difference to bottom line, did i change the culture?

I'd rather have the guys who are decent sellers who can say, "dude, Trap, the product blows. I can sell all day at meetings and seminars, but it sucks. we need new R&D, we need better marketing." I think that makes hte company better faster.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

". . .you don't want to. . . take your core guys and your leaders out of your system."

Yet it looks like we're about to trade Lee Evans to the Pats.

Go figure.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                          • Nov 2009

I, with my homer colored glasses, read that he is saying Kelsay isn't a good player, so I'm trying to tell you this wasn't my choice, but I am giving you the reason Ralph said we should keep "that Kelsay boy."

When a team is cleaning house/rebuilding/building, whatever...NOBODY gets an extension. NO job is safe... especially players that really aren't that good.

I maintain that it isn't the end of the world. The only problem is that it would have been the optimal situation if Nix would have said, "With all respect Mr. Wilson, you hired me to build you a winning football team. That's what I am trying to do here, and I don't think giving that Kelsay boy a raise is what we need to do at this time."
                          ...then hope he isn't fired.

Maybe Ralph told him..."Look, I'm the owner...I've been involved, I have royally **** the bed a few times with extensions, free agents...well, all of my player decisions. I hired you because you are a football guy, and I respect that. I am asking that you let me pull rank for one of the nice guys, then I go back to counting my money, and leave you alone. Take care of the Kelsay boy for me, would you, Buddy?"

Or else is was part of the diabolical plan, deigned to alienate the fan base to move the team.

I guess we'll never know...until the book comes out, of course.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                            Yet it looks like we're about to trade Lee Evans to the Pats.
                            Who cares if Lee is traded as long as we keep Whitner
                            sacrifice1

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              So, how the hell are we supposed to change the losing culture by re-signing guys like Kelsay who are PART OF IT?
                              What's he supposed to say, Op? "The old man likes this kid, I think he sucks, but he's here...deal with it." That's kind of what I took out of his comments.

Comment

Working...
                              X