PDA

View Full Version : Bills First Round Draft Picks

OpIv37
10-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Spiller- 7 rushes for 33 yards, 25 yard ave on returns, one fumble
Maybin- Healthy scratch
McKelvin- 2 tackles, beaten bad on the flea flicker (and I seem to recall him getting beat a couple other times too)
Lynch- Traded
Whitner- 7 solo tackles, Beaten for at least 2 TD's, abused by the TE's, dropped a pick-6
McCargo- Did not play.
Parrish- (technically not a first rounder but our highest pick that year) 8 catches for 49 yards, fumble
Evans- 6 catches for 105 yards and 3 TD's

We have to go all the way back to 2004 to find a first rounder who contributed yesterday.

Yes, I know, this isn't exactly groundbreaking, but yesterday was a perfect microcosm for why this team can't win. Terrible drafting in the early rounds.

TacklingDummy
10-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Could be the reason why it's been 10+ years.

Don't forget Losman, McGahee, Williams, Clements, and Flowers were 1st rounders.

dannyek71
10-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Nate wasn't a bust. He was good.

He got WAY more than he was worth in SF

Jan Reimers
10-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Not to quibble, but Parrish had a nice day with his 8 receptions, and his receiving yardage was significantly reduced by his fumble getting kicked backward about 20 yards. And I still have hope for Spiller and McKelvin.

But there is no doubt that our drafts have been disastrous in the past several years. Maybin was deactivated in favor of Moats - a 6th round pick - and UDFA Coleman. Maybin looks like an Erik Flowers level bust. And McCargo is useless.

jamze132
10-25-2010, 09:19 AM
On the other hand, 7th RD picks have been playing pretty well...

Jan Reimers
10-25-2010, 09:57 AM
On the other hand, 7th RD picks have been playing pretty well...
That's the strange thing. We seem to do much better with low round picks and UDFAs, than we do in the higher rounds. Bell and S. Johnson, Howard and D. Nelson. Freddie J., Wilson, etc., etc.

YardRat
10-25-2010, 10:01 AM
I would say Eric Wood contributed significantly yesterday.

Jan Reimers
10-25-2010, 10:03 AM
He seems to be coming back nicely from his injury.

ZAZusmc03
10-25-2010, 10:07 AM
That's the strange thing. We seem to do much better with low round picks and UDFAs, than we do in the higher rounds. Bell and S. Johnson, Howard and D. Nelson. Freddie J., Wilson, etc., etc.
This is what confuses me about our team. Our scouts hit on late round or udfa but consistently miss on early picks. I think that is more of an indicator that someone is making their own uninformed choices at the top of the draft and listening to the scouts later. I never wanted to be a part of the group that blamed Ralph for everything, but what other explanation is there?

hydro
10-25-2010, 10:11 AM
This is groundbreaking stuff here!

we are
10-25-2010, 10:14 AM
i dont care what anyone says, mckelvin has had a nice season...everyone still hates him from that fumble.

yeah he got beat on a flea flicker, so did everyone else. it was a perfect play call. he also got beat another time near the end of the game by mason....other than that he was really good. they were picking on florence all game.

RoscoeMagic
10-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Not to quibble, but Parrish had a nice day with his 8 receptions, and his receiving yardage was significantly reduced by his fumble getting kicked backward about 20 yards. And I still have hope for Spiller and McKelvin.

But there is no doubt that our drafts have been disastrous in the past several years. Maybin was deactivated in favor of Moats - a 6th round pick - and UDFA Coleman. Maybin looks like an Erik Flowers level bust. And McCargo is useless.
I think it's more that our later round and UDFA guys HAVE to step in because the first rounders and second rounders have busted. Just think if Hardy turned into something we'd never see Steve Johnson on the field. Proves late rounders can play if given the opportunity.

YardRat
10-25-2010, 10:18 AM
i dont care what anyone says, mckelvin has had a nice season...everyone still hates him from that fumble.

yeah he got beat on a flea flicker, so did everyone else. it was a perfect play call. he also got beat another time near the end of the game by mason....other than that he was really good. they were picking on florence all game.

McKelvin's been warm and cool...all of the corners have.

we are
10-25-2010, 10:20 AM
McKelvin's been warm and cool...all of the corners have.

i was a huge florence fan last year, but this year i dont think ive seen him do anything well.

k-oneputt
10-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Does this organization have a problem using their premium first day picks on the best college conference. SEC ?

Just wondering.

They use their late rd/free agents from there but why not the top of the draft.

OpIv37
10-25-2010, 01:57 PM

d'oh- I new I forgot one. I didn't watch him too closely yesterday so it's hard for me to say, but if he had screwed up I most likely would have noticed.

Oaf
10-25-2010, 02:24 PM
I do actually remember one play where Wood fully missed the DE crashing in on the run play and getting to Jackson before he really even got started.

The two thoughts were, "Wow, that was a big miss by Wood." and "so THAT'S what a defensive end looks like.."

Based on the way Balt was running on us, I give a little grace to the pass coverage. Baltimore had no business throwing the ball, a la that Giants-Bills game in Buffalo a few years back.