PDA

View Full Version : Jim Kelly is Buffalo's Savior

Thundering Buffalo
10-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Neumann also asked Kelly about his intentions to be part of a group that might succeed Ralph Wilson as Bills owner:

"It's in limbo, because Mr. Wilson is still the owner of the Bills. He's still alive and kicking, thank God. He's a guy who's had that franchise for over 50 years, and he's had people come to him wanting to buy it and move it somewhere else. But he's been loyal to Western New York, and if that day comes when he decides, 'It's time for me to relinquish the ownership,' then I do have people in line that will want to purchase the team and keep it in Western New York because I do not entertain any offers from anybody looking to move the Buffalo Bills from Western New York. I just won't do it. I'll do whatever it takes to keep them in Buffalo."

In Jimbo we trust!

Canadian'eh!
10-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Until someone from LA offers twice what the team is worth in Buffalo, and Jimbo and his group have to back down.

mrbojanglezs
10-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Until someone from LA offers twice what the team is worth in Buffalo, and Jimbo and his group have to back down.

I doubt anyone would pay 1.6 billion for this team, just stupid

Jan Reimers
10-15-2010, 08:13 AM
It's nort just the sale price, either. The NFL will extract a large relocation fee, and the new city/ownership group will in all probability need a new stadium.

Moving this team will be far more expensive than keeping it in Buffalo.

Mr. Miyagi
10-15-2010, 08:16 AM
I may be wrong but this is the first time I've heard Kelly actually come straight out and state that he's got it all ready to go when the time comes. All the previous times he's been saying he's trying and have been talking to people and stuff like that, never a "Yes I'm Ready" like this one.

:bf1:

madness
10-15-2010, 08:19 AM
I guess the rumors were right. I love the fact Kelly made it a point to say the only reason Buffalo has a team is Ralph Wilson. Any other owner would have taken the highest bidder by now.

Beebe's Kid
10-15-2010, 08:24 AM
I hate to be link guy, but is there a link to this story?

I read something that said the same thing last year...actually this looks like the same story, so I was curious when it was dated.

trapezeus
10-15-2010, 08:28 AM
no doubt wilson gets credit for keeping them here, but he gets a knock for not having a succession plan.

dasaybz
10-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Wait, how the hell do you know he doesn't have a succession plan?

THATHURMANATOR
10-15-2010, 08:30 AM
I doubt anyone would pay 1.6 billion for this team, just stupid
Especially in this economy.

THATHURMANATOR
10-15-2010, 08:32 AM
I hate to be link guy, but is there a link to this story?

I read something that said the same thing last year...actually this looks like the same story, so I was curious when it was dated.
agreed.

SABuffalo786
10-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Well, he's putting his nuts on the line and that's all you can really ask for at this point.

RockStar36
10-15-2010, 08:35 AM
It is a new article.

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=5685686

T-Long
10-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Definitely would like to see a link...perfect story to share on NFL.com

Update: Just saw the link posted! Thanks

trapezeus
10-15-2010, 08:37 AM
a succession plan usually is public for a large corporation, which the bills are. it's to show there is some continuity after a key person leaves, which he is.

do any of us know what really is happening when he passes? nope.

Dr. Lecter
10-15-2010, 08:38 AM
no doubt wilson gets credit for keeping them here, but he gets a knock for not having a succession plan.

Just because he did not call you and tell you does not mean one does no exist.

To think that he does not have a plan (whether it is one to keep the team here or move it) is absurd.

Jan Reimers
10-15-2010, 08:50 AM
a succession plan usually is public for a large corporation, which the bills are. it's to show there is some continuity after a key person leaves, which he is.

The Bills are privately owned, so things like succession plans are not generally made public.

But from everything Ralph has said, his only plan is for his estate to sell to the highest bidder. But I suppose there could be an undivulged plan.

Beebe's Kid
10-15-2010, 09:05 AM
It is a new article.

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=5685686
Thank you, good to know the information is, as they say in the business...current.

There is no way that Wilson has a succession plan. Do you know how many Bills sweatshirts, hats, and jerseys I own. I even have a pair of Bills colored Nike's, and I would be aware of the succession plan, if not solely based on the amount of sweet gear, but because I am ****ing entitled to it. I should know what he is going to do, and if I don't, well....then there, clearly, is no plan in place.

What was the value of the Bills $650,000,000?

You'd be surprised at the amount of companies worth six and a half hundred mill that have no succession plans in the unlikely event that something should happen to it's 92 year old owner, with failing health....what could happen???

Ralph obviously only owned this team to **** with several posters lives, and had very little emotional attachment. Why would he give a **** what happens to the business he spent the last 50 years of his life developing, and growing?

There obviously is no plan for two reasons...1. I don't know about it. 2. Ralph doesn't care, he is just trying to **** my life.

Oh, and because I may have a little difficulty pooling together the resources to pull the trigger on this team, I have to say that there is no way Kelly can do it. What's he going to pull capital investors out of his pocket???

BillsWin
10-15-2010, 09:19 AM
This may be the first time Kelly has actually come down off the fence and clearly state that he has people in place. Before it was always a rumor with him flirting with the confirmation. He would say he was interested in putting people in place, but I don't think he's ever been quoted with this much certainty. Could be a good sign and maybe a reason why he has been so involved with the franchise lately. From writing articles to interviewing on the radio and tv on behalf of the Bills. Could be a good sign eh?

Beebe's Kid
10-15-2010, 09:27 AM
This may be the first time Kelly has actually come down off the fence and clearly state that he has people in place. Before it was always a rumor with him flirting with the confirmation. He would say he was interested in putting people in place, but I don't think he's ever been quoted with this much certainty. Could be a good sign and maybe a reason why he has been so involved with the franchise lately. From writing articles to interviewing on the radio and tv on behalf of the Bills. Could be a good sign eh?

Does anybody recall the article from last year. Basically Kelly said the exact same thing, but that he wasn't going to force RW's hand, but if RW was interested, Kelly would have everything in place.

As much as we all bicker and *****, I can the say the true concern that runs about 1 centimeter below everything is DON'T TAKE THIS ****ING TEAM FROM US...PLEASE, AND WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, OF COURSE. Sorry for yelling.

I know it is true for many fans, but if you would tell me that we weren't going anywhere, and that everything was going to be ok...then, I believe you see many posters nerves put at ease. I know it would mine.

QB, LT, LB, DE, DT...all of this means **** to me if this team leaves. ****.

As much as I want to hope that Jimbo, my personal all time favorite, gets this done, and that we're ok, I have to wait until it's official to get excited, but....whoah, Bubba, let me tell you how excited I would be.

trapezeus
10-15-2010, 09:33 AM
fine, you guys are all right. through beebe's hilarious sarcasm and people's insistance that somehow i want a personal notification of a plan, you've all convinced me that this is being handled with world class efficiency that most multi million company's that have a large impact on a region.

i defer to you all on all future posts and your further brilliance that I hope can be illuminated upon me.

Jan Reimers
10-15-2010, 09:36 AM
fine, you guys are all right. through beebe's hilarious sarcasm and people's insistance that somehow i want a personal notification of a plan, you've all convinced me that this is being handled with world class efficiency that most multi million company's that have a large impact on a region.

i defer to you all on all future posts and your further brilliance that I hope can be illuminated upon me.
No problem, trap. We'll take care of you.:crazy:

DynaPaul
10-15-2010, 11:33 AM
How does he even know that the investors he has lined up are still going to be good to go when Ralph finally passes? That's my big question.

DraftBoy
10-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Id like to see whoever the new ownership group is also come up with a plan for a new stadium that has local approval.

BertSquirtgum
10-15-2010, 11:56 AM
i don't give a **** about a new stadium as long as the bills remain in this area.

RockStar36
10-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Id like to see whoever the new ownership group is also come up with a plan for a new stadium that has local approval.

One step at a time.

Nighthawk
10-15-2010, 12:08 PM
One step at a time.

True, but Jim Kelly has even said in the past that for the Bills to stay, they will need a new stadium. IMO, if they stay, they will get a stadium...

mikemac2001
10-15-2010, 12:21 PM
the ralph is fine thats not the issue, the issue is we have sucked for ten years.

if we are winning that place will be rocking like before.

Throne Logic
10-15-2010, 12:29 PM

The Bills are not publicly traded. Not nearly as important.

wmoz11
10-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Isn't the lease up in 2012?

trapezeus
10-15-2010, 12:46 PM
i'm skeptical on stadium deals. especially in buffalo. a new owner won't have the cash to buy a team and then fund a new stadium.

it then becomes a NYS funding issue. and NYS is in a world of trouble. I'd say at 40 years, the ralph still has 10 years of useful life left.

a new stadium will be met with much higher prices in the tickets. are you ready for a team that is budget conscious also charging you 2-5x more for your seat?

BertSquirtgum
10-15-2010, 01:09 PM
not if they continue to suck as bad as they have for the past ten years. if prices were any higher than they are now.....the stadium would be completely empty.

RockStar36
10-15-2010, 01:42 PM
I personally wouldn't want a new stadium. All these new corporate stadiums suck the life out of the games and make it more of a business outing than a game.

I still remember the Bills/Cowboys MNF game and it was awesome to see the crowd the way they were. Part of that is because Buffalo still has an older stadium.

trapezeus
10-15-2010, 01:46 PM
new stadiums for some reason are about pushing the views away from the sideline. i love that at the ralph the corners of the endzones practically touch the seats. it makes it that more intimate. it makes the 12th man that more effective when the drive is near the endzone.

Zero
10-15-2010, 01:53 PM
I am very curious to see how this will all play out. I'm sure upon RW's passing there will be strong public outcry from the Buffalo area ( and even from people within the NFL) to keep the Bills in WNY. But the sad fact of the matter is that the only realistic hope we have of this team staying in Buffalo is if someone is able to purchase the team before Ralph dies. Money talks louder than anything and Jim Kelly and his group of investors will be easily outbid should this team hit the open market (unless he's got Trump in his group). Few obstacles will discourage someone from bringing a team to LA, be it building a new stadium, or whatever. There is entirley too much money to be made in that market for there not to be a team there. Make no mistake about this, the NFL and the owners WANT a team in LA because it will ensure everyone makes more money and thus directly impacting the value of each football franchise....

SABuffalo786
10-15-2010, 02:02 PM
I personally wouldn't want a new stadium. All these new corporate stadiums suck the life out of the games and make it more of a business outing than a game.

I still remember the Bills/Cowboys MNF game and it was awesome to see the crowd the way they were. Part of that is because Buffalo still has an older stadium.

Part and parcel of the new NFL.

If the Bills stay, we're getting a new, smaller WAY more expensive stadium.

There's a sick part of me that would be ok with the team going only because I hate the NFL so much and that I know we'd have to sell a part of our souls to get in on NFL 2.0

The Old School fan experience of working/lower middle class people going out to the stadium en masse, drinking, shouting and carrying on is over.

The NFL is a business in every sense of the word and they don't want our kind anymore.

Bill Simmons wrote a great column about it a year or two back.

Bill Cody
10-15-2010, 02:20 PM
"It's in limbo, because Mr. Wilson is still the owner of the Bills. He's still alive and kicking, thank God. He's a guy who's had that franchise for over 50 years, and he's had people come to him wanting to buy it and move it somewhere else. But he's been loyal to Western New York, and if that day comes when he decides, 'It's time for me to relinquish the ownership,'

If he was really loyal to Western NY and not to his heirs wringing every last dollar out of the sale the old coot would decide the time is NOW to relinquish ownership. Even putting aside the incertainty of where the team will be, the elephant in the room is no coach or GM with any serious credibility wants to work for a meddling senile old goat who hasn't had a coherent football thought since the time of leather helmets.

Throne Logic
10-15-2010, 04:04 PM
If he was really loyal to Western NY and not to his heirs wringing every last dollar out of the sale the old coot would decide the time is NOW to relinquish ownership. Even putting aside the incertainty of where the team will be, the elephant in the room is no coach or GM with any serious credibility wants to work for a meddling senile old goat who hasn't had a coherent football thought since the time of leather helmets.

If you owned the Bills, would you sell the team because a bunch of fans thought you should?

I sure as heck wouldn't. You'd have to pry the keys to OBD out of my cold dead fingers.

trapezeus
10-15-2010, 05:56 PM
If you owned the Bills, would you sell the team because a bunch of fans thought you should?

I sure as heck wouldn't. You'd have to pry the keys to OBD out of my cold dead fingers.

which is pretty much ralph's stance.

like real estate, his team's value declined the last two years. if he would have sold 3 years ago, he'd probably have $100MM for his pockets.

he, like many of the other owners, just assume that football team's values have to keep going up.

They are dangerously close to turning off a lot of fans, the NFL owners. this whole newstadium deals have closed out 30 year wait lists in the largest city in the US.

the PSL, the tickets, and now, even the commercials are endless and ruining the actual flow of a game. then tack on the fact that they make it impossible to get the ticket because of their deal with directv, and fans are just waiting to abandon them.

if they strike, i'm guessing a lot of nfl fans will make due with college football and be somewhat happy on how much they saved by skipping a year of their addiction.

I'm kind of rooting for this because the whole league takes itself way too seriously.

mikemac2001
10-15-2010, 06:34 PM
remember when players could have fun and entertain

Nighthawk
10-15-2010, 09:41 PM
i'm skeptical on stadium deals. especially in buffalo. a new owner won't have the cash to buy a team and then fund a new stadium.

it then becomes a NYS funding issue. and NYS is in a world of trouble. I'd say at 40 years, the ralph still has 10 years of useful life left.

a new stadium will be met with much higher prices in the tickets. are you ready for a team that is budget conscious also charging you 2-5x more for your seat?

I'm not being a dick, but it doesn't really matter that you think the Ralph is fine or that the Bills don't need a new stadium. People need to realize, the Bills will NOT be in Buffalo if there is not a new stadium built. Face reality people...no new stadium, no Bills in Buffalo. That's the way it is.

BertSquirtgum
10-16-2010, 12:48 PM
and you have to realize that there won't be a new stadium for at least 10 years.....

Philagape
10-16-2010, 03:24 PM
If new owners keep the Bills in Buffalo, it will be like getting a brand new team, because there isn't one now ..... :pray:

YardRat
10-16-2010, 08:02 PM
They are dangerously close to turning off a lot of fans, the NFL owners. this whole newstadium deals have closed out 30 year wait lists in the largest city in the US.

the PSL, the tickets, and now, even the commercials are endless and ruining the actual flow of a game. then tack on the fact that they make it impossible to get the ticket because of their deal with directv, and fans are just waiting to abandon them.

I can't vouch for how accurate this link is, but according to them the Giants have an approximate 20 year waiting list, and the Jets don't have one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_season_ticket_waiting_lists

Just a couple of personal notes regarding NY's new stadium...

I have a vendor/friend that I deal with on a regular basis from NYC, and anything he's ever indicated to me is that many Jets fans didn't re-up their season tix because of the PSLs, or were content to split the costs of seats and only get half of the games instead buying an entire package themselves.

I met a Jets fan this year at halftime, who had come up for the game. He and three of his friends, all former season tix holders, backed off this season and decided to attend four away games instead of eight home games, and figured they still be a bunch of money ahead. His first impression driving up to the Ralph was "Where the hell is the stadium?", and one of his buddies had to tell him that we basically dug a hole in the ground and put it there. His thoughts at half-time were full of compliments, regarding the sight lines, appearance, concessions, access/egress, etc. He thought the stadium was great, and commented that although the Meadowlands has a gaggle of bells and whistles, he'd of been just fine if the Jets/Giants put something up just like what we have here.

ServoBillieves
10-17-2010, 01:58 AM
I've read through a couple of the pages, skimming, and it's 3 AM here... so I'll just toss in my 2 cents.

If I win the Powerball (Pennsylvania annuity towards 45 mil) at somepoint, you're damn right that I'm going to toss some money towards Jim's plan.

Cleve
10-17-2010, 08:17 AM
I hate to rain on the Ralph Wilson Jr lovefest here, but if Wilson was indeed serious about keeping the team in Western NY or selling to Kelly's group then why wouldn't he announce a an official succession plan TODAY?

What exactly is stopping him from doing this? And if he actually intends to do this, why does he keep screwing around by dragging the process out and hurting the team's prospects of ever attracting a decent coach and decent players?

And actually, leaving the team in limbo without a succession plan hurts the market value of the team. Certainly the way the Bills are playing in the last 10 years has caused the open market value to drop. WE care about the Bills here in WNY, but if the team is sold and moved, what city or region would get excited about having such an awful team and shoddy front office organization landing on their doorstep? And what community or group of taxpayers outside WNY would be shelling out the big, big money to support the Bills arrival?

This is just talk and hearsay from Jim Kelly - the same stuff we've been hearing for years. As fans we need to dig past the ever so typical "Ralph's a jolly good fellow" rah-rah feel-good butt-licking stuff directed towards Wilson, and instead carefully examine what this guy Wilson is doing, and perhaps more importantly, what he hasn't done.

billz83
10-18-2010, 01:56 AM
PERFECT..ralph wilson ur time is up sell the ****** team already! jim kelly and company is READY and willing to keep them in buffalo which is basicly the main divide between fans..so if they stay in buffalo this team would benefit TREMENDOUSLY! with new owners. Get this thing going already..im tired of losing and having an owner who is comfortable with this decade of failure!