PDA

View Full Version : Steve Johnson

Mahdi
10-10-2010, 02:56 PM
At least he worked out like many on this board thought he would. He has playmaker ability and is a Redzone threat we haven't had in a long time.

Once he gets a good QB he can really thrive.

useab
10-10-2010, 03:12 PM
hahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahhahhahhahhahhahahhahhahah there is no way you can call him a play maker

Mr. Pink
10-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Stevie Johnson is the king of garbage time TDs!

wmoz11
10-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Garbage time TDs and receptions. He's pretty worthless when the game matters.

Buffalo Thriller
10-10-2010, 03:16 PM

How so? Look who is throwing to him....

Mahdi
10-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Stevie Johnson is the king of garbage time TDs!
His first Td was in garbage time? And I'm pretty sure it was a two score game when he scored his second so no defense is going to just let him score.

Watch the player, not the circumstances. He has playmaking skills, he catches the ball outside his bodyframe very well and is a very good route runner. Plus he has good RaC abilities.

tampabay25690
10-10-2010, 03:51 PM
You have got to be kidding me?????????
Stevie J is OK but not the best on this team at all....
He is a P**** in the mid field and always dives down so he doesnt get hit..
When Bills game sare you watching, or is it on your XBOX that he puts up huge numbers??

Mr. Pink
10-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Less than a month ago you were singing how Lee Evans was so great and would be an outright star with a better QB.

Now Steve Johnson is the teams best WR?

Your evaluation of players is utterly wrong and downright comical at times.

Mahdi
10-10-2010, 03:55 PM
You have got to be kidding me?????????
Stevie J is OK but not the best on this team at all....
He is a P**** in the mid field and always dives down so he doesnt get hit..
When Bills game sare you watching, or is it on your XBOX that he puts up huge numbers??
It's called evaluating players. Watching them and observing their skill set. Buffalo sucks that doesn't mean every player sucks.

Johnson has skills and his role will increase as the season goes on.

He is definitely a playmaker and is good in the redzone. You're just blinded by how bad the Bills are and can't evaluate each player on his own merit and own abilities.

Spiderweb
10-10-2010, 03:56 PM

That's pretty much what I was thinking during and after the game.

If we have a young receiver who deserves more snaps, it's David Nelson.

Thurmal
He's caught TDs in three straight games, all in garbage time, after doing NOTHING the entire game. Great. None of them mattered whatsoever. Call him a playmaker when he actually makes a meaningful catch.

RoscoeMagic
Evans is better. But I like Johnson. It seems the only thing Gailey can do is get the most out of our WRs. Parrish is having his best season as well.

Mahdi
10-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Less than a month ago you were singing how Lee Evans was so great and would be an outright star with a better QB.

Your evaluation of players is utterly wrong and downright comical at times.
I doubt I have ever been that high on Evans. It was me that suggested a few days ago that he should be traded.

I think Evans is a very good player but I like Johnson's all around game more. And when I say Johnson is the best WR on the Bills I mean his skill set is the best.

RoscoeMagic
10-10-2010, 03:59 PM
I doubt I have ever been that high on Evans. It was me that suggested a few days ago that he should be traded.

I think Evans is a very good player but I like Johnson's all around game more. And when I say Johnson is the best WR on the Bills I mean his skill set is the best.

He still looks a little raw to me. Hopefully he takes step forward this year and can turn into a viable #2 WR in the future. I think he can. Nice find in the 7th round for sure.

we are
10-10-2010, 04:00 PM
He's caught TDs in three straight games, all in garbage time, after doing NOTHING the entire game. Great. None of them mattered whatsoever. Call him a playmaker when he actually makes a meaningful catch.

seriously a TD that ties the game doesnt matter?

Mahdi
10-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Pretty sure the ball needs to be thrown to him for him to catch it. Steve does well with the targets he gets.

Mahdi
10-10-2010, 04:01 PM
He still looks a little raw to me. Hopefully he takes step forward this year and can turn into a viable #2 WR in the future. I think he can. Nice find in the 7th round for sure.
Yeah. That's the best part, he is still raw and he is getting better every week. People forget he was barely used last year.

TrEd FTW
10-10-2010, 04:01 PM

Well, Johnson does have four TDs in five games - which puts him on pace for about 12 over a full season. The OP didn't imagine him scoring those; they happened in real life, not a video game.

Mahdi
10-10-2010, 04:02 PM
seriously a TD that ties the game doesnt matter?
Apparently one handed catches with a defender draped all over you in the corner of the endzone that ties the game doesn't matter.

Also on one of the best CBs in the league. Mathis.

Oaf
10-10-2010, 04:11 PM
He's got a knack for the redzone. I'll give you that. But a quality #2 WR? He's got a lot of work to do.

Bangarang
10-10-2010, 04:16 PM
I honestly don't understand the mentality that some people have on here. Yes, the Bills are a horrid team. But the attitude around here is about as putrid as the team. We have some young talent that appear to be getting better slowly but surely and yet people still want to belittle them the first chance they get. The way some of you act it would seem like you are the ones writing the checks for these players.

Why can't it be nice to have some good young players that are getting the experience now so they can contribute once we are no longer the laughing stock of the league?

RoscoeMagic
10-10-2010, 04:16 PM
He's got a knack for the redzone. I'll give you that. But a quality #2 WR? He's got a lot of work to do.

My man, Josh Reed's been our number 2 for a number of seasons and he's only had 2 TDs since the start of the 2007 season. Not to mention his career high in TDs is 2 for a full season. Steve Johnson has 4 in 5 games this year.

Mr. Pink
10-10-2010, 04:19 PM
I honestly don't understand the mentality that some people have on here. Yes, the Bills are a horrid team. But the attitude around here is about as putrid as the team. We have some young talent that appear to be getting better slowly but surely and yet people still want to belittle them the first chance they get. They way some of you act it would seem like you are the ones writing the checks for these players.

This team has had for about the past 4-5 years talent equivalent to that of an expansion franchise.

There is very very little talent on this team.

We had a coach who overachieved with the limited talent he had, was lambasted by fans, there was a celebration when he was ousted. And Gailey, addition by subtraction, was gonna get this team to 9 wins.

Now, people are realizing how untalented this team really is and unfortunately we now have a guy at HC who might do well coaching Williamsville North High School, but I wouldn't hold me breath on that one.

Thurmal
10-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Roscoe has been our best WR, hands down.

Michael82
10-10-2010, 06:29 PM
:laughing: Wow! Now I've heard it all. Steve Johnson is the king of garbage time touchdowns, that's it. He's not a great WR. And definitely NOT a playmaker!!!

tampabay25690
10-10-2010, 08:15 PM
It's called evaluating players. Watching them and observing their skill set. Buffalo sucks that doesn't mean every player sucks.

Johnson has skills and his role will increase as the season goes on.

He is definitely a playmaker and is good in the redzone. You're just blinded by how bad the Bills are and can't evaluate each player on his own merit and own abilities.

OK you are right............LOL
To say he is the best WR is a joke, yes he has talent but needs to learn a bit more.....

malo
10-10-2010, 08:39 PM
I honestly don't understand the mentality that some people have on here. Yes, the Bills are a horrid team. But the attitude around here is about as putrid as the team. We have some young talent that appear to be getting better slowly but surely and yet people still want to belittle them the first chance they get. The way some of you act it would seem like you are the ones writing the checks for these players.

Why can't it be nice to have some good young players that are getting the experience now so they can contribute once we are no longer the laughing stock of the league?

the is the gd attitude that led to this mess. the team sucks top to bottom. steve johnson wouldn't make the practice squad on most teams.

YardRat
10-10-2010, 09:00 PM
I'd rather see Nelson as #2...Johnson appears to be too much of a non-factor for the most part of games, and that's not good if the defense is supposedly rolling their coverage to take Evans out of the equation.

Maybe he does have a nose for the end zone...then bring him in for the red zone packages, and put somebody else in that can be a factor in sustaining drives, moving the chains, etc.

Oaf
10-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Nelson seems to be the clutch target of the group. On the 3rd and 7's, he's the guy Fitz's trying to gun it to. He's got sticky hands, I like it. Parrish has been a WR too this year, it's fun watching the guy.

BertSquirtgum
10-11-2010, 12:39 AM
anyone who thinks steve johnson isn't a good wide receiver should consider ending it all.

Thief
10-11-2010, 06:02 AM

Your evaluation of players is utterly wrong and downright comical at times.Well, it seems the guy you thought was the best last year couldn't make it on any other team. What is Josh Reed doing now a days?

Johnny Bugmenot
10-11-2010, 06:24 AM
I honestly thought this was sarcasm. Now I'm not so sure whether to laugh or to cry.

Jan Reimers
10-11-2010, 06:54 AM
As with most extremes, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Stevie Johnson is not our best receiver, but he is not simply a garbage time guy, either. He is a developing young guy who is really good in the red zone, which we desperately need.

Stevie's development, along with the improved play of Parrish and the promising play of Nelson - combined with our best receiver, Lee Evans - gives us a pretty fair WR corps.

TedMock
10-11-2010, 07:39 AM
He needs to stop dropping passes every week. He has the body and does seem to find the endzone, but the drops are weekly and unacceptable. He's just not a number two WR at this point. He may improve with more pt, and I hope he does, but right now the goods and bads are cancelling out.

DraftBoy
10-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Johnson doesn't work back to the QB at all, does not adapt his route to the coverage and really runs basic routes.

Now he does run the routes well, is able to find soft spots and displays soft hands, however he has playmaker syndrome.

He focuses too much on making the tough catch, that the easy one on 3rd and 7 (just an hypothetical) that he drops and kills a drive, are mind numbingly frustrating. He doesnt have the speed to stretch a D or the size to ever be a dominant WR.

He will probably be best used out of the slot so he can avoid the jam because he's not nearly physical or big enough off the line to not be re-directed.

Mahdi
10-11-2010, 09:46 AM
I think I mislead with my thread title. Johnson as the best WR on the roster is premature.

I think a statement that makes more sense is that I think his skill set is the best on the roster.

He is still growing as a WR and has a lot to improve on. I don't agree that the drop was his fault yesterday. It was a slant and the ball was thrown behind him. It was a short throw and it's not easy to adjust that quickly.

starrymessenger
10-11-2010, 10:11 AM
I think I mislead with my thread title. Johnson as the best WR on the roster is premature.

I think a statement that makes more sense is that I think his skill set is the best on the roster.

He is still growing as a WR and has a lot to improve on. I don't agree that the drop was his fault yesterday. It was a slant and the ball was thrown behind him. It was a short throw and it's not easy to adjust that quickly.The ball wasn't perfectly placed and had some pace on it. Still any self respecting #2 NFL receiver makes that play 8 out of 10 times. He has dropped a number of balls that have hit him in the hands. Better receivers can do the same (like TO) but then they compensate with skills SJ does not (yet) possess, or else they sit down.

DrGraves
10-11-2010, 11:29 AM
steve johnson is a huge PUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSYYYYYYYYYYY! he drops everything in traffice because he is afraid of getting hit. Cut his ass. He is not the type of player i want on my team

Mahdi
10-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Anyone care to revise their statements?

useab
10-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Mahdi i apologize for laughing at this thread 2 weeks ago. You were right. This guy can flat out play. I am 100% on the Steve Johnson band wagon

Michael82
10-24-2010, 03:52 PM
:laughing: Wow! Now I've heard it all. Steve Johnson is the king of garbage time touchdowns, that's it. He's not a great WR. And definitely NOT a playmaker!!!
I'll take my crow with extra hot sauce... :hungry:

wmoz11
10-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I stand corrected. At least for this week. Hopefully he plays like this every week.

hydro
10-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I stand corrected. At least for this week. Hopefully he plays like this every week.

This isn't the first week he has played well...

Bangarang
10-24-2010, 03:56 PM
For a 7th rounder, this kid is getting and better and looks like he can really help us down the line.

Novacane
10-24-2010, 04:32 PM
He had a great game. That's a grand total now of 1 great game. Let's not get ahead ourselves here. I hope he keeps improving.