PDA

View Full Version : Merrimen

patmoran2006
10-18-2010, 07:12 PM
IF and this is a HUGEEEEE If, the Bills want Shawne Merrimen, at least for this year. He's all but theirs (let me emphasize HUGE if)

Per Schefter, the Chargers didn't cut him today.

which means he'll have to go through waivers.

more cowbell
10-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Shawne Merriman...lol

more cowbell
10-18-2010, 07:17 PM
No reason to not sign the guy. End of story.

Will we? no

Mad Max
10-18-2010, 07:21 PM
IF and this is a HUGEEEEE If, the Bills want Shawne Merrimen, at least for this year. He's all but theirs (let me emphasize HUGE if)

Didn't he say the Niners were giggity over him?

mrbojanglezs
10-18-2010, 07:35 PM
i don't see a reason why not to put a waiver on him, doesn't cost us anything

Saratoga Slim
10-18-2010, 07:37 PM
i don't see a reason why not to put a waiver on him, doesn't cost us anything

if he passes a physical, he's still a young guy. Would be an upgrade. Nix should have some inside knowledge of what he's all about.

patmoran2006
10-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Didn't he say the Niners were giggity over him?

Doesnt matter. .We're second in the waiver pecking order, behind only Carolina.

patmoran2006
10-18-2010, 07:39 PM
BTW, obviously meant Merriman with a "a".
Typing in dark, and getting pissed off that Pettitte would pitch to Josh Hamilton.

Mad Max
10-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Doesnt matter. .We're second in the waiver pecking order, behind only Carolina.

I missed that Niner win.

How are ties broken? Do you know?

Demon
10-18-2010, 07:46 PM
What a dumb thread.

We don't want Merriman. My source told me. Common sense.

Bosco
10-18-2010, 10:22 PM
If we could get the 2006 or 2007 version of Merriman I would do it.

Get him now and you only get the name, not the player.

This guy is near washed up.

ZAZusmc03
10-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Doesn't hurt to try, if he's good, then.good for us if he's not...cya layer bye.

Joe Fo Sho
10-18-2010, 10:28 PM
I missed that Niner win.

How are ties broken? Do you know?

I think the tiebreaker here is strength of schedule. Since we've had a harder schedule, we're considered the better 0-5 team.

I think it starts with head to head, then similar opponents, then conference, then strength of schedule? There has to be enough similar opponents for that to qualify, etc.

Someone posted a link once, it was very informative. I'm sure google knows.

patmoran2006
10-18-2010, 10:38 PM
I think the tiebreaker here is strength of schedule. Since we've had a harder schedule, we're considered the better 0-5 team.

I think it starts with head to head, then similar opponents, then conference, then strength of schedule? There has to be enough similar opponents for that to qualify, etc.

Someone posted a link once, it was very informative. I'm sure google knows.

It is.. Weaker strength of schedule gets first pick, that would be Carolina.. They're not going to claim him.

(Then again, I dont see Buffalo doing it either)

psubills62
10-18-2010, 10:41 PM
You mean we'd get Robin Hood and his whole band of Merrimen?

Just messing, Pat :up:

DrGraves
10-19-2010, 12:29 AM
what does it matter we are 0-5. who cares at this point?

DynaPaul
10-19-2010, 12:31 AM
If we could get the 2006 or 2007 version of Merriman I would do it.

Get him now and you only get the name, not the player.

This guy is near washed up.

They thought LT was washed up too.

billz83
10-19-2010, 01:18 AM
i dunno how people could be against merriman but be making all these excuses for people like wilson, nix, and gailey?!?! merriman would be a captain and prolly the best player on defense by FAR..we need guys like merriman and need to get rid of guys like kelsay, ellison, and the rest of the scrubs on this defense that have allowed us to be this bad..if nix wants to prove hes dedicated to winning and getting talented players they can start with merriman..

YardRat
10-19-2010, 01:26 AM

Wouldn't he go through waivers even if they did cut him yesterday?

patmoran2006
10-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Not sure exactly the timeline and how that works (I thought it was up until the trade deadline), but Adam Schefter reported he was still on the team, will be released and then go through waivers.

Dr. Lecter
10-19-2010, 09:45 AM
No. As a veteran player he would have became a FA immediately.

But there is a deadline on that - now he goes through waivers

Pinkerton Security
10-19-2010, 09:48 AM
I havent seen any article saying he has been placed on waivers?

Mad Max
10-19-2010, 09:53 AM
I havent seen any article saying he has been placed on waivers?

The trade deadline is 4PM today. He'll be waived sometime after then.

TheBrownBear
10-19-2010, 04:36 PM
i dunno how people could be against merriman but be making all these excuses for people like wilson, nix, and gailey?!?! merriman would be a captain and prolly the best player on defense by FAR..we need guys like merriman and need to get rid of guys like kelsay, ellison, and the rest of the scrubs on this defense that have allowed us to be this bad..if nix wants to prove hes dedicated to winning and getting talented players they can start with merriman..

Lol...have you even watched the guy play a single game over the last two years? He'd be just another mediocre body out there. Ellis is probably a better linebacker at this point than Merriman. I guess there's no "harm" in signing him, but he won't make our defense any better.

casdhf
10-19-2010, 05:01 PM
I think that's a good move by SD. Now it's unlikely he'll end up in Miami or NE, or someone the Charges would have to play in the playoffs.

X-Era
10-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Lol...have you even watched the guy play a single game over the last two years? He'd be just another mediocre body out there. Ellis is probably a better linebacker at this point than Merriman. I guess there's no "harm" in signing him, but he won't make our defense any better.If everything you said is true, then we would have wasted some of our boatloads of money on a player that has been very very good in the past and at a minimum adds veteran depth to our LB corp.

Nighthawk
10-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Lol...have you even watched the guy play a single game over the last two years? He'd be just another mediocre body out there. Ellis is probably a better linebacker at this point than Merriman. I guess there's no "harm" in signing him, but he won't make our defense any better.

Ok, now this makes you sound completely stupid. There is no way in hell that Ellis is a better LB then Merriman...but nice try.

ChristopherWalken
10-19-2010, 06:55 PM
I keep hearing this "washed up" reference when eluding to aging players and I just don't see it.

Spikes
Fletcher
Jr. Seau after leaving San Diego
Tony Gonzalez
Pat Williams
Ray Lewis
ETC...

Yes, these guys are/were passed their prime before entering the next phase of their careers, but all would enhance this Bills team today.

Shawn Merriman is a shadow of his former self, and would still be a good addition to this team.

They honestly have nothing to lose by picking him up.

X-Era
10-19-2010, 10:13 PM
I keep hearing this "washed up" reference when eluding to aging players and I just don't see it.

Spikes
Fletcher
Jr. Seau after leaving San Diego
Tony Gonzalez
Pat Williams
Ray Lewis
ETC...

Yes, these guys are/were passed their prime before entering the next phase of their careers, but all would enhance this Bills team today.

Shawn Merriman is a shadow of his former self, and would still be a good addition to this team.

They honestly have nothing to lose by picking him up.Washed up at 26? A lot can happen before he's say 35... thats 9 years.

billz83
10-20-2010, 12:56 AM

hahaha ellis is prolly better?!?! u cant be serious..and i have seen him play after his steriod thing and he played good..problem is hes had injury issues but hes still young and could turn it around in 1 season..what do we have to lose?!? hes still better then all the linebackers on this team..and the bills would be plain stupid not to pull the trigger and get this guy.

Billz_fan
10-20-2010, 01:03 AM
Could we use Merriman ? Yes
Can we get him ? yes
can we afford him? hell yes
Is he better than anyone we got ? yes

We the Bills do it ? probably not.

Why ?

Because Bills fans fill the stadium every week at 0-5 this year and with losing records for the last 10 years without any additions so why spend the money ? Thats money for Ralph to spend at IHOP or Dennys.

Yasgur's Farm
10-20-2010, 06:12 AM
hahaha ellis is prolly better?!?! u cant be serious..and i have seen him play after his steriod thing and he played good..problem is hes had injury issues but hes still young and could turn it around in 1 season..what do we have to lose?!? hes still better then all the linebackers on this team..and the bills would be plain stupid not to pull the trigger and get this guy.
Keith Ellison last 3 seasons... 28 G's, 0 SK's, 5 PD's, 1 FR, 151 T's, 5.4 T's/G
Sean Merriman last 3 seasons... 18 G's, 4 SK's, 0 PD's, 0 FR's, 44 T, 2.4 T's/G

Conclusion... While Merriman may have been superior in his 1st 3 seasons due to his sack count and maybe passes defended also (He averaged just 4.4 tackles/game in those years), he has clearly not been as good since his knee injury as the back-up Keith Ellison... I can even post similar stats for Chris Kelsay over this same period.

It takes more than name recognition to play in this league. Injuries can and do end a players production.

Jan Reimers
10-20-2010, 07:01 AM
It takes more than name recognition to play in this league. Injuries can and do end a players production.
We've seen it with the Bills, too, with guys like Sam Cowart. But some posters think that big name players (even when seriously injured) from other teams are always superior to anyone we have.

Beebe's Kid
10-20-2010, 07:26 AM
Keith Ellison last 3 seasons... 28 G's, 0 SK's, 5 PD's, 1 FR, 151 T's, 5.4 T's/G
Sean Merriman last 3 seasons... 18 G's, 4 SK's, 0 PD's, 0 FR's, 44 T, 2.4 T's/G

Conclusion... While Merriman may have been superior in his 1st 3 seasons due to his sack count and maybe passes defended also (He averaged just 4.4 tackles/game in those years), he has clearly not been as good since his knee injury as the back-up Keith Ellison... I can even post similar stats for Chris Kelsay over this same period.

::Gasp!!!!!! You wouldn't!!!!!!

Yasgur's Farm
10-20-2010, 08:40 AM
::Gasp!!!!!! You wouldn't!!!!!!LOL... I have in another Merriman thread. A couple less experienced posters even LOL'd at me.

Yasgur's Farm
10-20-2010, 09:07 AM
We've seen it with the Bills, too, with guys like Sam Cowart. But some posters think that big name players (even when seriously injured) from other teams are always superior to anyone we have.Angelo Crowell comes to mind as well.

Bill Cody
10-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Sean Merriman is awesome....as long as he's on roids. Off roids? meh