PDA

View Full Version : Whitner

DesertFox24
10-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Does everyone realize this guys just turned 25. Granted this guy is what he is but he is a hard worker and a good player. I also think he is tired of the losing and really wants to turn the bills around and wants to to be a team leader.

I personally hope we keep him because we need a bunch of hard working guys that want to win and are tired of losing.

Hell he is better than Kelsay and they pretty much gave Kelsay an extension for working hard and being a good leader.

Also I wonder if Whitner would be more productive with a better front 7 in front of him, we know he can tackle and hit hard.

T-Long
10-18-2010, 08:49 AM
I wish every player had his passion on the field, but his production isn't there. When does he ever make a "big" play? Very rarely. For a guy who was taken in the top 10 needs to be a game changer. He's not. Granted, it's not his fault where he was drafted, but he can control his production. If this regime is big on rewarding leaders on this team, then he will be given a contract extension in my opinion.

Stewie
10-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Whitner and the rest of the secondary are fine, we have no QB pressure

seanbillsfan
10-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Whitner and the rest of the secondary are fine, we have no QB pressure
That's where it all starts. Give the qb all day to throw and he's gonna find open receivers

DesertFox24
10-18-2010, 09:14 AM
I wish every player had his passion on the field, but his production isn't there. When does he ever make a "big" play? Very rarely. For a guy who was taken in the top 10 needs to be a game changer. He's not. Granted, it's not his fault where he was drafted, but he can control his production. If this regime is big on rewarding leaders on this team, then he will be given a contract extension in my opinion.

T-long I agree with you on the big plays but there is no pass rush and out front 7 is the big problem.

I think this guy needs to stay.

Can you imagine how much fun this guy would be if we start winning and being a winning program.

mikemac2001
10-18-2010, 09:16 AM
It's not whiteners fault where he was drafted

Stop blaming him for not making plays bc he was drafted top ten

He needs to make
Plays bc
He is our starting safety though and needs to step his
Play up to
Match his talk

T-Long
10-18-2010, 09:43 AM
It's not whiteners fault where he was drafted

Stop blaming him for not making plays bc he was drafted top ten

He needs to make
Plays bc
He is our starting safety though and needs to step his
Play up to
Match his talk
Hope that wasn't geared towards me because that is exactly what I wrote in my initial post. I am not blaming him because it isn't his fault where he was drafted. But you have to acknowledge where he was drafted based on his production. Look at Kyle Williams. He was a steal in round 5 and people always say that. It does become a topic of discussion when talking about a specific player.

You don't think people discuss Brady being a 6th rounder? It's out there all the time. Would Ryan Leaf even be discussed if he wasn't Top 5 pick?

DesertFox24
10-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Hope that wasn't geared towards me because that is exactly what I wrote in my initial post. I am not blaming him because it isn't his fault where he was drafted. But you have to acknowledge where he was drafted based on his production. Look at Kyle Williams. He was a steal in round 5 and people always say that. It does become a topic of discussion when talking about a specific player.

You don't think people discuss Brady being a 6th rounder? It's out there all the time. Would Ryan Leaf even be discussed if he wasn't Top 5 pick?

Look the guy is a starter and has started since he has been here, we need to resign him and keep him. Letting him walk does nothing for us but take a talented player off of our roster. Whitner is good enough to be on every roster in the NFL, whether he started is another thing but he is good enough to be on every teams 53.

The only way for us to get better is to get a much more talented 53, and not resigning young players that are solid is stupid.

Beebe's Kid
10-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Whitner needs to "STFU" already.

He didn't make a single tackle yesterday. Not one!!!

I have had it with him. I can pick, at least one play per game that completely proves he is worthless. I don't care if he is one of our best tacklers...tackling is a worthless stat...you don't need to tackle. What you need is interceptions!!!! That is all that matters.

I miss the weekly call out of Donte...

Fox, I share your view of DW. He would, I feel, be a nice part of a good defense. He is good, as far as I see, now, but would benefit to almost no end if the F7 were holding up there end of the bargain.

I would guess that the FO probably doesn't see Whitner as part of the problem. A guy like him is way more part of the solution.

The hate for him is just an extension of the frustration with this team.

T-Long
10-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Look the guy is a starter and has started since he has been here, we need to resign him and keep him. Letting him walk does nothing for us but take a talented player off of our roster. Whitner is good enough to be on every roster in the NFL, whether he started is another thing but he is good enough to be on every teams 53.

The only way for us to get better is to get a much more talented 53, and not resigning young players that are solid is stupid.

Read what I wrote earlier. I think they do re-sign him when his contract is up.

If this regime is big on rewarding leaders on this team, then he will be given a contract extension in my opinion.

methos4ever
10-18-2010, 10:21 AM
He can void his contract this year. So we'll find out fairly soon whether or not he's valued by the FO more than some of the fanbase.

BidsJr
10-18-2010, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=Beebe's Kid]He didn't make a single tackle yesterday. Not one!!! QUOTE]

He also helped the Defense to a franchise record of 0 yards allowed rushing and passing!

DesertFox24
10-18-2010, 10:22 AM

Not calling you out bro, it is the other guys that do not understand we need the best 53.

I am not saying Donte should start or not but he needs to be on this team.

OpIv37
10-18-2010, 10:24 AM
We need guys who work hard and want to win AND have talent. Working hard and wanting to win aren't enough- if it was, we wouldn't be 0-5.

trapezeus
10-18-2010, 10:24 AM
i'm transitioning from hating donte whitner to just feeling bad for him.

i don't think he has the talent to be the player he talks about being. i don't think he intentionally misses plays. i just think that he can't make plays.

he's not the biggest issue on the D, but he is one of many positions where if there was an upgrade, i'd take it.

I wouldn't resign him to a big contract.

justasportsfan
10-18-2010, 10:29 AM
TE's are having career days because Whitner is a liability when it comes to covering them.

mikemac2001
10-18-2010, 10:42 AM

Yes but to use that as whitner should be a superstar because he is a top 10 pick means nothing . jamarcus russel should be a MVP of the league because he was the number 1 pick in the draft.

all i want whitner to be is a solid player thats what we need right now.

TacklingDummy
10-18-2010, 10:55 AM
If they had a Hall of Fame for pile jumping Whitner would be first ballet.

DesertFox24
10-18-2010, 11:05 AM
TE's are having career days because Whitner is a liability when it comes to covering them.

No because Kelsay is covering them.

justasportsfan
10-18-2010, 11:07 AM
No because Kelsay is covering them.
They've also put Scott or someone else on TE's because Whitner is getting burned.

malvado78
10-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Also I wonder if Whitner would be more productive with a better front 7 in front of him, we know he can tackle and hit hard.
I agree wiht your sentiment. The issue is Whitner has never done anything he is an ELITE talent. I want ELITE talent at all position son this team. With that said Whitner is among the last of the Bills need to address currently.

Hell he is better than Kelsay and they pretty much gave Kelsay an extension for working hard and being a good leader.

Just FYI this is a poor point to back your argument with...

RoscoeMagic
10-18-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't care if he's 25 or 35. If the light hasn't turned on by now for Donte after 4+ years as a starter then it will never happen.

You don't learn how to cover overnight. He just doesn't have it. He can make big hits...that's about as far as it goes.

DesertFox24
10-18-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't care if he's 25 or 35. If the light hasn't turned on by now for Donte after 4+ years as a starter then it will never happen.

You don't learn how to cover overnight. He just doesn't have it. He can make big hits...that's about as far as it goes.

That is not my point, he can not control the fact we can not stop the run or rush the passer.

Quarterback hurries lead to picks, and stopping the run force long yardage situations which are where picks happen.

I like Donte and think he needs to stay no he is not elite but like I said he is good enough to be on every other NFL roster so why should we get rid of him.

RoscoeMagic
10-18-2010, 12:30 PM
That is not my point, he can not control the fact we can not stop the run or rush the passer.

Quarterback hurries lead to picks, and stopping the run force long yardage situations which are where picks happen.

I like Donte and think he needs to stay no he is not elite but like I said he is good enough to be on every other NFL roster so why should we get rid of him.

I'm sure Cary Harris would be a legit safety if we had an amazing pass rush and front 7. Look at the player Jim Leonard became.

So what is your point? Besides empathizing with Whitner for not living up to his status and making excuses for his poor play?

Should we get rid of him? Frankly I don't care, he can be easily replaced.

RoscoeMagic
10-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Whitner looked like piss his whole career. Even when we had a decent pass rush....or at least decent enough to make McGee/Byrd/all the other good DBs we had, look like real players. Whitner can't cover, face it please.

DesertFox24
10-18-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm sure Cary Harris would be a legit safety if we had an amazing pass rush and front 7. Look at the player Jim Leonard became.

So what is your point? Besides empathizing with Whitner for not living up to his status and making excuses for his poor play?

Should we get rid of him? Frankly I don't care, he can be easily replaced.

Thank you for proving my point with Jim Leanord.

Also why replace a player when you already have a decent one there, that seems counter productive to me, like when we let Fletcher, Pat Williams, Sammy Morris, Winfield, and Wiley leave. If the guys are good and are not wanting other wordly money (see Nate) then they should stay. Which, I think is going to happen because Buddy said he would rather pay his own players.

Bravo82
10-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Finally someone on this board with some sense. Donte is a legitimate NFL starter (not a superstar) among a team full of scrubs.

Bravo82
10-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Whitner looked like piss his whole career. Even when we had a decent pass rush....or at least decent enough to make McGee/Byrd/all the other good DBs we had, look like real players. Whitner can't cover, face it please.

:nono: :nono: :nono:

DesertFox24
10-18-2010, 12:38 PM

He was hurt last year, but he did have 2 picks one returned for a TD.

Also you guys hate him because of where he was drafted, if you were to take that out of the equation you guys would think he is a decent player and should be kept.

It is not his fault Levy drafted for need.

The guy has something like 48 tackles in 5 games a forced fumble and fumble recovery and he has heart and wants to win. We need guys like to step and be team leaders and call people out that are not pissed they lose or pissed we are getting run over like an 80 year grandmother on black friday.

DesertFox24
10-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Finally someone on this board with some sense. Donte is a legitimate NFL starter (not a superstar) among a team full of scrubs.

People on this board seem to forget there are 53 people on a roster and the team with the best 53 has a tendency to win more than they lose.

Like you said Whitner is good solid not elite, and will not be elite. That being said he needs to be on this team and given a 4 to 5 year extension.

Bravo82
10-18-2010, 12:41 PM

Also you guys hate him because of where he was drafted, if you were to take that out of the equation you guys would think he is a decent player and should be kept.

The guy has something like 48 tackles in 5 games a forced fumble and fumble recovery and he has heart and wants to win. We need guys like to step and be team leaders and call people out that are not pissed they lose or pissed we are getting run over like an 80 year grandmother on black friday.

You make some good points...but pay no attention to that RoscoeMagic clown...guy is just a troll that likes to stir up trouble...personally, I would block that clown altogether.

RoscoeMagic
10-18-2010, 12:46 PM

I don't give a crap where he was drafted.

I hate Chris Kelsay, not cause he was a 2nd round pick...CAUSE HE ****ING SUCKS and keeps starting...same reason I can't stand Whitner's play...he can't even stick with an average TE and he keeps starting. He will not magically get better. It seems to me like you just want to stick with him cause he was a first round pick..double standard much?

RoscoeMagic
10-18-2010, 12:49 PM
People on this board seem to forget there are 53 people on a roster and the team with the best 53 has a tendency to win more than they lose.

Like you said Whitner is good solid not elite, and will not be elite. That being said he needs to be on this team and given a 4 to 5 year extension.

I don't think he's good at all. All the man can do is tackle and make "big" hits that are 10 yards after the first down marker.

For a hard hitting saftey, he sure can't blitz and make plays behind the LOS. And he can't cover. He is about 1/7th of what's wrong with this defense that has about 4 legitimate starters, he's not one of them.

RoscoeMagic
10-18-2010, 12:50 PM
You make some good points...but pay no attention to that RoscoeMagic clown...guy is just a troll that likes to stir up trouble...personally, I would block that clown altogether.

If someone checks your post history, I'm sure that post of yours will be disregarded in a second.

Bravo82
10-18-2010, 12:56 PM
If someone checks your post history, I'm sure that post of yours will be disregarded in a second.

:ill: :ill: :ill:

Historian
10-18-2010, 12:58 PM
He's a poor man's Henry Jones....which I suppose is better than being a poor man's Mark Kelso....but is nowhere near what the Bills need: A poor man's Leonard Smith.

Got that?

DesertFox24
10-18-2010, 01:06 PM
He's a poor man's Henry Jones....which I suppose is better than being a poor man's Mark Kelso....but is nowhere near what the Bills need: A poor man's Leonard Smith.

Got that?
LOL

The guy needs to be on the team though.

You know I am not even sure why I started this thread, maybe it is because Whitner is the bill featured on the bills calendar in my cubicle, and I have been looking at him for 11 straight days (no weekends), lol.

No in all serious the guy gets a lot of crap and he is solid and it is all because of where he was drafted. Oh and I agree if you draft a safety in the first round he has to be elite, but he is a good enough player to be on this team.

Also I could be wrong but I only remember him blitzing one time against the pats in a short and goal situation. Someone please let me know if I am wrong.

RoscoeMagic
10-18-2010, 01:16 PM
LOL

The guy needs to be on the team though.

You know I am not even sure why I started this thread, maybe it is because Whitner is the bill featured on the bills calendar in my cubicle, and I have been looking at him for 11 straight days (no weekends), lol.

No in all serious the guy gets a lot of crap and he is solid and it is all because of where he was drafted. Oh and I agree if you draft a safety in the first round he has to be elite, but he is a good enough player to be on this team.

Also I could be wrong but I only remember him blitzing one time against the pats in a short and goal situation. Someone please let me know if I am wrong.
You know why the DC doesn't send certain guys to blitz often? Because they can't blitz.

How does he need to be on the team? Explain this one. He's a symbol of mediocrity and failure just like Trent Edwards and Chris Kelsay yet we cut one and extend the other. Who knows what the FO clows will do with Whitner...

It's obvious a pass rush is needed first. Been saying that since Schobel retired. Maybin hasn't stepped up that's part of the problem. The other part is Nix thinkin Torbor and Kelsay can get the job done (and drafting Troup over Kindle).

patmoran2006
10-18-2010, 01:21 PM
You wanna bet ? ;)

Dr. Lecter
10-18-2010, 01:23 PM
You wanna bet ? ;)
If they let him go after extending Kelsay, I will throw a fit.

DesertFox24
10-18-2010, 01:27 PM
You know why the DC doesn't send certain guys to blitz often? Because they can't blitz.

How does he need to be on the team? Explain this one. He's a symbol of mediocrity and failure just like Trent Edwards and Chris Kelsay yet we cut one and extend the other. Who knows what the FO clows will do with Whitner...

It's obvious a pass rush is needed first. Been saying that since Schobel retired. Maybin hasn't stepped up that's part of the problem. The other part is Nix thinkin Torbor and Kelsay can get the job done (and drafting Troup over Kindle).

Oh I agree that Kelsay and Torbor are not the answers at OLB. I think Torbor is a decent BACKUP because of his versatility and he can play STs, Kelsay I can not justify it at all and will not try, I was shocked when he got extended.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but had we drafted Kindell we would not have our 2nd rounder now. Also he only signed a one year deal so whats to say we could not sign if Baltimore lets him leave.

Lastly OL and DL are usually better if draft early, LBs are kind of like RBs you can get production anywhere in the draft if you have a good line in front. However, you do need at least one premier pass rusher and we do not have it.

DesertFox24
10-18-2010, 01:29 PM
You wanna bet ? ;)

Pat why would they not resign him and resign Kelsay.

They claimed Kelsay was a leader and a hard worker and could show the young guys how to put time in and work.

Donte does all of that.

Granted I know Wilson was productive as a SS, and if they are high on him why is he not playing?

Philagape
10-18-2010, 01:35 PM
I'd keep him if he doesn't want a big raise; he is average and replaceable like all the rest.

patmoran2006
10-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Pat why would they not resign him and resign Kelsay.

They claimed Kelsay was a leader and a hard worker and could show the young guys how to put time in and work.

Donte does all of that.

Granted I know Wilson was productive as a SS, and if they are high on him why is he not playing?
I dont know anything to be a fact, but I think and have heard both parties are eager for a fresh start.

Also remember, the Bills have two other safeties (Wilson and Scott) who given the playing time are as equally productive at safety and at far less the cost. Bills inked Bryan Scott to a 2-year deal last offseason, in fact he was the first player they took care of.

In Nix's defense, if he gave well above average money to Whitner with the numbers he puts up, people would lose their minds (generally speaking).

The biggest issue is NOBODY can figure out how in God's name kelsay got his deal.

DesertFox24
10-18-2010, 01:39 PM
I dont know anything to be a fact, but I think and have heard both parties are eager for a fresh start.

Also remember, the Bills have two other safeties (Wilson and Scott) who given the playing time are as equally productive at safety and at far less the cost. Bills inked Bryan Scott to a 2-year deal last offseason, in fact he was the first player they took care of.

In Nix's defense, if he gave well above average money to Whitner with the numbers he puts up, people would lose their minds (generally speaking).

The biggest issue is NOBODY can figure out how in God's name kelsay got his deal.

If Whitner got somewhere in top 15 strong safety money I would be ok with that. If he signed for Troy P money Ed Reed Rolle I would lose it.

patmoran2006
10-18-2010, 02:39 PM
If Whitner got somewhere in top 15 strong safety money I would be ok with that. If he signed for Troy P money Ed Reed Rolle I would lose it.

Wouldnt you much rather have Wilson and Scott man his spot, and take whatever they'd spend on him and sign a Top 15 LB or DE instead?