Chan Gailey can gameplan,but our D lacks talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

Chan Gailey can gameplan,but our D lacks talent.

One thing I've noticed this season as opposed to in the past is that our coach has actually game planned pretty well for the most part. Our offense, when the players are executing, can move the ball.

Several times today we needed a play to get us so many yards, and Chan's call was the right one. I was pretty impressed. Very few times was I scratching my head at the offense's play calling.

As for defense, I think they were put in a good position today to win the game. There were many plays in which if our defensive players got off their blocks just a second faster, they would have gotten a sack or a big tackle.

Even in the secondary, the players were there for the most part, but couldn't perform when called upon. Donte drops and INT. Corner drops an INT. McKelvin slips, then gets burned. It was almost like, we were there. But, our players just fell short.

It could be just a complete lack of talent. Poz was flying around today and making plays. So was Stroud and so was Dwan Edwards. Even Donte Whitner made a few OK plays (he also had a few busts).

But aside from that, we lack any sort of pass rush and Kelsay is weak in coverage. LB may be a position we look at in the first three rounds and it should be. Maybin was inactive. When a first round pick is inactive at a position of need, when he is healthy, you know you are in trouble.

Bottom line, and I know I am ranting now... I believe that Chan Gailey is putting his players in a position to win and at one point, we are going to need these players to step it up or get replaced. Everyone needs to be held accountable.
    I am The Batman.
  • hydro
    • Oct 2005

Re: Chan Gailey can gameplan,but our D lacks talent.

Imagine this offense with a Jauron defense. We might actually be a playoff contender.
    BERNIAC!

Comment

• ChristopherWalken
      • Dec 2002

I have had no complaints with Gailey this year. I like his play calling and think he's turned this offense around 180 degrees. Are they Super Bowl caliber? No - but they're better and he had to make some pretty gutsy calls to get them to where they are today.

It's unfortunate though. I think this defense was better as a Cover 2. I wanted very badly for the Cover 2 to vanish - go away - dissipate - etc...but the LBs on this squad are not 3-4 material. I see that now. A better D would have had this team winning more games.
      Last edited by ChristopherWalken; 10-24-2010, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Nighthawk
        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
        • Jul 2002

The problem is both talent and the fact that our DC has no freakin' clue what the hell he is doing.

Comment

• BillsWin
          man amongst boys
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Nighthawk
          The problem is both talent and the fact that our DC has no freakin' clue what the hell he is doing.
          I think Chan will fire him, but not until after this next season. I think we all realize that the players on this team do NOT fit the 3-4 and I think Chan will give Edwards another season, while having our front office focus on getting players that actually fit.
          I am The Batman.

Comment

• billsfanryan
            • Jan 2010

I actually liked the play calling today as well. I was very critical of gailey after the first several games because of how bad the play calling was. He wasn't making 2nd half adjustments at all. Now it appears he has gotten reacquainted with the NFL and is looking like a real head coach.

I am not entirely sure i would blame Edwards for the defense. As the OP said, the players on defense were always in place they just couldn't make the play. If they could get off their blocks a split second earlier, if they were a bit faster, stronger, disciplined...

In my opinion the defense is pretty well coached. The players even say that they know what to expect and are put in a position to succeed, they just don't execute. To me the defense just lacks the talent to make the plays they need to.

I would love to get McGee back, Florence is just plain bad. I don't know what he does well, because I rarely see him do something productive.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
              Legendary Zoner
              • May 2009

Originally posted by hydrosmak
              Imagine this offense with a Jauron defense. We might actually be a playoff contender.
              i said this last year. instead of firing him and paying him to not be here. i thought it would have been a good idea to at least try seeing if he would be the defensive coordinator as they were looking for a head coach. he may not have accepted it but he is a very good defensive mind.

Comment

• hydro
                • Oct 2005

Or if we could have just kept Fewell. He was ran out of town but as usual we overreact and just want everyone out. That defense was bend but don't break but at least it kept us in games.
                BERNIAC!

Comment

• BillsWin
                  man amongst boys
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by hydrosmak
                  Or if we could have just kept Fewell. He was ran out of town but as usual we overreact and just want everyone out. That defense was bend but don't break but at least it kept us in games.
                  That defense was bend and then break.

Although, I put a lot of that blame on them being tired from being on the field a lot. With a bigger front seven, and the offense we have now, those 7-9 seasons could have been 8,9 or 10 win seasons.

But, that is questionable. Dick Jauron was still a horrible coach and our QB situation was not very good.
                  I am The Batman.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Jauron and Fewell are water under the bridge.

Talent be damned, get a guy in here who's had experience and at least some success with a 34 if that's the direction we're going in.

I think today is the first honest-to-god run blitz I've seen from this defense, and six games into the season is far too late.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

There's a clear problem with the defensive gameplan as well as the talent on the field.

The problem is so much more then gameplan than the talent seeing this team gave up 326 points last year...we're on pace to do that in 4 more weeks.

And the talent this year vs last year is virtually negligible.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                        • Sep 2003

Gailey actually coached circles around Harbaugh. When was the last time we saw a Bills coach do that?

PTR
                        10 Commandments of the D
                        1. Never stop Rocking.
                        2. Legalize all drugs.
                        3. Quit your day job.
                        4. All Religion should be taxed.
                        5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                        6. F**k her gently.
                        7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                        8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                        9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                        10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• elltrain22
                          • Sep 2003

The defense has talent, but its mainly in our secondary. The problem is, our front 7 is so pathetic, that a good secondary is pretty much useless. I think that this team has to be aggressive this offseason, and sign either a pass rusher or a legit NT, and we must get a legit OLB (preferably one that can actually cover a TE).
                          If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• baalworship
                            • May 2003

If Luck doesn't come out I wouldn't mind taking a pass rushing linebacker in 2 out of the first 3 rounds.

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

The good news is that the team is reasonably young on offense. If the o-line really is finally coming together, they should be pretty stable for the next half dozen years or so barring injury and contract squabbles. The only offensive skill player who is on the mature side is Fred Jackson, and he's got pretty low miles on him. Everybody else is really in the prime of their careers or are young kids. I was really impressed with Steve Johnson today. That was a big time break out game. Teams are going to have to start respecting him. That may open things up for Evans on the other side. Opponents might actually start fearing our passing game! That would be something, wouldn't it!

Now we just have to build a defense. At this point I think it is the players, and the lack of playmakers in the front seven. Troup may develop into a productive guy and some of the youngsters have some upside, but we need more. Edwards gets a pass this season as coordinator in my book. Let's see what happens as the team upgrades its talent. The thing we need to remember is that Chan Gailey actually does have some experience coaching defense, even though his specialty is offense, so presumably he can recognize whether or not his coordinator knows what he's doing.
                              Last edited by TigerJ; 10-25-2010, 03:46 PM.
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X