PDA

View Full Version : We have priority in the race for Merriman

BILLSROCK1212
10-17-2010, 10:47 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/17/san-francisco-could-be-merrimans-next-team/

Chances are San Fran will win before us. So Merriman is as good as ours if we want him.

IAG
10-17-2010, 10:53 AM
He will retire if we claimed him. LOL.

RockStar36
10-17-2010, 10:55 AM
I don't care how much he's struggled recently, I think the Bills would be stupid to not make a play for him. Merriman on one leg would be an improvement over the LBs the Bills are rolling out.

jamze132
10-17-2010, 11:22 AM
If Nix and Gailey are serious about getting some talent on the defense, they need to place a claim on him. Yeah, he's injured and whatnot but at the least he could bring something valuable with him... experience and knowledge.

Tbuffalobills
10-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Make sure there is a bag full of Roids waiting for him in Buffalo....He's been usless in San Diego since he got busted two years ago

Injured all of 2008
Injured Half of 2009
Injured This Season

yea..this guy fits our mold..lets sign him

Night Train
10-17-2010, 11:29 AM
If Nix and Gailey are serious about getting some talent on the defense, they need to place a claim on him. Yeah, he's injured and whatnot but at the least he could bring something valuable with him... experience and knowledge.

Lately, his experience & knowlwedge has been the IR list and Roids.. but I'd still take a chance.

He may need a year to mend before regaining his old form...if he ever does. Low risk signing.

ddaryl
10-17-2010, 11:44 AM
I agree worth the chance, and a sub par Merriman is still the best LB we wold have on the team

more cowbell
10-17-2010, 12:45 PM
We wont put in a claim for him because "he'll want too much money"

despite the fact we have gotten rid of Mitchell, Lynch, Edwards, Schobel clearing up even more money on top of the giant amount we didn't use already to bring in talent.

djjimkelly
10-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Make sure there is a bag full of Roids waiting for him in Buffalo....He's been usless in San Diego since he got busted two years ago

Injured all of 2008
Injured Half of 2009
Injured This Season

yea..this guy fits our mold..lets sign him

if he comes to ontario ill give him some of mine :)

X-Era
10-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Absolutely should put in a claim on him:

Given his choice, San Diego Chargers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/sd/san-diego-chargers) linebacker Shawne Merriman (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8427) would like to play in Baltimore, Miami or Dallas. But in all likelihood, he will not have his choice, at least not yet. And if the Chargers release Merriman on or past Tuesday's NFL trade deadline, he first must clear waivers, which will open the door for another team to claim him and his $3.269 million contract.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog?name=schefter_adam&id=5696079

3.269 mill? We waste more than that on much lesser talent. Thats cheap for a guy thats 26. We need help on the pass rush, he's good friends with Maybin (maybe he gets his ass in gear too), and we need help at LB'er.

Makes too much sense... Hence why we wont do it.

BTW, the 49'ers have a good chance for a win today, would then be 1 and 5, and we would win the claim.

X-Era
10-17-2010, 01:40 PM

Injured all of 2008
Injured Half of 2009
Injured This Season

yea..this guy fits our mold..lets sign himIf you can argue that claiming him would hurt us I might agree. There's no downside when your this bad.

X-Era
10-17-2010, 01:41 PM
We wont put in a claim for him because "he'll want too much money"

despite the fact we have gotten rid of Mitchell, Lynch, Edwards, Schobel clearing up even more money on top of the giant amount we didn't use already to bring in talent.Read my link. It would cost us 3.269 mill... why the hell not.

Saratoga Slim
10-17-2010, 02:01 PM
26? That is a lot younger than I thought he was. Interesting...

Saratoga Slim
10-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Even if he never performs like he did, he provides some attitude for the defense. I think good defenses need at least one marginally psychotic personality.

X-Era
10-17-2010, 02:12 PM
26? That is a lot younger than I thought he was. Interesting...

Yep, 26:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8427

I mean even if he ends up not working out you cut him. At 3.27 mill, we can afford to just cut him.

To me it makes a ton of sense. I will be shocked if we make a claim. And I hope Nix or Gailey gets pressed on why not when we dont. I'd love to hear how your working every day and looking at all ways to make your team better but you pass on him when he would be our best or a top LB'er day one.

Billz_fan
10-17-2010, 02:30 PM
What happened to only using the draft to build the team ?? :D

The Plan ?

T-Long
10-17-2010, 03:10 PM
how many years are left on his contract?

more cowbell
10-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Read my link. It would cost us 3.269 mill... why the hell not.

my point exactly...theyll think thats too expensive eventhough we have idiots like spencer johnson maybin and others making more than that

X-Era
10-17-2010, 04:13 PM
how many years are left on his contract?I think its his last year so he would have to be resigned after the year if we chose.

Michael82
10-17-2010, 04:39 PM
It makes too much sense for the Bills not to claim him. He's a young Linebacker that can rush the passer and make plays in a 3-4, basically the opposite of all our other useless LBs. If Buddy Nix had anything to do with drafting him, don't be surprised to see the Bills put in a claim. Maybe that's why they waived Chris Ellis.... :idunno:

PromoTheRobot
10-17-2010, 04:44 PM
He will KILL HIMSELF if we claimed him. LOL.

Fixed. Seriously, if Miami and Dallas are on his wish list he would gnaw off his own leg before joining the Bills.

PTR

methos4ever
10-17-2010, 04:45 PM
And if we claimed him, and then didn't re-sign him due to him not being up to snuff, we can still get a comp pick for him...

Canadian'eh!
10-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Does it make total sense for the Bills to claim him and check him out. (maybe he sucks without roids, maybe he's just had a an unlucky injury run a la Ladanian.)

But do they ever do things that make sense?

Mad Max
10-17-2010, 07:08 PM
On the surface it seems like a no brainer. Even though I as well as some others that have seen his recent play think he's done, it seems like a low/no risk pick up.

If you think about it though, what exactly do we have to gain? We wouldn't sign him (nor would he agree to) a multi-year deal when he came in so in the unlikely event that he returns to his former beastly self, "he gone" at seasons end to greener pastures. And forget about the "he'll be a role model/teacher" to our young guys. What? First of all this guy is not a role model, secondly he's 26, he'll want to play not teach.

In the mean time we lose reps for the shmos that we will have on roster at least for one more season, namely Maybin, and we may win one maybe two close games because of his play (buh-bye Luck).

If he had 2 years left after this season it would have been a worthwhile gamble. As it is it's just grasping at straws, much like the T.O. signing...to what end? (other than to generate temporary excitement and possibly fill a few seats for a couple for curiosity games)

X-Era
10-17-2010, 07:15 PM
On the surface it seems like a no brainer. Even though I as well as some others that have seen his recent play think he's done, it seems like a low/no risk pick up.

If you think about it though, what exactly do we have to gain? We wouldn't sign him (nor would he agree to) a multi-year deal when he came in so in the unlikely event that he returns to his former beastly self, "he gone" at seasons end to greener pastures. And forget about the "he'll be a role model/teacher" to our young guys. What? First of all this guy is not a role model, secondly he's 26, he'll want to play not teach.

In the mean time we lose reps for the shmos that we will have on roster at least for one more season, namely Maybin, and we may win one maybe two close games because of his play (buh-bye Luck).

If he had 2 years left after this season it would have been a worthwhile gamble. As it is it's just grasping at straws, much like the T.O. signing...to what end? (other than to generate temporary excitement and possibly fill a few seats for a couple for curiosity games)I would do it if we felt we had a legit shot at getting him to resign with us. I think thats possible. But if its just to try to help for this year, I agree it may not be worth it.

T-Long
10-17-2010, 07:19 PM
What role does Carolina play in this? They are 0-5 as well heading into this week

BertSquirtgum
10-17-2010, 07:22 PM
bring him in buddy. show me you're serious about winning.

Mad Max
10-17-2010, 07:27 PM
I would do it if we felt we had a legit shot at getting him to resign with us. I think thats possible. But if its just to try to help for this year, I agree it may not be worth it.

Sure it's possible. But how probable would it be? He reverts to all-pro play do you honestly think that A.) he'll want to stay in Buffalo, and B.) that we won't get outbid by at least 2 or 3 of the usual suspects.

This signing will most likely never come to pass anyway, but if it does I think it can only benefit Merriman (in order to showcase himself..if indeed he has anything to showcase).

As an aside, is San Diego just pulling a douche move by waiting until after the deadline to release him..so as to have him put on waivers rather than allowing him to become a FA. Or is there a legit cap related reason. Just smells very vinegary.

X-Era
10-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Sure it's possible. But how probable would it be? He reverts to all-pro play do you honestly think that A.) he'll want to stay in Buffalo, and B.) that we won't get outbid by at least 2 or 3 of the usual suspects.

This signing will most likely never come to pass anyway, but if it does I think it can only benefit Merriman (in order to showcase himself..if indeed he has anything to showcase).

As an aside, is San Diego just pulling a douche move by waiting until after the deadline to release him..so as to have him put on waivers rather than allowing him to become a FA. Or is there a legit cap related reason. Just smells very vinegary.Players will sign here. Would it be someone like Merriman? I have no idea. I would think Nix being and x-SD guy and Maybin being a friend would help.

Ultimately though, I dont know what motivates him. If its winning now, he probably wont be interested.

mrbojanglezs
10-17-2010, 07:34 PM
they might as well put a waiver for him, like a free trade

Bulldog
10-18-2010, 11:38 AM
They won't put in a claim and then Chris Brown will post something about Nix's familiarity with Merriman and how it was actually a good move for the Bills to pass on his services.

psubills62
10-18-2010, 11:40 AM
There's a race?

trapezeus
10-18-2010, 11:44 AM
i think it costs next to nothing, we have the worst lb core in the nfl, some of whom are injured to boot.

merriman can come in and suck and its a small amount of cash.
merrican can come in and prove he's good again.

Players do appreciate loyalty. if we claim him at his low and offer a decent contract after letting him return to glory, he'll stay.

i have no idea if he'll be good or not, but we aren't giving anything up to get him. We can also see what poz is like with a good player (if merriman plays well).

There is more good to come out of this than bad. we already are bad.