PDA

View Full Version : I'll probably get crucified for this but....

kelly2reed4six
10-25-2010, 10:26 AM
could Fitz be heading toward a Matt Schaub type career? Once Schaub finally got a fair shake at the job he proved that he was very good.

Now, before all of the a-hole posters destroy me for this, I'm NOT saying he is ever going to be great; I'm just asking what other peoples opinions are. If you're gonna respond please make sure you pull the stick out of your a$$ first.

Regardless of how Fitz finishes the season, I still want to see us go QB with our pick. If Fitz keeps playing well though, that could be ideal for our situation. I'm not a big fan of seeing rookies come in and start immediately if they don't have to.

justasportsfan
10-25-2010, 10:31 AM
He has to consistently play like that to make be believe that is what we need, a franchise qb.

He is however looking like every qb that Gailey's coached , a qb that gradually got better.

hydro
10-25-2010, 10:33 AM
He was much more accurate yesterday. If he keeps that up it is a possibility. He had been so erratic the previous games I watched him I just couldn't see him ever being a consistent starter. He still acts as if he is putting everything he has into passes to just get them there but as long as he is accurate that is all that matters. His decision making is right on the spot.

EricStratton
10-25-2010, 10:33 AM
He certainly could be what you describe and could either lead this team or as Atlanta did become a good pick in a trade and we could draft a QB

Extremebillsfan247
10-25-2010, 10:34 AM
could Fitz be heading toward a Matt Schaub type career? Once Schaub finally got a fair shake at the job he proved that he was very good.

Now, before all of the a-hole posters destroy me for this, I'm NOT saying he is ever going to be great; I'm just asking what other peoples opinions are. If you're gonna respond please make sure you pull the stick out of your a$$ first.

Regardless of how Fitz finishes the season, I still want to see us go QB with our pick. If Fitz keeps playing well though, that could be ideal for our situation. I'm not a big fan of seeing rookies come in and start immediately if they don't have to. Well Fitz has been like this through out his relatively young career. He has great games in spurts then sputters. We should be 3-3 right now. If Fitz played against Miami with the way he is playing right now, we win that game. We should have beaten New England but we didn't, and we should have won this game. But I'm trying to pinpoint what your getting at here. Do I think he is the future of this team? no, is he a phenomenal QB to have as a backup? definitely. Yesterday doesn't change much about Fitz's prospects for being anything better than a backup in my opinion. He just isn't consistent enough.

Ingtar33
10-25-2010, 10:39 AM
if fitz finishes the season with 4000 yards and 25 tds with a QBR of 90+ i'll be on board with keeping him, and drafting something else in the 1st round.

Mahdi
10-25-2010, 10:39 AM

Regardless of how Fitz finishes the season, I still want to see us go QB with our pick. If Fitz keeps playing well though, that could be ideal for our situation. I'm not a big fan of seeing rookies come in and start immediately if they don't have to.
Anyone can be anything when given a chance. Brady proves that everyday and Colston and Stevie and Peters and Freddie etc.

The passes Fitz threw yesterday were not to wide open targets. He had great anticipation as well as accuracy and the velocity required to make some amazing throws. Throws the big time Qbs make daily.

kelly2reed4six
10-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Well Fitz has been like this through out his relatively young career. He has great games in spurts then sputters. We should be 3-3 right now. If Fitz played against Miami with the way he is playing right now, we win that game. We should have beaten New England but we didn't, and we should have won this game. But I'm trying to pinpoint what your getting at here. Do I think he is the future of this team? no, is he a phenomenal QB to have as a backup? definitely. Yesterday doesn't change much about Fitz's prospects for being anything better than a backup in my opinion. He just isn't consistent enough.

Agreed. Even if this guy ends up throwing 30 tds and 3500 yds this year I just can't put my faith in that after watching guys like Derek Anderson fail.

I def. think he would be worth keeping around as the starter next year though so that the young guy we draft can develop instead of being thrown right into the fire.

Extremebillsfan247
10-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Agreed. Even if this guy ends up throwing 30 tds and 3500 yds this year I just can't put my faith in that after watching guys like Derek Anderson fail.

I def. think he would be worth keeping around as the starter next year though so that the young guy we draft can develop instead of being thrown right into the fire.Right, I'm all in favor of him keeping the seat warm while the new QB if we draft one gets acclimated. I have no problems with that, and if Fitz continues on this pace, I would have to say that he has earned it. JMO

hydro
if fitz finishes the season with 4000 yards and 25 tds with a QBR of 90+ i'll be on board with keeping him, and drafting something else in the 1st round.

In this case I would almost rather Luck stay in school so we can get him in 2012.

Mahdi
yep.

Extremebillsfan247
10-25-2010, 10:50 AM
if fitz finishes the season with 4000 yards and 25 tds with a QBR of 90+ i'll be on board with keeping him, and drafting something else in the 1st round. Well sitting at 102 QBR, 2nd in the league behind Peyton Manning, I would have to say it's pretty impressive considering the teams we have played this year. JMO

trapezeus
10-25-2010, 10:51 AM

exactly.

here is what i think happens.

i think fitz will struggle with TOs, especially come winter. He is not a strong armed QB.He won't make all the throws and i think he will level off. We have to see how the next couple weeks go, because a 300+ yard day will have DC game plan you (Fitz) specifically. We have to see how he responds to that.

However, if the line continues to give him time to throw, he's going to make some teams pay. If he has to run around, i think he'll have his good weeks and bad weeks.

I think he's got the brains, and it's so ideal if we can have him play next year with a physically gifted QB learning what he knows.

Look at losman. he had the tools but had bledsoe who wasn't exactly the great mind of seeing blitzers and buying time. Losman didn't learn from bledsoe and he didn't get the coaches to help either. Edwards only had losman to grow from initially and a terrible jauron offense.

Now we have the veteran smart guy who is seemingly durable enough to take the licks that he took the first couple weeks. I'm all for keeping him through the next couple years provided he doesn't edwards out on us and loses his credibility due to a shot to the head.

Ed
10-25-2010, 10:53 AM
If Fitz keeps up this pace, how could you not make him the starter next year? Everyone has been saying that our OL and WR's aren't good enough, but he's making them look pretty good. So if he's being productive with inferior talent, then he deserves even more credit for his play. I never would have predicted I'd be so high on him right now considering I was ok with him being cut during the off-season, but he's a total gamer.

As of right now he's clearly our MVP. If he has a strong season and we draft a guy like Locker or Mallet and they get handed the keys next year, I think Gailey would lose this team.

I'm not saying don't draft a qb next year, but if Fitz keeps playing well, I think you have to go defense in the first round. I mean this is the worst Bills D I have ever seen.

Ed
10-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Oh one more thing. I believe one of the commentators yesterday said that Fitz had the highest yards per carry average of any qb right now.

TacklingDummy
10-25-2010, 11:17 AM
When's the last time the Bills had a QB throw for 11 TD's in 4 games?

EricStratton
10-25-2010, 11:18 AM

Or turning him into multiple picks from another team that thinks they are closer then us.

DraftBoy
10-25-2010, 11:20 AM
I dont think anybody can be unhappy right now with the way Fitz is playing. He's earning the starting QB spot.

justasportsfan
10-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Fitz calls his buddy Trent

Fitz:" Yo , 374 yds 4 td's 2 ints in one game vs your total 2010 stats of 382 yds 1 TD 4 int's . I mean really ?"

PromoTheRobot
10-25-2010, 11:35 AM

+1 Too early to crown Fitz the man, but if yesterday was not a fluke and he can keep it up, then there's no reason why we can't consider him the franchise QB.

My biggest concern with Fitz is consistency of accuracy. He runs hot and cold. 3rd Q is still his voodoo. He has to play a more complete game before I'm convinced.

PTR

Dr. Taylor Zaius
10-25-2010, 11:36 AM

No freaking way:tongue:

better days
10-25-2010, 11:42 AM
If Fitz keeps up this pace, how could you not make him the starter next year? Everyone has been saying that our OL and WR's aren't good enough, but he's making them look pretty good. So if he's being productive with inferior talent, then he deserves even more credit for his play. I never would have predicted I'd be so high on him right now considering I was ok with him being cut during the off-season, but he's a total gamer.

As of right now he's clearly our MVP. If he has a strong season and we draft a guy like Locker or Mallet and they get handed the keys next year, I think Gailey would lose this team.

I'm not saying don't draft a qb next year, but if Fitz keeps playing well, I think you have to go defense in the first round. I mean this is the worst Bills D I have ever seen.

Yeah well maybe "everyone" was wrong about the O-line & especially the WR's. Today "everyone" not wanting to draft a QB is talking draft defense.

I think the only reason not to draft a QB is if Fitz plays this well the rest of the year, AND Chan knows he can develop Brohm to the full potential he showed in College.

Bangarang
10-25-2010, 11:47 AM
When's the last time the Bills had a QB throw for 11 TD's in 4 games?

Matt Barkley

MikeInRoch
10-25-2010, 12:06 PM

Well, right now he's on pace for over 38 TDs and just under 3,400 yards, with a rating of 102.0. Is that close enough?

Mad Max
10-25-2010, 01:12 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KX5jNnDMfxA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KX5jNnDMfxA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Fitzy is no worse than a lot of guys that have won Super Bowls such as Jeff Hostetler, Doug Williams, Brad Johnson,Trent Dilfer, etc.

The problem is fans of non-winning programs are always looking for a "Savior", a "White Knight". Owners feel the heat and invariably present a fresh candidate via draft or FA in the hopes of finding him, thus forsaking the incumbent who's been doing as well as possible manning the position amidst a horrible team.

This guy's potential then appeases the fans and fills seats until he either proves himself to be the "Savior", or the cycle starts all over again.

The potential to draft the next Manning will always trump a lunch pail 10-11 win guy. It always has, it always will.

Now let's go get Luck!

tampabay25690
10-25-2010, 01:32 PM

Hey Im with you here...
Was listening to the radio all day and the big problem this team has is the Defense. It's obvious that Stroud is not getting younger and it shows, we need 2 LB'S but I luv that Moats played yesterday and looks like a great prospect so far.
Boy do we miss Aaron Schobel.....
We need some guys to stop the run and rush the passer bad......
I feel bad for our secondary they have to cover WAY to long...

mercyrule
10-25-2010, 01:37 PM
if fitz finishes the season with 4000 yards and 25 tds with a QBR of 90+ i'll be on board with keeping him, and drafting something else in the 1st round.Something else like what? You mean not a QB?

T-Long
10-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Like I said in earlier posts, this is a great problem for the Bills going into next season. I still think we need to draft a QB high, then let him and Fitz battle it out. Worst case would be Fitz starting the season, and see how he does. If he struggles, in comes (enter your fav. QB prospect here).

mercyrule
10-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Oh one more thing. I believe one of the commentators yesterday said that Fitz had the highest yards per carry average of any qb right now.Yeah, but that's just scary. So far there's no defense giving him respect for it. It just means his WR's are covered.

tampabay25690
10-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Like I said in earlier posts, this is a great problem for the Bills going into next season. I still think we need to draft a QB high, then let him and Fitz battle it out. Worst case would be Fitz starting the season, and see how he does. If he struggles, in comes (enter your fav. QB prospect here).

Im with you on this as well................BUT who is going to tackle the other teams offense thats a huge problem we have..........Unless we actually do a thing called Free Agency and we sign some guys to come play with the BILLS........

T-Long
10-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Im with you on this as well................BUT who is going to tackle the other teams offense thats a huge problem we have..........Unless we actually do a thing called Free Agency and we sign some guys to come play with the BILLS........
That's gonna be the tough decision, but if you have the opportunity to get the best QB in the draft (and based on experts, this class is great) then you have to go in that direction, no matter your defensive struggles. A QB has got to be the #1 priority for this team, even with Fitz's recent success.

McBFLO
10-25-2010, 02:20 PM
That's gonna be the tough decision, but if you have the opportunity to get the best QB in the draft (and based on experts, this class is great) then you have to go in that direction, no matter your defensive struggles. A QB has got to be the #1 priority for this team, even with Fitz's recent success.
I couldn't agree more. Like the experts (I think it's Mayock, specifically) say, "If you have the opportunity to draft a franchise QB when you need one, you simply cannot pass that up."

YardRat
10-25-2010, 02:26 PM
I really don't think it matters how well Fitz plays this season...if QB is the highest rated player on the Bills' board when it's their pick, they'll take one.

TigerJ
10-25-2010, 03:39 PM
My fear with Fitz was and still is that he has a propensity to make a few wild passes every game. He did so in the Ravens game too. One of the interceptions was nowhere near on target. That said, given the number of passes he made, the percentage of errant passes was as low as I've seen from him. I have believed that with Fitz what you see is what you get, and he was always going to a few horrible passes every game, but if he can keep the percentage as low as it was Sunday, it might be a liability the Bills can live with. I can accept him as starter if he can continue to play the way he did Sunday and keep the wild passes under 10% of his attempts

big hock
10-25-2010, 11:54 PM
In the long haul, i don't think Fitz will ever amount to more than our go-to guy. He's proven that he can get the job done, but his consistency issues are always in question......errant passes, picks and whatever the hell you want to call the bounced pass 3 weeks ago.

He's really impressed me so far this year for the most part.
I hope he can keep it together.

Mr. Pink
10-26-2010, 12:20 AM
Except the premise for this thread is wrong.

It's not like this is the first time Fitz has had a chance...this is now his third.

First - Carson Palmer injury
Second - Last year
Third - now.

Buffalogic
10-26-2010, 01:11 AM

It's not like this is the first time Fitz has had a chance...this is now his third.

Second - Last year
Third - now.Brees needed a few chances too.

Mr. Pink
10-26-2010, 01:15 AM
Brees needed a few chances too.

Brees started as a rookie and looked poor in his first two seasons, as many young players do, then turned the corner the year the Chargers acquired Rivers.

jcdavey
10-26-2010, 01:27 AM
Brees started as a rookie and looked poor in his first two seasons, as many young players do, then turned the corner the year the Chargers acquired Rivers.
also brees pre shoulder inury didn't even have the long ball accuracy he has post injury

he got a rebuilt labrum and all of the sudden he was going deep all the time

Buffalogic
10-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Brees started as a rookie and looked poor in his first two seasons, as many young players do, then turned the corner the year the Chargers acquired Rivers.I'd say two full seasons is more of a shot than Fitzy ever got. He played well last year so you can't say he failed at his opportunity there.

kelly2reed4six
10-26-2010, 08:01 AM

Second - Last year
Third - now.

How so? I'm comparing him to a QB (Schaub) who took 6 years to prove that he was an all-pro. Fitz is in what year now? Oh yeah, his 6th.

Fitzpatrick has NEVER walked into a season as the starter. He has NEVER gotten first teams reps all throughout training camp and preseason; so his first 3-4 games basically are his preseason.

Like I said, I am NOT saying this guy is the answer whatsoever. I actually feel myself as though he def. isn't. I do hope, however, that he continues this success so that we don't have to throw a rookie QB straight into the fire next season.

madness
10-26-2010, 09:48 AM
I think the Gailey factor null and voids Fitz's history. I rode Tyler Thigpen to a FFL championship two years ago and I wouldn't be surprised if I could do the same with Fitz. Only this time I have A. Rodgers and slash position for a 2nd QB. :up:

Extremebillsfan247
10-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Who want's some Fitzcool aid? Watch, it fitzes... lol

madness
10-26-2010, 01:42 PM
• The Bills might be the only winless team left in the NFL but they're not lacking for excitement. Give Chan Gailey and the coaching staff credit; they've crafted an offense around Ryan Fitzpatrick's (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7426/)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7426/news) strengths and for the most part the Bills have thrown the ball very well since the QB change was made. Welcome back, Lee Evans (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6772/)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6772/news). Nice to meet you, Steve Johnson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9001/)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9001/news),

Fitzpatrick's success underscores how critical intelligence is to the quarterback position; so much of the job is processing information and making quick and sharp decisions. Fitzpatrick's physical skills hardly qualify him to be a starter in the NFL, but you're better off with a genius that's physically limited than a combine wonder who can't handle the mental demands of the position. Fitzpatrick went to Harvard as you probably know, and he scored a 48 (out of 50) on the Wonderlic. Score one for brains over brawn.

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_arcade/post/Monday-Brunch-Darren-McFadden-flicks-the-switch?urn=fantasy-279746