10-07-2010, 03:06 PM
"It's been a pleasure"

Hmmmmmm?

more cowbell
10-07-2010, 03:07 PM
oh my god ill be so happy if he's gone

OpIv37
10-07-2010, 03:08 PM
if he's gone, it'll be the happiest the Bills have made me since they signed Spikes in 2003.

Bangarang
10-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Just heard about this on Schopp and the Bulldog. Went to Whtiner's twitter page and didn't see anything. Possibly deleted?

Beebe's Kid
10-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Donte's Tweet
I'd like to say its been a pleasure 31 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/DonteWhitner/status/26679095851) via Twitter for BlackBerry® (http://blackberry.com/twitter)

Link (http://twitter.com/DonteWhitner?from_source=onebox)

OpIv37
10-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Maybe he's just quitting Twitter.

That wouldn't be as good as getting him off the team, but it would be a good start.

hydro
10-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Just heard about this on Schopp and the Bulldog. Went to Whtiner's twitter page and didn't see anything. Possibly deleted?

It's there. Second tweet.

Commissioner
Looks like he just got rid of his twitter page. Mr. Sensitive didn't like being criticized.

RockStar36
DAMNIT.

I thought he'd be traded, but I should've known it would just be him getting rid of Twitter.

**** you Donte.

Dr. Lecter
He is still the best safety on the team and was the only defender who made any plays on Sunday.

The guy gets way more blame than he deserves. As much as people will say I am buts, he is probably the best or second best player on the defense this year. (Due in part to the defense sucking, no doubt)

RockStar36
10-07-2010, 03:12 PM
He is still the best safety on the team and was the only defender who made any plays on Sunday.

The guy gets way more blame than he deserves. As much as people will say I am buts, he is probably the best or second best player on the defense this year. (Due in part to the defense sucking, no doubt)

When has he EVER done anything good? Last year in Week 2? Seriously Doc, I couldn't disagree with you more on this.

Dr. Lecter
10-07-2010, 03:14 PM
When has he EVER done anything good? Last year in Week 2? Seriously Doc, I couldn't disagree with you more on this.

Last Sunday he broke up a pass to Edwards and stuffed Greene for a 2 yard loss on 3rd and 2.

He is not a great player. I am not saying that. He is a good player that talks too much and was taken way too high.

But he is his better than Wilson, Scott or Byrd (who has done nothing this year and can't tackle worth a damn).

OpIv37
10-07-2010, 03:14 PM
He is still the best safety on the team

That's like being the fastest sprinter at fat camp.

That's like being the smartest window-licker on the short bus.

That's like being the best athlete at the Special Olympics.

That's like being the coolest guy at Band Camp.

That's like being valedictorian of the University of Miami.

Do I need to continue?

Oaf
10-07-2010, 03:15 PM
The guy is a better tackler than people give him credit for. Is he weak in coverage? Yes. But the guy is a good tackler, especially given the fact of how many backs get through our front 7 without so much as a two-hand touch.

RockStar36
10-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Last Sunday he broke up a pass to Edwards and stuffed Greene for a 2 yard loss on 3rd and 2.

He is not a great player. I am not saying that. He is a good player that talks too much and was taken way too high.

But he is his better than Wilson, Scott or Byrd (who has done nothing this year and can't tackle worth a damn).

He also got toasted by a 31 year old RB.

Byrd has already exceeded Whitner's career.

Saying he is better than Wilson or Scott doesn't mean Whitner is good, just that he's better than bad players. Big deal.

Dr. Lecter

Do I need to continue?

You made it the U and not FSU, so I will let you slide.

Of course you could have also said the best coach at Notre Dame for the last ten years too.

BTW, personal insults are not allowed. Apologize to S11 for the 2nd and 3rd ones on your list.

OpIv37
The guy is a better tackler than people give him credit for. Is he weak in coverage? Yes. But the guy is a good tackler, especially given the fact of how many backs get through our front 7 without so much as a two-hand touch.

he's a good tackler in traffic. He sucks in open space or if he has to take an angle on a long run.

Stewie
10-07-2010, 03:17 PM
"Guys chill I haven't been traded, well not that I kno of"

dannyek71
10-07-2010, 03:18 PM
It is quite obvious. He has been traded to NE for Tom Brady, their 2 1st round picks, and the head of Bill Belichick.

Dr. Lecter

Saying he is better than Wilson or Scott doesn't mean Whitner is good, just that he's better than bad players. Big deal.
Yeah he did. He was flat footed. And the rest of the defense did too on that play. But he gets the blame for the RB not being touched for 8 yards.

Byrd had a great rookie season. And this year has been terrible both in coverage and against the run. Byrd was quite opportunistic his rookie year. Exceeding Whitner's career? Not sure that can be said.

dannyek71
he's a good tackler in traffic. He sucks in open space or if he has to take an angle on a long run.

Meaning he jumps on piles

The King
10-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Guys chill I haven't been traded, well not that I kno of

RoscoeMagic
10-07-2010, 03:20 PM
LOL who would give anything other than a 6th rounder for this drama king?

RockStar36
10-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Yeah he did. He was flat footed. And the rest of the defense did too on that play. But he gets the blame for the RB not being touched for 8 yards.

Byrd had a great rookie season. And this year has been terrible both in coverage and against the run. Byrd was quite opportunistic his rookie year. Exceeding Whitner's career? Not sure that can be said.

My ass has exceeded Whitner's career.

SabreEleven
10-07-2010, 03:22 PM

Do I need to continue?

You forgot...

That's like being an Admin on The BillsZone Message board.

streetkings01
10-07-2010, 03:24 PM
he's a good tackler in traffic. He sucks in open space or if he has to take an angle on a long run.Evidence of that LT TD run where Whitner whiffed. He looked like Mark Kelso against Tim Brown in that playoff game back in 93.

trapezeus
10-07-2010, 03:26 PM
yet again, whitner tweeted, got me excited and then couldn't live up to expectations. When will i ever learn?

jpdex12
10-07-2010, 03:30 PM
well...Indy needs a safety real bad! He might be headed out the door? Wait and see.

psubills62
10-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Guys chill I haven't been traded, well not that I kno of

Bedard?? Are you...Donte Whitner?

Bill Cody
10-07-2010, 03:37 PM

Bad example. It's pretty hard now to get into the U, check out the average SAT's online if you don't believe me. No offense but I would be extremely impressed if you were smart enough to be the valedictorian there.

OpIv37
10-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Bad example. It's pretty hard now to get into the U, check out the average SAT's online if you don't believe me. No offense but I would be extremely impressed if you were smart enough to be the valedictorian there.

arrrgh.

The joke isn't funny if you take it literally.

RockStar36
10-07-2010, 04:57 PM
arrrgh.

The joke isn't funny if you take it literally.

:rofl:

Mad Max
10-07-2010, 05:20 PM
"I could get a fine from the NFL right now if I felt like letting some of u punks kno to leave me the ***** alone! Thanks!" - Whitner from Twitter

This guy will never get it. He get's onto a public forum voluntarily, shoots his mouth off constantly, always under-delivers, and then throws hissy fits when people dare mock his mediocrity.

DMBcrew36
10-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Maybe he's saying goodbye because he's committing suicide.

He can't handle it anymore.

:whistle:

JD
10-07-2010, 05:44 PM
I spit up my meatloaf all over my keyboard when I yelled in excitement thinking this meant he was gone.

X-Era
10-07-2010, 05:45 PM
He should simply step away from the computer... like many of us should.

Mad Max
10-07-2010, 05:49 PM
He should simply step away from the computer... like many of us should.

He'd have to live in a cave to escape his twitter addiction....many of his tweets are from his Blackberry.

bflojohn
10-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Personally, I think his production is relative to the lack of pass rush or impact players on defense. Posluszny and Whitner probably get seen in a different light if the Pittsburgh or Baltimore front three resided in front of them! Just a thought.

Mad Max
10-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Personally, I think his production is relative to the lack of pass rush or impact players on defense. Posluszny and Whitner probably get seen in a different light if the Pittsburgh or Baltimore front three resided in front of them! Just a thought.

They both have about the same amount of talent. The difference is that POZ just goes about his business in a professional manner...quietly. The same obviously can't be said about Whitner.

Whitner thereby paints the target on himself when his play doesn't match his mouth/tweets.

BertSquirtgum
10-07-2010, 06:46 PM
i took a poo earlier that was better at football than whitner.

JCBills
10-07-2010, 06:57 PM

George Wilson's season last year > anything I've seen from Whitner so far.

Really sad because one is a top 10 pick and the other is a converted WR UDFA.

patmoran2006
10-07-2010, 07:48 PM

You're crazy--in all due respect.

Thurmal
10-07-2010, 08:36 PM

Wilson and Scott aren't bad players at all. Do they have limitations? Yes. But they both make plays and go hard when they're in the game.

Dr. Lecter
10-07-2010, 08:37 PM
You're crazy--in all due respect.

Who on defense has been better?

Clearly nobody on the D-Line. Edwards, Stroud and Williams have done nothing and all get beat by single teams.

Linebackers? No sane person would claim any of them have been better. Kelsay is clearly the worst. Poz does not stay healthy. Davis? Ugh. Torbor? Has he played at all?

Byrd? Hell no. He has made no plays and is way worse against the run. Florence? Horrible this year - he has more penalties than passes defended. McGee? Maybe. He has been OK. McKelvin makes some plays and then gets burned - he is arguable as well.

chernobylwraiths
10-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Some of you people are so hilarious. The guy is a decent player. It is not his fault he was taken above better players. He has played well for us and "Oh My GOD" missed on a few plays. He is good for a quote and the media loves guys who will give a quote. Some of you people wouldn't know a good football player if he were shoved up your ass.

By the way, defensive backs are usually as good as the pass rush. If there is no pass rush, the defensive backs will look like crap.

Dr. Lecter
10-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Some of you people are so hilarious. The guy is a decent player. It is not his fault he was taken above better players. He has played well for us and "Oh My GOD" missed on a few plays. He is good for a quote and the media loves guys who will give a quote. Some of you people wouldn't know a good football player if he were shoved up your ass.

By the way, defensive backs are usually as good as the pass rush. If there is no pass rush, the defensive backs will look like crap.

I think there is a Tom Brady joke in there somewhere, but I will let Op go at it.

chernobylwraiths
10-07-2010, 08:45 PM
I think there is a Tom Brady joke in there somewhere, but I will let Op go at it.

This is what happens when you have a horrible team. Most people knew this team was horrible and was going to be horrible but once the truth is revealed, there has to be someone to point the blame at. I see an "I hate Donte Whitner" thread every week. Please, for God's sake, stop reading his quotes!

Doc, you might as well try to defend Hitler here. You would have a better chance at someone listening. Well, a LOT better considering things I have read in the spin zone.

Dr. Lecter
10-07-2010, 08:56 PM
There are no threads dedicated to Marcus Stroud or Andra Davis, both of whom are way worse than Whitner.

TigerJ
10-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Maybe he's being kicked off of Twitter.

OpIv37
10-07-2010, 10:09 PM
There are no threads dedicated to Marcus Stroud or Andra Davis, both of whom are way worse than Whitner.

neither were #8 picks.

neither talk **** on Twitter or to the media while doing nothing on the field.

neither have been tased by the cops.

neither of them have a cadre of defenders to jump on anyone who criticizes him, no matter how justified that criticism may be.

Dr. Lecter
10-07-2010, 10:15 PM
neither were #8 picks.

neither talk **** on Twitter or to the media while doing nothing on the field.

neither have been tased by the cops.

neither of them have a cadre of defenders to jump on anyone who criticizes him, no matter how justified that criticism may be.
1. That has nothing to do with how good of a player they are. And Stroud is making way more money than Whitner,

2. Agreed. And I said he talks too much.

3. Huh? That also has nothing to do with how good or bad of a player one is. And he was cleared of any charges. We all know cops never taser anybody without a good reason. Especially black guys. Ain't never happened.

4. And neither are overly criticized for every single play, more or action they take. Neither are blamed for every single thing wrong with the team. He gets defended at times because the criticism is way over the top for him.

The LT play is a perfect example - yes Whitner missed the tackle. But NOBODY mentions that the front 7 never even touched LT. Hell, Whitner was the only player close to him.

Do the front 7 deserve any blame? They sure as hell were not given any.

OpIv37
10-07-2010, 10:22 PM
1. That has nothing to do with how good of a player they are. And Stroud is making way more money than Whitner,

2. Agreed. And I said he talks too much.

3. Huh? That also has nothing to do with how good or bad of a player one is. And he was cleared of any charges. We all know cops never taser anybody without a good reason. Especially black guys. Ain't never happened.

4. And neither are overly criticized for every single play, more or action they take. Neither are blamed for every single thing wrong with the team. He gets defended at times because the criticism is way over the top for him.

The LT play is a perfect example - yes Whitner missed the tackle. But NOBODY mentions that the front 7 never even touched LT. Hell, Whitner was the only player close to him.

Do the front 7 deserve any blame? They sure as hell were not given any.

In an ideal world, the front 7 would have fought off their blocks and done something. But since that didn't happen, I have far more respect for a defender getting blocked than a "great tackler/hard hitter" completely whiffing on a 31 year old running back.

Bravo82
10-07-2010, 10:25 PM
LOL who would give anything other than a 6th rounder for this drama king?

I'm sick and tired of the Whitner hate you spew in almost every thread. Consider your post negged good sir :monkeyp: :mad:

topher180
10-07-2010, 10:49 PM

OMG dude let it go already. No one agrees with you. Take your face out of Whitner's lap.

And you Stroud analogy shows your ignorance and dillusion, btw.

Dr. Lecter
10-08-2010, 05:00 AM
OMG dude let it go already. No one agrees with you. Take your face out of Whitner's lap.

And you Stroud analogy shows your ignorance and dillusion, btw.

Frankly I really don't care if anybody agrees with me or not. Ain't the point.

And what is wrong with the Stroud point? He has been crap this year. He is washed up and done. Watching him get manhandled by single teams is not a very appealing scene.

BTW, if you want to discuss "ignorance" and "dillusion", the fact that others have agreed with me IN THIS THREAD does seem to indicate that I am not the ignorant one. Just sayin'.

Extremebillsfan247
10-08-2010, 05:23 AM
"It's been a pleasure"

Hmmmmmm? It's called reading too much into basically nothing. Even Tim Graham bit on it which started a small exchange of words between him and Whitner in which another tweeter who I will not name instigated into something bigger than what it actually was. JMO Nothing to see there. Whitner isn't going anywhere, at least not yet.

chernobylwraiths
10-08-2010, 05:54 AM
In an ideal world, the front 7 would have fought off their blocks and done something. But since that didn't happen, I have far more respect for a defender getting blocked than a "great tackler/hard hitter" completely whiffing on a 31 year old running back.

What the hell does it matter how old the guy is? He is a future Hall of Famer. Whitner was moving in on the play, which limits lateral movement. Add to that that Tomlinson got to choose where he wanted to go because nobody was around him and you have an incredible whiff. It looked like a punt or kick return, Whitner picked which way he thought he might go and chose wrong.

Mahdi
10-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Whinter has definitely not lived up to his billing as a #8 overall pick. Everyone clearly agrees on that point.

But we seem to put way too much blame on him for the play of the defense as a whole and not enough credit for the success of our pass defense since he has been here.

Whitner quite possibly has the worst front 7 in Football playing in front of him so people should realize that making plays in that situation is difficult.

We have no pass rush to speak of and RBs are constantly breaking through the front 7 and challenging safeties. Whitner had like 12 tackles last week so he was called upon a lot to make tackles when DL and LBs don't do their jobs. It's only a matter of time before you are 1 on 1 with a RB in the open field and you look silly.

Whitner is not a great safety but he is a good safety playing with a horrible team.

RockStar36
10-08-2010, 07:48 AM
What the hell does it matter how old the guy is? He is a future Hall of Famer. Whitner was moving in on the play, which limits lateral movement. Add to that that Tomlinson got to choose where he wanted to go because nobody was around him and you have an incredible whiff. It looked like a punt or kick return, Whitner picked which way he thought he might go and chose wrong.

Thurman Thomas IS a Hall of Famer, but I would hope people could tackle him these days now that he's older.

So yes, age matters in this.

RockStar36
10-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Sometimes I think people miss things about Whitner. Like it's not just the tweeting, it's the constant running of his mouth after almost every single play. He really needs to shut his damn mouth.

Mahdi
10-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Sometimes I think people miss things about Whitner. Like it's not just the tweeting, it's the constant running of his mouth after almost every single play. He really needs to shut his damn mouth.
I agree. He definitely needs to distance himself from the public and focus on himself.

OpIv37
10-08-2010, 08:09 AM

Age matters. People slow down as they get older. RB's really hit a wall around 30.

If Whitner was as good a tackler as he should be, he wouldn't have had to guess- he would have been able to close the gap fast enough and at least slow him down.

Ickybaluky
10-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Thurman Thomas IS a Hall of Famer, but I would hope people could tackle him these days now that he's older.

LT is on pace for over 1,300 yards and is averaging over 6 yards per carry. I think that means that Whitner isn't the only guy having trouble tackling him. You make it sound like LT is a stiff, he looks great.

Ickybaluky
10-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Age matters. People slow down as they get older. RB's really hit a wall around 30.

If Whitner was as good a tackler as he should be, he wouldn't have had to guess- he would have been able to close the gap fast enough and at least slow him down.

Have you watched LT this year? The guy doesn't look old to me.

Mahdi
10-08-2010, 08:16 AM

RB's GENERALLY hit the wall at 30. But if you're watching Tomlinson he clearly has not. He is moving very well and has all his cuts back that he hasn't had the last two years dealing with injuries.

When you're 1 on 1 with a guy like Tomlinson in the open field making that tackle is less than 50%, there's just too much space to defend.

RockStar36
10-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Have you watched LT this year? The guy doesn't look old to me.

Yes, I've watched LT this year. I also know he hasn't had higher than 76 yards before gashing the Bills for 133.

Polamalu doesn't miss that tackle. Bob Sanders doesn't miss that tackle (if he even plays). Whitner misses the tackle.

OpIv37
10-08-2010, 08:25 AM
RB's GENERALLY hit the wall at 30. But if you're watching Tomlinson he clearly has not. He is moving very well and has all his cuts back that he hasn't had the last two years dealing with injuries.

When you're 1 on 1 with a guy like Tomlinson in the open field making that tackle is less than 50%, there's just too much space to defend.

What's the percentage of full-on whiffs?

We're not just talking about a missed tackle here. Whitner didn't even get a fingertip on him.

As bad as the Bills have been over the last decade, we've had some pretty good RB's. I don't recall any one of them ever making an NFL defender flat-out whiff. And we've played some pretty damn good RB's- I don't recall any one of them making our worst defender flat-out whiff.

This wasn't just a missed tackle. This was epic highlight reel material.

Dr. Lecter
10-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Yes, I've watched LT this year. I also know he hasn't had higher than 76 yards before gashing the Bills for 133.

Polamalu doesn't miss that tackle. Bob Sanders doesn't miss that tackle (if he even plays). Whitner misses the tackle.
I think we have already all agreed that Whitner is not elite (BTW, Sanders would not have been playing or would have been injured on the play).

RockStar36
10-08-2010, 08:27 AM
What's the percentage of full-on whiffs?

We're not just talking about a missed tackle here. Whitner didn't even get a fingertip on him.

As bad as the Bills have been over the last decade, we've had some pretty good RB's. I don't recall any one of them ever making an NFL defender flat-out whiff. And we've played some pretty damn good RB's- I don't recall any one of them making our worst defender flat-out whiff.

This wasn't just a missed tackle. This was epic highlight reel material.

People are missing the overall picture.

If Spiller put a move on a defender like that and the guy whiffed that bad, you'd see 100 different Youtube highlights on the board about how Spiller embarrassed the guy. But when Whitner is the one missing it, let's play the excuse game.

Ickybaluky
10-08-2010, 08:27 AM

He is averaging 6 yards a carry, and he also hasn't rushed for less than 62 in a game. He averaged 5.6 against Baltimore (who is pretty good against the run), 6.9 against NE, 4.7 against Miami and 7.0 against the Bills. Shonne Green is playing in the same offense and isn't averaging close to what LT is. He is getting more carries as the year goes on, which is why he didn't hit 100 till the Bills.

Seriously, LT is running as well as anyone other than Adrian Peterson this year. There is no shame in missing a tackle on him. He is an all-time great playing well.

You mention any S you want, they all have missed tackles. No player is perfect. To focus on one missed tackle to criticize the guy is silly. At least he tried, most of the other Bills were on their backs at the time.

RockStar36
10-08-2010, 08:29 AM
He is averaging 6 yards a carry, and he also hasn't rushed for less than 62 in a game. He averaged 5.6 against Baltimore (who is pretty good against the run), 6.9 against NE, 4.7 against Miami and 7.0 against the Bills. Shonne Green is playing in the same offense and isn't averaging close to what LT is. He is getting more carries as the year goes on, which is why he didn't hit 100 till the Bills.

Seriously, LT is running as well as anyone other than Adrian Peterson this year. There is no shame in missing a tackle on him. He is an all-time great playing well.

You mention any S you want, they all have missed tackles. No player is perfect. To focus on one missed tackle to criticize the guy is silly. At least he tried, most of the other Bills were on their backs at the time.

But that's just it, it ISN'T just one missed tackle.

It's been this kind of play for the past 3 or 4 years. You've watched Bills and Pats games before (I think), how many times are the Pats receivers catching first down passes and all you see is Whitner's back to the play?

OpIv37
10-08-2010, 08:33 AM
But that's just it, it ISN'T just one missed tackle.

It's been this kind of play for the past 3 or 4 years. You've watched Bills and Pats games before (I think), how many times are the Pats receivers catching first down passes and all you see is Whitner's back to the play?

During the Pats 16-0 season, they handed us one of their typical beatdowns and I think Brady threw 4 TD passes. On every single one of them, the pass either whizzed past Whitner's head, or Whitner was desperately running in trying to make the play but being a day late and a dollar short. You can go back and watch the highlights and #20 is on screen for every single Pats score, not doing his job.

OpIv37
10-08-2010, 08:34 AM

First, there is ALWAYS shame in an NFL defender flat-out whiffing on a tackle.

Second, it's not just one play. Whitner had passes caught in front of him all game, and in fact, has been mediocre at best for his entire NFL career.

Ickybaluky
10-08-2010, 08:35 AM

Rod Woodson is one of the greatest players in NFL history. He was listed as one of the leagues top 100 players ever in NFL History (#41) on a recent NFL Network special. He was on the NFL's 75th anniversary team and made pro bowls as both a CB and S.

In 1995, smack in the prime of his career he was faked out so badly by Barry Sanders while trying to make a tackle he missed him completely. In fact, in trying to change direction after Sanders made his fake, he blew out his ACL.

The fact is, all players miss tackles. They miss them quite badly at times. It happens, especially when playing against a great RB, which LT undoubtedly is. There is no shame in that.

Picking out one play like that where they guy missed a tackle is just assinine. I realize you are disappointed he hasn't lived up to his draft position, but that play isn't indicative of why. You are just piling on.

RockStar36
10-08-2010, 08:37 AM
I can't believe I'm arguing with someone who is defending Whitner.

Of course, it's a Pats fan, who probably loves the fact that his team faces Whitner twice a year, so I can see why he likes him so much.

Ickybaluky
10-08-2010, 08:41 AM
During the Pats 16-0 season, they handed us one of their typical beatdowns and I think Brady threw 4 TD passes. On every single one of them, the pass either whizzed past Whitner's head, or Whitner was desperately running in trying to make the play but being a day late and a dollar short. You can go back and watch the highlights and #20 is on screen for every single Pats score, not doing his job.

That would be my big criticism of Whitner. He doesn't have great awareness in the passing game and doesn't make a lot of plays on the ball. He doesn't have great "ball skills" as they say.

However, from what I have seen of him he is a pretty good tackler. He does a pretty good job against the run, and with the Bills he is called upon to do it far too much.

I mean, in that Pats-Bills game Brandon Meriweather was the worst S on either team. He had a dreadful game. On that Spiller TD, he took one of the worst angles I have ever seen a S take, on a play that was pretty well defended and should not have gone for a TD. Instead, Meriweather goes inside (I can't for the life of me figure out why) and Spiller walks in the endzone.

However, Meriweather bounced back after that and played much better last week. He still makes mistakes. All players do that, especially when playing in a defense with a lot of new players. Both the Bills and Pats are in that situation, and it shows.

Whitner should not have gone #8, but he is a better player than you give him credit for. Put him on the Ravens and I bet he would be a lot better looking player.

Mahdi
10-08-2010, 08:42 AM
And how long was Brady sitting in the pocket untouched for?

chernobylwraiths
10-08-2010, 09:02 AM

Not everybody slows down considerably. And it is usually the really good athletes that take care of themselves that are still productive as they get older. That is why the fact that he is a HOF caliber player has a bearing on it.

OpIv37
10-08-2010, 09:08 AM
That would be my big criticism of Whitner. He doesn't have great awareness in the passing game and doesn't make a lot of plays on the ball. He doesn't have great "ball skills" as they say.

However, from what I have seen of him he is a pretty good tackler. He does a pretty good job against the run, and with the Bills he is called upon to do it far too much.

I mean, in that Pats-Bills game Brandon Meriweather was the worst S on either team. He had a dreadful game. On that Spiller TD, he took one of the worst angles I have ever seen a S take, on a play that was pretty well defended and should not have gone for a TD. Instead, Meriweather goes inside (I can't for the life of me figure out why) and Spiller walks in the endzone.

However, Meriweather bounced back after that and played much better last week. He still makes mistakes. All players do that, especially when playing in a defense with a lot of new players. Both the Bills and Pats are in that situation, and it shows.

Whitner should not have gone #8, but he is a better player than you give him credit for. Put him on the Ravens and I bet he would be a lot better looking player.

While I agree with most of your post, I take a huge exception to the last part. I hate that logic because it could be used with ANY player. Put Poz on the Ravens with 6 of their front 7 around him and he'll look like a better player. Put Merriweather on the Ravens and let him make plays behind their front 7- he'll look better. Put Lee Evans on the Colts and he'll probably catch 10 TD's. We could go on all day with this.

Ickybaluky
10-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Bottom line is, people are upset the Bills aren't any good and that colors their opinion of Whitner. Whitner isn't going to be going to a Pro Bowl anytime soon, but he isn't as bad as people make him out to be.

Even the twitter thing is silly. Lots of players say stupid things on twitter. Chad Ochocinco has made it a part-time job. Darnell Dockett says dumb stuff all the time and put a video of himself showing on the internet. If they got rid of every player who said a dumb thing on twitter half the league would be gone.

Whitner will never live up to that #8 draft slot, but he is hardly the Bills worst player. He didn't have the advantage of a stable situation or strong veteran leadership early in his career, and that hasn't helped. I wonder if he had been drafted by the Ravens what he would be like now.

Ickybaluky
10-08-2010, 09:12 AM
While I agree with most of your post, I take a huge exception to the last part. I hate that logic because it could be used with ANY player. Put Poz on the Ravens with 6 of their front 7 around him and he'll look like a better player. Put Merriweather on the Ravens and let him make plays behind their front 7- he'll look better. Put Lee Evans on the Colts and he'll probably catch 10 TD's. We could go on all day with this.

I don't think you could say that about any player. Chris Kelsay would be Chris Kelsay on the Ravens. Fitzpatrick would still be a backup QB. Whitner, I would guess, would be a better player because he has more talent than those guys.

OpIv37
10-08-2010, 09:17 AM
If you put Kelsay on a 4-3 team to play DE- say, the Vikings, next to the Williams brothers and Jared Allen, he'd look a lot better.

Mahdi
10-08-2010, 09:21 AM
If you put Kelsay on a 4-3 team to play DE- say, the Vikings, next to the Williams brothers and Jared Allen, he'd look a lot better.
No he wouldn't. He has no pass rush moves. Always just a stalemate with the OT. No dip, no shimmy, no inside move.

Kelsay would be Kelsay anywhere.

chernobylwraiths
10-08-2010, 09:38 AM

Why do people come up with stupid analogies like this?

I'm saying some people keep their speed pretty well. Carl Lewis was a world class sprinter much older than others as was Edwin Moses. Look at Dana Torres. I guess I would feel ashamed if I were in my prime and 20s if a 40 year old woman could beat me.

I'm just saying that for special athletes, it isn't ALWAYS the case with age slowing them down that much.

CuseJetsFan83
10-08-2010, 09:48 AM
darrell green.... he was what... 40 years old and still outrunning WR's half his age lol

DynaPaul
10-08-2010, 11:21 AM
"Thank God for another day...practice, chiropractor, massage, Day Spa...have a great day"

Must be nice. Sounds more like he's going on vacation than going to work.