• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imbondz
    Democrats are people too
    • Jan 2003

the "Inside Slant"

Inside Slant Buffalo Bills

At 6-foot-3, 237 pounds, Rian Lindell looks more like a linebacker or tight end than a place-kicker.
    But any Bills fan expecting to see Lindell pound the ball into the end zone kickoff after kickoff should re-adjust his or her radar...

...In drills this spring, special teams coach Danny Smith has had to make adjustments to Lindell's kickoff style in order to improve his consistency in getting the ball inside the 10-yard line.

"His consistency wasn't very good on his kickoffs," Smith said. "We've changed his approach and we're kicking off better right now."

MORE
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

• Travis Hunter
    • Jul 2002

Why is it we cannot get a kicker who can kick off deep like every other team that plays against us.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• imbondz
      Democrats are people too
      • Jan 2003

It's unbelievable. It doesn't seem that difficult of a job. Not to mention the psychological disadvantage for special teams. Thinking that everytime you line up, it might be a short kick.
      Last edited by imbondz; 06-16-2003, 10:21 PM.
      My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• SoCalBillsFan
        Expert on Experts
        • Jul 2002

can moorman kick off? This is rediculous, NFL kickers should be able to get it inside the ten yard line.

Comment

• The_Philster
          • Jul 2002

Yes...he kicked off his rookie year. I think he could do it again as well. He's not coming off an NFL Europe Season this year like he did that year.
          The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• LABillsFan
            • Aug 2002

Does anyone feel comfortable with the fact that Danny Smith is making adjustments with Lindell? I felt that this area was being ignored, in fact I started a thread about it (see Rian Lindell). A lot of responses were tilted towards the not to worry side of things. His stats show he is dead on from the middle of the field and horrible from the sides, now this. I will go balistic if the kicking team melts down again.
            I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• Throne Logic
              Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
              • Aug 2002

I totally agree, SoCal. I was watching the USA women's soccer team over the weekend and they seem to pop the ball 50-60 yards without too much effort.

You'd think there would be a few soccer players out there with monster legs who could put the ball in the endzone.

I mean, I just do not believe that there are only about 12 guys in the world capable of kicking the ball that far. Find someone and sign him. I don't care if he is accurate. Keep Lindell to kick FG's.

Field position is one of the MOST important aspects of this game. And kickoff / punts are a huge part of this. Carry three kickers if you have to. It's THAT important.
              Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• Throne Logic
                Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                • Aug 2002

And another thing. . . Lindell has been kicking for how long? You mean to tell me that NOT ONE of his prior coaches saw this so-called flaw in his game before?

Why should we believe that Danny Smith can miraculously just fix this problem in one pre-season?

Uhg. Of all the things that I've defended TD on. This is the one I've been questioning. When you find a decent kicker who is consistent in the Buffalo weather, you KEEP HIM AT ALL COSTS!!!!

We let Christy go. He was no longer in his prime, but he knew how to kick in Buffalo in November - January. Hollis was a godsend last year compared to the prior year's group (which TD waited until the last minute to sign). Now they let him go after he proved he could handle Buffalo's weather.

Uhg. For all his smarts, TD still seems to completely underestimate the importance of he kicking game. It gives you easy points after your Offense screws up in the Red Zone. AND, it is the single most influential aspect of the field position battle.

Oh, and did I mention, UHG.
                Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• robeezy
                  • Jun 2003

Lindell has never really been that good. He just had a descent year last year. Did you know the Bills signed him without even seeing him kick? They just wanted a name. Hollis wanted to much money. I have a feeling he won't be around long. He reminds me of Norwood the way he kicks.
                  "No body Circles the Wagon, Like the Buffalo Bills!"

Comment

• The_Philster
                    • Jul 2002

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Scottie was pretty good until everyone kept focusing on that one big miss.
                    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• venis2k1
                      Youboty can hope
                      • Jul 2002

Lets see Lindell kick before we hang him, as far as "just wanting a Name", They would have signed Hollis if that was their motivation, after all he is a former pro bowler. Lindell signed for more money than hollis ended up signing for(less than what he was asking though) TD would NEVER EVER sign a guy without seeing him play. He is the best in the game for a reason.

Comment

• MissBuffalo
                        Quiddity
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Throne Logic
                        You'd think there would be a few soccer players out there with monster legs who could put the ball in the endzone.
                        Ala Steve Christie. Not that I want him back, but I think you've got the right idea.
                        See me here pushing you
                        If I then deny I do
                        Contemplate or wish away
                        If I ask you not to stay

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

I agree with everything you guys are saying... This was the one BIG question mark in my mind as far as Donohoe's moves. Its obvious that he doesn't place too much, or at least enough, importance on the kicking game - which seems absolutely insane after a year of Jake Arians and Shane Graham..

Yeah, Hollis wanted more than they wanted to pay him, but its a friggin kickers salary - we're talking what, 200-300k difference here? For a guy with one of the highest career FG percentages in NFL history and who's decent on kickoffs, I say spend the extra change.

This is a very scary move IMO - from what I've heard/read, Lindell was not thought of very highly up in Seattle. He's inferior in every way to Hollis with the exception of his age and his experience on Field Turf.. which I can't imagine means very much.

Comment

• Doc
                            • Dec 2002

What was missing from that excerpt were these bits:

"The Bills signed Lindell, a restricted free agent of the Seattle Seahawks, partly because they felt he had a stronger kickoff leg than the diminutive Mike Hollis. He does, but he's no Sebastian Janikowski, the coaching staff has discovered."

Also:

"But is it good enough to have Lindell, who signed a four-year, $4.25 million deal, kick away as far as he can as a strategy?

"To be honest, I don't think so," Smith said. "There's only a handful of guys in the league who can do it and he's not one of them. He's a good kicker, but we're going to have to move the ball around."

Still more:

"Of 84 kickoffs, Hollis had only five reach the end zone and two go for touchbacks. With Seattle, Lindell had 20 kickoffs land inside the 5-yard line, but he had no touchbacks."

Yet even more!:

"Lindell, a third-year pro who hit on 23 of his 29 field goal attempts last year, has been booming his field goals through the uprights all spring. But he's eager to do all he can to improve his kickoffs and become a complete kicker."

So in short, Lindell is kicking FG's well, and kicks off better than Hollis, but Smith is trying to get him to be even better. Okay, I feel better now.
                            Last edited by Doc; 06-16-2003, 11:05 PM.

Comment

• Doc
                              • Dec 2002

BTW, couldn't kickers get better distance by toeing the ball, the old method of kicking, rather than using the soccer-style? I could see that breaking your toes could be a concern, although I'm sure they play with reinforced (at the toe) sneakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X