PDA

View Full Version : Stokes signs for 805K

Turf
06-16-2003, 01:19 PM
Stokes signs with the Jags for 805K. Seems to me we could have afforded him. I think 805K for him is a good deal.
Anyone else think he could have been at least our 3rd WR for that kind of money?

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-16-2003, 01:25 PM
TD didn't want him. He chose Jett instead :angry:

SoCalBillsFan
06-16-2003, 03:01 PM
yeah, would have loved him for that price. I'm not as down on Jett as some are, but I think stokes would have been a good number 3. Hopefully Jett and Shaw contribute enough this year.

Throne Logic
06-16-2003, 03:14 PM
Stokes is not a speed receiver. We do not need another possession receiver, we've got lots of decent ones (some might even turn out to be really good). Jett offers speed to stretch out the D on 3, 4, and 5 WR sets. That's it. Drew might never through the ball to him, however, as an NFL receiver, someone will need to follow him down the field, thus opening up the middle ranges.

Stokes is just another Shaw with a more well-known name. The only reason everyone knows about JJ Stokes is because of where he played the beginning of his career. More specifically, because of who he was touted to replace. Stokes was supposed to be Jerry Rice's replacement. Unfortunately for the San Fran strategizers, Stokes never really panned out to be what they hoped. He had a couple of bright spots, but that's it. Why do you suppose he was a #3 last year and let go this year?

TD and Co. wanted someone who could run very fast. Jett is famous for his ability to do just that (if nothing else). They got exactly what they wanted. Cheap, experienced, still very fast, and hungry to play (even for vet. min.)

robeezy
06-16-2003, 06:31 PM
I agree Logic, we need SPEED! Not another possesion widout. Moulds is going to get shutdown this year with doubles and triples if we don't find a quality receiver core.

Doc
06-16-2003, 07:08 PM
Moulds will be lining up in the slot and going in motion a lot this year, so as to prevent defenses from keying in on him. That's what the 49'ers do with Owens, and what the Bills did in the Dols playoff game back in 1999 (1998 season) where Moulds demolished the record for yards in a post-season game (something like 240!).

Demon
06-17-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by PA Season Ticket Holder
TD didn't want him. He chose Jett instead :angry:

From all i'v read and heard, Sam Aiken has really been impressive in mini-camp and Aiken plays the same style as Stokes so i could see why we didn't sign Stokes and signed speed instead (Jett).

I think we will see Aiken alot more then we all thought on draft day.

SABURZFAN
06-17-2003, 01:06 AM
stokes may be a perfect compliment for j.smith but i don't think he would have been for moulds.

WG
06-17-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by robeezy
I agree Logic, we need SPEED! Not another possesion widout. Moulds is going to get shutdown this year with doubles and triples if we don't find a quality receiver core.

With some reasonable game-planning this year we'll be incredibly tough to stop. But the problems will come if Gilbride insists on rushing the ball <20 times/game while trying to throw, throw, throw our way to success.

Even an idiot could take the current team, w/ or w/o Jett, and make it an offensive juggernaut and we could have been last season as well.

Our OL will rival the best in the league this season, at least in terms of starters. If we properly use Moulds, Reed, Moore, Henry and run the ball a lot more, then teams will have to spread themselves so out that Moulds will be open often. He'll be doubled b/c he's good. But if that happens, as long as Gilbride "doesn't happen", then that would open things up for the underneath/medium passing game and the rushing game.

I see no reason why, unless we rely on the deep ball again, this offense cannot be #1-5 in the league easily, even as is and if Jett retires by opening day!

Anything short of that goal and I'm gonna blame the coaching. They'll never have more talent on the field on O than we have right now aggregately!

Stewie
06-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Stokes SUCKS! He is a complete bust as a 1st round pick, and we didnt need him

colin
06-17-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Doc
Moulds will be lining up in the slot and going in motion a lot this year, so as to prevent defenses from keying in on him. That's what the 49'ers do with Owens, and what the Bills did in the Dols playoff game back in 1999 (1998 season) where Moulds demolished the record for yards in a post-season game (something like 240!).

This post is the freaking truth. If we move Moulds around and let he and Bledsoe play together at their highest possible level, he will eat up the behatches who try to cover him.