PDA

View Full Version : We signed Tucker

justasportsfan
06-16-2003, 05:27 PM
Is he any good? Anyone know much about this guy? Jaded?

http://billsfanzone.com/

justasportsfan
06-16-2003, 05:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5743

Check out his stats :snicker: He's darker than TKO

G. Host
06-16-2003, 05:35 PM
Made a very heads up play in game vs Jacksonville which ended up being game winner. See other thread. Looked very promising when he came to Washington.

justasportsfan
06-16-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by G. Host
Made a very heads up play in game vs Jacksonville which ended up being game winner. See other thread. Looked very promising when he came to Washington.
Cool , thanks.

JJamezz
06-16-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

Check out his stats :snicker: He's darker than TKO

:lol:

robeezy
06-16-2003, 06:20 PM
Just having experience is a plus.

WG
06-17-2003, 04:46 AM
Well, like someone said about Stokes, he was released by Dallas, Dallas of all teams. He didn't do much for Washington while he was here I know. Plus, he was still around on waivers, so...

Conaty still had more experience, so anyone not satisfied w/ Conaty, who could not only play G, but C too, probably won't like Tucker either. I would imagine that TD's grasping at straws right now w/ the OL. I was kinda hopin' that a decent G would have been released post June 1st.

Let me ask everyone this:

If Brown were to go down, how excited would anyone be to see Tucker step in?? Would that be enough protection for Drew?

I know that there's word out there about one big play in the Jax game last year, but one big play doesn't talent make. How was he at shutting down his assignment? Did he allow any sacks? Did he create holes? Who knows, but there sure isn't a lot to judge him on given he's only started 7 games for Dallas, the last 7 games, and in those games Hutchinson was sacked 27 times! Since the rest of the Dallas OL wasn't that bad, I'd be curious where those sacks came from. In the 10 games prior to Tucker starting, the Boys allowed only 26 sacks. That's an increase from 2.6 sacks/game to about 4 sacks/game since Tucker started.

All I really know about him is that when the Skins were really looking for a decent line, he wasn't even a factor.

Earthquake Enyart
06-17-2003, 06:33 AM
Conaty was here 2 years ago when ourt line really blew, and he couldn't take advantage of it either.

Jan Reimers
06-17-2003, 07:37 AM
I still don't understand the Conaty situation. Seems he'd be a more valuable and versatile backup than Tucker.

Patrick76777
06-17-2003, 08:07 AM
Ya know, I’ve come to a realization. To Wys, the Glass isn’t half empty. It’s Half full of S#it.

justasportsfan
06-17-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
Ya know, I’ve come to a realization. To Wys, the Glass isn’t half empty. It’s Half full of S#it.

Ouch !

Earthquake Enyart
06-17-2003, 08:19 AM
We heard the same whining and gnashing of teeth over Fina and Ostrowski last year.

I don't see people lining up to sign Conaty. He's been a FA all the off season. :eek:

Tatonka
06-17-2003, 08:36 AM
tucker started and played well of allen.

Tatonka
06-17-2003, 08:36 AM
we cut alot of good players too when the new coach came in... just and fyi.

WG
06-17-2003, 09:37 AM

Out of intelligent things to say 76...?

;)

Glad to see you're so excited at the prospect of Drew standing behind a guy like Tucker in case Sullivan and/or Brown go down. BTW, so much for "competing" Sullivan, eh! Guess he's a shoe-in for the job. But wait, we've been told by our fearless leaders that Sullivan doesn't have the job for sure. Gosh, maybe Hollenbeck, or Sobieski, or Pucillo will take his job. :rolleyes:

All I know is that I'm sure we could have signed a viable backup G w/ ~ $6M sitting around on the books under the cap. I'm gettin' tired of signing scrubs, waiver guys, and injury puppies.

Other than Spikes, which is huge, far huger than most of us realize right now, Adams, and possibly Posey, we've haven't signed a single player this offseason who will be a significant upgrade anywhere! Posey may not even be an upgrade as we don't know yet. Adams, we also don't know how good he'll be either especially since his production/play fell off last year and he fills a hole but doesn't really replace a viable starter.

So you can say what you want now, but if we have two or more injuries on our OL, the only thing that I can think of this season is that we're gonna drop from one of the top 3 or 4 lines in the league to one of the bottom half OLs w/ guys like Tucker, Hollenbeck, and a whole schlew of other rookies and 2nd year guys who weren't good enough to get looks on draft days the years they were drafted and who have no experience.

I guess if that's the glass being half full or even better EE, then we have different standards. I don't think we can count on having so few injuries again on our OL. If we do, it'll be amazing! And heck, some of those guys will need relief for temporary injuries and other reasons even if only for a series or two.

So while you are getting all googly simply b/c TD signed another reject from two teams sorely in need of offensive guards, please excuse me if I'm not overly impressed!

Or should we shoe Tucker in for the Pro Bowl already along w/ Posey, McGahee, Kelsay, and Adams?

Patrick76777
06-17-2003, 09:43 AM
Tongue in Cheek Wys. Come on, you should know that. Listen, I’m just not ready to go off on a 3 page post on the 53rd man on the roster, a guy who will probably be the back-up to the back-up to the guard if he even makes the team. And I’m not prepared to do that some 6 weeks before Training camp starts. I didn’t read your second post and if you post something over 6 lines again on this topic, I won’t read that either.

BTW, I thought the line was very funny.

WG
06-17-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
tucker started and played well of allen.

As I said, while he was in Washington he didn't play and that was for a team that was sorely looking for Gs to play. Apparently he wasn't good enough to play G for a team w/ no Gs to speak of.

If he was so good on Dallas, then why didn't they resign him? I mean, afterall, if he's as good as 76, you, and EE seem to imply, then why wouldn't Dallas, another team not exactly up to their ears in backup linemen, sign him? I mean he knows the team, started last season, eh!

Why didn't some other team needing a starter or even a backup even sign him?

Why is he still available?

Isn't it quite possible, and even very likely, that he's a dime-a-dozen OG and that we are in such dire straights for OL depth that TD felt he had to make some move and there simply wasn't anything out there?

Why not sign Conaty too? What, Hollenbeck is better? Byrd? We'll stock 9 OL-men. The starters, Price, Pucillo and two others, presumably Tucker now. That still leaves one spot! Do you really think that carrying Conaty over Hollenbeck, Byrd, and a bunch of other non-draftees is such a reach? I don't get it.

Am I saying he's gonna suck? No. But you sure can't argue for him on any basis. As I said, the OL for Dallas increased their sacks allowed by ~ 1.5 sacks/game for the games he was in there!

Was that coincidence? Perhaps. IDK. But I find it difficult to believe that it means that he's somehow good.

I rather would have kept Conaty, at least for this year since he knows the team, has played next to Brown before and there wouldn't have been the loss of chemistry that was there.

Meanwhile, everyone's arguing as if the "step up" from Conaty is flagrant or something. I just don't see it and apparently, other than the "rah-rah Donahoe" crowd, I'm not the only one. I'm deeply concerned at this point at who's gonna fill in for Brown, Sullivan, or Teague should any of the three go down!

Sorry for being concerned and not putting my downpayment on SB tix down at the news of Tucker's signing!

WG
06-17-2003, 09:48 AM
How about trading for a G?

What about that?

WG
06-17-2003, 09:53 AM
Tongue in Cheek Wys. Come on, you should know that. Listen, I’m just not ready to go off on a 3 page post on the 53rd man on the roster, a guy who will probably be the back-up to the back-up to the guard if he even makes the team. And I’m not prepared to do that some 6 weeks before Training camp starts. I didn’t read your second post and if you post something over 6 lines again on this topic, I won’t read that either.

BTW, I thought the line was very funny.

I'll make this one 7 lines then...

:D

I guess I just scratch my head everytime we make a nominal, if that, signing and everyone starts talking as if this is really gonna cement the team, especially in light of us possessing a guy who's started before and knows the team.

It's non-news essentially. And I agree, he may not even make the roster, which wouldn't surprise me.

But we do need depth, and so far I'm highly unimpressed at TD's addressing of a circumstance that may be the downfall of this team this season. Drew is incapable of playing well behind anything less than a very good OL. It would be sad, very sad, if we didn't meet our goals b/c of a single injury to an OL-man or two while the rest of the team was in order, and all b/c we failed to address the issue when it was perfectly resolvable during the offseason.

You would be too.

justasportsfan
06-17-2003, 09:54 AM
I think wys' wants the bills to be a redskins type of management. Buy a team instead of building one. Wys' wants TD to take in all-probowl players in every position.

Patrick76777
06-17-2003, 09:54 AM
However, I do enjoy your reality on these pickups. I go over to finheaven and they act like every signing is a probowler. It’s ridiculous. Some big time homers over there. But I don’t think it’s as bad over here. I don’t think anyone proclaimed the Tucker signing as the last piece to the puzzle. But you come roaring in acting like we’re all dancing in the streets over the signing. I think the majority of us see it as it is. A depth signing! A guy that’s going to come to training camp and see what he can do. He has not been promised a spot on this roster. But if he goes into TC and plays well, then we found something nice!

It’s really a win-win situation.

And yes I just did what I said I wouldn’t!

Tatonka
06-17-2003, 09:55 AM
if conaty is worth anything.. why is he still available?

i am sure you said price was crap last year too.. as a matter of fact, you did.. and price played exceptionally well when called upon.

you know little to nothing about his guy.. you probably couldnt even tell me if he was black or white let alone if he is a decent football player..

Patrick76777
06-17-2003, 09:56 AM
Plus I just looked at this whole thread, and nobody said anything about this being a good signing. Not a single post.

WG
06-17-2003, 09:56 AM
Yeah, that's why I think signing Conaty is wise, right! Buy a team...

:rolleyes:

Actually, I would have been happy drafting some players at positions that would have helped us. How about an OG/C in round 3 or 2?

I don't know where you get that idea, especially since I think Irons is gonna be the one to step up instead of our "purchases" like Jones or McK.

Meanwhile, you know how happy I was w/ the "Oh so non-Redskins-like move" of "buying" Bledsoe, eh!

Quite the contrary...

WG
06-17-2003, 09:58 AM
Plus I just looked at this whole thread, and nobody said anything about this being a good signing. Not a single post.

All of a sudden everyone was putting down Conaty.

Do you think we have great depth for our OL 76???

Or do you think it's a big issue?

Why are we signing guys like Tucker?

Can you explain that to me please.

Seems like I've been under attack for suggesting that this was an inconsequential signing. No?

B/c as I see it, right now we have one bonafide backup for our OL and at the T position only. We have nothing for the interior line unless Price plays there, which he's capable, but nonetheless, he's still our only backup.

What's your solution there big fella?

Hope and pray for only 3 man-games of injuries to our OL again?

Instead of constantly criticizing, how about anteing up some solutions or something a little more positive than just criticizing me for suggesting that a problematic situation is in fact just that, problematic!

Patrick76777
06-17-2003, 10:03 AM
We'll just got to the O-line store if we lose one.

HenryRules
06-17-2003, 10:14 AM
Why is a 2nd-year Pucillo expected to be significantly worse than a second-year Sullivan? Last year no one thought Sullivan could do much and he turned out to be a solid starter. Pucillo doesn't even have to be that good, just a decent backup.

Earthquake Enyart
06-17-2003, 10:23 AM
Is Conaty better than Tucker? At least Tucker started a few games. Conaty didn't even work up a sweat last year.

Face it. In today's salary cap world, you just aren't going to have fantastic backups. I am surprised that they didn't draft an OL in the later rounds.

Patrick76777
06-17-2003, 10:26 AM
We did, in 5th round if I remember right

lordofgun
06-17-2003, 10:31 AM
Sobieski ring a bell to anyone? :shakeno:

Patrick76777
06-17-2003, 10:42 AM
So that gives us Tucker, Sobieski and Price. That's almost another whole Line

WG
06-17-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Why is a 2nd-year Pucillo expected to be significantly worse than a second-year Sullivan? Last year no one thought Sullivan could do much and he turned out to be a solid starter. Pucillo doesn't even have to be that good, just a decent backup.

That's not true HR. I thought Sullivan was quite capable of starting. Go look at his collegiate career at Illinois. He was solid. Pucillo doesn't have the dossier. Sullivan was an early 5th rounder while Pucillo was a 7th, Sullivan was as high as 3rd on many lists and we were very lucky to land him early in the 5th round when we did. I was actually hoping we'd take him in the 4th when he was available and was doing flips when we got him in the 5th. I thought that was a tremendous steal! He was a much better prospect coming out.

Pucillo may be good, but we don't know. And to expect him to step in on an OL for a team that is expected to make the championship (AFC) by many including me, isn't the best scenario. If that's your depth in that situation, then it isn't good. We need at least one interior lineman depth w/ some experience, and I mean more than 7 games on a struggling team.

Right now we have no one. I guess that's my point. Many sit here and say "what if", but I could argue the same and do, and yet my "what ifs" are dismissed categorically as if Pucillo is some sort of shoe-in.

You have to remember that we don't have a Michael Vick at QB, we have a cement-shoed statue! My faith in a completely unproven G in his second year isn't high. Neither should yours be. All I'm sayin' is A) why wasn't this addressed sooner w/ options available, good ones, and B) why wasn't it addressed w/ ~ $6M in cap money still unused for this season.

Sure, perhaps TD has some plan, but I can only imagine that it involves signing some aging vet coming off an injury if he does. That seems to be the mantra for "getting deals" in Buffalo these days.

Did we bring any vet OL-men to Buffalo? I can't remember hearing about any. Why not? We had this depth issue since as soon as TD knew that he wasn't (if that's the case) going to sign Conaty. Even then, I've been saying we needed two OL-men.

I like Sobieski, but he's coming off an injury year as well. In fact, I have more hope for Sobieski than for Pucillo. But he's a rookie, and I just can't imagine throwing less than a 2nd round pick as a rookie into a mix of linemen w/ a statue QB and not miss anything significant in a run for the division, conference, and hopefully more.

That happening BTW would be against all odds and extremely unlikely.

baalworship
06-19-2003, 07:39 AM
I have no idea how good this Tucker guy is. But he's young and he's started some games. He might have some upside still. And for those who say Tucker sucks just because no one else jumped on him I have two words: Jamie Nails.

As for depth, Marcus Price has to be one of the best tackle backups in the NFL. We're hurting at center but maybe this Sobieski guy can play. At guard haven't there been rumblings that Pucillo will give Sullivan decent competition at guard? The Bills staff obviously think a lot of Pucillo to say that. I don't care what round he came from. I'm glad we have Pat Williams & London Fletcher despite them not being drafted.