PDA

View Full Version : Bad hit on Pommers

G Wolly
10-11-2010, 06:54 PM
I honestly don't care much for the guy, but you never wanna see that happen especially to your team.

It was kinda nice to see Connolly jump on hjalmarsson or whoever it was.

Pommers' has to have a nice concussion for sure, his head bounced off that glass hard.

P.S. Way to blow another 5 minute major.

MikeInRoch
10-11-2010, 07:00 PM
He's gonna be gone for quite a long time, I'm afraid.

helmetguy
10-11-2010, 07:03 PM
He's gonna be gone for quite a long time, I'm afraid.

Hjalmarsson should be gone as long as Pommer is out. Not like it'll help the Sabres at all, but it mught be the solution Robie was talking about at intermission.

don137
10-11-2010, 07:33 PM
That was a very dirty hit. Hitting someone from behind into the boards while the person is defenseless is about as bad as it gets. No place in hockey for those hits.

They said it was a concussion. Hopefully he will not be out too long.

hydro
10-11-2010, 07:43 PM
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/

Video above.

chernobylwraiths
10-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Hjalmarsson should be gone as long as Pommer is out. Not like it'll help the Sabres at all, but it mught be the solution Robie was talking about at intermission.

I think it is a stupid suggestion. NHL wants and easy way out and the only easy way out is to give major fines and long suspensions for these kinds of hits, EVEN IF THE GUY IS ALRIGHT.

chernobylwraiths
10-11-2010, 09:44 PM
That was a very dirty hit. Hitting someone from behind into the boards while the person is defenseless is about as bad as it gets. No place in hockey for those hits.

They said it was a concussion. Hopefully he will not be out too long.

I thought it was much more dirty until I saw it. It still was bad, but it isn't like he even tried to do any of the "dirty" stuff. I think it was a very hard check delivered too early and with the guy in a very vulnerable position.

One of the things I see that should be looked at is that a lot of guys are playing with their back to their opponent near the boards. Pomminville was skating backwards as the puck was coming to him. He shouldn't expect to be leveled, but he has to know someone will come at him from behind. Carl Palladino would be displeased.

G Wolly
10-11-2010, 11:15 PM
I agree that it wasn't necessarily "dirty" as much as it was bad timing.

Had he held up for one more second, it would've been clean.

Still scary when they have to call for the stretchers though.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-12-2010, 04:20 AM
I see a dirty hit, he hit Pommer in the numbers.

don137
10-12-2010, 06:36 AM
When you hit someone from behind before the puck is there into the boards making multiple strides to check him it is a dirty hit.

RockStar36
10-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Well if he doesn't get suspended, it's not like the Sabres don't play them again this week.

OpIv37
10-12-2010, 08:49 AM
I agree that it wasn't necessarily "dirty" as much as it was bad timing.

Had he held up for one more second, it would've been clean.

Still scary when they have to call for the stretchers though.

if you see numbers, it's a dirty hit, especially when you have several strides of momentum.

rbochan
10-12-2010, 09:08 AM
He won't be suspended, but Wisniewski will.

G Wolly
10-12-2010, 12:11 PM
It looks to me like he hit him from the side, since Pominville was against the boards looking for the puck.

But whatever.

RockStar36
10-12-2010, 02:07 PM
It looks to me like he hit him from the side, since Pominville was against the boards looking for the puck.

But whatever.

Pommers was a defenseless player and he took a run at him. Nothing clean about it.

G Wolly
10-12-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm not trying to defend Hjalmarsson.

IMO, he was going in for a hit and came in too soon.

And as far as I saw, he got him on the side.

Had he hit him from directly behind his head wouldn't have hit the glass.

JD
10-12-2010, 05:42 PM

It definitely wasn't from the side. He came in at him diagonally at around Pominvilles 4:30. The puck never even got to him and he gave a few strides before lowering the boom.

4-6 games if they want to make a statement but it will be 1-2 because its the NHL.

JD
10-12-2010, 05:46 PM

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g2kMj8WCXVQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g2kMj8WCXVQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

:rofl: 0:31-0:34...yeah, definitely "from his side" :rolleyes:

chernobylwraiths
10-12-2010, 09:19 PM
If that was a block in the NFL, it would be legal.

JD
10-12-2010, 09:25 PM
And if Pominville was in the NFL he wouldn't have ended up with a concussion/face laceration.

SabreEleven
10-12-2010, 10:32 PM
I feel bad for Jason but this can be blessing in disguise. Pominville is not skilled nor tough enough to be one of the best skilled players this team needs. Maybe somebody else will step up in his place and be that skilled player that this team needs.

SabreEleven
10-13-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks for proving my point, Lindy...The PP has sucked for years...

"He's always been involved as one of our key personnel," Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said Tuesday. "We had him penciled in to quarterback the power play and run the one unit.

CuseJetsFan83
10-13-2010, 01:25 AM
2 games for that, somehow is the same as wisniewski's outburst....... colin campbell you're a tard if you think that merits the same penalty

SkateZilla
10-13-2010, 09:31 AM

Its an Illegal block in the back, but its against buffalo, so its legal.

Dr. Lecter
10-13-2010, 09:33 AM

If it was MLB or NBA it would be illegal.

SkateZilla
10-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Only reason he got 2 games is because its in the rulebook.

5 Minute Major for Board + Game Misconduct = Automatic 1 Game suspension, unless reviewed and overturned.

So... he got what the rule book said + 1 game.... whoopity do.

Then Again, Bertuzzi is still playing what ever happened to Moore?

chernobylwraiths
10-13-2010, 10:13 AM
It wasn't in the back, he came at him from the back and hit him in the side.

rbochan
10-13-2010, 10:50 AM
It wasn't in the back, he came at him from the back and hit him in the side.

Methinks you need glasses. His shoulder is *squarely* between Pominville's numbers.

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/8347/hjalmarssonpominville.jpg

SkateZilla
10-13-2010, 11:01 AM
not to mention he did that li" "power up" move before throwing himself at poms.

chernobylwraiths
10-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Methinks you need glasses. His shoulder is *squarely* between Pominville's numbers.

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/8347/hjalmarssonpominville.jpg

Even in your picture you can clearly see the guy's left leg in front of Pomminville's leg and their hips are about right next to each other. Pomminville was skating backwards with his upper body bent forward.

G Wolly
10-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Even in your picture you can clearly see the guy's left leg in front of Pomminville's leg and their hips are about right next to each other. Pomminville was skating backwards with his upper body bent forward.

That's I'm saying.

If Pominville was hit from BEHIND, his head wouldn't have bounced off the glass, based on his position.

I'm not saying it wasn't a mean hit and should be excused, but he wasn't hit from BEHIND.

He was hit while he was defenseless.

chernobylwraiths
10-13-2010, 12:34 PM
That's I'm saying.

If Pominville was hit from BEHIND, his head wouldn't have bounced off the glass, based on his position.

I'm not saying it wasn't a mean hit and should be excused, but he wasn't hit from BEHIND.

He was hit while he was defenseless.

Does anybody actually think we have been justifying the hit? I hope not.

G Wolly
10-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Does anybody actually think we have been justifying the hit? I hope not.

Not sure.

Although I did say it wasn't dirty, just poor timing.

But I'd like to retract THAT.

Although it wasn't clean, it also wasn't from BEHIND.

rbochan
10-13-2010, 01:29 PM

The boarding rule has nothing to do with hits from behind or where the puck is. It's about overtly violent hits into the boards that cause injury.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26329

G Wolly
10-13-2010, 01:41 PM
The boarding rule has nothing to do with hits from behind or where the puck is. It's about overtly violent hits into the boards that cause injury.

Except people aren't using the term "boarding"

They're using "hit from behind"

that's where the argument comes in

SabreEleven
10-13-2010, 04:43 PM
The PTI guys seem to think that they'll be a blood bath on Saturday...they must have not watched too many Sabres games.

SkateZilla
10-13-2010, 04:59 PM

Thank You!

WE HAVE A WINNER!
:balloons: :balloons: :balloons: :balloons: :balloons: :balloons: :balloons:

SkateZilla
10-13-2010, 05:13 PM
So To Break this down for Everyone:

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a vulnerable position and if so, he must avoid the contact. However, there is also a responsibility on the player with the puck to avoid placing himself in a dangerous and vulnerable position. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

Any unnecessary contact with a player playing the puck on an obvious “icing” or “off-side” play which results in that player being knocked into the boards is “boarding” and must be penalized as such. In other instances where there is no contact with the boards, it should be treated as “charging.”

41.3 Major Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, to a player guilty of boarding an opponent (see 41.5).

41.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

41.6 Fines and Suspensions - Any player who incurs a total of two (2) game misconducts under Rule 41 and/or Rule 43, in either Regular season or Play-offs, shall be suspended automatically for the next game of his team. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game.
When a major penalty is imposed under this rule, an automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100) shall be imposed.
If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

Check- A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards.

Check - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, to a player guilty of boarding an opponent (see 41.5).

Check - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

Like I Said, West Coast teams have dealt with him before, this wasnt his first offense under Rules 41 or 43
Any player who incurs a total of two (2) game misconducts under Rule 41 and/or Rule 43, in either Regular season or Play-offs, shall be suspended automatically for the next game of his team. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game.

G Wolly
10-13-2010, 05:30 PM
So To Break this down for Everyone:

Cool. The internet is useful.

No one's questioning the call.

The argument is whether or not he was hit from behind.

Not if he was "boarded" or not.

chernobylwraiths
10-14-2010, 06:52 AM
I guess I missed the part where I said it was a totally clean hit and that he shouldn't be suspended.