PDA

View Full Version : Nix Article

Beebe's Kid
10-07-2010, 12:57 PM
from article
Bills GM Buddy Nix knew full well that the task of turning the fortunes around of a franchise that was not a postseason participant in 10 years was going to take time. Though an 0-4 start might have been something even he did not anticipate, Buffalo's personnel boss knew that the climb to respectability and eventually playoff contender was going to be a methodical one.
“Obviously I’m frustrated just like the fans and everybody else,” said Nix. “We didn’t expect to be here, but we are where we are and we’ve got to deal with it. We’ve got to dig our way out and that’s what we try to do every day.”
Nix and head coach Chan Gailey, who meet with one another three to four times a day, have a defined plan as to how to make the Bills into a winning franchise again. That plan however, contains no quick fixes.
“We didn’t get in this situation overnight and we’re not going to get out overnight,” said Nix. “We knew it wouldn’t be easy. If there were not the problems that we’ve got, I wouldn’t be here, Chan wouldn’t be here.”

Full Article (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Nix-Turnaround-will-take-time-but-it-will-happen/db9a58d3-e2b1-4710-8376-15206ff290d1)

I'm with you, Buddy...just don't **** us over.

This is similar to what he said in the preseason, but for those submitting their final evaluations after Week 4, I figured it was worth a look.

BillsWin
10-07-2010, 01:05 PM
People calling for his head this early makes me laugh. Our team is in such a high level of suckitude that calling for a GM's head four games into his first season is just stupid.

Now, if he screws the pooch in this next draft, I will be very vocal about firing him.

OpIv37
10-07-2010, 01:08 PM
People calling for his head this early makes me laugh. Our team is in such a high level of suckitude that calling for a GM's head four games into his first season is just stupid.

Now, if he screws the pooch in this next draft, I will be very vocal about firing him.

let me ask you this: how did we manage to become WORSE than last year?

No one expects perfection, or a playoff season, or even a winning season, right away. But rebuilding is about incrementally getting better. We have actually regressed since last season.

So, criticism of Nix and Gailey is well-warranted. We are going in the wrong direction.

BillsWin
10-07-2010, 01:16 PM

New schemes on both sides of the football. Tough schedule to begin the season. Injuries to a lot of our rookie class/ key injuries to our defensive front seven through the first four weeks. Ie. Poz, Stroud, Davis, etc. Now Moats is out too.

I think we're going to see improvement. It's four games into the season and our losses are to the New England Patriots, two Super Bowl hopefuls in the Jets and Packers and a loss to the Dolphins who always play us tough.

I for one am looking forward to the increased reps given to Jackson and Spiller and I am looking forward to seeing how Bell and Wood continue to improve as they finish healing and work their way to 100%.

justasportsfan
10-07-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm still baffled with the Kelsay signing. It contradicts everything he says about the process. Just like trent, he isn't producing.

OpIv37
10-07-2010, 01:26 PM
New schemes on both sides of the football. Tough schedule to begin the season. Injuries to a lot of our rookie class/ key injuries to our defensive front seven through the first four weeks. Ie. Poz, Stroud, Davis, etc. Now Moats is out too.

I think we're going to see improvement. It's four games into the season and our losses are to the New England Patriots, two Super Bowl hopefuls in the Jets and Packers and a loss to the Dolphins who always play us tough.

I for one am looking forward to the increased reps given to Jackson and Spiller and I am looking forward to seeing how Bell and Wood continue to improve as they finish healing and work their way to 100%.

We had tons of injuries last year. We had a new offensive system last year (remember firing the OC a week before the season started?).

And while we have had a tough schedule, it's the NFL. At some point we're going to have to beat tough teams.

And I don't understand the optimism for Bell on this board. The guy is awful.

As far as Wood, it depends on his recovery. If he can get over the injury, we'll be fine. If not, add G to the list of glaring holes this team has.

Extremebillsfan247
10-07-2010, 01:27 PM

No one expects perfection, or a playoff season, or even a winning season, right away. But rebuilding is about incrementally getting better. We have actually regressed since last season.

So, criticism of Nix and Gailey is well-warranted. We are going in the wrong direction. It's a transition year, they very rarely turn into winning seasons.

Beebe's Kid
10-07-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm still baffled with the Kelsay signing. It contradicts everything he says about the process. Just like trent, he isn't producing.

5 will get you 10 that the Kelsay signing was not Nix... he probably hates it more than the fans. How would an NFL talent evaluator justify this? There isn't one past/present/future that could, in my opinion.

I have said it's not the end of the world, which I believe because it's not, which is probably what Nix said when Ralph said he wanted it done.

RockStar36
10-07-2010, 01:30 PM

So, criticism of Nix and Gailey is well-warranted. We are going in the wrong direction.

The Bills have been trying to rebuild while treading water for the last decade. What they need to do now (and what they are doing) is full blown bottoming out and starting from scratch.

It's the right thing to do, but it's painful to watch.

ddaryl
10-07-2010, 01:31 PM
I have said it's not the end of the world, which I believe because it's not, which is probably what Nix said when Ralph said he wanted it done.

I laugh every time I see a post proclaiming Ralph wants Kelsay signed..

Ralph has nothing to do with these decisions.. Accept the truth

OpIv37
10-07-2010, 01:34 PM
The Bills have been trying to rebuild while treading water for the last decade. What they need to do now (and what they are doing) is full blown bottoming out and starting from scratch.

It's the right thing to do, but it's painful to watch.

why is it the right thing to do a month into the season, but not the right thing to do before the season started? that's where the criticism and confusion comes in.

justasportsfan
10-07-2010, 01:39 PM
why is it the right thing to do a month into the season, but not the right thing to do before the season started? that's where the criticism and confusion comes in.

I can see where Nix and Gailey are coming from when it comes to that. You have to sort out what you have in inventory and test them first before deciding which ones to get rid of , which ones are serviceable and which ones will be here for the future. Unfortunately they are using gameday to find these things out.

Extremebillsfan247
10-07-2010, 01:41 PM

It's the right thing to do, but it's painful to watch.Nix and Gailey were not a part of the last 10 years. Don't you think it's a bit irrational to blame them for that?

malo
10-07-2010, 01:43 PM

Yep.

Hey I don't give credit to this idiot for coming to his senses in week 4 when he had the team for almost a year. AND he was with the team for 2. some people forget this. He should have known the pile of **** he had to dig out from under. That he SEEMS to be getting it NOW shouldn't earn him any credit.

malo
10-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Nix and Gailey were not a part of the last 10 years. Don't you think it's a bit irrational to blame them for that?

Nix was here for 2 years. He should have had his duck in a row. Waiting until week 4 this season is unacceptable. This is the NFL.

Jan Reimers
10-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Right or wrong, I think Gailey wanted to watch some of these guys - obviously, Edwards included - in live, regular season games. It may have been a combination of evaluating them, variously, in new positions, new schemes, and/or with new conditioning and coaching techniques.

malo
10-07-2010, 01:46 PM

this is the same bull**** attitude and thinking that's gotten the team into this mess.

BertSquirtgum
10-07-2010, 01:48 PM
marshmallows suck

RockStar36
10-07-2010, 01:54 PM

I think it's been an overall process, not something that started in Week 4. I think they knew Trent wasn't the guy, but they wanted to be absolutely sure. They knew they weren't going anywhere, so it didn't hurt to give him one last chance to prove himself.

As for the trades, I think with Lynch they held on to him as long as they could trying to maximize this value. I have to think they got more for him now than they would've during the offseason. Teams are a little more hard up for players once the seasons starts and injuries take place.

Extremebillsfan247
10-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Nix was here for 2 years. He should have had his duck in a row. Waiting until week 4 this season is unacceptable. This is the NFL. Wrong, Nix wasn't hired by this team until January 26th of last year as a national scout. He didn't become the GM until January of this year where his moves actually mattered. You need to check that. JMO

Commissioner
10-07-2010, 02:01 PM
as much as Bills fans don't want to hear it.... i believe they have a 4 yr rebuilding plan in order. Bills won't be competitive until then.

malo
10-07-2010, 02:04 PM
I'll believe it when I start seeing it for real.

OpIv37
10-07-2010, 02:10 PM
I can see where Nix and Gailey are coming from when it comes to that. You have to sort out what you have in inventory and test them first before deciding which ones to get rid of , which ones are serviceable and which ones will be here for the future. Unfortunately they are using gameday to find these things out.

ok, except that they had piles of video, plus OTA's, mini camps and training camp to evaluate these guys.

If they actually had to see them in a live game personally to tell that they sucked, then I question their talent evaluation skills.

RockStar36
10-07-2010, 02:10 PM
I'll believe it when I start seeing it for real.

Next time you go on a diet, I'll expect you to lose all the weight within a week. Look, I don't want to hear excuses that it takes time or that it took a while to gain that weight and it will take a while to lose it. I'll want results NOW! I won't believe it till I see it.

RockStar36
10-07-2010, 02:12 PM
ok, except that they had piles of video, plus OTA's, mini camps and training camp to evaluate these guys.

If they actually had to see them in a live game personally to tell that they sucked, then I question their talent evaluation skills.

It is possible that Edwards looked good in practice and preseason (because teams played vanilla offenses).

Fact is, they saw 2 games, realized he did in fact suck, and they were done with him. That is something the previous regime never would've done.

justasportsfan
10-07-2010, 02:12 PM

you can't just use tape to assess guys. See Maybin.

Extremebillsfan247
10-07-2010, 02:37 PM

lol That's all fine but none of these guys on offense ever played in a Gailey style offense, and the defense wasn't built for a 3/4. Although they did add players through free agency and the draft, they didn't expect the defensive secondary to crap out like it has.

If Preseason was enough to evaluate them, go back and watch the Cincy game. Oh, and the fact that blitzing packages are rarely ever used in preseason, this staff had no way of knowing how Edwards would react to that until the season had started. Again, it goes back to how Gailey's offense differed from the last regimes.

So, it's not a question of evaluation of talent, it's a question of time. Fans here seem more interested in blaming the last 10 years of mistakes on these guys who have only had an offseason and 4 games in to figure it out, rather than giving them a chance to actually do something before asking for a billboard to have them fired. That's a bit extreme in my opinion considering it took Polian and Levy longer than that to build what they had. We need to give these guys time. JMO

malo
10-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Next time you go on a diet, I'll expect you to lose all the weight within a week. Look, I don't want to hear excuses that it takes time or that it took a while to gain that weight and it will take a while to lose it. I'll want results NOW! I won't believe it till I see it.

Nix was PART OF THIS ORGANIZATION FOR 2 YEARS.

Mother****er, when I'm on a diet, I lose weight within a year. I have, since June, lost almost 20 pounds.

Nix, in 1 year, made the team clearly worse.

what a stupid analogy.

OpIv37
10-07-2010, 02:42 PM
lol That's all fine but none of these guys on offense ever played in a Gailey style offense, and the defense wasn't built for a 3/4. Although they did add players through free agency and the draft, they didn't expect the defensive secondary to crap out like it has.

If Preseason was enough to evaluate them, go back and watch the Cincy game. Oh, and the fact that blitzing packages are rarely ever used in preseason, this staff had no way of knowing how Edwards would react to that until the season had started. Again, it goes back to how Gailey's offense differed from the last regimes.

So, it's not a question of evaluation of talent, it's a question of time. Fans here seem more interested in blaming the last 10 years of mistakes on these guys who have only had an offseason and 4 games in to figure it out, rather than giving them a chance to actually do something before asking for a billboard to have them fired. That's a bit extreme in my opinion considering it took Polian and Levy longer than that to build what they had. We need to give these guys time. JMO
Except that these guys are making the exact same mistakes as the people responsible for the last 10 years. Exhibit A: Kelsay. Exhibit B: using our best draft pick on a position where we are already good then leaving him on the bench.

And there is plenty of video of how poorly Trent handles the blitz. It was naive of Gailey to think his system could fix that.

malo
10-07-2010, 02:43 PM
It is possible that Edwards looked good in practice and preseason (because teams played vanilla offenses).

Fact is, they saw 2 games, realized he did in fact suck, and they were done with him. That is something the previous regime never would've done.

2 games? 2 games? They didn't watch his previous seasons.

Man, get the **** out of here.

Extremebillsfan247
10-07-2010, 02:49 PM

Mother****er, when I'm on a diet, I lose weight within a year. I have, since June, lost almost 20 pounds.

what a stupid analogy. lol I don't know where you keep getting this 2 years with the organization thing from but your wrong.

malo
10-07-2010, 02:49 PM
lol I don't know where you keep getting this 2 years with the organization thing from but your wrong.

He wasn't national scout director or whatever his title was?

malo
10-07-2010, 02:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Nix
Nix was hired as a National Scout for the Buffalo Bills on January 26, 2009. He was named General Manager of the Buffalo Bills on December 31, 2009, after Russ Brandon was promoted to CEO

Billz_fan
10-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Yeah, it's gonna take time. Because no one else in this league ever turns it around without taking a long time. Didn't the Rams win 1 game last year and already have 2 wins this year ? There are many more examples and everyone knows it. We are not asking for playoffs this year but we are asking for signs of improvement. There are none with the same team Jauron won games with. They are making Dicky look good.

It does not need to take a long time "IF" you have the right people making decisions and getting talent. Obviously we don't. These guys are asked to rebuild the team without the benefit of Free agency. So we have the draft and this team stinks at drafting. so how are they to get better ?? They are not going to.

Buddy is passing out the kool aid. This team will not get better with this regime. Mark it 8 dude :laughter:

malo
2 ****ing drafts. 2 ****ING DRAFTS! Nix brought us Maybin. He should eat ****!

Extremebillsfan247
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Nix
Nix was hired as a National Scout for the Buffalo Bills on January 26, 2009. He was named General Manager of the Buffalo Bills on December 31, 2009, after Russ Brandon was promoted to CEORight, is it 2011 yet? 2009 was last year. lol

malo
10-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Yeah, it's gonna take time. Because no one else in this league ever turns it around without taking a long time. Didn't the Rams win 1 game last year and already have 2 wins this year ? There are many more examples and everyone knows it.

It does not need to take a long time "IF" you have the right people making decisions and getting talent. Obviously we don't. These guys are asked to rebuild the team without the benefit of Free agency. So we have the draft and this team stinks at drafting. so how are they to get better ?? They are not going to.

Buddy is passing out the kool aid. This team will not get better with this regime. Mark it 8 dude :laughter:

Dolphins 1-15 2007 11-5 2008

malo
10-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Right, is it 2011 yet? 2009 was last year. lol

gee wiz, a year and 10 months. sorry for saying 2.

Extremebillsfan247
10-07-2010, 02:55 PM
2 ****ing drafts. 2 ****ING DRAFTS! Nix brought us Maybin. He should eat ****!Nix was a scout when Maybin was drafted which means he scouted and evaluated talent for analysis. He had no part in the actual selection process.

malo
10-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Nix was a scout when Maybin was drafted which means he scouted and evaluated talent for analysis. He had no part in the actual selection process.

so he didn't have the cojones to speak up.

Makes him a coward.

wmoz11
10-07-2010, 02:57 PM
gee wiz, a year and 10 months. sorry for saying 2.

Yeah, no. December 2009 + 12 months = December 2010 - which we're not yet in.

Back to school.

I don't care when he became a scout.

Extremebillsfan247
10-07-2010, 02:58 PM
so he didn't have the cojones to speak up.

Makes him a coward.lmao you can't seriously think that. I did get a laugh out of that response though. Thanks. But really, Jauron called all the shots on draft day and no one over ruled his pick except for Wilson. That's how it worked.

malo
10-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Nix was hired as a National Scout for the Buffalo Bills on January 26, 2009.

January, not December.

Back to school.

malo
10-07-2010, 03:00 PM
lmao you can't seriously think that. I did get a laugh out of that response though. Thanks.

:up:

OpIv37
10-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah, no. December 2009 + 12 months = December 2010 - which we're not yet in.

Back to school.

I don't care when he became a scout.

you should care because this team's scouting has been atrocious. Everyone affiliated with it should be fired, not promoted.

RockStar36
10-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Dolphins 1-15 2007 11-5 2008

Exactly munchkin, the Dolphins BOTTOMED OUT and then improved.

The Bills are in PART ONE of that process.

Billz_fan
10-07-2010, 03:08 PM

no no no, the Dolphins did it from 1 season to the next. Not a big gap in between.

RockStar36
10-07-2010, 03:09 PM

what a stupid analogy.

It's not.

For years...YEARS...the Bills have been treading water, going 7-9, signing players like T.O. and trying to either win or sell tickets.

This year they are bottoming out, completely starting over, and the beginning of the process is indeed painful.

When the Bills are 0-4 at this point next season and have still done nothing, then you can say it was a stupid analogy.

RockStar36
10-07-2010, 03:10 PM
no no no, the Dolphins did it from 1 season to the next. Not a big gap in between.

The Dolphins went 1-15. Then won the division the following year.

This year, 2010, is the 1-15 part for the Bills. I'm not saying they will win the division next year, but this is the start of it. Accept it.

Bad teams need to bottom out and start from scratch. How did the Colts get Peyton Manning?

Billz_fan
10-07-2010, 03:15 PM

This year, 2010, is the 1-15 part for the Bills. I'm not saying they will win the division next year, but this is the start of it. Accept it.

Bad teams need to bottom out and start from scratch. How did the Colts get Peyton Manning?

Keep drinking the kool aid. The Bills will not win with this regime. Bookmark it do whatever you want. This team will not rebuild with nothing but the draft. It will take more years than they have only using the draft. Thats if they draft well and if they draft well it will be a first for this team in the last 10 years. They already screwed the pooch on there first draft IMO. Drafting Spiller was dumb. From the NFLPA the avg life of a RB in the NFL is 2.6 years. No way this team is ready to contend by the time Spiller is hurt or moved on in FA.

RockStar36
10-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Keep drinking the kool aid. The Bills will not win with this regime. Bookmark it do whatever you want. This team will not rebuild with nothing but the draft. It will take more years than they have only using the draft. Thats if they draft well and if they draft well it will be a first for this team in the last 10 years. They already screwed the pooch on there first draft IMO. Drafting Spiller was dumb. From the NFLPA the avg life of a RB in the NFL is 2.6 years. No way this team is ready to contend by the time Spiller is hurt or moved on in FA.

Ah, so in 2.6 years Spiller will be out of the league. I guess Lynch missed the memo on that.

And I'm the last person drinking the kool aid. But I guess that requires you to read what people write, not sure you can handle that.

Billz_fan
10-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Ah, so in 2.6 years Spiller will be out of the league. I guess Lynch missed the memo on that.

And I'm the last person drinking the kool aid. But I guess that requires you to read what people write, not sure you can handle that.

Those figures are from the Players Union which means it's an average. So yeah it works out that way more times than not. Believe what you like.

edit:I would love to revisit next season and the season after and see if you or I was correct. Of course that won't happen but it doesn't really matter anyway.

Ingtar33
10-07-2010, 03:33 PM

The colts were atrocious for the better part of a decade before getting manning.

as to your fins example... the fins didn't intentionally bottom out, they had a talented roster with an asshat of a coach, some bad luck, and a GM who was out of his depth... it wasn't a plan.

Sorry to say, but while i can buy that Gailey and Nix meant to evaluate the team this year... I don't buy that they meant to crash and burn as well. so claiming this is part of a plan is asinine. I think they knew they weren't a playoff team and meant to figure out what they need to fix to get it there... else they would have blown up the roster in the offseason.

They look like they thought they were a few players away from the playoffs, only to discover that they were most of a roster away from the playoffs. now it's a convenient excuse for why this season is going down the drain... to basically say, we didn't feel like watching tape to eval the talent, but would rather use an NFL season to do it... wasting the owner's time and money, and the communities time and money because we're too lazy to do our jobs properly in the offseason.

it's not our fault! don't look at the man behind the curtain, this is all proceeding according to our plan... really!

malo
10-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Waiting to bottom out is another myth perpetuated by losers.

Ingtar33
10-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Waiting to bottom out is another myth perpetuated by losers.

yep... that's the lament of the detroit lions fan... how did that work out... drafting in the top 5 for a decade?

The colts somehow have won their division something silly like 5 straight years, and 7 of the last 10 drafting in the late 20's for over a decade now.

Billz_fan
10-07-2010, 03:41 PM
yep... that's the lament of the detroit lions fan... how did that work out... drafting in the top 5 for a decade?

The colts somehow have won their division something silly like 5 straight years, and 7 of the last 10 drafting in the late 20's for over a decade now.

Not to mention the Patriots who have managed to win while amassing draft pics like crazy, they have like 2 picks in each of the first 4 rounds in the upcoming draft. They are rebuilding on the fly.

Maybe we should tell them they need to bottom out first ??

Mr. Pink
10-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Four words...

In over his head.

malo
10-07-2010, 03:47 PM

what's this munchkin part? you don't know me.

better days
10-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Come on OpIv you damn well why we are worse than last year. NEW Offense+ New Defense, + difficult schedule= worse than last year.

Historian
10-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Well, nobody is ever going to accuse Nix of being the smartest guy in the room, lol

Billz_fan
10-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Come on OpIv you damn well why we are worse than last year. NEW Offense+ New Defense, + difficult schedule= worse than last year.

Im not trying to be a smart ass or anything really. One thing that has always been a pet peeve of mine is the excuse that teams got a difficult schedule. Every game in this league is up in the air until it's played. Teams go from good to bad and bad to good every season. I think everyone has a tough schedule.

malo
10-07-2010, 04:00 PM

You forgot a few other parts of the equation. +doing nothing to improve the team talent the past offseason.

better days
10-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Im not trying to be a smart ass or anything really. One thing that has always been a pet peeve of mine is the excuse that teams got a difficult schedule. Every game in this league is up in the air until it's played. Teams go from good to bad and bad to good every season. I think everyone has a tough schedule.

This is week 5 not week 1. OK, name the teams that look easy to you. There are not many IMO.

Billz_fan
10-07-2010, 04:13 PM
This is week 5 not week 1. OK, name the teams that look easy to you. There are not many IMO.

I guess you didn't get my point ? I don't think any games are easy whether it's week 1,5 or it's preseason. Thats why I said I don't believe in the tough schedule excuse. People think games look hard or easy on the schedule and thats silly. Every team wins games they weren't supposed to and loses games they should have won. I don't know how else to say it.

RockStar36
10-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Those figures are from the Players Union which means it's an average. So yeah it works out that way more times than not. Believe what you like.

edit:I would love to revisit next season and the season after and see if you or I was correct. Of course that won't happen but it doesn't really matter anyway.

That's fine with me. I'll be here.

I'm not saying they'll be great. What I'm saying is they tried to rebuild in a half ass way the past decade or so.

If they are going to rebuild, they need to do it right and bottom out.

I was more offended at them for re-signing Jauron and bringing T.O. in last year than I am for this mess.

TacklingDummy
10-07-2010, 05:00 PM
If I was 0-4 I would be blaming someone else too.

OpIv37
10-07-2010, 10:16 PM

Fair enough- I did say that.

However, I was thinking we'd be 2-3 games worse than last year. I didn't think we'd be completely ****ing incompetent.

OpIv37
10-07-2010, 10:19 PM
That's fine with me. I'll be here.

I'm not saying they'll be great. What I'm saying is they tried to rebuild in a half ass way the past decade or so.

If they are going to rebuild, they need to do it right and bottom out.

I was more offended at them for re-signing Jauron and bringing T.O. in last year than I am for this mess.

Once again, I have to go back to this:

Why NOW? Why not during the off-season?

Why not trade Lynch before the draft? Why not cut Meredith before the season starts? Why not cut Edwards before the season starts? Why even bother keeping Mitchell instead of cutting or trading him before he got hurt?

If anything, it seems like they're bottoming out as a plan B. It looks like they went into the season thinking "let's give this thing a go." Then when they saw the results, they thought "oh ****, better bottom out." And that speaks volumes about their lack of a plan and poor talent evaluation.