X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Extremebillsfan247
    • Sep 2008

Players can now get ejected from games

Watching the News last night, I ran across an interesting story about the league tightening its grip on violent hits in the NFL. Since its live video feed I am unable to post a link to this story for reference so I will be brief. We all know how someone like Donte Whitner likes to launch himself at an unsuspecting WR creating a violent hit. The league plans on implementing stricter guidelines against that sort of thing by allowing refs to eject players from a game based on discretion. Fines will also increase to entire game day paychecks ranging in the 100s of thousands. The no fun league is starting to get serious with that kind of thing and we could start seeing players ejected from games as early as this coming Sunday. This is just a heads up for those who haven't heard about this yet.
  • cocamide
    • Oct 2006

Re: Players can now get ejected from games

How should a safety tackle a receiver that's coming across the middle with his hands in the air? It seems impossible for the hit to not be brutal.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

I think the NFL should find out how much Tagliabue wants to come out of retirement and give him twice that much.

Goodell is an idiot and he's ruining the league.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
        Will not tolerate vandalism.
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37
        I think the NFL should find out how much Tagliabue wants to come out of retirement and give him twice that much.

Considering Roger is a child of patronage (his father was a congressman when he got his job in the NFL), this should surprise nobody.

Comment

• cocamide
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37

Yep. I would love to boycott the NFL because it's a ridiculously greedy, selfish organization. Unfortunately, I enjoy the product too much.

Comment

• G Wolly
            • Mar 2004

You could take away their houses and ship these guys off to Iraq for making these hits.

It won't stop them all together.

That's just a reality of the sport.

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

i think some of these hits are unavoidable. a guy moves 2 inches to the left at the last second, and you have helmet to helment instead of shoulder to chest.

some are just dirty plays. Harrison is head hunting. He even admits it.

what i don't get, and it's much like drunk driving and knee on knee contact in hockey, is why the ******* who is driving drunk or intentionally sticking out a knee to knock with someone else comes out with no injury.

The drunk driver never dies, the dirty hockey player never gets the knee injury. I find it hard to believe that a guy who gives out a number of head shots doesn't have some negative effect himself.

The good news is that none of the bills are effected by this as they rarely back a tackle facing a player and are usually chasing the players from behind looking for shoe tips and horsecollars.

Comment

• G Wolly
                • Mar 2004

The Jackson hit looked to me like bad timing, not intentional but still scary.

The hit on Heap when Merriweather sprung up to hit his head was unnecessary.

As far as you saying Harrison says he head hunts, I never heard that, guys like that need to be tossed out of the game.

Comment

• imbondz
                  Democrats are people too
                  • Jan 2003

I could be wrong, but I don't remember these kinds of hits growing up watching the NFL. sometimes yes, but they happen all the time now. What's the point of a league where all the start are hurt. I don't have a problem with fining / suspending cheap hits. I think it has more to do w/ thugs in the league than the NFL being the no fun league.
                  My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Mad Max
                    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                    • Mar 2003

There are very few truly dirty players left in the League (the Rodney *****azz Harrisons) so when these type of hits occur, they are almost always unintentional, therefore a game ejection IMO is too harsh of a penalty.

They could have instituted something like Hockey penalty minutes, whereby a player would be banned from the rest of a possession after an illegal hit. Thereby exacting a punishment without it exerting undue influence over the outcome of a game.

Second such hit in the same game, would result in ejection. Next hit (obviously in another game), one game ban..etc.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

harrison's quote after the game was, "i like to take players out of games. I don't want to injure them, but i'm fine with the hits i make."

and for him to do it twice in one game is ridiculous.

i'm sure if he was on our team, we'd love it. but it's still dangerous.

there is a reason these guys deteriorate so fast after age 40. even the legal hits really knock them about. i saw plays yesterday that were totally normal hits and guys were getting up glass eyed.

Comment

• Billz_fan
                        • Jan 2003

I think Steve Young had the best thoughts on this whole mess, He says much of it is user error by the QB's. The number of hits like that were never as many back several years ago Steve claims and it the lack of good QB play in the league that is causing it.

He says there are like 5-6 good competent QB's in the NFL right now as opposed to many more years ago. Why this is happening he goes on to say is that these QB's that are not competent are unable to read the disguised coverages of todays defenses and they are running man routes into zone coverages and leading these receivers right into these vicious kind of hits in space. Thus his term user error.

This explanation makes a lot of sense to me for one because he is right about the QB play in the NFL, it stinks for the most part aside from a handful of top tier guys like the Brady's and Manning's etc etc.

What also started this whole suspention thing by the league was on Sunday night football on NBC Rodney Harrison stated that being fined for hits like this never bothered him. What would bother him was being taken off the field and away from the team or suspention . Goodell heard that and said "we gotta listen to this" and thus talk of suspensions as punishment for these hits was born This was also covered on ESPN.

He also made a comment watching Trent last night if anyone caught it. On Trent's interception in the flat he said. He pumps in that direction and then waits and then throws in that direction. It's like a death wish for the receiver. You cannot pump in a direction like that then wait so long to throw.This was of course after the game.
                        Last edited by Billz_fan; 10-19-2010, 04:25 PM.
                        The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• cocamide
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by imbondz
                          I could be wrong, but I don't remember these kinds of hits growing up watching the NFL. sometimes yes, but they happen all the time now. What's the point of a league where all the start are hurt. I don't have a problem with fining / suspending cheap hits. I think it has more to do w/ thugs in the league than the NFL being the no fun league.
                          I'm not sure when you grew up, and I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't remember a time when these hits didn't happen and I don't think they're happening more often now than before. Due to the pussification of the NFL, the hard hits get played and analyzed hundreds of times nowadays.

Comment

• G Wolly
                            • Mar 2004

It's because the game is played so much faster these days, these things are gonna happen regardless of consequences.

Like Ditka and TJ were saying on Monday Night Countdown, back when they were playing in the 50s 60s and 70s, you'd have clotheslines over the middle, and other dangerous hits obviously now outlawed.

And like Ditka also said, helmets have been modified so many times and so many ways to prevent concussions and injury, but it's one of the most prolific weapon to use as a defender.

Guys are bigger, and faster now which is why these hits are occurring more frequently. I'm all for big hits as an NFL fan, but when it results in a guy lying motionless on that field, somethings need to change.

Comment

• naugem
                              • Mar 2004

I don't think the NFL or Goodell care too much about the injuries, but since there has been a lot of publicity about this in the last few years, they have to act like they care.
                              I don't think it will have any negative impact on the game. Yes, some hits are unavoidable, but there are also cheap shots that tend to get a lot of attention because many times a player ends up injured. I think those hits are the ones that the NFL wants erradicated.

Comment

Working...
                              X