PDA

View Full Version : Video: NFL Official Review Forward Progress Call

thesquirrelking
10-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Don't know if this was already posted or not, but thought it was an interesting explanation...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/09000d5d81baa832/Official-review-Questions-in-Baltimore

G Wolly
10-27-2010, 07:53 PM
I don't even have to watch the video.

At first I thought the play should've been dead, but because our guys tried to push him forward and they did, forward progress was never halted, thus a fair play.

MikeInRoch
10-27-2010, 07:56 PM
I'd love to hear the review of the interception...

Commissioner
10-27-2010, 07:57 PM
i can't see the video... what does it say?

G Wolly
10-27-2010, 08:00 PM
i can't see the video... what does it say?

I don't even have to watch the video.

At first I thought the play should've been dead, but because our guys tried to push him forward and they did, forward progress was never halted, thus a fair play.

Electrici
10-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Eisen brings up a good point about Lewis picking him up. But with the Bills pushing forward for the extra yards, its really an open and shut case.

Oaf
10-27-2010, 09:50 PM
I also would like to have heard the explanation on the Corner pick.

Thief
10-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Um guys, there is an explanation of the Corner pick. However, they didn't talk about the "carry out" or the PI.

wmoz11
10-27-2010, 10:02 PM
If you watch the video, they lead off with the explanation of the Corner pick.

It's pretty much what we all knew already; you have to get your feet on the field of play - not an opponent that happens to be in the field of play.

EricStratton
10-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Before the linemen pushed him forward he was picked up and stopped moving.

The whistle could and should have blown before the linemen even got involved.

ServoBillieves
10-27-2010, 10:45 PM
His momentum did stop, for a good second. That's asinine to say he didn't.

Figster
10-27-2010, 11:31 PM
I also would like to have heard the explanation on the Corner pick.

Same thing that's been said, two feet (or two parts of the body) have to come down in bounds and coming down on a player doesn't count.

The way I look at it is a pass can be defended by keeping the receiver from coming down in bounds now so in essence Corner became the receiver, Boldin became the defender and forced the reception/INT to occur out of bounds.

The elbow coming down in bounds never even come up in the discussion, or the offensive pass interference for that matter.

rcd333
10-27-2010, 11:39 PM
the rule is very murky due to the fact that it doesn't specify how long forward progress must be stopped to blow the play dead.

Figster
10-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Before the linemen pushed him forward he was picked up and stopped moving.

The whistle could and should have blown before the linemen even got involved.

We can't fault the officials for allowing the forward shove/progress to take place in my opinion, it happens all the time, but what bothers me is the gang lifting of the ball carrier before the ball is ripped out by probably one of the strongest players in the NFL.

Ray Lewis will remember how he took matters into his own hands and pulled out a victory, and he will keep it in his arsenal for future reference.

G Wolly
10-28-2010, 01:08 AM
His momentum did stop, for a good second. That's asinine to say he didn't.

Well.

If our linemen didn't try to push him forward, then it would've stopped for sure.

Buddo
10-28-2010, 04:56 AM
I can see how the Zebras got the 'forward progress' call wrong. There was only a pretty small 'window' when Nelson actually did stop, although he also went slightly backwards at that point, and these 'split second' decisions can go either way. The one thing that was made clear, was that there is no rule that says a player has to be on his feet, to be making forward progress. That's fair enough, in respect of diving or falling forward, but Nelson was doing neither.
I'm not so sure that anybody (from around here), didn't become pretty clear on what the rulings were, in a very short space of time. All the video does is attempt to 'clarify' them. It doesn't do anything to say that there might have been additional concerns with what was being called. While a 'knee' was mentioned in respect of getting something else down apart from both feet, no mention was made about 'elbows'. There was nothing at all mentioned about any pass interference, either.
Apart from getting to see the two plays again, the whole thing is about as much use as a chocolate teapot, and tbh, if it wasn't for Eisen's prompting, the 'Head Ref' would have likely made a pig's ear of the explanations.

ChristopherWalken
10-28-2010, 07:25 AM
If he had broken the tackle during the teammate push then gained 15 yards (rather than fumbling the football), I'm willing to bet that Ravens fans would be asking the same forward progress questions today.

jamze132
10-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Well if Whitner didn't drop the gift-wrapped pick-6, we probably wouldn't be worrying about the officials decisions.

madness
10-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Well if Whitner didn't drop the gift-wrapped pick-6, we probably wouldn't be worrying about the officials decisions.

I'm not worrying about it. Nelson should have just held on to the damn ball.

PromoTheRobot
10-28-2010, 11:10 AM
They cut out the part where the NFL official says "We love making life hell for the Bills. In fact we sit around trying to think of new evil ways to screw them over."

PTR