PDA

View Full Version : Cam Newton - QB Auburn

Ed
10-23-2010, 09:01 PM
So I don't know if Cam Newton has been discussed at all, but is there any chance he comes out this year and if so, where do you guys see him being drafted? I admit that I didn't even know who this guys was until a couple weeks ago and haven't watched him play at all, but I would like to discuss him because he seems really intriguing. When I first started hearing about him I figured he was just a big running qb, but it appears from his stats that he can throw the ball pretty well also.

So can anyone give me more insight on this guy? Any chance he could be a Bill next year? He seems like a total gamer and fun player to watch. Thanks!

X-Era
10-23-2010, 09:05 PM
So I don't know if Cam Newton has been discussed at all, but is there any chance he comes out this year and if so, where do you guys see him being drafted? I admit that I didn't even know who this guys was until a couple weeks ago and haven't watched him play at all, but I would like to discuss him because he seems really intriguing. When I first started hearing about him I figured he was just a big running qb, but it appears from his stats that he can throw the ball pretty well also.

So can anyone give me more insight on this guy? Any chance he could be a Bill next year? He seems like a total gamer and fun player to watch. Thanks!Im not a huge fan of his game as far as translating to the NFL. I see guys like Taylor, Kaepernick, and Pryor being very similar. Personally, I prefer a guy who can sit in the pocket and deliver the ball with precision. These guys are better in the college game where they can run with the ball. As far as being NFL quality passers, I see them as not up to par.

Ed
10-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Im not a huge fan of his game as far as translating to the NFL. I see guys like Taylor, Kaepernick, and Pryor being very similar. Personally, I prefer a guy who can sit in the pocket and deliver the ball with precision. These guys are better in the college game where they can run with the ball. As far as being NFL quality passers, I see them as not up to par.
That's probably the only thing I've really heard about him is that he's very similar to Pryor.

So would you say his biggest weakness right now is accuracy?

X-Era
10-23-2010, 09:15 PM
That's probably the only thing I've really heard about him is that he's very similar to Pryor.

So would you say his biggest weakness right now is accuracy?I would say decision making and poise. I dont see him as a guy who would go through progressions and find the open guy as much as he would pull it down and run. To me that means he has only two main options, the primary receiver or to run it. That's a limitation that will limit him in in the NFL.

Crisis
10-24-2010, 02:44 AM
he'll have to position change if he wants to start in the nfl.

Buffalo Thriller
10-24-2010, 05:29 PM
90% of my family are Auburn fans. I have watched every game and he is just a beast. All there is to it. Auburn knows he is a threat running, so they centered their offense around that. He can show poise and stay in the pocket, delivering a shot. I like him, but he will stay another year at Auburn.

DraftBoy
10-25-2010, 11:00 AM
he'll have to position change if he wants to start in the nfl.

No he won't.

Only position he could play is LB and he won't make the switch.

hydro
10-25-2010, 11:02 AM
No he won't.

Only position he could play is LB and he won't make the switch.

Why not TE? As long as he has some catching skill.

DraftBoy
10-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Why not TE? As long as he has some catching skill.

That's an option too, forgot about it. I just dont see him making the transition and there isn't a great reason for him too.

Most collegiate QB's who switch positions are for a big reason (size, lack of arm strength, etc..). The reason people are saying Newton will switch is because he's a run first QB who doesnt read defenses that well. Those are taught traits though that he can overcome and anybody who saw tape on him from when he was in HS or at Blinn last season, has seen his game grow in leaps and bounds this season over where it was just last year.

The kid isn't stupid, so he can get a playbook, and he has all the physical traits you desire in a QB. Can he put it all together? Who knows, but I think he will certainly get a shot too. He's very similar to Culpepper or Russell coming out with far more athleticism. Why would anybody want him to switch?

k-oneputt
10-25-2010, 11:11 AM
I'll tell you one who will have to switch, T. Pryor.

DraftBoy
10-25-2010, 11:16 AM
I'll tell you one who will have to switch, T. Pryor.

Not sure about that. He too I think we be given the opportunity first to play QB and then potentially switch. Everybody Ive talked to echoes those thoughts.

Ed
That's an option too, forgot about it. I just dont see him making the transition and there isn't a great reason for him too.

Most collegiate QB's who switch positions are for a big reason (size, lack of arm strength, etc..). The reason people are saying Newton will switch is because he's a run first QB who doesnt read defenses that well. Those are taught traits though that he can overcome and anybody who saw tape on him from when he was in HS or at Blinn last season, has seen his game grow in leaps and bounds this season over where it was just last year.

The kid isn't stupid, so he can get a playbook, and he has all the physical traits you desire in a QB. Can he put it all together? Who knows, but I think he will certainly get a shot too. He's very similar to Culpepper or Russell coming out with far more athleticism. Why would anybody want him to switch?
So what do you think the chances are that he comes out this year? I'm guessing it probably depends a lot on the lockout situation.

DraftBoy
So what do you think the chances are that he comes out this year? I'm guessing it probably depends a lot on the lockout situation.

If he is not listening to an agent between 0-15%, if he is its over 50%.

k-oneputt
10-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Not sure about that. He too I think we be given the opportunity first to play QB and then potentially switch. Everybody Ive talked to echoes those thoughts.

Yeah he will get his opportunity, and then he will land with the wr's within a year or two. That's if he wants to play in the league.
I think he would be a very good wr too. He has size, can run, and is a good athlete.
Doesn't throw the ball well enough to qb in the NFL.

DraftBoy
10-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah he will get his opportunity, and then he will land with the wr's within a year or two. That's if he wants to play in the league.
I think he would be a very good wr too. He has size, can run, and is a good athlete.
Doesn't throw the ball well enough to qb in the NFL.

He's not in a good fit at Ohio State and Ive heard things about why he is struggling.

The kid can throw the ball, its just that he doesnt throw it technically right. With a innovative OC he could be a good QB. Im not sold on him not being a QB yet.

Although I do agree he could be a hell of a WR in the NFL.

Ed
11-01-2010, 10:52 AM
So this past weekend was really my first chance to watch Cam Newton in live action and I thought he threw the ball pretty well. I thought he showed some poise also on a few plays where he had to stand in the pocket and wait for things to develop. I don't know anything about reading progressions, but his accuracy looked pretty good to me.

Thoughts?

DraftBoy
11-01-2010, 11:57 AM
So this past weekend was really my first chance to watch Cam Newton in live action and I thought he threw the ball pretty well. I thought he showed some poise also on a few plays where he had to stand in the pocket and wait for things to develop. I don't know anything about reading progressions, but his accuracy looked pretty good to me.

Thoughts?
I didnt see the game yet, but his numbers showed a pretty solid game. Ill be interested to see how much he worked the middle of the field between the 5-15 yard area.

X-Era
11-10-2010, 06:10 AM
The investigation on him is building:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5786315

"Two sources who recruit for Mississippi State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/344/mississippi-state-bulldogs) said that Cecil Newton and his son, quarterback Cam Newton (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=232016), admitted in separate phone conversations to a pay-for-play plan while Newton was being recruited late last year."

tampabay25690
11-10-2010, 08:29 AM
More drama for CAM....
Eventually it will all come out and we will have a Reggie Bush thing in a few years....

Ingtar33
11-10-2010, 07:19 PM
no.. it's looking like the NCAA might kill Auburn's season in the next two or three weeks...

especially if they find a smoking gun so to speak.

They're going to move fast to prevent another Bush/USC fiasco.

(BTW: i believe the charges)

SaviorEdwards
11-10-2010, 08:11 PM
$EC $EC $EC $EC :darth:

tampabay25690
11-10-2010, 08:24 PM
$EC $EC $EC $EC :darth:

HA HA HA

DraftBoy
11-10-2010, 08:45 PM
no.. it's looking like the NCAA might kill Auburn's season in the next two or three weeks...

especially if they find a smoking gun so to speak.

They're going to move fast to prevent another Bush/USC fiasco.

(BTW: i believe the charges)

Its been almost a year long investigation already, one would wonder why they would of waited this long if they had something already.

X-Era
11-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Its been almost a year long investigation already, one would wonder why they would of waited this long if they had something already.They do tend to pull a McCarthy in the college ranks. If you have a legit case make it, if not move on. No need to damage a top notch squad with some prolonged investigation.

Ingtar33
11-11-2010, 01:00 AM
Its been almost a year long investigation already, one would wonder why they would of waited this long if they had something already.

I suspect the story leaked precisely because the NCAA is investigating it when Auburn is nearing a title game.

It's clear the story leaked from Mississippi... and they have recorded convos (from what they're claiming) with both Cam and his father talking about the money.

The lawyer responses from auburn and cam newton make me think they're guilty as sin and know it.

What i know of college recruiting i believe this story is probably true... it's a little more blatant then some forms of payoffs I'm personally aware of (the most common form is giving well paying jobs to family of the player at the university or on the coaching staff... one in particular comes to mind with a father of a highly recruited player basically spending every convo with schools asking two questions...

1) can you guarantee he'll be starting QB in his redshirt freshman or sophomore year?
2) can you guarantee me a job on the coaching staff as a hs scout or player coach, and can you pay me more then school xyz

-that father got his hs scouting job at the school in question, and a 6 figure salary... and this was just with a pac 10 school and this was 10 years ago (University of Arizona in case you're wondering). His son did start in his freshman year but not as a QB (he was a far better at the position change then he ever would have been as a QB imho)

This was not unique... this is pretty freaking typical.

Asking for 200k however.. is a bit more blatant then typical... usually the request (for highly recruited players) is a house or car or something... if they're going to ask for it (not many do, and believe me the colleges don't offer, but they do it enough they don't blink when someone asks)

DraftBoy
11-11-2010, 07:29 AM
I suspect the story leaked precisely because the NCAA is investigating it when Auburn is nearing a title game.

It's clear the story leaked from Mississippi... and they have recorded convos (from what they're claiming) with both Cam and his father talking about the money.

The lawyer responses from auburn and cam newton make me think they're guilty as sin and know it.

What i know of college recruiting i believe this story is probably true... it's a little more blatant then some forms of payoffs I'm personally aware of (the most common form is giving well paying jobs to family of the player at the university or on the coaching staff... one in particular comes to mind with a father of a highly recruited player basically spending every convo with schools asking two questions...

1) can you guarantee he'll be starting QB in his redshirt freshman or sophomore year?
2) can you guarantee me a job on the coaching staff as a hs scout or player coach, and can you pay me more then school xyz

-that father got his hs scouting job at the school in question, and a 6 figure salary... and this was just with a pac 10 school and this was 10 years ago (University of Arizona in case you're wondering). His son did start in his freshman year but not as a QB (he was a far better at the position change then he ever would have been as a QB imho)

Asking for 200k however.. is a bit more blatant then typical... usually the request (for highly recruited players) is a house or car or something... if they're going to ask for it (not many do, and believe me the colleges don't offer, but they do it enough they don't blink when someone asks)

It appears to me and Ive talked to one person who is a low level NCAA employee that the NCAA's point of view on this, is that they hammered USC hard was to send a message and that message was we are sick of this crap and if you do this and we are going to crack you. They've taken the stance that every violation found after USC will get hit harder and harder until that point is made.

See UNC, and if my guy is correct, and I think he is, then expect Auburn to face the toughest punishment yet. Bowl suspension, losing tv rights, scholarship loss, etc...

DraftBoy
11-11-2010, 07:34 AM

Yea that recruiting story doesn't shock me, Ive heard a few not as many as you Im sure, but Ive heard some that just boggle the mind with how they get away with it.

By the way if you really want to see something interesting FOIA Tim Tebow's Dad's (Bob Tebow) church donations from the years prior to him in school to the year's after. If you get the 909's you'll see the church donations jump from $323K in 2005 to 960K in 2009.

tampabay25690
11-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Yea that recruiting story doesn't shock me, Ive heard a few not as many as you Im sure, but Ive heard some that just boggle the mind with how they get away with it.

By the way if you really want to see something interesting FOIA Tim Tebow's Dad's (Bob Tebow) church donations from the years prior to him in school to the year's after. If you get the 909's you'll see the church donations jump from $323K in 2005 to 960K in 2009.
DB leave my Tim alone............LOL

DraftBoy
11-12-2010, 07:35 AM
DB leave my Tim alone............LOL

Not my fault his father's followers finally found Jesus in their wallets. Just pointing out how facts without context can be taken every which way.

DraftBoy
11-12-2010, 07:36 AM
For the record my take on Newton;
http://tinyurl.com/35w87j3

k-oneputt
11-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Big deal. This has been going on for the last 50 yrs. and the NCAA has known about it all along.

SaviorEdwards
11-12-2010, 03:09 PM
The SEC is a full contact league on and off the field, this whole thing just stinks. This could fire up an all out war.