PDA

View Full Version : Reputation and Luck

Extremebillsfan247
10-12-2010, 12:12 PM
During the telecast of USC vs Stanford, the commentators talked about what seems to me to be a disturbing possibility. With Buffalo's reputation around the football World at being an inept franchise, it is possible that if the Bills land the number 1 overall pick, that Luck may be talked out of entering the draft by his father and Jim Harbaugh.

These commentators for whom I do not have names off the top of my head mentioned the struggles of Detroit after drafting Mathew Stafford, who also have a reputation similar to Buffalo. It was suggested that it could play a roll in Andrew Luck's decision on whether to enter the draft or not. It is sort of a way to dictate where he goes rather then who he is drafted by as they said.

If Luck decides to stay at Stanford for another year, it is also likely that Ryan Mallet may follow suit because with Luck not being there to be drafted, he may end up here, and may not want to be, again because of that same reputation. That would leave us with Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, and other QBs who may not be at the level of Luck, or Mallet.

What scares me about this is how Ralph said yesterday that we will be looking for our future QB next year. If Luck, or Mallet are not there, it is possible that the Bills panic with their pick, get a QB just because it was what Ralph said we would do, and settle for less talent forcing us to reach on somebody. It's like watching a disaster unfold in slow motion.

Of course, you could say this is overblown, there is no way that can happen etc. You may be right in claiming this is just jumping the gun. I for one hope this scenario never plays out, Luck comes out, and we ultimately have our franchise QB in the end. But with this organization, nothing should be considered an impossibility when it comes to draft picks and bad luck. lol JMO Thanks for reading.

mightysimi
10-12-2010, 12:18 PM
We have a perfect example of why you shouldn't go back to school if you are projected as a high draft pick on our roster. Brohm killed his stock from staying in school. You could also say that Leinart would have been higher if he hadn't stayed.

STRONG_BAD
10-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Then we'll wait him out and go 0-16 next year.

Who does he think he'll be drafted by, the Steelers or Patriots?

Ingtar33
10-12-2010, 12:22 PM
During the telecast of USC vs Stanford, the commentators talked about what seems to me to be a disturbing possibility. With Buffalo's reputation around the football World at being an inept franchise, it is possible that if the Bills land the number 1 overall pick, that Luck may be talked out of entering the draft by his father and Jim Harbaugh.

These commentators for whom I do not have names off the top of my head mentioned the struggles of Detroit after drafting Mathew Stafford, who also have a reputation similar to Buffalo. It was suggested that it could play a roll in Andrew Luck's decision on whether to enter the draft or not. It is sort of a way to dictate where he goes rather then who he is drafted by as they said.

If Luck decides to stay at Stanford for another year, it is also likely that Ryan Mallet may follow suit because with Luck not being there to be drafted, he may end up here, and may not want to be, again because of that same reputation. That would leave us with Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, and other QBs who may not be at the level of Luck, or Mallet.

What scares me about this is how Ralph said yesterday that we will be looking for our future QB next year. If Luck, or Mallet are not there, it is possible that the Bills panic with their pick, get a QB just because it was what Ralph said we would do, and settle for less talent forcing us to reach on somebody. It's like watching a disaster unfold in slow motion.

Of course, you could say this is overblown, there is no way that can happen etc. You may be right in claiming this is just jumping the gun. I for one hope this scenario never plays out, Luck comes out, and we ultimately have our franchise QB in the end. But with this organization, nothing should be considered an impossibility when it comes to draft picks and bad luck. lol JMO Thanks for reading.

I think this is extremely likely with Luck (if we're no.1 overall)

Mallet will be leaving college this year. bank on it.

TacklingDummy
10-12-2010, 12:32 PM

If the Bills don't draft Mallet this coming draft than they will draft Barkley the following year.

Beebe's Kid
10-12-2010, 12:33 PM

Oh, this is absolutely a real fear. Eli Manning to San Diego comes to mind...also that guy that used to play for us, that Kelly fella.

Not only do we have the cluster **** that is us to overcome, we also have the CBA working against us. I don't see anywhere near the normal amount of underclassmen declaring if there is no CBA in place.

Can somebody clarify for me if this is a substantial fear, or could it work in our favor? In our favor...what I mean is would the lack of a CBA mean that there would be no rookie cap in place, yet, making it a bigger payday for underclassmen? That would be awesome. The draft would be filled with talent, and Luck would almost be a lock.

Harbaugh is a good point...I wonder if he still has a hard on for the organization. Normally I would think we were all adults, but he did take the time to track down Jimbo to punch him in the face. Details are a little fuzzy on what happened then, but I am pretty sure Kelly put him in the Camel Clutch and Harbaugh tapped out.

Bangarang
10-12-2010, 12:34 PM
There's always Adrien Clayborn to anchor our defense.

Beebe's Kid
10-12-2010, 12:35 PM

Exactly... Manning lucked the **** out when he threw his tantrum. It is a rare instance where a great team either (A) needs a QB (B) has the top pick in the draft.

Mski
10-12-2010, 12:36 PM
i would rather have mallet over luck anyway, and with there being no football next year (likely) there's a posibility of us having back to back #1's, so luck's attempt to avoid us wouldn't work

superbills
10-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Exactly... Manning lucked the **** out when he threw his tantrum. It is a rare instance where a great team either (A) needs a QB (B) has the top pick in the draft.

True that. Although he could get lucky (need I say no pun intended) and a team like the Cowboys could bottom-out given their offensive struggles this year, it's likely that he'll be faced with Cleveland, Buffalo, Carolina, and possibly Minnesota vying for his services. I'd throw Jacksonville in the mix there too, but right now they're middle of the pack draft-wise. The bottom line is, unless things really go south fast for a top-tier franchise or someone makes a wild trade come draft-time, Andrew is going to have to earn his stripes with the "dregs" of the league. The price you pay for being "Number 1".

superbills
10-12-2010, 01:10 PM
The defensive struggles of the Bills can't be discounted either and, given that, a scenario where the Bills take the top DE or LB in the draft and wait till round 2 or 3 to get a QB isn't too undesirable. We can avoid the Luck situation altogether by getting the best defensive player we can first and then someone like Nick Foles or Christian Ponder in round 2. In that scenario I could be a happy camper in April.

WeAreArthurMoates
10-12-2010, 01:51 PM
The defensive struggles of the Bills can't be discounted either and, given that, a scenario where the Bills take the top DE or LB in the draft and wait till round 2 or 3 to get a QB isn't too undesirable. We can avoid the Luck situation altogether by getting the best defensive player we can first and then someone like Nick Foles or Christian Ponder in round 2. In that scenario I could be a happy camper in April.

Everytime I watch Ponder I get more and more impressed. He reminds me so much of Flutie its unreal. I'd love Ponder in the 2nd, too bad Quinn was suspended, he'd be worthy of top 3 consideration.

Saratoga Slim
10-12-2010, 02:36 PM
I think the danger of Luck not declaring because of the lack of a CBA is a more real danger than not wanting to come to Buffalo.

If there is a CBA in place, it most likely will set parameters for rookie pay, so Luck will know that he's going to get about the same amount of $$ whether he gets drafted by Dan Snyder or Ralphie. After that, it's anyone's guess. Stafford didn't throw a tantrum about becoming a Lion, which is arguably a historically worse landing spot. Every top draft pick knows he's going to be in a bad situation for a few years. sitting out the draft would be gambling that his stock is as high after another year of college ball. And he'd be taking that risk without having any idea whether the team that picks 1st in 2012 is going to be any better of a situation for him.

My prediction is that if he stays in school, it's about the uncertainty regarding the CBA. I think that if he's OK with the CBA situation, it's most likely that he'd enter the draft, and then see where the chips fell. If he's a dick and has a problem with Buffalo, then we might see an Eli Manning situation. In which case, enjoy some very high extra draft picks if he forces a trade.

Jamiezzz
10-12-2010, 02:43 PM
If he is rated no.1 on draft boards, he would be silly not to come out...Anything can happen if he stays in school....injury..etc

mrbojanglezs
10-12-2010, 02:53 PM
i would rather have mallet over luck anyway, and with there being no football next year (likely) there's a posibility of us having back to back #1's, so luck's attempt to avoid us wouldn't work

i doubt any lockout would last the whole year

Thief
10-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Wouldn't the labor dispute work in favor of the QBs leaving college? Afterall, players already in the NFL won't mind throwing rookies under the bus during negotiations with a rookie max salary. Players waiting could lose 10s of millions of dollars.

mrbojanglezs
10-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Wouldn't the labor dispute work in favor of the QBs leaving college? Afterall, players already in the NFL won't mind throwing rookies under the bus during negotiations with a rookie max salary. Players waiting could lose 10s of millions of dollars.

it wouldn't work in favor because no team would sign their players until a new cba is released which probably would include a rookie cap

dasaybz
10-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Wow this is completely idiotic.

Who the hell wouldn't want to be the #1 pick in the entire draft and have millions thrown at their feet?

Look at Leinhart, he cost himself tens of millions of dollars by not coming out as a junior.

Luck isn't a bonehead, he's definitely going to come out if he's the consensus #1.

X-Era
10-12-2010, 03:47 PM
I dont put too much credence into this thought. The Bills are every bit as attractive as the Lions (Stafford), and Rams (Bradford).

No, I'm not that worried about this.

X-Era
10-12-2010, 03:48 PM
it wouldn't work in favor because no team would sign their players until a new cba is released which probably would include a rookie capBeen saying this. The days on no rookie cap are over.

Beebe's Kid
10-12-2010, 03:56 PM
I hope Luck is more attractive than Stafford.

I asked earlier, but I see we are talking about the CBA now...

I have two questions:

A. If there is no CBA, is there a draft?

B. If there is no CBA, and we do have a draft, there would be no rookie cap, so would a player, potentially, see a much larger payday?

Dr. Taylor Zaius
10-12-2010, 03:57 PM
We had better end up with Luck or Mallett...........

Buffalo Thriller
10-12-2010, 04:21 PM
If Luck wants to be a douche and not enter because he doesn't want to play thats fine. I doubt Mallet and him will Both do it.

Mad Max
10-12-2010, 04:30 PM
It has happened before, it's even happened with Luck's fellow Stanford Alum in Elway. But if his advisers are truly acting in his best interests then they tell him to come out if he's consensus no. 1.

NFL greatness is, well, great BUT it does not trump 50 Million Dollars. Go back to school and all of that is put at risk. Catastrophic knee injury, career ends before it began. Lousy season, and he drops to the 3rd round. Ok season and Gabbert (X) and Foles (DB) pass him up on the Draft Chart.

Also, noone knows where that greatness can or cannot be achieved. Drew Brees immortalized himself for example with an organization that has been far worse (minus one shining accomplishment) than the Bills. Peyton Manning achieved it with the Colts the same team that Elway shunned.

As for Mallett, if Luck stupidly decides to stay in school he should be happier than a razorback in........ Because he (Luck) will have just handed him (Mallett) a barrel full of cash. He'd be a bigger fool than Luck for not coming out if Luck stays in.

Zero
10-12-2010, 04:38 PM
It has happened before, it's even happened with Luck's fellow Stanford Alum in Elway. But if his advisers are truly acting in his best interests then they tell him to come out if he's consensus no. 1.

NFL greatness is, well, great BUT it does not trump 50 Million Dollars. Go back to school and all of that is put at risk. Catastrophic knee injury, career ends before it began. Lousy season, and he drops to the 3rd round. Ok season and Gabbert (X) and Foles (DB) pass him up on the Draft Chart.

Also, noone knows where that greatness can or cannot be achieved. Drew Brees immortalized himself for example with an organization that has been far worse (minus one shining accomplishment) than the Bills. Peyton Manning achieved it with the Colts the same team that Elway shunned.

As for Mallett, if Luck stupidly decides to stay in school he should be happier than a razorback in........ Because he (Luck) will have just handed him (Mallett) a barrel full of cash. He'd be a bigger fool than Luck for not coming out if Luck stays in.

This is all true. But a possible scenario could play out where Mallet or Luck decides to stay in school one more year, while the QB that does enter the draft demands he be traded away from the Bills, ala Eli Manning. Unlikely for sure, but conceivable nontheless. I guess if that situation played out, the Bills would likely trade the QB for more picks or something of equal (or hopefully greater value).

Mad Max
10-12-2010, 04:54 PM
This is all true. But a possible scenario could play out where Mallet or Luck decides to stay in school one more year, while the QB that does enter the draft demands he be traded away from the Bills, ala Eli Manning. Unlikely for sure, but conceivable nontheless. I guess if that situation played out, the Bills would likely trade the QB for more picks or something of equal (or hopefully greater value).
Ultimately, if a guy would refuse us giving him that kind of money..I say f him. We need someone who will be up to the challenge and proud to be a Buffalo Bill. We didn't always suck, we were once great...so we need a guy that thinks like a champion, a cok strong mothaf'r who is up to the task of helping us get back there.

billz83
10-13-2010, 12:15 AM
thas sum **** if all this is true..if he really stayed in college just to avoid playing for the bills i say F*** him..he isnt the competitor that summa u thought he was if he does do this..how bad has it gotten that a player would risk being injured and losing millions just to avoid playing for the buffalo bills..dayum u ralph wilson!!!