PDA

View Full Version : Do the next 10 games matter?

Extremebillsfan247
10-28-2010, 05:33 AM
After watching the turn around on offense against the Ravens, this question has popped up on the WGR550 radio this morning, and I think it's a really good question. I thought I would throw this question in here to see what you think.

The main discussion surrounded Ryan Fitzpatrick and what do you do with him if he continues his highly productive output. Do you resign him? it wont be cheap, or let him go, and get a QB with the first pick risking a chance of that QB turning out to not pan out? It's a tough question because even though Fitzpatrick has been primarily a backup throughout his career, he is only 27 years old. If he continues to play well, it will be awfully hard to overlook. JMO

Yasgur's Farm
10-28-2010, 05:53 AM
Extend both Fitz and Brohm... And draft a QB... ONLY IF HE'S BPA! Fitz is in the process of proving he is a successful starter in this league. If we draft a QB... And in a year or 2 he's ready... It will make it easier to trade Fritz if he has a legit contract.

Brohm, IMO, has potential as well. And has become a valuable back-up with his, now a year, experience with Buffalo.

Extremebillsfan247
10-28-2010, 06:05 AM
Extend both Fitz and Brohm... And draft a QB... ONLY IF HE'S BPA! Fitz is in the process of proving he is a successful starter in this league. If we draft a QB... And in a year or 2 he's ready... It will make it easier to trade Fritz if he has a legit contract.

Brohm, IMO, has potential as well. And has become a valuable back-up with his, now a year, experience with Buffalo.

A top draft pick QB is going to be mighty expensive. I don't know how long Ralph would be willing to wait before demanding to see results from his newly drafted multi million dollar QB. I don't know, but I think if QB is the direction this team goes in the draft with the first pick that Fitz will be done in Buffalo.

However, if we resign Fitz, we may not draft a QB with our first pick precisely because Ralph isn't going to want to pay all that money to a rookie QB and have him sit on the bench. My thinking here is that if Fitz continues to play as well as he has, and the Bills manage to resign him, they will probably hope to have one of the QBs in the draft slip to a later round where they may get lucky enough to draft him, and sure up some defense, or the Oline. Of course, I'm probably going to get ripped on here for this, but it's an assumption that could play out. In my opinion, Fitz playing well is a double edged sword for obvious reasons.

So in light of what I mentioned here, I think the next 10 games are very important and do matter because what happens from here on out could determine which direction we go in the draft even if we go winless. JMO

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
10-28-2010, 07:24 AM
IMO I think if Fitz continues to play like he has. OBD will not be drafting a QB in the first round next year.

Stewie
10-28-2010, 07:30 AM
Let me get this right, the question is:

'if our #2 rated QB finishes the season as the #2 rated QB, do we want to keep him or draft a 20 year old multimillionaire with a 50/50 shot of working out.'

Really?

Dujek
10-28-2010, 08:13 AM

'if our #2 rated QB finishes the season as the #2 rated QB, do we want to keep him or draft a 20 year old multimillionaire with a 50/50 shot of working out.'

Really?

Seems to be the long and short of it.

If Fitz puts up the numbers he's on pace to put up then he stays and we draft defense all day long.

Ed
10-28-2010, 10:47 AM
If Fitz continues his highly productive output as you say, then we thank our lucky stars that we finally have a competent qb in Buffalo. Having players step up over the next 10 weeks and show that they can be a contributer and building block of the future can only benefit this team. The more progress and improvement we can see this year, the more hopeful we can be about a brighter future.

justasportsfan
10-28-2010, 10:52 AM
yes it matters. We have the league where we want them. Now we're going to win out and 10-6 will take us to the playoffs. Bills were sandbagging all this time.

PromoTheRobot
10-28-2010, 01:14 PM
The next 10 games matter if we go 9-1.

PTR

PromoTheRobot
10-28-2010, 01:15 PM

Really?

Makes total sense in the bizarro world of fan forums.

PTR

OpIv37
10-28-2010, 01:45 PM
The next 10 games matter if we go 9-1.

PTR

9-7 probably won't get us into the playoffs.

I'm OK with 1-9 as long as the 1 is over the Patriots.

ddaryl
10-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm pretty sure there is going to be a cap on rookie salaries in the next cba

therefore the fear of the overly expensive 1st overall draft pick should be subdued some.

and hell yes if BPA is a QB then you draft him. Fitz can be a stop gap.

This is not Bizzaro world, this is a very big reality... We can use the rest of the draft on D then...

Mahdi
10-28-2010, 01:56 PM
The next 10 games will define what we are next year and also highlight exactly what we need to draft.

If we are going to be a winner next year these last 10 games will go a long way towards achieving that.

Stevie J. is a perfect example, even though we are 0-6 at least we know we don't need to draft a WR as high as we thought.

Positions are up for grabs, development is ongoing from week to week and learning to win also.

Fitz must be re-signed whether we draft a new QB or not. His value as someone who knows the offense and can produce is very high. Him being only 27 means he can be a starter for the next 5 years at least.

djjimkelly
10-28-2010, 01:57 PM
1 game does not make a top notch qb.

im cheering for fitzy to keep us respectable so FA's will consider us as a destination.

but fitz as a long term solution here is laughable

ill remind people stats sometimes lie

chargers #1 offense #1 defense = 2-5

G Wolly
10-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Of course they matter.

When the season ends 10 - 6 we won't have the first overall pick after we win the division, make the playoffs, and win that Super Bowl.

/dream

Mahdi
10-28-2010, 02:27 PM

im cheering for fitzy to keep us respectable so FA's will consider us as a destination.

QB rating and team stats are hardly comparable. Fitz is performing well and that is a fact. If he continues to perform well throughout the season he will be the starter next year.

homeslice5484
10-28-2010, 04:11 PM
It amazes me how people want close games but still a loss to keep the #1 pick. I want to win, no matter what. The rest will take care of itself.

Buffalo Thriller
10-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Say we do draft Luck,Locker,Mallet etc. They will most likely start. No-one will stand by Fitz for two years with a top QB on the bench

homeslice5484
10-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Say we do draft Luck,Locker,Mallet etc. They will most likely start. No-one will stand by Fitz for two years with a top QB on the bench

I would assume there will be a rookie cap so he won't be making the Bradford money, but you still don't draft a QB high and let him sit.

The only worry I have is if the D doesn't get better, that kids gonna be playing from behind every game.

Buffalo Thriller
10-28-2010, 04:30 PM
I would assume there will be a rookie cap so he won't be making the Bradford money, but you still don't draft a QB high and let him sit.

The only worry I have is if the D doesn't get better, that kids gonna be playing from behind every game.

Hopefully we draft Luck #1, Theres a holdout, no 2011 season. We would get the #1 pick by default and draft Defence.

homeslice5484
10-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Hopefully we draft Luck #1, Theres a holdout, no 2011 season. We would get the #1 pick by default and draft Defence.

So your saying we could get the #1 pick 2 years in a row if theres a lockout?

Buffalo Thriller
10-28-2010, 04:53 PM
So your saying we could get the #1 pick 2 years in a row if theres a lockout?

Yes I believe so. Thats the #1 pick in the rest of the rounds as well, so cream of the crop in all 7 rounds.

Mr. Pink
10-28-2010, 05:28 PM
The only thing they matter in is evaluating talent for next year.

We just played a 20 game preseason, hope you enjoyed it!

Extremebillsfan247
10-28-2010, 07:25 PM

Really?Actually no, the question is about the fate of this teams draft based on what happens over the remaining 10 game stretch, how it could change based on the performance of Fitzpatrick, whether these games matter in that respect.

TigerJ
10-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Obviously, Buffalo has already removed itself from any discussion of the playoffs , but I still think the games matter because the team still needs to learn how to win. If they can win some games in the second half of the season, I think they will be preparing themselves psychologically to be better next season. If they play the whole season and can't get more than 3-4 wins, I think they leave themselves with a pschological hurdle that will take some effort to get over next season.

If Fitz continues to play well, and especially if he can further reduce the percentage of wild passes, QB becomes a lower priority in the draft. Right now, Buffalo needs big, tough, athletic defensive players at DL and linebacker. That's what the next draft has to be about. I think Buffalo is still likely to draft a QB somewhere in the next draft if one is the BPA, but the odds of it being in the first round are dropping.

Luisito23
10-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Fitz will Not continue to play this way...I remember him having a 500+ yard game when he was with the Rams a couple of years back, but nothing came out of that. He is what he is, and people need to realize that, and stop thinking crazy things. He's a perfect backup who will have a great game every now, and nothing else.

I guarantee he will come back to earth this Sunday.

Luisito23
10-29-2010, 01:35 PM
QB becomes a lower priority in the draft.

How many more decades are you going to continue to say that?

Nighthawk
10-29-2010, 01:39 PM
How many more decades are you going to continue to say that?

It really is amazing how many Bills fans have completely lost their minds with one good game from a career backup.

Stewie
10-29-2010, 02:40 PM

all we need to do is win 14 games in a row. No problem.

Hogwasher
10-29-2010, 10:33 PM
I want to win them. I want us to be a team nobody wants to play. i want our guys to have a little pride, and the franchise to look like it is moving up.

Spiderweb
10-30-2010, 02:19 AM
The next 10 games will define what we are next year and also highlight exactly what we need to draft.

If we are going to be a winner next year these last 10 games will go a long way towards achieving that.

Stevie J. is a perfect example, even though we are 0-6 at least we know we don't need to draft a WR as high as we thought.

Positions are up for grabs, development is ongoing from week to week and learning to win also.

Fitz must be re-signed whether we draft a new QB or not. His value as someone who knows the offense and can produce is very high. Him being only 27 means he can be a starter for the next 5 years at least.

One game and a couple garbage time TD catches does not qualify "Stevie" as an answer to any question(s). At least not yet.......

Yet, with Johnson beginning to be noticed, David Nelson, and Marcus Easley back next year.....I would agree WR may not be an urgent need.

better days
10-30-2010, 02:40 PM
One game and a couple garbage time TD catches does not qualify "Stevie" as an answer to any question(s). At least not yet.......

Yet, with Johnson beginning to be noticed, David Nelson, and Marcus Easley back next year.....I would agree WR may not be an urgent need.

By the time they go to camp next season, WR may be the biggest strength of the team.