PDA

View Full Version : Players can now get ejected from games

Extremebillsfan247
10-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Watching the News last night, I ran across an interesting story about the league tightening its grip on violent hits in the NFL. Since its live video feed I am unable to post a link to this story for reference so I will be brief. We all know how someone like Donte Whitner likes to launch himself at an unsuspecting WR creating a violent hit. The league plans on implementing stricter guidelines against that sort of thing by allowing refs to eject players from a game based on discretion. Fines will also increase to entire game day paychecks ranging in the 100s of thousands. The no fun league is starting to get serious with that kind of thing and we could start seeing players ejected from games as early as this coming Sunday. This is just a heads up for those who haven't heard about this yet.

cocamide
10-19-2010, 01:27 PM
How should a safety tackle a receiver that's coming across the middle with his hands in the air? It seems impossible for the hit to not be brutal.

OpIv37
10-19-2010, 01:38 PM
I think the NFL should find out how much Tagliabue wants to come out of retirement and give him twice that much.

Goodell is an idiot and he's ruining the league.

Johnny Bugmenot
10-19-2010, 02:09 PM
I think the NFL should find out how much Tagliabue wants to come out of retirement and give him twice that much.

Considering Roger is a child of patronage (his father was a congressman when he got his job in the NFL), this should surprise nobody.

cocamide
10-19-2010, 02:13 PM

Yep. I would love to boycott the NFL because it's a ridiculously greedy, selfish organization. Unfortunately, I enjoy the product too much.

G Wolly
10-19-2010, 02:24 PM
You could take away their houses and ship these guys off to Iraq for making these hits.

It won't stop them all together.

That's just a reality of the sport.

trapezeus
10-19-2010, 02:40 PM
i think some of these hits are unavoidable. a guy moves 2 inches to the left at the last second, and you have helmet to helment instead of shoulder to chest.

some are just dirty plays. Harrison is head hunting. He even admits it.

what i don't get, and it's much like drunk driving and knee on knee contact in hockey, is why the ******* who is driving drunk or intentionally sticking out a knee to knock with someone else comes out with no injury.

The drunk driver never dies, the dirty hockey player never gets the knee injury. I find it hard to believe that a guy who gives out a number of head shots doesn't have some negative effect himself.

The good news is that none of the bills are effected by this as they rarely back a tackle facing a player and are usually chasing the players from behind looking for shoe tips and horsecollars.

G Wolly
10-19-2010, 02:42 PM
The Jackson hit looked to me like bad timing, not intentional but still scary.

The hit on Heap when Merriweather sprung up to hit his head was unnecessary.

As far as you saying Harrison says he head hunts, I never heard that, guys like that need to be tossed out of the game.

imbondz
10-19-2010, 02:47 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't remember these kinds of hits growing up watching the NFL. sometimes yes, but they happen all the time now. What's the point of a league where all the start are hurt. I don't have a problem with fining / suspending cheap hits. I think it has more to do w/ thugs in the league than the NFL being the no fun league.

Mad Max
10-19-2010, 02:49 PM
There are very few truly dirty players left in the League (the Rodney *****azz Harrisons) so when these type of hits occur, they are almost always unintentional, therefore a game ejection IMO is too harsh of a penalty.

They could have instituted something like Hockey penalty minutes, whereby a player would be banned from the rest of a possession after an illegal hit. Thereby exacting a punishment without it exerting undue influence over the outcome of a game.

Second such hit in the same game, would result in ejection. Next hit (obviously in another game), one game ban..etc.

trapezeus
10-19-2010, 02:58 PM
harrison's quote after the game was, "i like to take players out of games. I don't want to injure them, but i'm fine with the hits i make."

and for him to do it twice in one game is ridiculous.

i'm sure if he was on our team, we'd love it. but it's still dangerous.

there is a reason these guys deteriorate so fast after age 40. even the legal hits really knock them about. i saw plays yesterday that were totally normal hits and guys were getting up glass eyed.

Billz_fan
10-19-2010, 03:01 PM
I think Steve Young had the best thoughts on this whole mess, He says much of it is user error by the QB's. The number of hits like that were never as many back several years ago Steve claims and it the lack of good QB play in the league that is causing it.

He says there are like 5-6 good competent QB's in the NFL right now as opposed to many more years ago. Why this is happening he goes on to say is that these QB's that are not competent are unable to read the disguised coverages of todays defenses and they are running man routes into zone coverages and leading these receivers right into these vicious kind of hits in space. Thus his term user error.

This explanation makes a lot of sense to me for one because he is right about the QB play in the NFL, it stinks for the most part aside from a handful of top tier guys like the Brady's and Manning's etc etc.

What also started this whole suspention thing by the league was on Sunday night football on NBC Rodney Harrison stated that being fined for hits like this never bothered him. What would bother him was being taken off the field and away from the team or suspention . Goodell heard that and said "we gotta listen to this" and thus talk of suspensions as punishment for these hits was born This was also covered on ESPN.

He also made a comment watching Trent last night if anyone caught it. On Trent's interception in the flat he said. He pumps in that direction and then waits and then throws in that direction. It's like a death wish for the receiver. You cannot pump in a direction like that then wait so long to throw.This was of course after the game.

cocamide
10-19-2010, 03:01 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't remember these kinds of hits growing up watching the NFL. sometimes yes, but they happen all the time now. What's the point of a league where all the start are hurt. I don't have a problem with fining / suspending cheap hits. I think it has more to do w/ thugs in the league than the NFL being the no fun league.
I'm not sure when you grew up, and I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't remember a time when these hits didn't happen and I don't think they're happening more often now than before. Due to the pussification of the NFL, the hard hits get played and analyzed hundreds of times nowadays.

<object height="385" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zI6vW-I8H-M?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="640"></object>

G Wolly
10-19-2010, 03:04 PM
It's because the game is played so much faster these days, these things are gonna happen regardless of consequences.

Like Ditka and TJ were saying on Monday Night Countdown, back when they were playing in the 50s 60s and 70s, you'd have clotheslines over the middle, and other dangerous hits obviously now outlawed.

And like Ditka also said, helmets have been modified so many times and so many ways to prevent concussions and injury, but it's one of the most prolific weapon to use as a defender.

Guys are bigger, and faster now which is why these hits are occurring more frequently. I'm all for big hits as an NFL fan, but when it results in a guy lying motionless on that field, somethings need to change.

naugem
10-19-2010, 03:14 PM
I don't think the NFL or Goodell care too much about the injuries, but since there has been a lot of publicity about this in the last few years, they have to act like they care.
I don't think it will have any negative impact on the game. Yes, some hits are unavoidable, but there are also cheap shots that tend to get a lot of attention because many times a player ends up injured. I think those hits are the ones that the NFL wants erradicated.

Billz_fan
10-19-2010, 03:18 PM
GW makes a good point about the helmets, they talked on inside the NFL on showtime last Wednesday about this. Why are there so few concussions in Rugby and Australian rules football where there are no helmets ??

Phil Simms made the point that they are so much slower than the world class speed of NFL players, however the real point was made that since these players wear NO helmets they do not use there heads as weapons and you learn and are coached to keep your head out of harms way where as in our football we teach the kids form pee wee on up to stick that helmet in there.

This is where I think things need to change. From the time are kids are little we have to teach them not to stick and or lead with the head. It has a helmet on to protect then not to use it as a hitting and tackling device. We need to coach differently from the ground up and start when they are kids or this will never change.

Brandon Meriweather just got a 50K fine for his hits on Sunday, it just came over NFL network,

Jan Reimers
10-19-2010, 03:37 PM
It's because the game is played so much faster these days, these things are gonna happen regardless of consequences.

Like Ditka and TJ were saying on Monday Night Countdown, back when they were playing in the 50s 60s and 70s, you'd have clotheslines over the middle, and other dangerous hits obviously now outlawed.

And like Ditka also said, helmets have been modified so many times and so many ways to prevent concussions and injury, but it's one of the most prolific weapon to use as a defender.

Guys are bigger, and faster now which is why these hits are occurring more frequently. I'm all for big hits as an NFL fan, but when it results in a guy lying motionless on that field, somethings need to change.
You've covered several valid points. Players are bigger and faster, and equipment is much better (including helmets, which are now often used as weapons), which gives players a false impression of their personal safety.

But the game has also changed in other respects, to the point where "wrap up" tackles have yielded in large part to huge hits with pads and helmets that have little to do with sound, traditional tackling techniques. Fans - particularly younger fans - are really into the vicious hits, and today's players respond accordingly.

There may not be as many pure head hunters, or truly dirty players, as there used to be. But there are many more macho studs, with tackling habits that border on the dangerous, who are bigger, faster, better equipped, and encouraged by rabid fans and huge contracts.

The NFL needs to continue to punish head-to-head hits, guys who launch themselves helmet first at their opponents, and anyone who uses his helmet to spear another player in a vulnerable area. Increasing penalties to significant suspensions is a good start.

DraftBoy
10-19-2010, 03:54 PM
This is a huge issue and honestly Im fine with this type of punishment if its deemed the player is deliberately hitting dirty like Harrison does.

Anybody who doesnt think this is a huge issue just needs to read up on Merrill Hodge. What happened to him is tragic, and we as fans complain because we love the game, not really giving much thought to the reality that lies ahead for many of these players after their careers are done.

Ingtar33
10-19-2010, 04:33 PM

I disagree. Concussions/Brain and Neck injuries ruin lives. Lord knows they scare the hell out of me when i see a player on my team take a helmet to helmet blindside headhunting smash.

Helmet to Helmet hitting is a penalty to protect the players, the league just doesn't really enforce it. It protects both the giver and receiver of the hit. It's also terrible technique to lead with the helmet, and i get on my boys all the time for it.

If the NFL doesn't crack down on it, the NCAA won't, nor will HS football, so i hope they're serious about it.

cocamide
10-19-2010, 04:57 PM
The Jackson hit looked to me like bad timing, not intentional but still scary.

The hit on Heap when Merriweather sprung up to hit his head was unnecessary.

I guess I'm changing my tune a bit after watching the Meriweather hits on Heap. He was definitely head hunting on the first one and if they're going to start suspending players for these types of hits, then I don't see how they couldn't suspend him for it.

With the way Heap had his head down during the second hit, it seems like he could've gotten his neck compressed if the top of his head had been hit. The debatable thing is, the second hit seemed less dirty than the first, but could've resulted in much more serious damage. The "knocking the head back hits" probably give a guy whiplash and a concussion, but don't seem to result in paralysis. They look more brutal, but at least to my knowledge, I haven't seen anyone paralyzed from them.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zb1CmHk9GK0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zb1CmHk9GK0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

JD
10-19-2010, 05:37 PM

Maybe he sleeps with Gary Bettman and their pet gerbil

G Wolly
10-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Increasing penalties to significant suspensions is a good start.

I know it may not seem fair to those players who commit such a hit unintentionally, but I feel that it would be more fair if that player was to be suspended for the length of time the man he hit will miss.

Eye for an eye, or season for a season.

Fines and suspensions for a few games? Gimme a break. Similar to the Ochocinco fiascoes, an amount of money that is merely a drop in the bucket of their wealth will not change their behavior so as long as they can afford it, they will do it.

Billz_fan
10-20-2010, 12:28 AM
I think the suspensions could be good thing especially in the eye for an eye area. It's not gonna be easy to ref though. Tony Dungy was talking about it and remembered a hit on Dallas Clark a few years back. He said that they lost Clark for a game or 2 yet the hitter got to keep on playing. He is correct. It's fair if you take away someones ability to play that you lose yours. If that hit was of course unessesary.

Now, that is gonna be the bit## about this whole thing. The ref's are gonna get yanked into a meeting and have this drilled into there heads. They are in turn going to err on the side of caution to keep themselves safe from getting reprimanded. It's going to cause a whole bunch of hits to be called that are not bad. Just wait and see.

billz83
10-20-2010, 12:42 AM
Goodell is ruining the game!!! soon it will be 2 hand touch for the QB and only 1 player can tackle at a time to prevent injuries..goodell is on a power trip or suttin..

Billz_fan
10-20-2010, 12:48 AM
Goodell is ruining the game!!! soon it will be 2 hand touch for the QB and only 1 player can tackle at a time to prevent injuries..goodell is on a power trip or suttin..

The NFL created the conditions that we see now. Big money contracts have brought the game to what it is. The players are bigger, badder, faster and stronger every year. You have guys that are 250 pounds running 4.5 and under times (or close) these guys are what was made by the NFL over the years. Everyone had to keep getting bigger and faster.

Now they don't like what they have created. It's a gladiator sport yet they want it to be Tv friendly, it's no wonder they are having problems.

billz83
10-20-2010, 12:52 AM
The NFL created the conditions that we see now. Big money contracts have brought the game to what it is. The players are bigger, badder, faster and stronger every year. You have guys that are 250 pounds running 4.5 and under times (or close) these guys are what was made by the NFL over the years. Everyone had to keep getting bigger and faster.

Now they don't like what they have created. It's a gladiator sport yet they want it to be Tv friendly, it's no wonder they are having problems.

ya but they are gettin paid millions to play this game and itz not forced on anyone..when u play football u know getting hit hard as **** is just part of the game..and the more hard hitz u get the better! Goodell is a ***** and has been a plague to the NFL since he came around.

Billz_fan
10-20-2010, 12:56 AM
ya but they are gettin paid millions to play this game and itz not forced on anyone..when u play football u know getting hit hard as **** is just part of the game..and the more hard hitz u get the better! Goodell is a ***** and has been a plague to the NFL since he came around.

I agree with everything except the Goodell thing and Im not sure about him yet. I don't think his line can be written yet. I do agree though that we are going to see the pussification of the NFL weather we like it (we don't) or not.

billz83
10-20-2010, 01:01 AM
I agree with everything except the Goodell thing and Im not sure about him yet. I don't think his line can be written yet. I do agree though that we are going to see the pussification of the NFL weather we like it (we don't) or not.

hahaha yaa itz been going in that direction for a few years..but im positive goodell is a fool..ever since he came around hes given the NFL a black eye! a lock out might go down under goodellz watch..

Billz_fan
10-20-2010, 01:07 AM
hahaha yaa itz been going in that direction for a few years..but im positive goodell is a fool..ever since he came around hes given the NFL a black eye! a lock out might go down under goodellz watch..

Your probably right :up: It also looks like we are the only ones awake :D

billz83
10-20-2010, 01:47 AM
Your probably right :up: It also looks like we are the only ones awake :D

haha diehard BILLZ FANZ!!

Buddo
10-20-2010, 02:01 PM
TBH, an awful lot of what does happen, is the result of a total lack of technical ability in respect of how to tackle effectively.
Watch just about any decent game of rugby (in either of it's flavors, League or Union), and you will see guys stopping others 'in their tracks' through the use of good technique.
In the NFL, players seem to think that a collision is the only way to stop someone, so you see people hurling themselves at receivers/ball carriers like some sort of human torpedo/missile, and for an awful lot of the time, it doesn't have the desired effect. WRs and RBs have become fairly adept at either making people miss, or using their own bodies in such a way, that the 'collision' ends up being more deflected than anything else.

As regards the Harrison comments, I think he's absolutely right. Players will only get the message, if they aren't actually being allowed on the field. Coaches will also have to take that into consideration, as they won't want to be losing players through suspensions either.
Helmet to Helmet hitting should be a no-no, but there are also a lot of hits where there is deliberate 'leading' with the helmet. They should also get penalised.
A prime example of that happened in the Packers/Phins game last weekend. One of the 'Phins (I think a DT), basically flattened Rodgers as he was passing the football, but did so by leading with his helmet into Rodgers chest. It was blatantly deliberate, yet the Zebras didn't even flag for it. It wasn't likely to give Rodgers a concussion, as it was pretty much aimed at his solar plexus, but it was bloody dangerous nonetheless, with potential for rib damage etc.

RockStar36
10-20-2010, 02:09 PM
This is a good move.

People keep reading into this as 'the NFL is being pussified' and 'it should be flag football now'.

Nobody is against hard hits. It's the dirty helmet to helmet hits that are the issue. I don't know what is so hard to see about this?

Are we also against people in the NHL swinging their hockey sticks like baseball bats at someone's head?

billz83
10-20-2010, 02:52 PM
goodell is a *****! **** him sumone should retire his worthless *** for good..WORST thing to ever happen to football is roger goodell..

ServoBillieves
10-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Put flags on their belts. Take the helmets off.

There's no room for passion anymore. These guys have devoted their lives to football and know the injuries they can sustain. If LT or Butkus said what Harrison said, people would look the other way or think "yeah, that's his job".

Today, instead of making the tackle, the player has to think "hmm, where can I hit him and it won't hurt my pocket book" rather than just getting the ball carrier down.

I do agree with what most people have said, though, that there aren't many bully players anymore, but those are the ones who should be fined, the blatant helmet to helmet types.

Mr. Pink
10-20-2010, 04:25 PM
This is a good move.

People keep reading into this as 'the NFL is being pussified' and 'it should be flag football now'.

Nobody is against hard hits. It's the dirty helmet to helmet hits that are the issue. I don't know what is so hard to see about this?

Are we also against people in the NHL swinging their hockey sticks like baseball bats at someone's head?

Take away the helmets in both sports and you'll see players protecting each other basically to protect themselves.

Rugby is every bit as violent as the NFL if not more.

G Wolly
10-20-2010, 08:52 PM
I don't wanna say this because RS36 already said it how I wanted to say it.

It's not the issue of hitting and getting hurt.

It's the issue of players trying to intentionally injure other players by leading with their helmet towards their head.

Buddo
10-21-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't wanna say this because RS36 already said it how I wanted to say it.

It's not the issue of hitting and getting hurt.

It's the issue of players trying to intentionally injure other players by leading with their helmet towards their head.

TBH - for me, the issue is simply deliberately leading with the helmet. What part of the body it's aimed at, is largely irrelevant. The helmet is being used as a 'weapon', and fundamentally, that is not what the game is about.
The helmet is a piece of protective equipment, and using it in any other way, should be penalised.

DraftBoy
10-21-2010, 11:52 AM
This is a good move.

To answer your last question, absolutely not, Im all for it.