PDA

View Full Version : Schefter: QB Class of 2011 could equal or surpass 1983

Ickybaluky
10-22-2010, 08:15 AM
It is a stunning statement, but he addresses it to the Bills (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=schefter_adam&page=10spot/10week07):

Buffalo has hope (not this season, but in future ones). Two people with knowledge of the quarterback class of 2011 predicted it will rival, and perhaps even surpass, the quarterback class of 1983. Top quarterback prospects include Stanford's Andrew Luck, Washington's Jake Locker, Arkansas' Ryan Mallett, Missouri's Blaine Gabbert and Florida State's Christian Ponder. But there will be plenty to endure until then. One NFL executive predicted last week that the Bills would not win a game this season and they would join the 2008 Lions as the only team in NFL history to compile an 0-16 record. The Bills have allowed 30 or more points in four straight games for the first time in franchise history, and have been outscored 161-87 collectively.

ddaryl
10-22-2010, 08:30 AM
which is why I am really glad we passed on a QB last year.

and one reason why I am not upset with losing this season and that were not about trying to salvage 6 or 7 wins....

OpIv37
10-22-2010, 08:33 AM
What's the stunning part? 0-16 prediction for the Bills or saying the '11 QB class will beat '83?

RockStar36
10-22-2010, 08:47 AM
And this is exactly why we need to just accept this season for what it is and look towards the future. There is a reason they didn't take a QB last draft, besides them all sucking, and this is it.

trapezeus
10-22-2010, 08:49 AM
i think the class beating the 83 class is the stunning part. hopefully it's true and hopefully we end up with an elway/kelly/marino and not a ken obrien

OpIv37
10-22-2010, 08:50 AM
And this is exactly why we need to just accept this season for what it is and look towards the future. There is a reason they didn't take a QB last draft, besides them all sucking, and this is it.

that would imply forethought and competence: two traits the Bills haven't displayed in probably 15 years.

jamze132
10-22-2010, 08:53 AM
To be honest and a bit defensive of OBD, everyone knew the class of 11' was going to be way better than the class of 10'. I still think OBD did the right thing by not drafting one of the media hyped QBs this past draft.

TacklingDummy
10-22-2010, 09:02 AM
It's too bad the Bills won't be drafting one of them.

Barkley in 2012.

OpIv37
10-22-2010, 09:24 AM
To be honest and a bit defensive of OBD, everyone knew the class of 11' was going to be way better than the class of 10'. I still think OBD did the right thing by not drafting one of the media hyped QBs this past draft.

I said before that I was ok with not addressing QB this off-season.

But I was wrong.

Why? Because we didn't do anything about the damn OL. The idea was to fix the OL first. Well, they didn't fix the OL.

So, whoever they draft at QB in '11 is a dead man walking.

Great job once again, OBD.

WeAreArthurMoates
10-22-2010, 09:41 AM
By no means do I want to go winless but want to see no more than 5 wins, that still gives us a top 6 pick and either Luck or Locker.

don137
10-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Not sure if they can surpass 1983 since that class was amazing...Elway, Kelly and Marino. Eason, O'Brien and Blackledge never turned out to be anything spectacular.

TedMock
10-22-2010, 09:56 AM
i think the class beating the 83 class is the stunning part. hopefully it's true and hopefully we end up with an elway/kelly/marino and not a ken obrien

Ken O'Brien actually had some decent years. He threw for over 25,000 yards. Even Tony Eason looked real promising for a bit. Injuries took their toll on him though. The unfortunate thing for both was ending up in the same division with Marino and Kelly.

Todd Blackledge was the one guy out of this draft who was just bad from day one.

PromoTheRobot
10-22-2010, 09:58 AM
One NFL executive predicted last week that the Bills would not win a game this season and they would join the 2008 Lions as the only team in NFL history to compile an 0-16 record.

Really sticking his neck out there, eh?

PTR

Dr. Taylor Zaius
10-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Ken O'Brien actually had some decent years. He threw for over 25,000 yards. Even Tony Eason looked real promising for a bit. Injuries took their toll on him though. The unfortunate thing for both was ending up in the same division with Marino and Kelly.

Todd Blackledge was the one guy out of this draft who was just bad from day one.
Never draft Penn State QBs.:laughing:

Bill Cody
10-22-2010, 10:08 AM
I could care less how "great" the QB class supposedly is. The 1983 class had only 2 great QB's, that's it. Yes Marino dropped in that class and that was a fluke but otherwise there's a big difference between drafting John Elway and drafting Ken O'brien or Tony Eason or Todd Blackledge. We need to pick 1st and we need to nail the pick. Period. Anyone that thinks we're going to pass on a QB is we're at the top of next year's draft is on crack.

trapezeus
10-22-2010, 10:12 AM
I said before that I was ok with not addressing QB this off-season.

But I was wrong.

Why? Because we didn't do anything about the damn OL. The idea was to fix the OL first. Well, they didn't fix the OL.

So, whoever they draft at QB in '11 is a dead man walking.

Great job once again, OBD.

disagree. i feel like fitzpatrick is proving that he's able to take a beating routinely under this poor line. i think he starts again next year and is a good mentor. he's got the brains to run an offense. he just lacks skill to execute what he knows.

i think they should probably pay for fitz to stay behind center until some sembelence of blocking schemes are set up, then pay him a little extra in 2012 to stay on and let the new kid take over. Provided that the line gets better this year and next, the first rounder could be walking into a beautiful thing with CJ hitting his groove, a OL that's taken 2 years to gel, and hopefully a TE or WR or two that knows how to get open.

That really has to be our hope.

RockStar36
10-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Maybe instead of comparing 2011 to 1983, they should compare 2004 to 1983.

k-oneputt
10-22-2010, 10:35 AM
That's funny.
Last I heard from the experts around here is Locker and Mallett will be lucky to go in the top three rds.

billsburgh
10-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Never draft Penn State QBs.:laughing:
or running backs

DraftBoy
10-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Ah I love media hype.

Ebenezer
10-22-2010, 10:50 AM
If there is a draft and season the Bills will take a DE or an OT.

ddaryl
10-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Not sure if they can surpass 1983 since that class was amazing...Elway, Kelly and Marino. Eason, O'Brien and Blackledge never turned out to be anything spectacular.
time will tell...

but proclaiming next years QB's top 83 would be a lot like music journalists proclaiming some new band to be the next Led Zeppelin

ghz in pittsburgh
10-22-2010, 11:48 AM
So who're the Elway, Kelly, and Marino of the 2011 QB class? I was too young to watch football back then. Is Luck the new Elway, Mallet the new Blackledge?

justasportsfan
10-22-2010, 11:49 AM
So who're the Elway, Kelly, and Marino of the 2011 QB class? I was too young to watch football back then. Is Luck the new Elway, Mallet the new Blackledge?

BUffalo thriller should be able to remember.

Mahdi
10-22-2010, 12:00 PM
If there is a draft and season the Bills will take a DE or an OT.
And then lose the rest of the fan base.

DraftBoy
10-22-2010, 12:03 PM
And then lose the rest of the fan base.

No they wont.

Mad Max
10-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Never draft Penn State anything.:laughing:

Fixed.

Akhippo
10-22-2010, 12:44 PM
So are we going to have the first pick, draft a stanford QB only to have him demand to play somewhere else. Then we draft an offensive lineman?

Then have him win 2 superbowls.

I dont like this 83 comparison already.

streetkings01
10-22-2010, 12:55 PM
or running backsThe past few years you can throw LBs in there too.

Mahdi
10-22-2010, 01:07 PM
No they wont.
If the Bills pass on QB in this draft then a ton of fans will not be happy. And it simply wouldn't make any sense.

Philagape
10-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Theoretically, I'd have no problem at all taking a LT if he was the BPA

k-oneputt
10-22-2010, 01:50 PM
No they wont.

Yes they will. At least my six tixs.

Mahdi
10-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Theoretically, I'd have no problem at all taking a LT if he was the BPA
Assuming we are picking #1, I don't think there is a LT prospect good enough for #1 overall.

Night Train
10-22-2010, 02:02 PM
The Bills will be down to their one and only marketing move this coming off-season and that's drafting a QB in Round 1, which they WILL do.

A new future star QB is the only way to avoid a complete collapse in season ticket sales and market this team.

After that, fix the D.

k-oneputt
10-22-2010, 02:10 PM
The Bills will be down to their one and only marketing move this coming off-season and that's drafting a QB in Round 1, which they WILL do.

A new future star QB is the only way to avoid a complete collapse in season ticket sales and market this team.

After that, fix the D.

I see a few have fiqured it out.

DraftBoy
10-22-2010, 02:11 PM
If the Bills pass on QB in this draft then a ton of fans will not be happy. And it simply wouldn't make any sense.

Not happy is not losing fans. Bills fans have been "not happy" for years now.

DraftBoy
10-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Yes they will. At least my six tixs.

six is a drop in the bucket.

This exact same argument was played out already last year in the Bradford v. Clausen debates.

It wasn't true then, its not true now.

The Bills could wait till Round 3 and take a guy like Devlin and the fans would cling to it. Happens every draft and will happen again this year.

DraftBoy
10-22-2010, 02:13 PM

After that, fix the D.

I disagree, all they have to do is take a QB in Day 1 or 2. Bills fans will justify it and then cherish him. Round 1 isn't a must, one of the first two days is though.

k-oneputt
10-22-2010, 02:14 PM
I can tell you don't go to the games and have a vib on what's going on.

k-oneputt
10-22-2010, 02:15 PM
When you are picking #1, a qb is a must for this team at this time.

k-oneputt
10-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Bills season ticket holders will not cling to or cherish a Penn St/Delware 3rd rd. qb this coming draft.
Won't happen. It will actually piss off the fan base even more.

WeAreArthurMoates
10-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Assuming we are picking #1, I don't think there is a LT prospect good enough for #1 overall.

Nope and there's really not a defensive player as well.

Mahdi
10-22-2010, 02:49 PM
I disagree, all they have to do is take a QB in Day 1 or 2. Bills fans will justify it and then cherish him. Round 1 isn't a must, one of the first two days is though.
And who do you see the Bills picking in the top 3 ahead of Locker, Mallett or Luck?

Dareus?

Yeah it's possible they go for Dareus to solidify the defense and draft a round 2 QB but if one of those 3 Qbs are available when they pick it would be very difficult and very risky to pass on them.

Mahdi
10-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Nope and there's really not a defensive player as well.
Well you could argue Robert Quinn and Dareus.

Mad Max
10-22-2010, 02:59 PM

Clayborn.

WeAreArthurMoates
10-22-2010, 03:16 PM

Ya if Quinn wasn't suspended most def and I love Dareus and Clayborne as prospects. Great for the 3-4 but typically 5 techs aren't top 3 draft picks. I wouldn't be upset with the pick I just don't see it happening.

Ingtar33
10-22-2010, 03:19 PM

Not to throw even more cold water on you, but the Colts ended up with Elway...

Ginger Vitis
10-22-2010, 03:21 PM
I do respect Schefter but this comparison is a foolish one.. The 2011 Qb class doesn't even match up with the QB class from 2004 let alone 1983

TedMock
10-22-2010, 03:21 PM
And who do you see the Bills picking in the top 3 ahead of Locker, Mallett or Luck?

This is tough. Let's say we pick 2 or 3. Do we really feel that all three of these guys is worth that pick? There are defensive players out there who are most likely ranked higher. Heyward, Clayborn and Carter could all play in our defense and are probably ranked pretty high on the board. I'm still not sure that Mallet and Luck are 100% positive on coming out...or Gabbert, or Newton, or Brantley, etc. If that happens, Ponder may end up a 1st rounder, but not top 3, of course. Is Devlin worth a 2nd or do we wait until the more appropriate 3rd round? Maybe a 4th round flier on the tall & athletic, but relatively efficient kid out of Nevada (Kaepernick?).

Trading down is so difficult, but what if we were able to? If it's Mallet or trade down, what do you do? Would it be that terrible to end up with Cam Jordan, Carimi, Ponder and whoever with those picks? Of course there's always the possiblity that the NFL circles just don't think Locker or Mallet are even top 10 guys, so it's all moot. See last years draft for how bad fans wanted a QB early only to see them all drop and struggle with the exception of Bradford who legitimately was the only one worth taking. I just don't see this all as cut and dry. Ralph may lose fans, but I just can't see the team drafting to keep the fans happy. As soon as the guy they overreach for starts to stink, the fans will be all over the front office for picking that guy even if it is Locker or Mallet.

theanswer74
10-22-2010, 03:26 PM
So are we going to have the first pick, draft a stanford QB only to have him demand to play somewhere else. Then we draft an offensive lineman?

Then have him win 2 superbowls.

I dont like this 83 comparison already.
Not only that but the Baltimore Colts moved to Indy the following year. I hate Schefter's comparison!

k-oneputt
10-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Don't worry about the overreaching. If you overreach for any positon it's to get a qb.
This team overreaches for d-ends and d-backs.

Buffalo Thriller
10-22-2010, 04:05 PM
BUffalo thriller should be able to remember.

My dad was 15 in 1983. I wasn't even imagined at that point. Good try though

YardRat
10-22-2010, 05:24 PM
If we use our top pick on a TE again, I will be super-pissed. The QB we get with our second pick damn well better be the second coming of Kelly, plus some.

Mr. Pink
10-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Media hype is great.

The QB class of 1999 was supposed to surpass 1983 too.

Night Train
10-23-2010, 07:19 AM

They will not justify a Day 2 QB pick with this fanbase. Living here, I can tell you that will never happen. The press would eat them alive. It's all they preach.

X-Era
10-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Theoretically, I'd have no problem at all taking a LT if he was the BPAIt wont be.

X-Era
10-23-2010, 08:14 AM
This is tough. Let's say we pick 2 or 3. Do we really feel that all three of these guys is worth that pick? There are defensive players out there who are most likely ranked higher. Heyward, Clayborn and Carter could all play in our defense and are probably ranked pretty high on the board. I'm still not sure that Mallet and Luck are 100% positive on coming out...or Gabbert, or Newton, or Brantley, etc. If that happens, Ponder may end up a 1st rounder, but not top 3, of course. Is Devlin worth a 2nd or do we wait until the more appropriate 3rd round? Maybe a 4th round flier on the tall & athletic, but relatively efficient kid out of Nevada (Kaepernick?).

Trading down is so difficult, but what if we were able to? If it's Mallet or trade down, what do you do? Would it be that terrible to end up with Cam Jordan, Carimi, Ponder and whoever with those picks? Of course there's always the possiblity that the NFL circles just don't think Locker or Mallet are even top 10 guys, so it's all moot. See last years draft for how bad fans wanted a QB early only to see them all drop and struggle with the exception of Bradford who legitimately was the only one worth taking. I just don't see this all as cut and dry. Ralph may lose fans, but I just can't see the team drafting to keep the fans happy. As soon as the guy they overreach for starts to stink, the fans will be all over the front office for picking that guy even if it is Locker or Mallet.

First, it must be stated that its still very early in the process and a lot can change. But, I could easily see 3 QB's going before 20 and I could see 3 going before pick 10. Its a QB driven league and the position is coveted. Luck's stock is already there. Locker's is more volatile, it seems people either love him or hate him. The people that love him think he's top 5 or even top pick material, and those that hate him dont put him past the 2nd round. Mallett's stock is already mid 1st according to most and is on the slow rise. When all is said and done, he could be considered by most to be a top ten pick.

I think its unlikely that we wont go QB with our high 1st pick. But that assumes both Luck and Mallett declare.

I just dont want us to reach.

SABURZFAN
10-23-2010, 10:57 AM
it wouldn't surprise me if the Bills take the Todd Blackledge of the 2011 class either. :ill:

DraftBoy
10-23-2010, 11:22 AM
They will not justify a Day 2 QB pick with this fanbase. Living here, I can tell you that will never happen. The press would eat them alive. It's all they preach.

In all due respect I disagree, look at how people have clinged to and talked up QB's like Levi Brown and Brian Brohm. Any QB taken will be put up on a pedestal.

YardRat
10-23-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't think Brohm and Brown have really been put on any kind of pedestal, nor do many (any?) think the franchise's future rests on their shoulders. Eventually, we're going to have to see what one or both can bring to the field of play, though.

As far as the fan base accepting anybody, IMO the drop in season tickets speaks volumes, and have to believe that at least part of that is discontent over the QB situation.

Whether the actual guy chosen actually pans out or not, if the team drafts a QB early next year that has a boatload of hype surrounding him don't be surprised to see the current level of season tix to be stable or possibly even increase because of that one selection.

X-Era
10-23-2010, 02:28 PM
In all due respect I disagree, look at how people have clinged to and talked up QB's like Levi Brown and Brian Brohm. Any QB taken will be put up on a pedestal.Totally agree.

If we just do one thing, I hope we never again sign any QB that people label as "serviceable". I'm not sure what that term means, but I'm sure I dont like it.

I assume it means that you can be put into service. But then, the requirements for that job means you can put on the equipment and uniform and that you can walk out onto the field... not sure thats all we should be looking for.

Buddo
10-24-2010, 05:32 AM
The bottom line, is that if we decide to take whatever QB, with our 1st round pick, he has to become the 'franchise' QB we have been missing since Kelly.
I don't believe for one moment, that if you have the opportunity to take a guy who will be a franchise QB, that 'reaching' is ever an issue.
Retrospectively, Bradford may actually have been the best player in the last draft, but he wasn't rated so. Anyone think it was a mistake to take him #1 ?
The Bills may or may not pick first, there's a long way to go in this season. If they don't pick first, they could still get a shot at all the QBs available, as not all of the poor teams, actually do need one. They might also be in a situation where they take a guy who is supposedly the second best, yet would still warrant a high pick.

As regards the class of '83, it will take a heck of an amount of beating. The majority of the QBs taken in the first round that year, are considerably better than the majority of the QBs in the league right now, with only Manning, Brady and Brees of that calibre.
Just because O'Brien played for the Jest, don't underestimate how good a QB he was at times. For one thing, he's the only QB ever to throw for over 400 yards in a game, and actually achieve the 'perfect' passer rating. He also made the Pro-Bowl a couple of times in his career, and at that time, when it wasn't so much of a popularity contest, and bearing in mind the level of competition he faced, was no mean achievement.