PDA

View Full Version : Bills didn't shop Lynch enough

wmoz11
10-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Per Jay Glazer of FOX, multiple teams said that they would have been interested in Lynch -- and would have given up more than the Seahawks gave up for Lynch -- if the Bills had called. But they didn't call.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/10/bills-didnt-extensively-shop-lynch/

Uh, why?

TacklingDummy
10-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Shouldn't it been the other teams job to call?

How are the Bills suppose to know that xxx team is interested in Lynch?

Bufftp
10-10-2010, 03:07 PM
that's a bs report. If they weren't willing to pick up the phone they weren't interested.

kingJofNYC
10-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Yeah, why weren't they calling if they had interest? It was the worst kept secret in the NFL that the Bills were trying to move Lynch, I don't care what the FO said in the past.

wmoz11
10-10-2010, 03:08 PM
I know who needs a running back in the NFL. I would hope the Bills know, too. I just don't understand trading one of the only assets of value without making every team aware. What was the rush?

Mad Max
10-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Shouldn't it been the other teams job to call?

There's a basic tool used in sales. It's called "prospecting". When you're selling something and you don't have people walking through your doors to buy whatever it is you're selling, you pick up the damn phone. It costs you nothing and can land you a sale..or a better draft pick.

I believe this story FULLY.

Novacane
10-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Glazer and Florio seem to have a hard on against the Bills. Trust me, the last thing I want to do is defend the Bills. They are an inept joke and deserve ridicule. Still, I don't believe that report. If a team wanted Lynch they would have called.

Buddo
10-10-2010, 03:13 PM
I know who needs a running back in the NFL. I would hope the Bills know, too. I just don't understand trading one of the only assets of value without making every team aware. What was the rush?

They got an acceptable offer?
Green Bay were pretty strongly rumoured to be interested as well, but it's also been said they wouldn't offer as much as Seattle did.
As to other teams, they have 'phones too. Teams the Bills call, are going to think they can get Lynch for peanuts. Supposedly the Eagles got called, but who knows.
At the end of the day, all these 'other teams' had an obvious opportunity, that they didn't make a move on.
They want to ***** and moan about it now, seems like they are trying to cover up their own mistake in not picking up the 'phone.

wmoz11
10-10-2010, 03:15 PM
How can an offer be acceptable if you don't know what else is out there? If a team would have given up a 3rd, a 4th isn't an acceptable offer. There's only 31 other teams. Call them all to make sure you have the best offer. Plus, you can play the offer from Seattle against other teams.

RoscoeMagic
10-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Yet I get bashed when I suggested this.

Buddo
10-10-2010, 03:44 PM
How can an offer be acceptable if you don't know what else is out there? If a team would have given up a 3rd, a 4th isn't an acceptable offer. There's only 31 other teams. Call them all to make sure you have the best offer. Plus, you can play the offer from Seattle against other teams.

There's also only so many other teams who could be possibly interested. At least two of those, the Pack and Eagles, either weren't that interested, or weren't prepared to match what Seattle were offering.
All those 'other teams' are either trying to make mischief, or are simply covering up their own inadequacies in not picking up the 'phone. It's no great surprise that they don't wish to be 'named'.

Buddo
10-10-2010, 03:46 PM
In addition, as someone else pointed out, it had been let known at least a week before the trade was done, that the Bills were prepared to 'listen' if teams came calling.

poreef
10-10-2010, 06:01 PM
NFL trades are always a joke. Randy Moss for a 3rd rounder.

RANDY MOSS FOR A 3RD :madcurse: :madcurse: ROUNDER!

It's because the contracts are so heavily in favor of the owners. Most contracts are not guaranteed, which doesn't make them much of a contract in how we typically understand the term.

When a player is being shopped the other team knows that there is no financial cost to just dumping a guy. So they don't have to make much of an offer. The guy might be on the streets next week. See Trent Edwards.

Or, in a few months, look at Willis McGahee and how back-ended his contract is. There's no way Baltimore will bother paying $6mil next year.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=2265

PromoTheRobot
10-12-2010, 12:36 PM
The Packers, Chargers, Patriots, Rams, Broncos, Eagles, and Seahawks were all rumoured to be interested in Lynch. Is 7 teams "contacting nobody???"

PTR

better days
10-12-2010, 12:54 PM
There's a basic tool used in sales. It's called "prospecting". When you're selling something and you don't have people walking through your doors to buy whatever it is you're selling, you pick up the damn phone. It costs you nothing and can land you a sale..or a better draft pick.

I believe this story FULLY.

It could well be true. Why for example would Nix call the Pats*? Much better to ship him to Seattle than face him twice a year on the Pats*

justasportsfan
10-12-2010, 01:13 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/10/bills-didnt-extensively-shop-lynch/

Uh, why?

PFT is short for pfffffft.

Historian
10-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Can't sell if nobody's buying....

Jan Reimers
10-12-2010, 04:21 PM
For cripes sake, everyone that follows the NFL even casually knew for weeks - perhaps months - that Lynch was on the block. Any team even remotely interested would have called.

You can blame our FO for a multitude of crap, but not this ridiculous Glazer theory.

wmoz11
10-12-2010, 04:47 PM
It's up to the Bills to do their due dilligence - not to assume that other teams would call if interested. You know what teams show by calling? Weakness and desperation. That increases value. That's why they didn't call.

imbondz
10-12-2010, 05:22 PM
even if it's true, it's pretty easy for teams to say they would have given up more, after they saw Seattle got him.

justasportsfan
10-12-2010, 05:57 PM
and the patriots could have gotten more than a 3rd for Moss if they shopped him. pffffft!

Yasgur's Farm
10-12-2010, 06:02 PM
For cripes sake, everyone that follows the NFL even casually knew for weeks - perhaps months - that Lynch was on the block. Any team even remotely interested would have called.

You can blame our FO for a multitude of crap, but not this ridiculous Glazer theory.Absolutely... But some on this board feel that the pretense of protecting sources is a good excuse for shunning integrity. :crazy:

That makes it far to convenient to insinuate a situation that gets you more read time.

ChristopherWalken
10-13-2010, 06:30 AM
Lynch was technically on the block as soon as the Bills drafted CJ Spiller. This article is rubbish

airdog32
10-13-2010, 06:56 AM

It's because the contracts are so heavily in favor of the owners. Most contracts are not guaranteed, which doesn't make them much of a contract in how we typically understand the term.

When a player is being shopped the other team knows that there is no financial cost to just dumping a guy. So they don't have to make much of an offer. The guy might be on the streets next week. See Trent Edwards.

Or, in a few months, look at Willis McGahee and how back-ended his contract is. There's no way Baltimore will bother paying $6mil next year.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=2265And is response the Pats gave a 4th to SEA for Branch in essence they got Lynch for free and dumped a huge contract on a has been reciever, you tellin me that Branch is just as good as Moss to get a 4th for him makes no sense!

don137
10-13-2010, 07:06 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=2265

Totally disagree. Go see what the signing bonus these players like McGahee and Moss got upfront. The owners shelled out a lot of money just to sign these players initially.

psubills62
10-13-2010, 08:38 AM
It's up to the Bills to do their due dilligence - not to assume that other teams would call if interested. You know what teams show by calling? Weakness and desperation. That increases value. That's why they didn't call.

You could say the exact same thing about the Bills calling other teams. In fact, I think it applies more. If other teams call the Bills, they could easily maintain a position of strength by simply saying they're only interested for the right price. If the Bills call other teams, then it's obvious the Bills want to dump him off, so other teams can simply wait for the price to come down.

Wasn't there a report before about the Bills contacting the Eagles? Glazer is one of the best in the business, but I think the Bills are right in this one.

Mike
10-13-2010, 11:04 AM

How hard is it to make 31 calls? Just 31?

better days
10-13-2010, 12:17 PM
How hard is it to make 31 calls? Just 31?

As has been said before, if a team is interested, they will make the call. I sure there are teams the Bills did not want to trade Lynch to, such as the Pats* even if they could have gotten a little more for him.

It was a good move to trade him to Seattle where they won't have to play him.

wmoz11
10-13-2010, 01:09 PM
As has been said before, if a team is interested, they will make the call. I sure there are teams the Bills did not want to trade Lynch to, such as the Pats* even if they could have gotten a little more for him.

It was a good move to trade him to Seattle where they won't have to play him.

Clearly they didn't. Glazer has said that other teams were interested and would have given us more. Unless of course you think Glazer is making this entire thing up for the crazy media attention it is sure to attract.

wmoz11
10-13-2010, 01:10 PM
You could say the exact same thing about the Bills calling other teams. In fact, I think it applies more. If other teams call the Bills, they could easily maintain a position of strength by simply saying they're only interested for the right price. If the Bills call other teams, then it's obvious the Bills want to dump him off, so other teams can simply wait for the price to come down.

Wasn't there a report before about the Bills contacting the Eagles? Glazer is one of the best in the business, but I think the Bills are right in this one.

The Bills would only make the calls after they have received the offer. Nix says - "hey, I got a 4th from the 'hawks and a conditional... we're going to move the player unless you will offer more."

Not that difficult.

better days
10-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Clearly they didn't. Glazer has said that other teams were interested and would have given us more. Unless of course you think Glazer is making this entire thing up for the crazy media attention it is sure to attract.

Well Glazer may have been talking about the Pats*. It would make no sense to trade Lynch to the Pats* or any other AFC team for that matter, hence no phone call.

Again if an NFC team would have given up more than a 4th & really wanted Lynch why did they not call? It was well known the Bills would trade Lynch for the RIGHT offer. Well it looks like the offer they got from Seattle was the best from an NFC team.

trapezeus
10-13-2010, 03:04 PM
i think seattle's on the fast track to suckville. They are the 97 bills. Still close enough to their superbowl run where they think they are just a piece away from glory, but old enough to know they need a full rebuild.

i'm convinced that pete carroll sucks as an NFL coach. i think the bills will have a highpick with what they got. I just hope marshawn runs well for them so that our conditional pick moves up.

Did you really want to trade to the packers to get a higher 4th?

i don't doubt the bills are that inept at doing stuff, but i also doubt real buyers of lynch would have relied on the bills to contact them first. When dealing with crappy organizations, you must stay proactive.

wmoz11
10-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Well Glazer may have been talking about the Pats*. It would make no sense to trade Lynch to the Pats* or any other AFC team for that matter, hence no phone call.

Again if an NFC team would have given up more than a 4th & really wanted Lynch why did they not call? It was well known the Bills would trade Lynch for the RIGHT offer. Well it looks like the offer they got from Seattle was the best from an NFC team.

Because all the reports out there (Schefter) said that it would take a lot to get Lynch and the Bills weren't budging. They had no idea that the Bills were about to accept a 4th round pick.

Jan Reimers
10-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Because all the reports out there (Schefter) said that it would take a lot to get Lynch and the Bills weren't budging. They had no idea that the Bills were about to accept a 4th round pick.
I doubt very much if NFL GMs get their info from Schefter or similar sources.

RoscoeMagic
10-13-2010, 04:33 PM
I doubt very much if NFL GMs get their info from Schefter or similar sources.

NFL GMs/scouts/front office personnel/assistant coaches/what have you give Schefter his info, not the other way around. Schefter only knows what the organizations want to tell him to go public. I'm sure he has relationships and knows a lot of info under the table that stays there too, but he's not stupid enough to put his career in jeopardy by releasing confidential information to either the public or other organizations.

Yasgur's Farm
10-13-2010, 06:23 PM
How credible is a person who leaks information anonomously, or against team policy?

Isn't it a possibility that said "NFL GMs/scouts/front office personnel/assistant coaches/what have you" might have an agenda that would benefit their team if this "information" got leaked?

Why should an un-named source be given more credibility than a front and center straight shooter?

Isn't it possible that the "reporter" might just be omitting a few other important bits of information in order to grab attention for himself?

Should I be looking up certain board members previous posts in order to discover what their previous stance was regarding the subject of Marshawn Lynch?

I know these questions come from one who "obviously knows nothing" about how sports work these days... But try to humor me.

RoscoeMagic
10-13-2010, 06:31 PM
How credible is a person who leaks information anonomously, or against team policy? Not credible at all. Who does this and how do you know?

Isn't it a possibility that said "NFL GMs/scouts/front office personnel/assistant coaches/what have you" might have an agenda that would benefit their team if this "information" got leaked? Absolutely. 100%

Why should an un-named source be given more credibility than a front and center straight shooter? You lost me. Whose the front and center straight shooter? Certainly not Nix.

Isn't it possible that the "reporter" might just be omitting a few other important bits of information in order to grab attention for himself? Meh. Unlikely. If it's what the team wants him to release, he'll do it to get future "breaking news" if you will, in the future.

Should I be looking up certain board members previous posts in order to discover what their previous stance was regarding the subject of Marshawn Lynch? If it floats your boat.

I know these questions come from one who "obviously knows nothing" about how sports work these days... But try to humor me. I will try to humor you. A man walks into a bar and says "ouch." That's all I got right now.

psubills62
10-13-2010, 10:18 PM
The Bills would only make the calls after they have received the offer. Nix says - "hey, I got a 4th from the 'hawks and a conditional... we're going to move the player unless you will offer more."

Not that difficult.

Maybe...I still don't believe the Bills are at fault on this one. If another team is interested in Lynch, why wouldn't they call? They only have to make one call, whereas Buffalo would have to make 31. Neither are very hard, but the former is obviously the easier one.

I just have to chuckle because if the situation were the exact opposite, people would still be blaming the Bills.

For example, let's take Jammal Brown's trade to the Redskins. Depending on how McNabb does, the Saints either get a 3rd round pick or a 4th round pick from Washington.

Let's say that a report came out a couple days after the trade that said the Bills were willing to give up a 2nd round pick for Brown, but were waiting for New Orleans to call them. How stupid does that sound? If they're willing to trade for him, why wouldn't they call New Orleans?

I have zero doubts that in that situation, everyone would blame Buffalo for not calling New Orleans. Same thing in this situation - I think the teams who were "waiting for Buffalo to call" are at fault.