PDA

View Full Version : Stop people - just stop

Dr. Lecter
10-24-2010, 06:28 PM
The Bills did not lose the Ravens game because of the officials.

They lost for the following reasons:

1. Turnovers. You don't fumble a KO return with ~2 minutes left in the first half. You do not throw two INTs in the 3rd quarter. And you sure as hell do not fumble in OT.

2. Big plays. The Flea Flicker was a great call and Leodis and Whitner both got burned badly.

3. The TE. The first one Byrd went for the INT. Hey dumbass - go for the hit. In doing so he eliminated whatever small chance Whitner had of making a hit. One the second, Scott got destroyed.

4. Whitner dropping the int that would have been a TD. Tough play for sure- catching the ball running at that angle is not easy. But it needed to be made.

5. Badly timed penalties. Hangarnter has to keep his helmet on. Williams can't be offsides in OT. Florence's PI was terrible - had he turned around there would have not been a penalty.

The Bills lost this game. It is a shame - Fitz gave them every chance to win as did Evans and Steve Johnson. Lindell made a great kick to get the game into OT. Gailey was masterful on the sidelines. And the players messed up.

It is the Bills fault - not the refs.

Don't absolve them of responsibility.

The Bills can control what they do - they can't control the refs. What they had to control they did not do a good job of doing so, especially when needed.

YardRat
10-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Absolutely spot on, Doc.

Forward_Lateral
10-24-2010, 06:36 PM
The Defense sucked, flat out.

Crisis
10-24-2010, 06:37 PM
evans had a good game but he did have a huge drop on the game tying drive at end of regulation....he could've caught it and turned out of bounds and we would have had a shot at the endzone with a little more time left....and who knows what would've happened.

the defense is pathetic. atleast the offense is getting better.

RockStar36
10-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Agreed, but the refs do deserve some blame. And while the Corner pick might have been by the rules, they're awful rules. He had that and would've clearly been in bounds if he weren't on Boldin.

The last buffalo fan
10-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Agreed, but still It was a hell of a game, go Bills! :beers:

RoscoeMagic
10-24-2010, 07:43 PM
I thought they lost cause they scored less points :tongue:

Spiderweb
10-24-2010, 08:39 PM

1. Turnovers. You don't fumble a KO return with ~2 minutes left in the first half. You do not throw two INTs in the 3rd quarter. And you sure as hell do not fumble in OT.

2. Big plays. The Flea Flicker was a great call and Leodis and Whitner both got burned badly.

3. The TE. The first one Byrd went for the INT. Hey dumbass - go for the hit. In doing so he eliminated whatever small chance Whitner had of making a hit. One the second, Scott got destroyed.

4. Whitner dropping the int that would have been a TD. Tough play for sure- catching the ball running at that angle is not easy. But it needed to be made.

5. Badly timed penalties. Hangarnter has to keep his helmet on. Williams can't be offsides in OT. Florence's PI was terrible - had he turned around there would have not been a penalty.

The Bills lost this game. It is a shame - Fitz gave them every chance to win as did Evans and Steve Johnson. Lindell made a great kick to get the game into OT. Gailey was masterful on the sidelines. And the players messed up.

The Bills can control what they do - they can't control the refs. What they had to control they did not do a good job of doing so, especially when needed.
Whitner also failed to react very quickly on Heaps 2nd TD. Scott was blown away yet Whitner was there and was far too late to react as is his norm.

As for the ref's, yeah, where was the blatantly obvious PI call on the play Corner appeared to have intercepted the pass in the endzone. I still believe it was a pick as Fez blew up a replay shot and he had a foot and his right elbow down in the
endzone before going out out bounds, That sucked that the ref's missed both.

Yet, the Bills themselves managed to blow the game. Two HUGE fumbles (Spiller and Nelson), a couple bad Ints from Fitz, numersous boown plays on Defense, and Whitner's dropped Int, etc (as above).

Tough breaks, but the game was Buffalo's to take, and they gave it away instead.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-25-2010, 04:33 AM

This is it for me, what a turning point in the game. The next big play this waste makes will be his first.

chernobylwraiths
10-25-2010, 06:01 AM
No, the Bills did not lose this game because of bad officiating. They were however still in it DESPITE bad officiating.

TacklingDummy
10-25-2010, 06:24 AM

You mean like that bullcrap turnover in overtime?

Johnny Bugmenot
10-25-2010, 06:29 AM
The first one Byrd went for the INT. Hey dumbass - go for the hit. Yeah, because with 0 INTs this year, that strategy's worked SO well for the secondary thus far...

Buddo
10-25-2010, 07:13 AM
Bad officiating made an already tough job, an awful lot harder.
I wonder if the NFL shouldn't actually bring something in, that when a ruling is challenged, the Zebras look at the whole of the play again. Not calling Offensive pass interference, on Boldin, was borderline criminal, but as there was no call made, when the rest of the play got reviewed, nothing could be done.

Ultimately the D and turnovers were what caused the loss, but I don't think it's unrealistic to expect better officiating, particularly when some of the calls came at crucial times within the game.

Historian
10-25-2010, 08:23 AM
I agree with your premise Dr, but fact is, the referees decided the outcome of this game by:

1. Not blowing the whistle on forward progress.
2. Tacking 15 yards onto their own mistake.

As for the int that was taken away, I guess they know their own rule book better than I, but I find it ironic that these obscure little rulings seem to always rear their ugly head against the Bills.

I'm the foirst to criticize this team, and yes, the D was terrible, but they were hosed yesterday....and by one of the better officiating crews to boot.

justasportsfan
10-25-2010, 09:34 AM
the refs took the game away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

<----------------

justasportsfan
10-25-2010, 09:38 AM
I agree with your premise Dr, but fact is, the referees decided the outcome of this game by:

As for the int that was taken away, I guess they know their own rule book better than I, but I find it ironic that these obscure little rulings seem to always rear their ugly head against the Bills.

I'm the foirst to criticize this team, and yes, the D was terrible, but they were hosed yesterday....and by one of the better officiating crews to boot.

It's the bills. No ones gonna care. But if it were the Pats , guess who'd get the call?

Right now, Big Ben coming back is a bigger story than the Fins season, guess who got the call go their way? Ben winning his first game back would make a bigger story than the fins winning it.

HAMMER
10-25-2010, 11:22 AM
We got jobbed.

DraftBoy
10-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Referees can never cost you a game, you always could of done something different at some point in the game to take the ref out of the equation.

RockStar36
10-25-2010, 11:26 AM

That was blatant. Refs had to call that. Hangartner needs to keep his cool.

Historian
10-25-2010, 12:43 PM
A good referee understands the situation, and applies the proper judgement, so as not to affect the outcome of the game.

A good referee gives him one warning in OT.

Yesterday's call was tantamount to calling a penalty shot in the OT of a hockey game.

Dr. Lecter
10-25-2010, 12:45 PM
A good referee understands the situation, and applies the proper judgement, so as not to affect the outcome of the game.

A good referee gives him one warning in OT.

Yesterday's call was tantamount to calling a penalty shot in the OT of a hockey game.
The rules do not change in OT.

Hangartner screwed up.

Historian
10-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Nobody said the rules change.

An official in any sport needs to apply good judgement.

In this case a non-call would have been in order. Let them play for it.

I rank this one right up there with "Just give it to 'em!" in New England, circa 1998-99.

SABURZFAN
10-25-2010, 03:31 PM

i agree, Doc. the Bills put theirselves in that position to lose the game. they have nobody to blame but theirselves.