PDA

View Full Version : Incompetence or Building Thru Draft?

ServoBillieves
10-14-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm not entirely certain, but I believe we're the only team in the NFL that has a 7th round draft pick free agent starting at quarterback, with a UDFA/Arena/NFLE starting at running back.

What is wrong with our drafts?

In descending order...

2009: top 5 stay (Maybin, Wood, Levitre, Nelson, Byrd), The Harris's and Lankster stick around. (8 picks)

2008: McKelvin, Corner, Bell and Johnson stay. 2 start. The other 6 have been cut. (10 picks)

2007: Hahahahahahahaha only Poz and Schouman (IR) remain. (7 picks)

2006: Whitner (starter) McCargo (joke) Youboty (still?) and Williams (no complaints) still around. I would guess that Butler isn't necessarily a terrible loss since it was his idea to leave. (9 picks)

2005: We were all fairly happy with Lionel Gates in the preseason, followed by only keeping Roscoe so far. (6 picks)

2004: In a stellar draft involving Lee Evans, J.P. Losman, Tim Anderson, Tim Euhus, Dylan McFarland, and Jonathon Smith. Only Evans remains. (6 picks)

2003: McGahee finds the end zone for the Ravens, Kelsay and McGee still remain, and Mario Haggan was a great late round find, doing well for the Broncos. (8 picks)

2002: 10 picks, no Bills left.

2001: 12 picks, no Bills left.

76 picks. 22 have stayed, most in poor or reserve roles.

And now...

2010: C.J. Spiller, showing some promise. Torrell Troupe, less tackles than our FB. Alex Carrington, 1 tackle. Easley, IR (management stupidity). Ed Wang, backup T. Arthur Moats, 4 tackles. Danny Batten, IR. Levi Brown, 3rd string QB. Kyle Calloway, cut.

How, exactly, do we go about "building through the draft?"

Mahdi
10-14-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm not entirely certain, but I believe we're the only team in the NFL that has a 7th round draft pick free agent starting at quarterback, with a UDFA/Arena/NFLE starting at running back.

What is wrong with our drafts?

In descending order...

2009: top 5 stay (Maybin, Wood, Levitre, Nelson, Byrd), The Harris's and Lankster stick around. (8 picks)

2008: McKelvin, Corner, Bell and Johnson stay. 2 start. The other 6 have been cut. (10 picks)

2007: Hahahahahahahaha only Poz and Schouman (IR) remain. (7 picks)

2006: Whitner (starter) McCargo (joke) Youboty (still?) and Williams (no complaints) still around. I would guess that Butler isn't necessarily a terrible loss since it was his idea to leave. (9 picks)

2005: We were all fairly happy with Lionel Gates in the preseason, followed by only keeping Roscoe so far. (6 picks)

2004: In a stellar draft involving Lee Evans, J.P. Losman, Tim Anderson, Tim Euhus, Dylan McFarland, and Jonathon Smith. Only Evans remains. (6 picks)

2003: McGahee finds the end zone for the Ravens, Kelsay and McGee still remain, and Mario Haggan was a great late round find, doing well for the Broncos. (8 picks)

2002: 10 picks, no Bills left.

2001: 12 picks, no Bills left.

76 picks. 22 have stayed, most in poor or reserve roles.

And now...

2010: C.J. Spiller, showing some promise. Torrell Troupe, less tackles than our FB. Alex Carrington, 1 tackle. Easley, IR (management stupidity). Ed Wang, backup T. Arthur Moats, 4 tackles. Danny Batten, IR. Levi Brown, 3rd string QB. Kyle Calloway, cut.

Best players on our team are 4th round or lower. It's incompetence and bad drafting.

OpIv37
10-14-2010, 02:27 PM
The really sad part is that our list of FA's over that time period is just as pathetic. I'm 2003, we bolstered our D with a bunch of FA's, most notably Spikes, Fletcher and Sam Adams. Since then, our FA's have been pathetic. In fact, the only decent one I can recall is Florence.

ddaryl
10-14-2010, 02:39 PM
unless you have a decent core of players to surround your rookies your rookies are going to look bad, and or struggle.

hence the problem with this team.. A decade of piss poor drafting and FA acqusitions has left us void of any credible core and therefore we are desperately trying to get a core together via drafted rookies

Surround your rookies with quality players and they will learn faster and make more plays. Surround your rookies with cast offs, and non-proven, or aging vets and it's going to take that much longer.

I don't know how long its going to take to get this ship right, but obviously it's not happening in the short term. The job gets a lot harder now because decent FA's are going to sign elsewhere, so we are left trying to build a core through the draft and that will take years.

Ed
10-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Well the theory is that Nix is a great college talent evaluator, so he will deliver us better drafts. Unfortunately, he's going to have to pull off some amazing drafts over the next couple years to make up for this past decade of incompetence. That also includes guys like Troup, Carrington, and Easley all becoming significant contributors. The pressure is definitely on Nix to not screw up any picks, which is almost impossible. It's really going to require a lot of good fortune and luck to turn this thing around also. Because producing some excellent drafts is this teams only chance of turning things around in the near future. So building through the draft is really our only option because you're fooling yourself if you believe that any significant free agents are going to consider coming to Buffalo with the way things are now.

Beebe's Kid
10-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Easley is "management in supidity" only in hindsight. They were told by doctors he would be out a minimum of 8 weeks, and they decided that was too much time for him to miss, and then expect him to contribute, let alone heal completely, which was more important. He ended up healing freakishly fast...that is a good thing for us. I would have loved to see him, but have no issue with how that was handled. Of course, now that we know what we know many will look back and say it was just another mistake, because they are amazing at judging moves after the dust settles.

Troup is also going to be starting alongside of Williams now. He had 4 tackles last game, and the team is impressed with him.

I don't think there is a soul alive that would argue about the past drafts, when I say past, I am saying pre-2009, minus Maybin.

OpIv37
10-14-2010, 03:13 PM
if the team is impressed with Troup, that's part of the problem. The guy looked like **** against Jax.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
10-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Nix is turning out to be a complete boob. He ignored our biggest holes in the roster and none of his picks is showing us much of anything with the exception of Moats Spiller has promise, but we should expect much more from a 1st runder. Fact.

Bangarang
10-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Oh hey, look, it's another one of those threads.

Ed
10-14-2010, 04:19 PM
if the team is impressed with Troup, that's part of the problem. The guy looked like **** against Jax.
Wow, I guess our rookies only get one game to impress you.

Mad Max
10-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Nix is turning out to be a complete boob. He ignored our biggest holes in the roster and none of his picks is showing us much of anything with the exception of Moats Spiller has promise, but we should expect much more from a 1st runder. Fact.

You don't like boobs? I like them a LOT.

OpIv37
10-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Wow, I guess our rookies only get one game to impress you.

when we don't sign any FA's and we take Troup when the consensus was that Cody is better and our only hope for a real 3-4 NT is riding on him, he doesn't get any excuses. Giving rookies time is what got us to 0-5. Fair or not, this team's ONLY chance to win is to have guys like him step in and be successful right away. And next year it may not be him but we'll need some other rookie to come in and be perfect just to have a chance.

It's not fair to the player and it sucks, but it's the way this team insists on doing business.

BertSquirtgum
10-14-2010, 10:58 PM

i wish i knew the answer to this question

billz83
10-15-2010, 12:43 AM
we need to draft the holes we have on the team and if they dont think they can get a GREAT player in the draft then they should get a buncha FA that will make this team better not worse(RT green), to solve our needs!

ServoBillieves
10-15-2010, 01:18 AM
Who were our FA's this year anyway? Green (turrible) Davis (dece) Ayodele (off the streets), Dwan Edwards... who? Also, upon looking on BB.com, anyone else realize that Joe K was released from IR?

BertSquirtgum
10-15-2010, 01:22 AM
this team flat out sucks, it's very depressing just thinking about it......

G Wolly
10-15-2010, 01:23 AM
Also, upon looking on BB.com, anyone else realize that Joe K was released from IR?

Yea a few weeks ago

ServoBillieves
10-15-2010, 01:32 AM
Yea a few weeks ago

I do remember seeing this earlier... sorry being tired and havin' a few makes me forget -_-

Dr. Taylor Zaius
10-15-2010, 07:00 AM
You don't like boobs? I like them a LOT.

Your admission to liking man boobs explains alot. LOL. :trance:

Dr. Taylor Zaius
10-15-2010, 07:02 AM
we need to draft the holes we have on the team and if they dont think they can get a GREAT player in the draft then they should get a buncha FA that will make this team better not worse(RT green), to solve our needs!

No doubt about it. Instead the foolish Nix ignores the key positions of need in the draft (QB and OL) and blunders FA pickups as well.

jamze132
10-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Modrak seems to be the constant in all of our recent drafts. :scratch: