X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

My thoughts on helmet-to-helmet hits

It's all part of my Friday Football Frenzy, which gives notes, picks, and stats for this weekend's college and NFL games. Anyone who's ever heard or read me knows my stance on this issue hasn't changed. Players need to change some things as much as the league does. Here's what I mean:

http://tinyurl.com/2chgrpu

Your responses welcome.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: My thoughts on helmet-to-helmet hits

Good article, Sal. I knew that poor - or at least changed - tackling techniques have caused an increase in helmet-to-helmet hits, but I never considered the way helmets were fitted or worn to be a problem. Very good point.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• RockStar36
      Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
      • Sep 2004

Nice job Sal.

Your thought on the helmet issue is what I've been arguing about all week. But I guess some people like to think the NFL just doesn't any hits at all.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Part of it is simple to me - The Merriweather hit and the hit on Massaquoi both had the defender launch himself towards the offensive player without his arms extended to make a tackle. In otherwords, the head and helmet were the only "weapons"being used.

That is dirty.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• ZAZusmc03
          • Jan 2010

Absolutely Spot-On with the fitting of helmets. All through football, pop warner and up through high school, we wore extremely tight fitting helmets. Anytime I took mine off there was a giant red mark on my forehead. It is a really simple concept, I don't understand why its not being used. With the extra room, the helmet itself has momentum after a hit to crash down on the skull. I really don't feel I worded this correctly, But I can imagine you guys understand what im trying to get at.

Comment

• Coach Sal
            • Aug 2006

Thanks, guys.

I've actually tweeted the Commissioner abuot this and went to his live chat last week and wrote a comment about it.

Neither was responded to or discussed.

I would love to be someone who helped to get this issue out there, because I think it is an important one and effects players at all levels.
            Click to listen:

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

As long as the cash keeps tumbling in, nobody really cares, Sal.

Comment

• Coach Sal
                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Historian
                As long as the cash keeps tumbling in, nobody really cares, Sal.
                The cash will stop tumbling in when they start losing their stars to these things. And if they keep going down the paths they are going, that's exactly what's going to happen, because players are way bigger, faster, and stronger than ever before.
                Click to listen:

Comment

Working...
                X