PDA

View Full Version : From the NFL

BillsNYC
06-16-2003, 03:44 PM
TO : NFL Staff and Member Clubs

DATE : June 16, 2003

SUBJECT : Public Showings of NFL Games

Through our enforcement efforts and review of submitted requests, we have noticed an increased effort by third parties to display televised broadcasts of NFL games to large groups of viewers in public forums such as movie theaters, event parties and outdoor festivals.

This memo is intended to reiterate the longstanding NFL policy specifically prohibiting such mass out-of-home viewing broadcasts — a policy the NFL (as copyright holder in NFL game telecasts) has the power to establish and enforce under the federal copyright laws. The NFL’s policy applies equally to all such broadcast events, regardless of whether admission is charged and regardless of whether the game to be shown is a home or away game. Further, this policy applies with equal force to the NFL itself, its Member Clubs and their respective sponsors and business partners.

The NFL has always sought to maximize the number of fans that attend games in person and view games at home. Packed stadiums and high television ratings are critical to the League’s success, enabling us to offer all of our regular season and post-season games on free over-the-air television – something no other sports league does. Likewise, it is in the interests of our network and advertising partners that we take steps to maximize the local and national ratings for our games by controlling the out-of-home viewing audience whose numbers are not measured by the rating system and, as such, we have received strong support from our network partners for this policy.

If you receive requests of this nature, are aware of any such public performances of our copyrighted product or have any questions concerning this policy, please contact Dave Proper in the Legal Department in New York at 212/450-2545.

Thank you in advance for your adherence to this policy.

lordofgun
06-16-2003, 03:48 PM
So that means no NYC Bills-backers gatherings?

And they do not offer all games on free-over the air broadcasting. Do they think ESPN SNF is free??? You need cable for that unless you live in an NFL city.

BillsNYC
06-16-2003, 03:50 PM
I already have an email in to the my contacts at One Bills Drive asking these questions...

Throne Logic
06-16-2003, 04:13 PM
So the NFL would like to put a large amount of bars out of business? By the way, does this include ESPN Zone?

And what about those folks who can't get local channels (reception in my area sucks) or don't want to pay for ESPN?

You want to fill stadiums? Than lower the friggin' ticket prices.

I can't believe the networks are supporting this whole-heartedly. They don't care if 50 people sit alone in their homes or gather in a bar to watch their commercials.

Does this mean I'm liable if I have a dozen friends over to watch the games at my house?

Starting to over-step their bounds, these No Fun League brass-types.

LtBillsFan66
06-16-2003, 04:16 PM
WTF!

Doesn't the NFL make money on TV deals and commercials? The same ***** people are watching the same ***** commercials and the same channel whether they are in a m'***** bar or in their house. M'FER!!!!!!!!!!! I'm ***** mad!

LtBillsFan66
06-16-2003, 04:18 PM
AH! THEY CAN'T ***** MEASURE RATINGS! THAT'S WHAT THIS IS OVER!?!? THOSE ***** MOTHER F'ERS!

Kelly The Dog
06-16-2003, 04:19 PM
This seems like it wouldn't apply to bars and Bills Backers clubs at bars. The bars already pay for their viewership via the NFL season ticket depending upon the size of the place and number of viewers, patrons, etc. This is something different, looking at unauthorized use.

LtBillsFan66
06-16-2003, 04:22 PM
Yeah, maybe I overreacted. Lets see what BillsNYC's 1BD contacts say. :D

BillsNYC
06-16-2003, 04:26 PM
I got an email back...they're gonna figure this out and let me know.

imbondz
06-16-2003, 04:40 PM
bf1 :bf1: not an overraction. what is an event party? i can't throw a party and invite 100 people over to watch a game on directtv that is blacked out on regular t.v.?

Michael82
06-18-2003, 11:35 AM
What kind of **** is this? Does this mean that when the SuperBowl is on? We can't hold big parties with 100s of people to watch the Bills beat the crap out of the NFC? :angry:ing NFL!!!

mybills
06-18-2003, 11:49 AM
:idea: if you can get the channel at home, but want to watch it at a bar with others, turn all of your tv's on and leave. :idunno:

BillsNYC
06-18-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by mybills
:idea: if you can get the channel at home, but want to watch it at a bar with others, turn all of your tv's on and leave. :idunno:

BRIIIIIIIIIIILIANT!!!! :lol:

LtBillsFan66
06-18-2003, 08:33 PM
lol

Good thinking mybills.

Demon
06-18-2003, 08:56 PM
I don't understand how this rankings junk works? People like me and most of us dont count in the rankings system. I don't have a Nielson Ranking box and i dont even know anyone who is in a "Nielson family" or i dont even know anyone who knows anyone with a nielson box.

All i know is NFL will never stop bars from viewing games because where i go to is packed all the time and i know my freind goes to a different bar and thats always packed too.

venis2k1
06-18-2003, 09:02 PM
My family is a Nielson family.

TigerJ
06-18-2003, 09:19 PM
I guess you'd better keep your TV tuned in to Bills games then, venis.

The NFL is doing nothing different from what they've always done IMO. Fans are going to continue doing the things they've always done. Once in a while someone is going to get caught, mostly bars that are able to show blacked out home games. I think fans who invite friends over to watch together are safe. The NFL Gestapo just isn't that good to be able to track down individual fans who have parties. I'm not worried, but then watching the Bills is usually a solo affair for me.

Demon
06-18-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
My family is a Nielson family.

lol seriously?

Please keep your tv on channel Fox Sports World please :D

venis2k1
06-18-2003, 09:31 PM
All i really watch is sports shows, and comedy central

ublinkwescore
06-20-2003, 05:45 PM
All I watch is the Sci-Fi Channel, Comedy Central, and I'll put it on ESPN News for the little ticker at the bottom of the screen to see the NFL news if there's any. Sometimes I watch the Travel Channel - they've got this show called billionaire toys - these billionaires are lame - if I had that kind of money I'd be enjoying the greatest life ever lived - I'd probably end up in hell when it's all over, but I'd make it worthwhile.