• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    • Jan 2009

What happened to....

What happened to some of you???

When Gaily was hired many on this Board hated the move, while others Trusted in OBD and argued addition through subtraction....

SO what happened to addition by subtraction?

1) Many Blamed DJ for the Bills sucking and argued that the Roster was Ok

2) The Same people argued that Chan the man would make better use of the talent we have, develop them more, and play to their strengths.

3) Now Gaily comes in and has a very bad beginning and the same people are arguing that the roster sucks....

So what happened? Its pretty much the same roster, and it appears that DJ got way more out of them for whatever reason (coaching, play calling, playing to their strengths, etc...Things Chan was suppose to improve)

Bottom line is that neither DJ or Chan appear to be good head coaches in the NFL but any competent football fan could have told you that before they were even hired...

The only reason why I bring any of this up is because it seems to me that we have some delusional homers.
    Please Make Sense
  • Mike
    • Jan 2009

Re: What happened to....

What do you think? Do you see the contradictions?
    Please Make Sense

Comment

• G Wolly
      • Mar 2004

1) New coach. New gameplans, strategies, method of conducting plays.

2) Switching the defense to 3-4.

3) It takes time.

And Gailey's press conferences are worth listening to. He doesn't dig to find positives and revert to the traditional "we gotta work on it" like DJ, he says what he has to say.
      Last edited by G Wolly; 10-11-2010, 02:03 AM.

Comment

• Mike
        • Jan 2009

3) It takes time.
        Moreover, it seems like the schemes do not fit the personnel. Switching to a 3-4 when you have a 4-3 personnel was a very stupid thing to do. Many on this board pointed it out before the season started as a reason why things will not work out. Then others argued that "you never know how things work out, it can work out right away, we believe in Chan" etc....

Lastly about Time:
        If you gave them all the time in the world they might still not get it right. Time is no guarantee. Furthermore, other regimes, competent ones have done 4-3 to 3-4 switches in 1 off-season with a team as bad as ours taking them from doormats to division champ. Do you remember who that was?
        Please Make Sense

Comment

• G Wolly
          • Mar 2004

I agree time is no guarantee.

But 5 weeks is also not a fair window of time to judge a coach, especially with this team.

P.S. A DJ team never put up more than 24 points on the Patriots.
          Last edited by G Wolly; 10-11-2010, 02:13 AM.

Comment

• Mike
            • Jan 2009

Do you know what teams have made wholesale changes in 1 off-season to win division following year? Its been done before, many times, worst to first, but there was always competence at the top and in each of those cases things improved dramatically right away, not 5yrs into some imaginary future, but right away there was improvement.

Can you name any of those teams?
            Please Make Sense

Comment

• G Wolly
              • Mar 2004

Okay. It has happened before.

That doesn't mean it always has to happen for every team getting a new coach.

Comment

• Mike
                • Jan 2009

Okay. It has happened before.

That doesn't mean it always has to happen for every team getting a new coach.
                Ok, so then you agree that time is not necessary. If it has been done before than it can be done again, so time is not a Must.
                Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mike
                  • Jan 2009

I would argue that every team that got a new coach that went on to win a SB or create a very competitive team, showed improvement in their first year.
                  Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mike
                    • Jan 2009

Here are a few examples:

2010: Saints : when Sean Payton arrived in NO it was a mess, he quickly improved that team addition Brees.
                    Colts: Rookie head coach took them to SB after starting 13-0
                    2009: Steelers: Rookie Head Coach took them to SB in 2nd year and won
                    Cards: Rookie HC took them to SB in 2nd yr. Instant improvement
                    2008: NY Giants: Tom Coughlin won SB in 4yrs. In 04 drafted Eli and quickly improved.
                    Pats: Bill Belichick won SB in 2nd season with Pats beating Rams
                    Rams: won SB 2001 with greates show on turf. they were laughing stock of league before that...

I think I have made my point. There is usually instant improvement, oppose to regression, and a SB comes quickly even for teams who previously had no talent ( see: Rams, Cards, Pats, Giants, etc...)
                    Please Make Sense

Comment

• Ingtar33
                      Dances With Buffaloes
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by G Wolly

3) It takes time.

And Gailey's press conferences are worth listening to. He doesn't dig to find positives and revert to the traditional "we gotta work on it" like DJ, he says what he has to say.

no, he just bashes his players... and blames them for the team sucking.

I've heard his pressers... if i was playing for him I'd throw in the towel. Who would play for a coach who says you all suck and aren't executing his plan? The fans might love hearing that but i assure you the players don't

It's just a good way to piss off the team.
                      Last edited by Ingtar33; 10-11-2010, 03:04 AM.
                      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Novacane
                        • Jul 2002

I hated the move when they hired him. I hate it even more now. He will never be a winner in Buffalo. I don't buy all this give him time bull****. He is what he is. Some of you need to watch this crap for another couple years to figure out what a lot of us already know. Gailey is going to be another on the list of Bills HC disasters!
                        Last edited by Novacane; 10-11-2010, 04:08 AM.

Comment

• Historian
                          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                          • Dec 2002

He's riding on the Harvey Johnson Highway.

I thought that line was brilliant when I read that yesterday!

Comment

• CoolBreeze
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Mike
                            Here are a few examples:

2010: Saints : when Sean Payton arrived in NO it was a mess, he quickly improved that team addition Brees.
                            Colts: Rookie head coach took them to SB after starting 13-0
                            2009: Steelers: Rookie Head Coach took them to SB in 2nd year and won
                            Cards: Rookie HC took them to SB in 2nd yr. Instant improvement
                            2008: NY Giants: Tom Coughlin won SB in 4yrs. In 04 drafted Eli and quickly improved.
                            Pats: Bill Belichick won SB in 2nd season with Pats beating Rams
                            Rams: won SB 2001 with greates show on turf. they were laughing stock of league before that...

I think I have made my point. There is usually instant improvement, oppose to regression, and a SB comes quickly even for teams who previously had no talent ( see: Rams, Cards, Pats, Giants, etc...)
                            You made your point? While the Saints turned around and even Belichick turned arouned the Pats.. The rest of your examples were already SB caliber teams, except for the Cards who had multiple horrible teams with top 10 picks and were improving. Why don't you compare the Bills of 2010 to teams with multiple rookie head coaches and verteran coaches who never had success for long periods, like the Lions, Browns,Raiders, Chiefs? Or how about the 25 yrs of loosing from the Packers 1970-1995. It is all cyclical.. Every team has had a drought. The dynamics of the leauge has changed from Football to multi-billion mega business overnight.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                              Unreachable Douche
                              • Jul 2002

I said all along that when the Bills are 2-12 we will see what the opinions of Gailey are. Right now they are 0-5 on their way to who knows how bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X