PDA

View Full Version : What do you think happens to Maybin?

Oaf
10-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Saw this topic on a different site, wanted to bring the discussion here. What's your prediction for Maybin in the short-run and long?

My thought:
I believe Bills coaching is pretty much done with Maybin for this season. The coaches are not going to give him any breaks in practice and more likely than not, he stays where he's at, a fringe guy for Sundays.

He gets one more offseason, one more spring, one more summer to show significant improvement or he will miss the 53-man roster come September. Contract numbers are low so that won't be much of a consideration a la Edwards.

Jaybird
10-25-2010, 02:48 PM
I agree.

he won't be cut this season, and baring injury he also won;t see the filed. He will be at training camp next year for his final chance to porve himself

jamze132
10-25-2010, 02:50 PM
If only we hadn't drafted another one-hit wonder...

RoscoeMagic
10-25-2010, 02:51 PM
If the coaches don't think he's improved, he'll get cut in camp next year.

Mad Max
10-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Saw this topic on a different site, wanted to bring the discussion here. What's your prediction for Maybin in the short-run and long?

My thought:
I believe Bills coaching is pretty much done with Maybin for this season. The coaches are not going to give him any breaks in practice and more likely than not, he stays where he's at, a fringe guy for Sundays.

He gets one more offseason, one more spring, one more summer to show significant improvement or he will miss the 53-man roster come September. Contract numbers are low so that won't be much of a consideration a la Edwards.

"He Gone".

So far, say what you will about Gailey, he's evaluated talent VERY well. So when he healthy scratches Maybin, that is a very bad omen for him. He'll likely get one more training camp, but that's it.

Mahdi
10-25-2010, 02:53 PM
I think he will be motivated to improve himself. He is still a young kid and there is definitely room for him to get better.

Overall he needs to get stronger, particularly in his base, that is what is keeping him from being effective right now.

Oaf
10-25-2010, 02:56 PM
So far, say what you will about Gailey, he's evaluated talent VERY well.

WHAT? :laughter:

TacklingDummy
10-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Cut him now, blame the last GM.

Dujek
10-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah, he gets until next August to prove he can be of use.

He won't though, and he'll be cut.

Mad Max
10-25-2010, 03:06 PM
WHAT? :laughter:

Ya I read what I wrote and saw how it could easily be misunderstood, lol.

I meant he has found the guys that can play within our team, guys like Roscoe and Fitz who weren't even after thoughts in the previous. And he's gotten rid of or benched guys that clearly couldn't play.

Kelsay, although none of us know for sure, smells like a Wilson call all the way. That leaves Edwards as the main head scratcher.....although he certainly appeared to all interested parties to be the tallest midget.

Ed
10-25-2010, 03:06 PM
I think Maybin being inactive was more of the coach sending a message that he needs to start making the most of every opportunity and showing some improvement. I expect him to be on the active roster for most of our remaining games. I mean it's not like we have anyone in front of him on the DL or at LB that's playing really well. At 0-6 and with how bad our D is playing, they need to at least give him a little more playing time to fairly evaluate him. So I expect to see him on the field again this year unless he's just totally stinking it up in practice.

As for next year, I think he gets another training camp to show something, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the team. Or maybe they try to trade him for a mid-round pick.

kingJofNYC
10-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Maybin's two weeks of practice must have been straight up garbage for him to get the hook after a bye. I can see him getting one last shot, still pretty young. Can easily be dumped before the start of OTAs as well.

justasportsfan
10-25-2010, 03:14 PM
We should call Jauron over at Philly and see if he wants to make a trade.

Jan Reimers
10-25-2010, 03:18 PM
I don't know how far from being productive he really is. If it's simply a matter of his getting bigger and stronger, I'd say keep him around, and make it clear that he really needs to spend lots of time in the weight room and stay in OP for our offseason conditioning program. Then make a decision next summer.

If it's more than that - if besides being too skinny, he lacks the basic football skills necessary to succeed in the NFL - we should cut our losses and cut his ass RIGHT NOW.

SABURZFAN
10-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Maybin being a healthy scratch in his hometown sends a strong statement. i wonder how many tickets he bought for his family.

trapezeus
10-25-2010, 03:26 PM
i think we'll know after the draft. if the bills stay with 3-4 and we see them go with a bunch of outside linebackers AND they decide to stick with kelsay (i know he was extended, but he didn't really sign a lot of guaranteed money), maybin is out the door. if they go light in the LB during the draft and free agency, then the door is still open...but it does seem to be closing quickly.

RoscoeMagic
10-25-2010, 03:27 PM
i think we'll know after the draft. if the bills stay with 3-4 and we see them go with a bunch of outside linebackers AND they decide to stick with kelsay (i know he was extended, but he didn't really sign a lot of guaranteed money), maybin is out the door. if they go light in the LB during the draft and free agency, then the door is still open...but it does seem to be closing quickly.

Why would they go light at LB in the draft and FA? That's our weakest spot on the team.

DraftBoy
10-25-2010, 03:28 PM
I think he's going to ask to be traded this offseason. Don't know why, no inside sources but call it a hunch.

Mad Max
10-25-2010, 03:49 PM
I think he's going to ask to be traded this offseason. Don't know why, no inside sources but call it a hunch.

That'll be a coup, we'll turn the 7th round pick that we get for him into our starting NT.

Billz_fan
10-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah, traded for what ? some old tackling sleds ? a whirl pool that needs work ? or maybe 500 pounds of free weights (rusty).

He has no value.

justasportsfan
10-25-2010, 08:38 PM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/10/25/where-maybin-stands/

Gailey said that Maybin was less than thrilled last week when told he was going to be inactive for the Ravens game.

“He’s upset. He should be,” said Gailey. ”I would expect him to be. He wasn’t happy when I told him and hopefully it’ll generate the next time he gets an opportunity, better production.”

Gailey denies that he and his staff has lost faith in Maybin.

“I think you’re wrong as a coach if you lose complete faith in a player,” he said. ”I think every player goes through ups and downs and goes through the learning curve in certain defenses in certain situations.

jpdex12
10-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Vernon Golston comes to mind when I hear Maybin's name. Wonder what happened to his mentor Lavar Arrington? Haven't heard his big mouth lately with all the jawing he did when we drafted Maybin. Eat crow Lavar!

This kid sucks! It's disgusting to look at that draft and see all of the talent that was drafted after we took this slouch...Orakpo, Matthews, and a Texans linebacker come to mind...christ!

DraftBoy
10-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Yeah, traded for what ? some old tackling sleds ? a whirl pool that needs work ? or maybe 500 pounds of free weights (rusty).

He has no value.

Somebody would give up a late conditional pick for him. The kid has talent, just has yet to be able to show much of any of it on this team. He could do well under a solid DC like a Dom Capers.

Novacane
10-26-2010, 07:49 AM

Gailey said that Maybin was less than thrilled last week when told he was going to be inactive for the Ravens game.

“He’s upset. He should be,” said Gailey. ”I would expect him to be. He wasn’t happy when I told him and hopefully it’ll generate the next time he gets an opportunity, better production.”

“I think you’re wrong as a coach if you lose complete faith in a player,” he said. ”I think every player goes through ups and downs and goes through the learning curve in certain defenses in certain situations.

He probably ran out of the room crying. This guy is a bust. They should just cut him.

Billz_fan
10-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Somebody would give up a late conditional pick for him. The kid has talent, just has yet to be able to show much of any of it on this team. He could do well under a solid DC like a Dom Capers.

Exactly what my point was. He was the #11 pick of the first round and here we go thinking a late round conditional pick. Jesus, what a friggin mess.

madness
10-26-2010, 07:58 AM

So what does Maybin have to do to be active on Sundays and get back on the field?

“He has to continue to improve his all around play and that includes special teams,” said Gailey. ”And to be honest with you it gets harder and harder because this is game plan (time), it’s not going out and practicing to see who wins spots right now. If somebody doesn’t play well then you give him another chance. If somebody keeps playing well he might not get another chance right now. It just depends on how other people do.”
Gailey couldn't have said it any better. Maybin needs to worry less about being inactive and focus more on working harder this season/off-season if he wants to break into the lineup... next year.

SabreEleven
10-26-2010, 07:59 AM
If only we hadn't drafted another one-hit wonder...

When was his one-hit?

Mahdi
10-26-2010, 08:05 AM
When was his one-hit?
12 sacks in final college season.

Historian
10-26-2010, 10:08 AM
They'll get a seventh for him in the off-season, which could end up being a sixth if he has over 100 solo tackles and 15 sacks with his next team.

trapezeus
10-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Why would they go light at LB in the draft and FA? That's our weakest spot on the team.

why would you draft a one hit wonder in the 11 spot? **** happens.

i also think that maybin is essentially a town house in Florida. It's value has plummeted and either you sell at a loss, or you hold on and hope there is some residual value.

I honestly think if the bills cut him right now, no one would take him. I just can't think of a single team that would be like, "yeah, we need a guy who could play 3-9 snaps a game. We need a FB on the defensive side of the ball."

Maybin needs to become something. Either put the weight on and be a real DE, or learn OLB fast and be effective. Currently he's neither.

Jeff1220
10-26-2010, 10:24 AM
The only thing Maybin has in his favor anymore is his age. He's only 22 (23 in April). So in age/maturity, it's like they're dealing with a rookie.

Mahdi
10-26-2010, 10:31 AM
The only thing Maybin has in his favor anymore is his age. He's only 22 (23 in April). So in age/maturity, it's like they're dealing with a rookie.
And that's the main point. They are dealing with a kid. And they need to be patient with him. Scratching him against the Ravens is exactly what he needed. If he was truly mad then he will use that as motivation and to realize that nothing will be given to him because he was a high pick as a sophomore.

If you think about it, Maybin has never really had to win a job. He made it to Penn State which was good of course but he was a backup DE until the starter got hurt in college. He took over as the starter as a sophomore, had a dream season playing mostly LE against slower RTs.

Then he declares and gets picked very high and gets a ton of cash.

This is a young kid, who is still growing, that has never really battled for a job. He is learning that lesson now.

Give him time.

DraftBoy
10-26-2010, 10:42 AM
And that's the main point. They are dealing with a kid. And they need to be patient with him. Scratching him against the Ravens is exactly what he needed. If he was truly mad then he will use that as motivation and to realize that nothing will be given to him because he was a high pick as a sophomore.

If you think about it, Maybin has never really had to win a job. He made it to Penn State which was good of course but he was a backup DE until the starter got hurt in college. He took over as the starter as a sophomore, had a dream season playing mostly LE against slower RTs.

Then he declares and gets picked very high and gets a ton of cash.

This is a young kid, who is still growing, that has never really battled for a job. He is learning that lesson now.

Give him time.

The lesson can go two ways though, he can get motivated, work harder and get better or he can pout and ***** about it and ask for a trade.

Mahdi
10-26-2010, 11:09 AM
The lesson can go two ways though, he can get motivated, work harder and get better or he can pout and ***** about it and ask for a trade.
If I'm him, I stay with the team that has the weakest set of OLBs in the league. That would be my best chance at a starting job if I get my act together.

ChristopherWalken
10-26-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm very interested to see how Matbin responds. He has a lot of proving to do. Float or sink?

This is a complete slap in his face and if he can't rebound from it, then he deserves to be axed. There won't be a team in the league that will want to trade for an underachieving OLB that can't shed a block or make a decent play read. His current value is very much below a 7th round pick.

trapezeus
10-26-2010, 11:37 AM
i'm not saying he's bruce smith in the making, but didn't bruce smith have a lot of weight to lose and a lot of football to dedicate himself to before he became the stud?

It's all in maybin's hands to make the best of the situation.

Historian
10-26-2010, 11:57 AM
I believe Bruce still had 15 sacks as a rookie...on a 2-14 team....at 305 pounds.

Bad comparison, lol.

Dr. Lecter
10-26-2010, 12:00 PM
I believe Bruce still had 15 sacks as a rookie...on a 2-14 team....at 305 pounds.

Bad comparison, lol.

6.5 sacks. The 15 were in year 2.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitBr00.htm

Extremebillsfan247
10-26-2010, 12:07 PM

My thought:

In the short run, he is going to spend a lot of time this year on the bench. What he does afterwords will determine his future moving forward. He will either choose to work in order to get better as a player, or he will retract and be waived at some point either next year or in 2012. JMO

cookie G
10-26-2010, 12:31 PM
“He has to continue to improve his all around play and that includes special teams,” said Gailey.

Heed thy own advice, Mr. Gailey. Your defense is quickly becoming one of the worst in NFL history.

But as to Maybin, I'll expect him to bounce around the league for the next 3-4 years with probably 2 other teams, hook on to some minor coaching position at a junior college after retiring, and be essentially broke at 30.

I'd still like to see him rush from a 2 point stance, just once, to see what it's like.

TacklingDummy
10-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Is he so bad that he can't even play special teams? If so than cut him.

Mad Max
10-27-2010, 12:25 AM
i'm not saying he's bruce smith in the making, but didn't bruce smith have a lot of weight to lose and a lot of football to dedicate himself to before he became the stud?

It's all in maybin's hands to make the best of the situation.
I think the true problem with this guy is in his body. He just doesn't have the right frame for the position.

Losing 25 pounds of fat like Bruce did is relatively easy. Gaining and keeping 25+ pounds of muscle is immensely difficult. It's not a simple matter of working out hard and eating right for a year. Once you pack on the muscle you have to eat considerably more EVERY DAY (of the right food) just to maintain what you've gained.

Maybins natural bodyweight is probable something like 210-215. Not even close to the Jason Taylors and Simeon Rices of the league...the type of player he most closely resembles.

Look at successful guys..they may add a few pounds of muscle by lifting, but not that much. Most of what they have is genetic. You can't beat genetics.

That's his fatal flaw, combine that with his lack of pass rush moves and you have what we see.

BillsWin
10-27-2010, 01:37 AM
He's too damn small. He needs to go on a big protein diet and hit the gym like a bad habit.

jamze132
10-27-2010, 06:10 AM
Maybin was Dick Jauron's going away present to the Bills.