PDA

View Full Version : George Edwards needs to go

Extremebillsfan247
10-24-2010, 02:36 PM
This guy is a horrible Defensive Coordinator. He needs to be fired in my opinion. We need a DC with experience, not a guy that doesn't know what he's doing.

TacklingDummy
10-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Agreed.

Nighthawk
10-24-2010, 02:41 PM
I've been saying this for weeks...the guy is absolutely lost out there.

Johnny Bugmenot
10-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Thank you, Captain Obvious. In other news, water is wet.

Buffalo Thriller
10-24-2010, 02:45 PM
And I thought my posts were more obvious..

SeatownBillsFan21
10-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Really missing Perry Fewell right about now

lmcshadow
10-24-2010, 02:55 PM
you are so right

Extremebillsfan247
10-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Well I'm not one to usually rip a coach in his inaugural year with the team, but giving up 34+ points on defense for 5 straight games is just speaking for itself. George Edwards needs to answer for that. That is his defense, his responsibility, and he is failing at a level never seen before. JMO

Cleve
10-24-2010, 05:50 PM
The run defense (if you can call it that) has been pathetic and remains pathetic.

I recall that the Ravens were averaging 9.6 yds per carry in the first half. It was perplexing that the Ravens chose to throw so often in the first half given how dominating their ground attack was.

If Edwards can't fix such an obvious continued flaw in his defense, then he needs to be shown the door.

Buddo
10-24-2010, 05:50 PM
While I don't necessarily consider the criticism to be unfair, it might help if the guy actually had better 'fitting' players to actually work with. ATM what he has, is mismatched mediocrity. The players also have to carry the can, it isn't all on Edwards.

SquishDaFish
10-24-2010, 06:07 PM
John Fox getting fired and coming here would be perfect

BertSquirtgum
10-24-2010, 06:11 PM
yeah this guy needs more experience but this old news there guy......the defense didn't play too bad today.....too many mistakes.....you turn the ball over 4 times and you don't deserve to win. fitz had a great game but he was also intercepted twice which added 14 points.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=196896&highlight=george+edwards

Dr. Lecter
10-24-2010, 06:15 PM
The Bills need about 6 or 7 new starters on defense before any change to DC will do any good.

They have no LBs that are NFL starting quality. They have one, maybe two starting DL that are NFL starting quality and one of them is playing NT when he should be at DE.

Get 4 LBs. One or two more DL. Possible a safety.

I am not saying Edwards is great, but he has nothing to work with especially at LB.

YardRat
10-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Bringing somebody experienced in usually means a few players will follow also.

I'll take an experienced DC and a couple of talent upgrades at the same time, anytime.

Forward_Lateral
10-24-2010, 06:48 PM
The problem is, they are trying to make a 3-4 defense out of guys who are made for a 4-3 cover 2 style defense.

There isn't a single guy on the starting Defense that is a 3-4 guy, except maybe Dwan Edwards.

Spiderweb
10-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Perry also had more than his share of moments, but Edwards seems absolutely clueless.

trapezeus
10-24-2010, 08:46 PM
if coaching is the reason they get no pressure, then fire the DC. if its because the players are under talented and not made for the scheme, get new players.

i think its the players. they haven't gotten pressure for years. and they are the same idiots we've had for a while.

and what is so telling is that the defensive players all say the same thing. "We know where we are supposed to be, but we aren't getting there."

I heard whitner say it, I heard Poz say it, and i heard kyle williams say it. i thinkt he coaches are putting them in positions to win, they just suck so royally on the front 7 it hurts.

cookie G
10-24-2010, 10:25 PM
The Bills need about 6 or 7 new starters on defense before any change to DC will do any good.

They have no LBs that are NFL starting quality. They have one, maybe two starting DL that are NFL starting quality and one of them is playing NT when he should be at DE.

I am not saying Edwards is great, but he has nothing to work with especially at LB.

2009 3 games out of 16 in which the D gave up 30 or more points.

2010 5 of 6 games giving up 34 or more points.

2009 10 of 16 games of holding a D to 20 or fewer points.

2010 1 out of 6, with no end in site.

Don't make excuses for the guy.

The attempt to change the D was a really, really dumb idea.

Dr. Lecter
10-24-2010, 10:28 PM
2009 3 games out of 16 in which the D gave up 30 or more points.

2010 5 of 6 games giving up 34 or more points.

2009 10 of 16 games of holding a D to 20 or fewer points.

2010 1 out of 6, with no end in site.

Don't make excuses for the guy.

The attempt to change the D was a really, really dumb idea.
I am not making excuses for him.

Isn't that more of a Gailey and Nix issue, not an Edwards issue?

My point is that they do not have players for a 3-4. Edwards can't coach a 3-4 scheme with the talent they have.

cookie G
10-24-2010, 10:42 PM
I am not making excuses for him.

Isn't that more of a Gailey and Nix issue, not an Edwards issue?

My point is that they do not have players for a 3-4. Edwards can't coach a 3-4 scheme with the talent they have.

Gailey was dumb for professing a "scheme change" before he knew what was wrong.

Edwards has shown no ability to run either a 3-4 or a 4-3, or any other D for that matter.

I don't know why anyone would trust him with 6 or 7 new players.

djjimkelly
10-24-2010, 11:28 PM

well said exactly the thoughts i was thinking

Mr. Pink
10-24-2010, 11:37 PM

Disagree completely.

Look what Rob Ryan has done with a Cleveland defense to see what a good coach can do with weak talent.

The Browns front 7, outside of Shaun Rogers-who when he wants to can be completely dominant-is a mismatch of journeymen and below average starters.

mush69
10-25-2010, 03:52 AM

Thr Giants aren't

jamze132
10-25-2010, 09:41 AM

No he has nothing to work with and he obviously doesn't know what a blitz or a non-vanilla defensive scheme is either.

justasportsfan
10-25-2010, 09:43 AM
And I thought my posts were more obvious..

say what? The only thing thats obvious in your "defense is not to blame" thread is that you don't know what you're talking about.

Nighthawk
10-25-2010, 12:23 PM

No, no we're not...

Nighthawk
10-25-2010, 12:26 PM

Hmmm, I believe we were having this conversation about the offense before Gailey took over. Gailey has made the offense much better because he is a very good offensive mind who's had success in this league. Edwards is awful and is not helping out his defense at all. Yes, we could use some more players, but coaching is a BIG part of the problems right now. If you need evidence, just look to the offensive side to see what good coaching can do. All of sudden the OL doesn't look too bad, the WR's look good and are making plays and the QB is having success.

Coaching is a HUGE part of a team's success or failure.

BuffaloBeliever
10-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally I thought George Edwards would be a very good acquisition to this coaching staff; I had heard a lot of good things about him from friends of mine and my family in Florida, who btw. are huge Dolphins fans. He has always done a great job with the LB's down there. Anyway, the guy's defense here in Buffalo has just been awful and I mean as awful as it gets and he's by all means responsible. If this defense doesn't find a way to improve as the season progresses, he shouldn't be the DC after the season; there'll likely be a lot of good DC-options out there after the season (John Fox, Mike Singletary, Greg Manusky, Ron Rivera)