PDA

View Full Version : Bills Sign Guard

AndyC34
06-16-2003, 05:25 PM
According to V-Coach on my phone, the bills have signed guard Ross Tucker. He played in three games with Washington as a Rookie, and another three last year.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235387

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the update. Too bad there isn't anybody special for us to spend our money on this year.

I don't see why we're not re-signing anybody. I don't wanna let 2-3 million dollars go to waste.

justasportsfan
06-16-2003, 05:31 PM
beat me by 2 mins. Andy

G. Host
06-16-2003, 05:31 PM
He played quite a number more than 3 last year. He started for Dallas for 7 games, almost a half year. (I believe Buffalo Bills site as usual has mistakes and V-Coach gets it from Buffalo Bills site).

[QUOTE]Tucker, 24, started the final seven games for the Cowboys at left guard in 2002, replacing injured star Larry Allen in the lineup. He performed well and it was regarded as at least a mild surprise when the Cowboys released him two weeks ago.[\QUOTE]

I do not know if anyone saw Tucker's play on ESPN but he saved a touchdown on a fumble recovery for Dallas last year. QB Hutchenson (sp?) messed up and fumbled it and Tucker fell on it taking the safety rather than doing the risky thing attempting to take it out of endzone and having opposing team recover it for a a touhdown.

The save managed to be the difference in Dallas winning game vs. Jacksonville. It also prevented the momentum from changing to Jacksonville. Don't know why I remember it so well but I do remember thinking Hutchenson was a bozo and Tucker saved his bacon at the time.

Good heads up play. Not a surprise since he came from Princeton. The guy is supposed to be a decent special teams player as well and played DL before OL which is a good sign for a ST player.

G. Host
06-16-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by PA Season Ticket Holder
Thanks for the update. Too bad there isn't anybody special for us to spend our money on this year.

I don't see why we're not re-signing anybody. I don't wanna let 2-3 million dollars go to waste.

What if there is an injury in training camp?
They need money to fund any positions which open up even if it is after Game 1.

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-16-2003, 05:39 PM
That takes about 2 million at the most. We currently have about 6 million.

We have a couple million to spare. Lets re-sign Winfield or something.

venis2k1
06-16-2003, 07:06 PM
Spending money just because you can is what gets you into cap trouble.

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Not if you use it to keep valuable players.

The_Philster
06-16-2003, 07:16 PM
Not if you use it to keep valuable players.

Sounds like you graduated from the John Butler School of Capology :snicker:

;)

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-16-2003, 07:21 PM
So when you have extra money, it's stupid to give a good player a little more in a certain year so his cap figure would be cheaper the next year?

John Butler signed average players to MVP contracts. There's a big difference in that.

There's nobody out there to use money on now. Why not use it on our own players instead of letting it go to waste.

The_Philster
06-16-2003, 07:23 PM
As long as it doesn't get crazy is all I'm saying. One man's valuable player is another man's average player. Sam Rogers was a good player for us and deserved to get paid as a good player. But Butler paid him as a great player.

lordofgun
06-16-2003, 07:31 PM
You don't get into cap trouble by signing good players to fair contracts.

Doc
06-16-2003, 07:46 PM
Usually teams keep $1M at most for an injury fund. Now when the season rolls around and the Bills are stil well below the cap, it would be wise to give some guys more money this year in order to reduce the cap hit in future years. I think you can do that, and I don't believe you can carry-over a cap overage (roll-over cap dollars, for you Cingular users!) to the following year.

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-16-2003, 07:49 PM
We have between 3-4 million to keep aside for draft picks and the injury fund. That will leave us with about 1.5 million just laying around.

Tatonka
06-16-2003, 09:47 PM
i agree with pa .. spend it on the guys we got already.

how nice would it be to win the superbowl, and have the exact same roster locked up for a few more years.. dynasty?

Bert102176
06-16-2003, 09:56 PM
I say we should give Winfield a 4 to 5 year extension and the do the same for Clements

HenryRules
06-16-2003, 09:57 PM
If we're gonna spend it on guys we already have, we have plenty of time to do that. There's no reason to renegotiate their contracts so they're more frontloaded until we have to ... we might as well keep the cap space until the last possible moment and then use it on current players.

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-16-2003, 11:54 PM
We don't need to extend Clements. We have him for 3 more years.

If I had to choose one of the other, I'd take Clements though.

venis2k1
06-17-2003, 12:04 AM
If I had to choose one of the other, I'd take Clements though.

I would also, i see clements as one of the top 5 CBs in the NFL.

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-17-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by venis2k1

He's not right now but he could be in a couple years. He's a gamebreaker.

Demon
06-17-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by venis2k1

Really tuff to say.

Teams don't pass to Winfield's side because he covers the WR so good, which leaves more balls to Clements. Also, Winfield tackles MUCH better then Clements which Gregg Williams makes Winfield cover inside because he plays the zone, so if they run or pass in the middle, Winfield can be there to tackle.

I would love to see Buffalo not play the zone and allow boths corners do their jobs. I don't think Clements is better then Winfield, but if Williams is a winner this season he will stay for atleast the next few years, so then i would definetly pick Clements because all Williams will do is play Winfield inside, which down plays his telent.

TypicalBill
06-17-2003, 01:09 AM
Resign Winfield and extend Moorman's contract (long term)

WG
06-17-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by AndyC34
According to V-Coach on my phone, the bills have signed guard Ross Tucker.

He's gotta be injured then, right!

:D

justasportsfan
06-17-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

He's gotta be injured then, right!

:D

:lol: