PDA

View Full Version : Whitner on Bills Struggles vs. TEs

homeslice5484
10-28-2010, 04:27 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/Whitner-Outlines-Bills--Struggles-with-TE-s/8455908

Whitner Outlines Bills' Struggles with TE's

Joe Buscaglia Reporting
JoeB@wgr550.com

Orchard Park, NY (WGR 550) -- Buffalo Bills safety Donte Whitner has been scrutinized more than any other season he's experienced so far.

The former 2006 first round pick has been noticed by the fan base for being out of position and not following through on his assignment when he's covering a tight end down the field.

Whitner had a chance to address some of those concerns with the media.

"It's different coverages that we're using," said the Bills safety. "It's not really one guy on a tight end, you don't want to show your hand like that. We've played some really good tight ends. They've scored some touchdowns and we have to do better against them. But we're not doing that right now. We have to be better against the tight ends that we face. "

Head coach Chan Gailey mentioned yesterday that Whitner does so much for the team on the field that sometimes he gets lost on a play.

"I make all the calls out there," remarked Whitner. "[I] set the defensive secondary where guys should go and where they shouldn't go and where the blitz should come from."

Whitner was asked point blank if he was struggling in general with the Bills' adaptation to the 3-4 defensive scheme.

"I don't feel like that's the case. My coaching staff doesn't feel like that's the case," stated Whitner. "Sometimes some of those plays out there if you sit down and watch them, you'd know the insight of the coverage and where guys are supposed to be."

Buffalo got back to practice on Thursday without only one player on the practice field.

Both Jairus Byrd and Demetrius Bell returned to practice after missing on Wednesday. The lone player absent was offensive tackle Cornell Green, who's still dealing with a knee injury.

Gailey said Bell just needed a rest day after playing through a lot of the game on Sunday. Byrd, Terrence McGee and Keith Ellison were all limited at practice on Thursday.

Twitter: @JoeB_WGR

DrGraves
10-28-2010, 04:30 PM
I wish whitner would just say "It's plain an simple, the tight ends are better than me. I can't cover them."

more cowbell
10-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Q: Is Whitner the worst starting SS in the NFL?

A: Yes

Ed
10-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Whitner claiming that he makes all the calls and tells people where to go and where not to go and where the blitz should come from doesn't seem like something to be that proud of when your defense is one of the worst in the history of the league.

kingJofNYC
10-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Here's the problem with putting this all on Whitner, if you look at the numbers when Fewell was here there's a stark contrast with what's going on this season. Very rarely would a TE, even a top flight TE, put up the kind of numbers we're seeing this season.

It's the scheme.

Jan Reimers
10-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Q: Is Whitner the worst starting SS in the NFL?
No. Not even close. He hasn't justified his 8th overall pick, but he's a decent SS.

Nighthawk
10-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Nope, he's playing like an All-Pro...just ask him and the coaches!!!

Mr. Pink
10-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Good to know that he also doesn't know the proper coverage calls back there too!

YardRat
10-28-2010, 05:39 PM
"...and where the blitz should come from."

That should be a pretty easy call, considering we don't.

Nighthawk
10-28-2010, 05:43 PM
That should be a pretty easy call, considering we don't.

And again, it all comes back to the DC and how clueless he looks out there...

dasaybz
10-28-2010, 05:54 PM
he's a decent SS. Based on what?
Whitner is horrible and has taken a couple steps back this year. He is getting burned on a weekly basis and is horrible in run support. He should be benched.

YardRat
10-28-2010, 08:02 PM
I blame the LBers more than I do the safeties for the TE situation.

Thief
10-28-2010, 08:24 PM
He doesn't think he is struggling, only the other 10 people are.

If he seriously thinks he isn't struggling, is that his way of saying this is the best he can play?