PDA

View Full Version : For Draftboy and college football fans

baalworship
10-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Who is the best defensive player in this draft? Adrian Clayborne? Robert Quinn?

I still lean towards Luck if he comes out but if he doesn't I want to know which defensive players will be stars at the next level. It's my understanding that Clayborne would be a DE in our scheme and Quinn is a DE who would play OLB in the 3-4.

DesertFox24
10-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Quinn scares me but he does have freakish ability and could be a bigger faster Merriman.

hydro
10-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Greg Jones even? As a ILB?

baalworship
10-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Yeah I heard Quinn ran a 4.38 40!

baalworship
10-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Greg Jones even? As a ILB?

Unless he's the next Ray Lewis we should be looking for pass rushing linebackers, Nose Tackles, and 3-4 defensive ends.

Pinkerton Security
10-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Unless he's the next Ray Lewis we should be looking for pass rushing linebackers, Nose Tackles, and 3-4 defensive ends.

I do not want to draft a 3-4 end with our first pick. They are not playmakers and are more easily found because their main task is to hold the edge and occupy blockers. I'd be more fond of a pass rushing LB like you said, and Id take a DT but are there any studs at that position? And if there is more an ILB who also happens to be a complete stud a la Patrick Willis, I'd go there as well.

baalworship
10-25-2010, 12:50 PM
I do not want to draft a 3-4 end with our first pick. They are not playmakers and are more easily found because their main task is to hold the edge and occupy blockers. I'd be more fond of a pass rushing LB like you said, and Id take a DT but are there any studs at that position? And if there is more an ILB who also happens to be a complete stud a la Patrick Willis, I'd go there as well.

Some 3-4 defensive ends are playmakers. Bruce Smith and Richard Seymour (the younger version) were amazing difference makers.

T-Long
10-25-2010, 12:51 PM
I saw Clayborn play and that guy is a beast. Never saw Quinn play, but I'm sure he's just as good or better. I still say they need to go QB with the pick, no matter what talent is there on defense. Now, if we find a way to win a few games, that could change.

BidsJr
10-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Who is the best defensive player in this draft? Adrian Clayborne? Robert Quinn?

I still lean towards Luck if he comes out but if he doesn't I want to know which defensive players will be stars at the next level. It's my understanding that Clayborne would be a DE in our scheme and Quinn is a DE who would play OLB in the 3-4.

To be honest as a Hawkeye fan, I might rather take Christian Ballard in the 2nd round before I would spend a top 5 pick on Clayborn. I love Clayborn, but with a top 1-5 pick I want someone who can be a franchise difference maker and while I think Adrian will be a solid player........ I am not sure he will be a game changer in the NFL.

DraftBoy
10-25-2010, 01:09 PM
It's Clayborn and it's not that close. Peterson, Jones, Quinn, Dareus, and Bowers are all behind him.

Mahdi
10-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Marcell Dareus could end up being next year's Gerald McCoy/Suh. Top notch DL prospect with scheme versatility.

Dareus can be a 4-3 3-technique or a 3-4 DE. It would not be the flashy choice but it would help this defense.

The next choice would have to be Quinn because this team needs a dominant pass rusher.

Mahdi
10-25-2010, 01:17 PM
It's Clayborn and it's not that close. Peterson, Jones, Quinn, Dareus, and Bowers are all behind him.
Calyborn is a solid all-around football player. He could definitely be the best overall defensive player. 3-4 teams will have to decide who they feel is the better 3-4 DE prospect between him and Dareus though because I don't think he is rush 3-4 OLB material. Not quick enough.

Pinkerton Security
10-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Some 3-4 defensive ends are playmakers. Bruce Smith and Richard Seymour (the younger version) were amazing difference makers.

true but then we have guys like Tyson Jackson who was picked 3rd overall and just isnt an impact player to me. I know we probably need one but with what is probably going to be a top 5 pick, i just personally would rather have a DT or LB.

tampabay25690
10-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Marcell Dareus could end up being next year's Gerald McCoy/Suh. Top notch DL prospect with scheme versatility.

Dareus can be a 4-3 3-technique or a 3-4 DE. It would not be the flashy choice but it would help this defense.

The next choice would have to be Quinn because this team needs a dominant pass rusher.

Have u seen McCoy play yet??? Don't even put Suh in the same breath as McCoy yet. Troup has looked better then McCoy in this young season. They are already talking about putting McCoy at the E spot in a 4-3 because he is being overmatched.....

I do like Dareus though.

Mahdi
10-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Have u seen McCoy play yet??? Don't even put Suh in the same breath as McCoy yet. Troup has looked better then McCoy in this young season. They are already talking about putting McCoy at the E spot in a 4-3 because he is being overmatched.....

I do like Dareus though.
I'm talking about pre-draft. Before the draft McCoy was considered on par with Suh and some even had him ahead of Suh. The guy has played NFL football for 2 months. I think he will get stronger over the offseason and be more effective as a sophomore.

DraftBoy
10-25-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm talking about pre-draft. Before the draft McCoy was considered on par with Suh and some even had him ahead of Suh. The guy has played NFL football for 2 months. I think he will get stronger over the offseason and be more effective as a sophomore.

Many had him clearly behind Suh as well. Let's be fair, not everybody had Suh and McCoy on the same level, some did but not everybody.

DraftBoy
10-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Calyborn is a solid all-around football player. He could definitely be the best overall defensive player. 3-4 teams will have to decide who they feel is the better 3-4 DE prospect between him and Dareus though because I don't think he is rush 3-4 OLB material. Not quick enough.

Clayborn should never, ever, ever be considered for 3-4 OLB. That would be the worst possible idea.

I dont have it even close between Dareus and Clayborn right now. Dareus may be the more athletic one, but Clayborn is the most dominant and complete DE in this class.

Mahdi
10-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Clayborn should never, ever, ever be considered for 3-4 OLB. That would be the worst possible idea.

I dont have it even close between Dareus and Clayborn right now. Dareus may be the more athletic one, but Clayborn is the most dominant and complete DE in this class.
Not sure if you mis-read but I don't think Clayborn is a 3-4 OLB prospect either.

Like I said, I think teams will decide which one is the best 3-4 DE and go from there. If a team wants a OLB before DE they will probably take Quinn.

Mahdi
10-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Many had him clearly behind Suh as well. Let's be fair, not everybody had Suh and McCoy on the same level, some did but not everybody.
Which is what I said, opinion differed as to who was best. But they were both considered elite players either way.

YardRat
10-25-2010, 02:34 PM
I was impressed with what I saw out of Fairley on Saturday.

Mahdi
10-25-2010, 02:40 PM
I was impressed with what I saw out of Fairley on Saturday.
Fairley is a very very good football player. He might launch himself into the top 15 of the draft.

WeAreArthurMoates
10-25-2010, 02:51 PM
If Bowers continues his play he will be the first taken.

RoscoeMagic
10-25-2010, 02:53 PM
I want a guy who can put up monster sack numbers. Don't care if it's a DE or OLB. We need someone to get to the QB and someone who is ready and a beast from day 1, unlike Maybin.

DraftBoy
10-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Which is what I said, opinion differed as to who was best. But they were both considered elite players either way.

Eh, Dareus is more based on potential than production. Clayborn is more proven at this point.

DraftBoy
10-25-2010, 03:22 PM
I want a guy who can put up monster sack numbers. Don't care if it's a DE or OLB. We need someone to get to the QB and someone who is ready and a beast from day 1, unlike Maybin.

Very rare for a 3-4 DE to put big sack numbers, some have but not many.

DraftBoy
10-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Fairley is a very very good football player. He might launch himself into the top 15 of the draft.

I like Fairley alot, saw him at the Miss State game when he burst on the scene. Been a little inconsistent up until the last two weeks. So Im hesitant to raise him too high too quickly. Im looking right now at the 25-45 range. Want to see him continue this level of play for a few more weeks.

Ed
10-25-2010, 03:31 PM
It doesn't seem like this is a very good year to have a top 5 pick.

If Luck doesn't come out and Fitz continues to play well, my first choice would be to try and trade down. Probably not an easy thing to do, but I would at least try.

theanswer74
10-25-2010, 06:51 PM
It doesn't seem like this is a very good year to have a top 5 pick.

If Luck doesn't come out and Fitz continues to play well, my first choice would be to try and trade down. Probably not an easy thing to do, but I would at least try.
Thats because there arent any top seniors in the draft. RObert Quinn IMO is easily the best player in the draft, but because he isnt playing it will be a risk. Quinn is basically a Demarcus Ware clone.