PDA

View Full Version : The "Garbage time" statement

NextbillsQB
10-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Trent Edwards during his "MVP" year sucked in the 1st few quarters and won each game in the 4th. He had great stats when we were behind, and was called captain clutch and **** for this reason. He was playing horrible teams and won these games partly because the defense was good enough to stop the opposing offense and give our offense a shot. Now Fitzpatrick is doing the same thing, sucking in the beginning, dominating 4th quarters, and now its called garbage time. If we were winning these games this statement wouldnt be used and the only reason were not winning these games is because our run defense, and pass defense is getting blown up in the 4th quarter. Apparently the 4th quarter is garbage time when your trailing or tied. I guess Brady won all his superbowls in garbage time. Even the jacksonville "garbage time" TD to Johnson at the end of the game, gave us a position to do an onside kick and get the ball back. Indi beat Houston last year in apparent "garbage time" after already losing by I think 17 in the 4th. People say this term because its a time that the defense is in prevent, well if people say well all Schobels sacks were in garbage time, thats not bad considering that it was vs no blitzes and sometimes a 3 man front. The defense knows your going to pass, so shouldt it be harder in the 4th quarter? I mean this is what Fitzpatrick is dealing with in the garbage time. 8-9 DBs, a team that knows you will pass, the pressure of scoring quick, and lastly, its usually one of the final drives of the game, the defense is more relaxed, they know if they just get a turnover, its over. Now can someone argue that "garbage time"makes any sense?

justasportsfan
10-13-2010, 10:55 AM
In Fitz's defense ,garbage time has not been caussed by him and the O. It's created by the D.

DynaPaul
10-13-2010, 11:16 AM
It is garbage time when you're hopelessly out of the game. Schobel got most of his sacks in garbage time.

RockStar36
10-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Then I guess it could be garbage time when the Pats went 18-1 and Brady tossed 50 touchdowns in the regular season. ****, half of those were thrown when the game was well within hand.

Or does the garbage time statement only work when we're arguing about the Bills?

Dr. Taylor Zaius
10-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Fitz is NOT an NFL starter. Simply a fact.:yawn:

Extremebillsfan247
10-13-2010, 11:22 AM
This thread is in garbage time. lol joking..

DynaPaul
10-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Then I guess it could be garbage time when the Pats went 18-1 and Brady tossed 50 touchdowns in the regular season. ****, half of those were thrown when the game was well within hand.

Or does the garbage time statement only work when we're arguing about the Bills?

That was called "running up the score"... in garbage time.

NextbillsQB
10-13-2010, 11:28 AM
It is garbage time when you're hopelessly out of the game. Schobel got most of his sacks in garbage time.

Fitzpatrick vs NE- Game, going into 4th quarter, 31-23, game ends. 38-30. No garbage time TDs, game is back and forth down to the end

Fitz vs NYJ- Ill give you this one. TD in garbage time, games out of reach, TD. Ill give it to you

Fitz vs Jack- We score a TD in the final few minutes when down by 16. Theres still 1:40 left in the game. We fail at the 2 pt conversion. If we would of got it, the score would of been 36-28, with still 1:40 left like I said. You cant say its garbage time, it could of put us back in the game

DynaPaul
10-13-2010, 11:33 AM
All I'm saying is that it's garbage time when you're playing to score in the 4th quarter and you're too far behind, barring some once in a decade series of miracle plays, to come back. They call those scores cosmetic touchdowns so that the score seems closer than it was. Also, when the other teams starters come out and they go into a vanilla defense - you know it's garbage time.

NextbillsQB
10-13-2010, 11:44 AM
All I'm saying is that it's garbage time when you're playing to score in the 4th quarter and you're too far behind, barring some once in a decade series of miracle plays, to come back. They call those scores cosmetic touchdowns so that the score seems closer than it was. Also, when the other teams starters come out and they go into a vanilla defense - you know it's garbage time.

We lost to the patriots and went to a prevent defense and lost. They didnt say that Brady beat us in garbage time

TheBrownBear
10-13-2010, 11:45 AM

Actually, he is an NFL starter - whether we like it or not.

psubills62
10-13-2010, 11:45 AM

Do you have statistics like average point differential and time left that indicate this is true? People seem to say this a lot, but I've never seen someone show that this is correct or incorrect.

NextbillsQB
10-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Do you have statistics like average point differential and time left that indicate this is true? People seem to say this a lot, but I've never seen someone show that this is correct or incorrect.

At least last year, Schobel had alot of key sacks in non garbage time. Vs Miami and NE he had alot in just the first 2 quarters

Nighthawk
10-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Look at Fitz's stats when the game was in doubt and then look at what he does after it is out of hand. It's an eye opener. Stop trying to make it something more then it is...Fitz is a nice backup...that's it.

NextbillsQB
10-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Look at Fitz's stats when the game was in doubt and then look at what he does after it is out of hand. It's an eye opener. Stop trying to make it something more then it is...Fitz is a nice backup...that's it.

Hes had 1 TD, when the game was out of reach

Nighthawk
10-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Hes had 1 TD, when the game was out of reach

You seriously are not trying to say that Fitz is the answer at QB...are you? :wtf:

RockStar36
10-13-2010, 11:58 AM
You seriously are not trying to say that Fitz is the answer at QB...are you? :wtf:

I don't think anybody is. We know he isn't, but he is for this year so we'll have to deal with it.

Nighthawk
10-13-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't think anybody is. We know he isn't, but he is for this year so we'll have to deal with it.

I hear that...but he is trying to make the point that Fitz is a quality starter...IMO, he isn't. The only "game-changing" plays he makes are for the other team. He is definitely not the sole reason for this teams 0-5 record, but he has done anything special to change it.

NextbillsQB
10-13-2010, 12:00 PM

No, i just dont like the term garbage time being used for Fitz this year. Hes had only 1 TD when the game was basically over and actually, he was about to be benched and Gailey said you have to do something in this drive or Brohms in, and he scored a TD. So honestly it was a very important drive for him

Nighthawk
10-13-2010, 12:01 PM
No, i just dont like the term garbage time being used for Fitz this year. Hes had only 1 TD when the game was basically over and actually, he was about to be benched and Gailey said you have to do something in this drive or Brohms in, and he scored a TD. So honestly it was a very important drive for him

Are you serious??? That drive was very much in "garbage time"...the game was over, thus the reason why Brohm was going to go in.

NextbillsQB
10-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Are you serious??? That drive was very much in "garbage time"...the game was over, thus the reason why Brohm was going to go in.

No ****. I said that it was

RockStar36
10-13-2010, 12:03 PM
I hear that...but he is trying to make the point that Fitz is a quality starter...IMO, he isn't. The only "game-changing" plays he makes are for the other team. He is definitely not the sole reason for this teams 0-5 record, but he has done anything special to change it.

That isn't what I got out of it. I certainly wouldn't say he is a quality starter. But I also don't agree with the people who say he racks up stats in garbage time to appear better than he is. His stats are what they are. It's not his fault the defense allows 30+ points a game and he's always playing from behind in the 4th quarter.

I suppose the Jets game I'll chalk up to garbage time, but no way with NE and Jax. He was trying to get them in position to win. The garbage time statement is dumb.

NextbillsQB
10-13-2010, 12:03 PM
That isn't what I got out of it. I certainly wouldn't say he is a quality starter. But I also don't agree with the people who say he racks up stats in garbage time to appear better than he is. His stats are what they are. It's not his fault the defense allows 30+ points a game and he's always playing from behind in the 4th quarter.

I suppose the Jets game I'll chalk up to garbage time, but no way with NE and Jax. He was trying to get them in position to win. The garbage time statement is dumb.

TTTTHHHHAAANNNKKKK YYYYOOOOUUUU

Nighthawk
10-13-2010, 12:16 PM

I disagree...but if that's how you feel, I can respect it.

His stats through most of each game have been average to poor until the last quarter...that is garbage time with this team because the defense is so bad. The game is over when he finally starts "lighting it up"...that's a fact. Last game he had 120 yards or so until the 4th quarter and then he inflated his stats. When the game was on the line and they needed a play, it's not there. I'm in no way stating that Fitz has been the reason for the losses, but this arguement is kind of funny and based entirely off his stats at the end of the game. All that matters is what happened during the game and anybody who has watched the games can see he is not a QB who makes plays when it counts...when the team NEEDS it. Case in point was the NE game when the Bills had two chances to tie or go ahead in that game and in each instance, he threw interceptions. IMO, he is not capable of being this team's franchise QB.

NextbillsQB
10-13-2010, 12:19 PM

His stats through most of each game have been average to poor until the last quarter...that is garbage time with this team because the defense is so bad. The game is over when he finally starts "lighting it up"...that's a fact. Last game he had 120 yards or so until the 4th quarter and then he inflated his stats. When the game was on the line and they needed a play, it's not there. I'm in no way stating that Fitz has been the reason for the losses, but this arguement is kind of funny and based entirely off his stats at the end of the game. All that matters is what happened during the game and anybody who has watched the games can see he is not a QB who makes plays when it counts...when the team NEEDS it. Case in point was the NE game when the Bills had two chances to tie or go ahead in that game and in each instance, he threw interceptions. IMO, he is not capable of being this team's franchise QB.

We have been in it till the last quarter usually. All except NYJ game

cocamide
10-13-2010, 12:20 PM
All of Marino's stats were in garbage time.

NextbillsQB
10-13-2010, 12:20 PM

The last INT also, David Nelson could of made a better attempt. Hes 6-5, with his arms probably close to 10 FT. That was no more than 9 ft, along with him hopefully jumping he couldve caught it

Nighthawk
10-13-2010, 12:22 PM
The last INT also, David Nelson could of made a better attempt. Hes 6-5, with his arms probably close to 10 FT. That was no more than 9 ft, along with him hopefully jumping he couldve caught it

He was covered by 2 or 3 players...it was a bad decision.

NextbillsQB
10-13-2010, 12:26 PM
He was covered by 2 or 3 players...it was a bad decision.

Ya, but either way if Nelson would of tried for it, everyone would be talking bout how great of a decision and pass it was. It wasnt a bad pass, and it was a trust decision

Nighthawk
10-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Ya, but either way if Nelson would of tried for it, everyone would be talking bout how great of a decision and pass it was. It wasnt a bad pass, and it was a trust decision

You are reaching to make your point and I don't agree.

We need to agree to disagree.

NextbillsQB
10-13-2010, 12:36 PM
You are reaching to make your point and I don't agree.

We need to agree to disagree.

Agreed

Mr. Pink
10-13-2010, 01:04 PM

No.

Garbage time refers to when any team is trailing and the oppositions defense does nothing to stop them from slowly and methodically moving down field.

When you're losing, your guys should still care about stopping the opposition to try and somewhat stay in the game.

Jeff1220
10-13-2010, 01:08 PM
This whole season could be called "garbage time".

Dr. Taylor Zaius
10-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Fitz is NOT an NFL starter. Simply a fact.:yawn: Absolutely correct. This gushing over Fitz by some around here is baffling and somewhat humorous. :mybills:

DynaPaul
10-13-2010, 07:10 PM

No... it's a simple judgment call.

DynaPaul
10-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Here, you can find a longer explanation on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_time

psubills62
10-13-2010, 08:13 PM
No... it's a simple judgment call.

Then I wouldn't go around saying it. People tend to remember things incorrectly, or they remember certain things and forget others. I don't think I trust anyone's judgment calls, including my own, without something to back it up.

Joe Fo Sho
10-14-2010, 11:27 AM

Ha, you should say NFL caliber starter... The fact is he is starting for an NFL team.

stuckincincy
10-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Here, you can find a longer explanation on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_time

Thanks for the link.

It's different from "run up the score" time, which NE* seems to enjoy doing.

Most memorable to me was CIN coach Sam Wyche vs. HOU coach Jerry Glanville.

For some reason, they personally despised each other, and both of them would pile it on in when the opportunity presented.

Last I knew, Wyche has much of his voice back after that botched throat surgery several years ago. Wasn't Glanville coaching somewhere in the college ranks a few years back?

DynaPaul
10-15-2010, 11:23 AM
I thought it was pretty clear what garbage time was but apparently some people want a specific statistic or formula to determine that. They must be project managers or something.