PDA

View Full Version : 'Health scares' raise concerns for Razorbacks

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-16-2003, 01:16 PM
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Frank Broyles, Arkansas' athletic director for the last 30 years, has other job options at the university if he wants to take advantage of them, University of Arkansas Chancellor John White says.

White planned to sit down with the 78-year-old athletic director last week for an annual job performance review, but canceled the meeting when traveling kept him from completing his preparations for it, White said.

"When we have that discussion, I want to be able to talk about various options and to make sure that the message is conveyed to him that his situation is very secure but there are also lots of options for him,'' White told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. Those options would include finding a position somewhere else in the university while maintaining his compensation and benefits, White said.

White said no attempt has been made to force Broyles out, and Broyles said White has never indicated he wants Broyles to retire.

"Frankly, given some health scares recently (for Broyles), I realize that it's the responsible thing for me to have a plan in my mind in case something happens,'' White said.

"If it does, I need to be ready to move. So that's basically it. I was going to have my usual end-of-year meeting to talk about the previous year and the future.''

The meeting has not been rescheduled.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/s/2003/0615/1568498.html