PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on helmet-to-helmet hits

Coach Sal
10-22-2010, 02:20 PM
It's all part of my Friday Football Frenzy, which gives notes, picks, and stats for this weekend's college and NFL games. Anyone who's ever heard or read me knows my stance on this issue hasn't changed. Players need to change some things as much as the league does. Here's what I mean:

http://tinyurl.com/2chgrpu

Your responses welcome.

Jan Reimers
10-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Good article, Sal. I knew that poor - or at least changed - tackling techniques have caused an increase in helmet-to-helmet hits, but I never considered the way helmets were fitted or worn to be a problem. Very good point.

RockStar36
10-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Nice job Sal.

Your thought on the helmet issue is what I've been arguing about all week. But I guess some people like to think the NFL just doesn't any hits at all.

Dr. Lecter
10-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Part of it is simple to me - The Merriweather hit and the hit on Massaquoi both had the defender launch himself towards the offensive player without his arms extended to make a tackle. In otherwords, the head and helmet were the only "weapons"being used.

That is dirty.

ZAZusmc03
10-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Absolutely Spot-On with the fitting of helmets. All through football, pop warner and up through high school, we wore extremely tight fitting helmets. Anytime I took mine off there was a giant red mark on my forehead. It is a really simple concept, I don't understand why its not being used. With the extra room, the helmet itself has momentum after a hit to crash down on the skull. I really don't feel I worded this correctly, But I can imagine you guys understand what im trying to get at.

Coach Sal
10-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks, guys.

I've actually tweeted the Commissioner abuot this and went to his live chat last week and wrote a comment about it.

Neither was responded to or discussed.

I would love to be someone who helped to get this issue out there, because I think it is an important one and effects players at all levels.

Historian
10-23-2010, 06:04 AM
As long as the cash keeps tumbling in, nobody really cares, Sal.

Coach Sal
10-23-2010, 08:42 AM
As long as the cash keeps tumbling in, nobody really cares, Sal.

The cash will stop tumbling in when they start losing their stars to these things. And if they keep going down the paths they are going, that's exactly what's going to happen, because players are way bigger, faster, and stronger than ever before.