PDA

View Full Version : Switching back to the 4-3....any truth to it?

kelly2reed4six
10-13-2010, 11:35 AM
According to Clayton's comments in the ESPN power rankings.....anyone know if there is any truth to that?

I really don't know if I want them to....I think that we could end up winning a few games if we do and screwing up our chances of drafting luck/mallet. This defense is much more suited for a 4-3 style right now and may actually start making some plays.....its bittersweet if they do.

hydro
10-13-2010, 11:37 AM
We have been running mostly 4-3 anyhow.

BertSquirtgum
10-13-2010, 11:40 AM
they played the 4-3 all day sunday and they still blew chunks

psubills62
10-13-2010, 11:42 AM
I haven't seen all the games, but I don't know if I remember seeing a 3-4 alignment yet.

OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but the 3-4 alignment has been very rare.

NextbillsQB
10-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Our 3-4 allignment is so fd up. Mainly because its just a 4-3 but with a bunch of 3-4 suited players. It usually goes like,

DE- Edwards
DT- Williams
Dt- Stroud
DE- Maybin
OLB- Kelsay
ILB- Poz
ILB- Davis
This is usually what our D looks like. Especially with no blitzes, its stupid

DraftBoy
10-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Doesn't matter, we don't have players to really fit either system.

Nighthawk
10-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Doesn't matter, we don't have players to really fit either system.

Nor the defensive coordinator...

kelly2reed4six
10-13-2010, 12:01 PM
they played the 4-3 all day sunday and they still blew chunks

lol, thanks for clearing that up for me.

I didn't see last weeks game because I was on duty. I have to say, I felt SOOO much less stress Monday not having to watch our sh**hole of a team lose.

NextbillsQB
10-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Nor the defensive coordinator...

Honestly we really cant go back with a 3-4 defensive minded coach

TedMock
10-13-2010, 12:12 PM
The defense just stinks. Doesn't matter what alignment they're in. It's a bit overhyped anyway. They'll line in a 34 on first down and on some second downs. Most of the time they're running variations of their nickel. 2nd and 7, 3rd and 5, etc. That happens with a lot of teams. The base isn't always the main thing used and the game often dictates alignment. Our defense is just bad however they line up.

EDS
10-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Is Schobel the only significant loss from last seasons defense?

Nighthawk
10-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Honestly we really cant go back with a 3-4 defensive minded coach

He's not a 3-4 minded DC, nor is he a 4-3 minded DC. In fact, he is not DC material at all...he is terrible and looks completely lost in the job.

NextbillsQB
10-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Is Schobel the only significant loss from last seasons defense?

Its not really the loses, its just the system. Didnt Green Bays D suck majorly there first 3-4 year?

psubills62
10-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Its not really the loses, its just the system. Didnt Green Bays D suck majorly there first 3-4 year?

Not exactly. GB was #1 in run defense last year (their first in the 3-4), #5 in pass defense and #2 in overall defense.

Green Bay also has a lot of DL talent, runs an aggressive scheme, and had guys who fit the 3-4 scheme.

OpIv37
10-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Actually the opposite. After the switch, GB's D sucked for a couple of games, then came out of nowhere and played really well.

Canadian'eh!
10-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Yet another example of the Bills management deciding something, panicing and then backtracking.

No wonder there is never any progress.

madness
10-13-2010, 12:48 PM
We haven't been playing in the 4-3 (except last game). It's mostly been nickle and dime packages up to this point because our LB's are versatile enough to do... well, anything.

(http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/10/12/heavier-4-3-front-explained/)
Heavier 4-3 front explained (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/10/12/heavier-4-3-front-explained/)

<small>Posted by Chris Brown on <abbr title="2010-10-12T09:13:01+0000"> October 12, 2010 – 9:13 am </abbr> </small>

The Bills employed a heavy 4-3 front that had Marcus Stroud and Dwan Edwards at the ends and Kyle Williams and Torell Troup in the middle last Sunday. Head coach Chan Gailey provided an explanation as to why that was the approach.
Gailey was asked if the heavier front is a shift in defensive philosophy after the true 3-4 look they implemented at the start of the season was having its problems stopping anyone.
“To be honest with you, it’s not a shift in philosophy,” Gailey said. ”It’s a shift in necessity. We’re not doing what we feel like we need to against the run game. So, we felt like we need to get some bigger people on the field to help us in that respect. It’s a shift in necessity more than it is a shift in philosophy.”
The heavier front worked in the early going against the Jaguars. The only drawback to that heavier front was the bigger, heavier ends do not have as much range to get to the edge and with one less linebacker on the field, the Jaguars tried to take advantage of that with outside run plays and reverses.
As for whether the heavier 4-3 front will be used in the future, Gailey indicated it would largely depend on their opponent each week.
“I think we look at it game-by-game about what we’re facing,” he said. ”If we’re facing a heavy run team, we might be more that way. If we’re facing more of a play-action and more of a pass team, we might be back in our four linebacker schemes. I think it will just depend on the direction that each week takes us with the team that we’re facing.”

Forward_Lateral
10-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Uggh.

Ingtar33
10-13-2010, 02:58 PM

no... GB went from worst defense in football (I think they were 30th or so ranked running the 4-3) to the 2nd best defense in football (running the 3-4) because they went out in the offseason and got the players to play it, and a great coach to coach it (dom capers)