PDA

View Full Version : I'm proud of our guys

Mad Max
10-24-2010, 06:09 PM
We all expected a Ravens blowout and they barely beat us.

Fitz played off his head. All of our WRs showed up. The OL played very well. A Spiller sighting was made. Gailey called a good(if not perfect) game.

We had the usual slew of calls against us.

We're on the right track.

Dr. Lecter
10-24-2010, 06:16 PM
They still lost.

And "the usual slew of calls against us." is not what the loss was all about

zone
10-24-2010, 06:18 PM
They still lost.

No that is exactly what the loss was about. That interception in the endzone that was not called an interception changed the game.

YardRat
10-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Turnovers.

Mad Max
10-24-2010, 06:23 PM
They still lost.

So you expected a win?

Dr. Lecter
10-24-2010, 06:30 PM
So you expected a win?
No.

But wins get credit and praise. Losses do not.

Mad Max
10-24-2010, 07:00 PM
No.

But wins get credit and praise. Losses do not.

I'm going to go ahead and be proud of this performance. At this point in my fanhood I know wins are going to be scarce so illl take solace where I can find it.

imbondz
10-24-2010, 08:44 PM
sorry, but this was the funnest Bills game i've watched in a long while. Still disappointing, but before where I saw no hope, I at least saw flickers of hope today. Fitzpatrick played great, Evans made great catches, dropped a catchable pass at a horrible time, the o-line as a whole played ok, tho I give more credit to Fitz for getting the ball out quick. Thought Jackson played very well, getting tough yards. Spiller is a rookie and made a rookie mistake. Gailey looked excited on the sidelines, and called a great game, overall, great game against one of the best teams in the league.

trapezeus
10-24-2010, 08:48 PM
i said at the beginning of the season, i said that i'd be ok with a bad season as long as it was entertaining. Today was entertaining. i knew at 24-10 that we weren't going to win, but it was just fun to know we had harbaugh by the short and curly's. he looked so confused.

we're a bad team that gave a good team a heart attack. the ravens still can't be happy that they needed overtime. this season is what it is. if we have to watch 10 more games like that and lose them all, versus watching games like the jets where not a single thing goes our way, i'd take 10 of these ravens games.

BertSquirtgum
10-24-2010, 08:51 PM
They still lost.

you can say that as many times as you want, in as many threads as you want but some of those ****ty calls sure as **** didn't help them

OpIv37
10-25-2010, 08:15 AM
We all expected a Ravens blowout and they barely beat us.

Fitz played off his head. All of our WRs showed up. The OL played very well. A Spiller sighting was made. Gailey called a good(if not perfect) game.

We had the usual slew of calls against us.

We're on the right track.

I'm so sick of giving this credit for effort and "almosts." I refuse to give credit for anything other than results.

Being proud after a loss is a bi-product of a decade of losing. Saints, Patriots, Colts or Steelers fans would never say something like this.

Mahdi
10-25-2010, 08:20 AM
I'm going to go ahead and be proud of this performance. At this point in my fanhood I know wins are going to be scarce so illl take solace where I can find it.
The fact that we have some talent on this team after all is something to be encouraged by. Winning is not the main goal this season, it is development and internal competition.

Jan Reimers
10-25-2010, 08:33 AM
I'm so sick of giving this credit for effort and "almosts." I refuse to give credit for anything other than results.

Being proud after a loss is a bi-product of a decade of losing. Saints, Patriots, Colts or Steelers fans would never say something like this.
Proud is probably the wrong word, but I think we should at least be encouraged by our performance yesterday.

It appears that our young OTs are developing, along with Johnson and Nelson at WR. Thus, we don't appear to have the critical needs on the O-line and at WR that we thought earlier in the season. Shawn Nelson may be the answer at TE as well.

At least we seem to have fewer holes, and can concentrate on QB and the defense - primarily DL and LB - in building this team.

OpIv37
10-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Proud is probably the wrong word, but I think we should at least be encouraged by our performance yesterday.

It appears that our young OTs are developing, along with Johnson and Nelson at WR. Thus, we don't appear to have the critical needs on the O-line and at WR that we thought earlier in the season. Shawn Nelson may be the answer at TE as well.

At least we seem to have fewer holes, and can concentrate on QB and the defense - primarily DL and LB - in building this team.

I can buy "encouraged."

Nelson needs to block better but he may be the answer as a receiving TE.

jmb1099
10-25-2010, 09:12 AM
if we only had two weeks to prepare for every game

jamze132
10-25-2010, 09:17 AM

No, proud is the right word becuase for the first time in a LONG time, our team has heart. Well at least the offense.

madness
10-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Yes, we still lost but any other time we would have found a dozen ways to lose that game before it even came down to a FG to send the game in overtime. I for one am very proud of the effort left out there Sunday.

I don't care about the calls or lack of calls, this team still beat themselves and for once we see exactly what they have been talking about. The Ravens didn't win this game... the Bills gave it to them. As long as they continue to move forward and eliminate self inflicted errors, we should see this team improve.

Bill Cody
10-25-2010, 09:31 AM

You called the game a "debacle" before it started. This was NOT a debacle. A loss is still a loss but a starving man does not throw out a Happy Meal.

justasportsfan
10-25-2010, 09:51 AM
They still lost.

JUst wash that sand out of your vagina Lecter. No ones happy/satisfied we lost. Just encouraged that we're moving the right direction offensively compared to the last few years.

:*****slap:

Saratoga Slim
10-25-2010, 11:08 AM
i said at the beginning of the season, i said that i'd be ok with a bad season as long as it was entertaining. Today was entertaining. i knew at 24-10 that we weren't going to win, but it was just fun to know we had harbaugh by the short and curly's. he looked so confused.

we're a bad team that gave a good team a heart attack. the ravens still can't be happy that they needed overtime. this season is what it is. if we have to watch 10 more games like that and lose them all, versus watching games like the jets where not a single thing goes our way, i'd take 10 of these ravens games.

My thoughts exactly. The best case scenario for this season was always to lose entertainingly.

DraftBoy
10-25-2010, 11:15 AM

How are you encouraged exactly?

We allowed a 14 pt lead to get down to 4 with under 2 minutes left in the half and ultimately lost the game.

This isn't an offensive juggernaut of a team either, they are 15th in total o.

There a few individual players to be happy about, but I dont see anything overall to be excited or look forward to.

Its game we should of won given how much we were up, that we blew in the end.

Bangarang
10-25-2010, 11:37 AM
It's amazing what having a competent quarterback does for your offense. The biggest problem is the defense.

I had a blast watching the game, though.

Zero
10-25-2010, 01:09 PM
I cant lie. For the first time in a while, I really feel proud of this team...

OpIv37
10-25-2010, 01:54 PM
You called the game a "debacle" before it started. This was NOT a debacle. A loss is still a loss but a starving man does not throw out a Happy Meal.

Blew a 14 point lead.
Allowed 37 total points.
Allowed 24 unanswered points.
Committed 4 turnovers

How exactly is that not a debacle?

OpIv37
10-25-2010, 01:58 PM
There a few individual players to be happy about

It's sad, but that alone is an improvement over the previous 4 games.

DraftBoy
10-25-2010, 02:09 PM
It's sad, but that alone is an improvement over the previous 4 games.

Im not saying there aren't positive to be drawn, but we still totally blew a lead and lost game we were in complete control of and decent to good teams close that game out. We couldn't, nothing to be happy about with that.

Jan Reimers
10-25-2010, 02:25 PM
How are you encouraged exactly?
Our O-line, particularly at tackle, is improving. Our WR corps looks solid. Shawn Nelson is back. Fitz played very well. We scored 34 points and moved the ball all day against one of the best Ds in the league.

I can't be encouraged by an offense that is averaging 26 points per game in Fitz' 4 starts, as opposed to 8.5 under Edwards, or by the fact that we appear to no longer have gaping holes at virtually every position?

I didn't say I was encouraged by our D. It stinks. But with the O rapidly improving, it seems that we can concentrate most of our draft efforts on strengthening the D.

chernobylwraiths
10-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Blew a 14 point lead.
Allowed 37 total points.
Committed 4 turnovers

How did we allow 24 unanswered points?

jamze132
10-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Man, some folks on here seem to be pissed at ****ing improvement. When was the last time the Bills offense had a 300+ yard passer? 4 TDs through the air? 34 points on the #3 defense in the NFL?

Yeah, the Bills made the same mistakes they always do but they are getting better, at least on offense and that is a huge difference from any Dick Jauron ran team we had half of the last decade. Are we anywhere we need to be do consistently compete? No, but I did see a team for the first time in 4-5 years with some ****ing heart.

Bill Cody
10-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Blew a 14 point lead.
Allowed 37 total points.
Committed 4 turnovers

For starters a "debacle" is not a game that you cover the spread by 10 points. Everyone knows Baltimore is a super bowl contender, one of the top 5 teams in the league. Despite your negatives we took that team to OT. Try being honest if you can: when you were heading off to Baltimore and describing the game as a "debacle" was 37-34 in OT what you meant by that? If you say yes you're lying.

OpIv37
10-25-2010, 03:14 PM
For starters a "debacle" is not a game that you cover the spread by 10 points. Everyone knows Baltimore is a super bowl contender, one of the top 5 teams in the league. Despite your negatives we took that team to OT. Try being honest if you can: when you were heading off to Baltimore and describing the game as a "debacle" was 37-34 in OT what you meant by that? If you say yes you're lying.
I'm sorry but this was a debacle- maybe not in the sense that we were dominated by a better team, but in the sense that we blew a completely winnable game. While we did show some proficiency in some areas, it was yet another epic choke job like the Pats last year or Dallas in 07 or Losman against the Jets.

Fans of most teams would consider an epic choke like that to be a debacle. The only reason Bills fans like you don't say the same thing is because we're so jaded at this point. EVERY Bills fan knew it was over as soon as we fumbled before the half. Pathetic.

DraftBoy
10-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Our O-line, particularly at tackle, is improving. Our WR corps looks solid. Shawn Nelson is back. Fitz played very well. We scored 34 points and moved the ball all day against one of the best Ds in the league.

I can't be encouraged by an offense that is averaging 26 points per game in Fitz' 4 starts, as opposed to 8.5 under Edwards, or by the fact that we appear to no longer have gaping holes at virtually every position?

I didn't say I was encouraged by our D. It stinks. But with the O rapidly improving, it seems that we can concentrate most of our draft efforts on strengthening the D.

Nobody said you can't I just dont see what you're seeing. I see a team that blew a lead and there is nothing to be encouraged about that. Losing is unacceptable at all times no matter how it happens but blowing the lead is about as unacceptable and pathetic as it gets. If you are up 14 in an NFL game, it should be a game you don't lose. Its really that simple for me. Absolutely unexcusable to blow that kind of a lead.

Zero
10-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Blew a 14 point lead.
Allowed 37 total points.
Committed 4 turnovers

Hey, OP, I usually agree with 99% of the things you have to say, but even I have to say you are being a tad bit negative on this game. This team is 0-6, it's a bad team, make no mistake about that. However, even a pessimist/realist like myself can't help but be somewhat encouraged by the effort I saw on the field Sunday. Balitimore is a Superbowl contender, and we gave said Superbowl contender all they could handle, took them to OT- at home, all while being offensively impressive against the NFL's 3rd ranked defense. Isn't that in and of itself, something to feel good about?

Extremebillsfan247
10-25-2010, 07:16 PM

Being proud after a loss is a bi-product of a decade of losing. Saints, Patriots, Colts or Steelers fans would never say something like this. Being a fan of a team that can't find ways to win football games, what would you expect? Saints, Patriots, Colts, and Steelers fans don't have any idea what we go through as Bills fans. None of them had to go through what we have.

justasportsfan
10-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Nobody said you can't I just dont see what you're seeing. I see a team that blew a lead and there is nothing to be encouraged about that. Losing is unacceptable at all times no matter how it happens but blowing the lead is about as unacceptable and pathetic as it gets. If you are up 14 in an NFL game, it should be a game you don't lose. Its really that simple for me. Absolutely unexcusable to blow that kind of a lead.
Jan was talking about the offense and I agree with him. The offense didn't blow the lead.

The Warrior
10-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Slowly bur surely the bill's are improving this year. I would say they might improve next game. Guys let's face it Jauron and other not so good people (used to work with the team or at OBD) have hurt this team in a HUGE way and really hurt the players it is like a whole new world for this team when Gailey is doing all of the things. You can't help or build a team in one day or night. It will take time be patient. Out of all of the problem's it will take atlease a year or 2 with the right changes. I have faith in Nix and Gailey slowly but surely they are making the ship heading the right way. I cannot wait till next week's game. No win's just yet but I expect one here soon.

DraftBoy
10-26-2010, 07:38 AM
Jan was talking about the offense and I agree with him. The offense didn't blow the lead.

Yes unfortunately a team has more than just an offense.

And our offense has plenty to work on itself; two INT's that led to points, we still have no real running game, despite having opened them up through the air. And lets not forget the 3 fumbles, two of which were lost.

Im happy with the OL only allowing one sack, somebody else finally stepping up in the passing game and our 3rd Down offensive efficiency but that's about all the positive there was in a game we absolutely blew.

OpIv37
10-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Hey, OP, I usually agree with 99% of the things you have to say, but even I have to say you are being a tad bit negative on this game. This team is 0-6, it's a bad team, make no mistake about that. However, even a pessimist/realist like myself can't help but be somewhat encouraged by the effort I saw on the field Sunday. Balitimore is a Superbowl contender, and we gave said Superbowl contender all they could handle, took them to OT- at home, all while being offensively impressive against the NFL's 3rd ranked defense. Isn't that in and of itself, something to feel good about?

Giving the team credit for "effort" and "almosts" is a loser's mentality. We've been doing it for years. I refuse to be impressed by anything other than results.

OpIv37
10-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Being a fan of a team that can't find ways to win football games, what would you expect? Saints, Patriots, Colts, and Steelers fans don't have any idea what we go through as Bills fans. None of them had to go through what we have.

I would expect fans to remember that winning is the goal. Just because we can't find ways to do it doesn't change the goal.

Bill Cody
10-26-2010, 01:52 PM
I would expect fans to remember that winning is the goal. Just because we can't find ways to do it doesn't change the goal.

It's the goal but it's not the only goal. I'm also interested in being entertained. Because if you have a weak team you're not going to achieve "the goal" of winning often, it our case maybe never. I'm not going to be in a pissed off/disapointed mood every week for the next several years if the Bills play hard and play well, like they did yesterday only to lose. Truthfully I'd rather be 0-16 and have 16 games like Sunday than be 7-9 and play like we did under Jauron. Baltimore has better players than we do. They're better. We almost beat them. I'll take it. You won't? That's fine.:up:

Extremebillsfan247
10-26-2010, 02:24 PM
I would expect fans to remember that winning is the goal. Just because we can't find ways to do it doesn't change the goal. Winning is the goal, your right, but hate will not help this team win.

k-oneputt
10-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Proud my ass. This is PROFESSIONAL football. You win or you lose. There is no "I'm proud of you ."

justasportsfan
10-26-2010, 02:36 PM
No one expected this years team to win but we hoped for improvement which is the first step to achieving the goal of winning.

Extremebillsfan247
10-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Proud my ass. This is PROFESSIONAL football. You win or you lose. There is no "I'm proud of you ."Go watch another team then

justasportsfan
10-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Yes unfortunately a team has more than just an offense.

And our offense has plenty to work on itself; two INT's that led to points, we still have no real running game, despite having opened them up through the air. And lets not forget the 3 fumbles, two of which were lost.

Im happy with the OL only allowing one sack, somebody else finally stepping up in the passing game and our 3rd Down offensive efficiency but that's about all the positive there was in a game we absolutely blew.

No doubt there's plenty of room for improvement. No one is doubting that, but no one can say they didn't show improvement either.

k-oneputt
10-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Go watch another team then

You watch another team. I call it like it is. This is a pro team , there is no cupcakes, and the" you all played well "at the end. And I guarantee, I have watched many more Bills games then you.

Dr. Lecter
10-26-2010, 02:42 PM
"Attaboys" are fine in pee wee, high school and even college.

I don't see the value of them in the NFL

k-oneputt
10-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Proud for what ? Losing again?
I would hope nobody on that team is proud for playing a close game.

Extremebillsfan247
10-26-2010, 02:49 PM
You watch another team. I call it like it is. This is a pro team , there is no cupcakes, and the" you all played well "at the end. And I guarantee, I have watched many more Bills games then you.
As far as watching more games than me its possible, but guaranteeing it is pretty dumb considering the fact that you know absolutely nothing about me.

Now to the topic, knocking fans down for trying to show credit to individual players for actually playing like they should play is just as stupid as crying and whining about the team losing as if doing it enough will actually change things. lol

k-oneputt
10-26-2010, 02:52 PM
As far as watching more games than me its possible, but guaranteeing it is pretty dumb considering the fact that you know absolutely nothing about me.

Now to the topic, knocking fans down for trying to show credit to individual players for actually playing like they should play is just as stupid as crying and whining about the team losing as if doing it enough will actually change things. lol

That's for kids. These guys get paid to win.
Bottom line league, win or lose.

Extremebillsfan247
10-26-2010, 02:54 PM
That's for kids. These guys get paid to win.
Bottom line league, win or lose. whining and crying is for kids too. lol

k-oneputt
10-26-2010, 02:58 PM
whining and crying is for kids too. lol

Yes it is, when dealing with KIDS. Not so-called professional football players.

Jan Reimers
10-26-2010, 03:15 PM
I want to win as badly as anyone, so I understand the guys that are saying we shouldn't be proud of a loss, or willing to accept anything other than a win.

But I am still encouraged by the development of our offense, the way we fought back, and the progress of several of our players. I won't be satisfied until we win, but I see nothing wrong with being encouraged by several things moving in the right direction.

DraftBoy
10-26-2010, 03:27 PM
I want to win as badly as anyone, so I understand the guys that are saying we shouldn't be proud of a loss, or willing to accept anything other than a win.

But I am still encouraged by the development of our offense, the way we fought back, and the progress of several of our players. I won't be satisfied until we win, but I see nothing wrong with being encouraged by several things moving in the right direction.

If this progress or moving in the right direction doesn't result in wins, then is it really what you are calling it?

We won't know till seasons end, but your basing your opinion on potential results, not actual ones.

Jan Reimers
10-26-2010, 03:32 PM
At this stage, a 37-34 loss in OT to a good team is much better than a 40-0 blow out. It is not as good as a win, but it shows progress from our earlier games.

If some don't agree, that's fine. We're just trading opinions as we usually do here.

Bill Cody
10-27-2010, 10:38 AM
If this progress or moving in the right direction doesn't result in wins, then is it really what you are calling it?

It's not hard to make a distinction between the Green Bay game and the Ravens game. If you or the other hard line "only wins matter" crowd can't see the difference then you're blind. I'm not saying I'm fine with "losing with honor" forever but I am this year.

Extremebillsfan247
10-28-2010, 06:11 AM
Yes it is, when dealing with KIDS. Not so-called professional football players.I think the point of that eluded you just a bit. :roflmao:

k-oneputt
10-28-2010, 07:39 AM
I don't make excuses for paid professionals.