PDA

View Full Version : Time to go Tuna Fishing?

HAMMER
10-19-2010, 04:00 PM
The Big Tuna has left the building. Oh how he could right the ship. Unfortunately Ralph doesn't like to let someone do their job and all the top management talent know it too.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14154738/parcells-moves-out-of-dolphins-office-ireland-in-charge

trapezeus
10-19-2010, 04:26 PM
he'd never do it in a million years, but perhaps he wants to hit for the AFC East cycle.

the only concern is that he's gotten progressively worse as he's kept moving.

won a superbowl with giants
got the patriots to the superbowl
got the jets to the playoffs
didn't win a playoff game with dallas
put in a winning culture with the dolphins, but stagnant growth in getting better

how much would it suck to see him come here and fail big time.

Ingtar33
10-19-2010, 04:29 PM
The Big Tuna has left the building. Oh how he could right the ship. Unfortunately Ralph doesn't like to let someone do their job and all the top management talent know it too.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14154738/parcells-moves-out-of-dolphins-office-ireland-in-charge

BP, as much as i would love to see him save this team i think is done with football for good at this point.

Of course this is ignoring the fact that Wilson is also around and would never pay a dime for him.

SABuffalo786
10-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Never ever ever ever.

The guys been behind like every single Bills downfall except the music city miracle. I think he has it out for us.

Jan Reimers
10-19-2010, 05:32 PM
The Tuna is starting to stink. I'd stay away.

McBFLO
10-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Too big of a personality for Ralph. It'd never happen.

YardRat
10-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Everybody thought Scotty Bowman meant guaranteed success for the Sabres also.

mrbojanglezs
10-19-2010, 07:29 PM
IMO he is overrated but obv better than who we have now

Ickybaluky
10-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Say what you want about Parcells, but every team he leaves is in better shape than when he took over. His specialty is turning around teams that are trainwrecks. Look at his history:

- Took over the Giants after a 4-5 strike season, 1 winning record in previous 10 seasons
- Took over the Patriots after a 2-14 season, 14-50 over the previous 4 years
- Took over the Jets after a 3-13 and 1-15 seasons
- Took over Dallas after 3 straight 5-11 seasons
- Took over Miami after a 1-15 season, 20-44 in previous 4 years

Parcells would establish the infrastructure to build a winning team. Going for him is a no-brainer, IMO, if you could interest him. After a few years you can move on, but at least the team would have people in place that know how to run an NFL team.

HAMMER
10-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Say what you want about Parcells, but every team he leaves is in better shape than when he took over. His specialty is turning around teams that are trainwrecks. Look at his history:

- Took over the Giants after a 4-5 strike season, 1 winning record in previous 10 seasons

Parcells would establish the infrastructure to build a winning team. Going for him is a no-brainer, IMO, if you could interest him. After a few years you can move on, but at least the team would have people in place that know how to run an NFL team.

Spot on, as usual.:bullseye:

Billz_fan
10-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Well it's nice to talk about and nice to think about but anyone who seriously considers this has forgotten about Ralph and how he does or doesn't do things. He will never relinquish the type of control needed to land a person like this he just does not do it. Thats it, end of story.

When Ralph dies and the new ownership takes over, IF they decide to stay in Buffalo then we can start to talk like this. As morbid as it sounds we are of little hope till the guy dies as far as putting together a winning organization goes.

billz83
10-20-2010, 02:47 AM
The Tuna is exactly what the bills NEED..sumone to put old man wilson in his place..saying that wilson would never pay for him nor would he get him because he would make competent moves sumthing wilson cant stand.

Canadian'eh!
10-20-2010, 05:38 AM
He'd be a coup for the Bills and turn things around. But why would he ever do it?

Ralph's meddling. No bidget for players. Bad weather.
Nope. never happen.

Ickybaluky
10-20-2010, 06:50 AM
He'd be a coup for the Bills and turn things around. But why would he ever do it?

Ralph's meddling. No bidget for players. Bad weather.
Nope. never happen.

I don't know. Was Leon Hess a great owner? Was Wayne Huizenga? Does Jerry Jones meddle?

Wilson seems shy about giving too much power to a front-office guy, but a lot of that is because of Tom Donahoe. It has been a while since Donahoe was canned, and it hasn't worked since. Couldn't you see him getting fed up after a dreadful season (which the Bills look headed for) and deciding he doesn't want to deal with it anymore? In that case, maybe he just writes Parcells a check and tells him to deal with it. It would get the fan base energized and free him up from some headaches.

It makes a lot of sense, IMO. Turning around teams like the Bills is what Parcells does. They should at least see if they can interest him.

Stewie
10-20-2010, 07:23 AM
The guy is 70 years old. He has Grandkids. His son in law happens to run a football team. He has a hsitory of getting fed up, taking time, and then getting the itch. Don't forget that Miami is paying him for another year or two anyway.

He's moving to KC, taking off for a year, maybe dabbling in TV, and oh yeah he's going to babysit his grandkids :P . And maybe consult with KC.

RockStar36
10-20-2010, 07:53 AM
I don't see it happening ever, but in a dream scenario, absolutely. I would love it.

EDS
10-20-2010, 08:09 AM
The guy is 70 years old. He has Grandkids. His son in law happens to run a football team. He has a hsitory of getting fed up, taking time, and then getting the itch. Don't forget that Miami is paying him for another year or two anyway.

He's moving to KC, taking off for a year, maybe dabbling in TV, and oh yeah he's going to babysit his grandkids :P . And maybe consult with KC.

Buddy Nix is 70 too, so Parcells will fit right in.

justasportsfan
10-20-2010, 10:02 AM
I think Ralph is committed to NIx for at least 3 years and I believe he has given Nix the same power he gave Donahoe.

OpIv37
10-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Two words: Marv Levy.

Parcells isn't going to ruin his legacy by jumping on board this train wreck.

Static
10-20-2010, 10:15 AM
there is also the factor that he isn't completely dissconnected from the dolphins, they are calling this a leave of absense and they are saying he will be available to consult during the draft, But you never know with him.

Bill Cody
10-20-2010, 10:20 AM

It takes the right owner to make that work and we don't have it. The Patriots had an owner named Victor Kiam, dead now, who was the owner of Remington shavers. He knew nothing about football and he hired a guy from MiamiU, a guy named Jankovich to run the team. He ran the team even further into the ground and that's saying something. Then Kiam sold the team to Budweiser mogul James Orthwein who brought in Parcells and said "do whatever you need to do". And Parcells did. Wilson would try to meddle and wouldn't want to pay. No, Wilson would need to be in a box and the new owners hands off for Bill to come. But if that were the case he would come and he would turn things around. Too bad Wilson won't do the right thing and sell or die, his call, the team is at a crossroads here in Buffalo. If the next year or 2 don't result in SERIOUS rebuilding I doubt the team will end up staying here. But you know what? That's what they were saying when Kiam sold out to Orthwein in NE. Wilson needs to go. Now.

Buddo
10-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Seems to me as though after his success with the Giants and Pats, he's gradually gone downhill. It also seems to me that his actual interest in doing the job has diminished.
I'm not sure (tbh I don't know), that any current success the Jets are enjoying, has any relation to his time there. He helped the Cowgirls to an extent, probably by keeping JJ in the background a bit more, and perhaps JJ took a few lessons on board, but they aren't going anywhere,again.
The Fins he did a decent enough initial job with, but got inordinately lucky with the signing of Pennington. Looks like they will flatter to deceive again this year, and even this early, would possibly have been done for the season if they hadn't squeaked past the Pack last weekend.

At this moment in time, I'd prefer Nix, as at least he has the enthusiasm to go with the job. People also are quick to forget that he actually took a leaf out of Tuna's book, when he canned the training staff on taking over. I think they actually sing from a very similar hymn sheet tbh.

As Bills fans, it seems there is this absolute desire, to 'have our cake and eat it'. Fans who have complained bitterly that there is all sorts wrong with the organisation, still seem to expect 'someone' to come in, wave the magic wand, and fix everything immediately.
I think we now have enough evidence to see that isn't going to happen. What we do need to see though, is progress in how the team is approaching games, and signs that the higher draft picks we had last draft, are going to be able to produce, further down the road.