PDA

View Full Version : In all seriousness....how many more years?

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
10-12-2010, 07:35 AM
I piss and moan as much as anyone about the dreadful state of affairs with the Bills. My question for today is this. Is my 11 year old son going to see the Bills have a winning season during his youth? I talked to him the other day and he is talking about other teams....I said what about the Bills. He says "They are no fun to watch".

I would love to share the good times of being a Bills fan with him sometime while he is still a kid, but fear it won't happen. I honestly feel that new ownership is the closest thing on the horizon that will be the impetus for real change and success. And that ain't gonna happen until Ralph passes.

OpIv37
10-12-2010, 07:43 AM
and here you have yet another bi-product of the "Decade of Fail:" a lost generation of fans.

Up until maybe 15 years ago, people rooted for the home team- win, lose, or draw- because it was the only team on TV and the only team getting coverage from the local media. But now, we have ESPN and Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football and Thursday Night Football and NFL Network and Sunday Ticket. And now, kids can go online and read any local newspaper covering any local team. And kids can also go online and buy merch from any team. They are no longer limited to the local team.

So, why the hell would young people start following the Bills? They don't have the history or memories of the team like those of us who are a little older, so they don't have any reason to suffer through this misery.

ChristopherWalken
10-12-2010, 07:51 AM
and here you have yet another bi-product of the "Decade of Fail:" a lost generation of fans.

Up until maybe 15 years ago, people rooted for the home team- win, lose, or draw- because it was the only team on TV and the only team getting coverage from the local media. But now, we have ESPN and Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football and Thursday Night Football and NFL Network and Sunday Ticket. And now, kids can go online and read any local newspaper covering any local team. And kids can also go online and buy merch from any team. They are no longer limited to the local team.

So, why the hell would young people start following the Bills? They don't have the history or memories of the team like those of us who are a little older, so they don't have any reason to suffer through this misery.

Well said...and painfully true.

Stewie
10-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Had this discussion during the game on Sunday. People in their late twenties/early thirties are the youngest generation to remember the glory days.

Novacane
10-12-2010, 08:12 AM
In all seriousness how many more years? Who knows. I'm not optimistic this willl turn around anytime soon. If we draft a franchise QB next year and he ends up being good we could start seeing a turn around in a couple years. If that QB turns out to be a bust we are screwed for at least 5 years and back where we started.

MikeInRoch
10-12-2010, 08:26 AM
At least 5.

Pinkerton Security
10-12-2010, 08:34 AM

Stewie
10-12-2010, 10:56 AM
I don't see how you can plan a turnaround longer than the average player's career. That's just planning for roster churn.

We may suck, but we're not that far off. We need to focus on stopping the run. I don't see why everyone thinks some 20 year old cube is going to be our savior. All the Joe Montanas in the world aren't going to stop the run. That gets fixed first. I don't mind if you get a qb at the same time, early or late, but that's not going to matter if we let up 30 points and 200 yards on the ground.

DraftBoy
10-12-2010, 11:06 AM
3-5 to be a consistent playoff team, 5+ to become a SB contender.

DynaPaul
10-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Like I said. It's gonna take 2 more drafts for us to have any hope... and that's IF we even nail some quality players in those drafts.

madness
10-12-2010, 11:24 AM
3-5 to be a consistent playoff team, 5+ to become a SB contender.

Bingo. When Nix said it would take at least 3 years to competitive, he was hinting towards a complete overhaul of this roster. It may be hard to believe but the Bills were one of the teams with the largest roster turnover rate this past year. It's also possible this year's draft class (including undrafted FA's) may contribute more than the past few classes alone by the time the season is over... even though bar isn't really set that high to begin with.

HAMMER
10-12-2010, 01:25 PM
I piss and moan as much as anyone about the dreadful state of affairs with the Bills. My question for today is this. Is my 11 year old son going to see the Bills have a winning season during his youth? I talked to him the other day and he is talking about other teams....I said what about the Bills. He says "They are no fun to watch".

I would love to share the good times of being a Bills fan with him sometime while he is still a kid, but fear it won't happen. I honestly feel that new ownership is the closest thing on the horizon that will be the impetus for real change and success. And that ain't gonna happen until Ralph passes.

If you really loved your son you would go buy him a Steelers jersey.

billz83
10-13-2010, 12:21 AM
As long as it takes for ralph wilson to sell the team or move on...this team will have NO SUCCESS while hes the owner..i dunno how many more years of him sabotaging the team u need to see to come to this conclusion but this is the said reality of the situation..

G Wolly
10-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Can you say something else once in awhile instead of copy and pasting the same redundant posts?

Dr. Taylor Zaius
10-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Lets put it this way. For every year Nix is calling the personnel shot we waste another 3 years. He foolishly ignored our gaping holes this past offseason, costing us at least 3 more years of misery. Nuff said.

Mad Max
10-13-2010, 08:47 PM

Guess it depends on your definition of youth.

Mr. Pink
10-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Maybe next decade?

BillsWin
10-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Post this thread after the draft and free agency. If we've drafted Luck and addressed our tackle position(s) I may change my answer.

As of right now, I'd say it will take 3-5 years to be in the playoffs consistently and 5-7 years to get that Super Bowl.

Mike
10-13-2010, 09:36 PM

Todays world is all about o-line marketing. It goes to show, that good teams with a good PR & Marketing will get the majority of the market. In a way, the location is not as restricting.

That being said, the Bills sucking for 10yrs is a great way to get the fan base emotionally detached and an even better way to stunt the growth of that same fan base which would aid them in a move. Less people will feel the pain,,,,and the rest of us can follow them online